Page 3333 of 3342 FirstFirst ... 233328333233328333233328333133323333333433353338 ... LastLast
Results 66,641 to 66,660 of 66839

Thread: Type-Moon Fanfic Idea Thread

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Go ham my man
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Okay here is the idea:
    Quote Originally Posted by Breogan, post: 58386991, member: 313011
    A fic prompted me to articulate why I don't feel King Hassan is appropriate as a protagonist Servant even if you write him well, and why he can't carry a storyline, and that also prompted me to ask myself "who is a good protagonist Servant?"

A fair bit of the sn cast would work well for obvious reasons -- they all have their own stuff going on, a good amount of background to work with and adaptability to different situations depending on the story you want to tell and how -- but that is the easy answer and so, feels unsatisfactory. Ironically, that same story also happened to have the actual perfect protagonist Servant for a stay night AU, just not in said role.

Now, bear with me for a bit.

Spoiler:
    Medb. Holy shit it's so glaringly obvious.

Don't leave yet, sit down, strap in, we need to start getting into background and interactions and t h e m a t i c s.

Okay, so, for a summary in Medb's history for those who haven't gone beyond the point of no return: broad strokes starts us off with Medb married to Conchobar, but their marriage fucking sucked even though they had a kid and she left him. Medb's dad decided to just marry one of her sisters to Conchobar to replace her, but Medb murdered her because the sheer fucking gall of thinking she could be replaced, so her dad got it into his head "hey, marrying her off might be uh, detrimental" so he just invaded and deposed the King of Connacht, installed Medb in his place and dumped her there.

So with the king as her lover but no say in things, she rules undisputed. Flash forward, Conchobar and her meet again, Conchobar assaults Medb, her husband challenges him but loses, forcing Medb to flee. She takes the commander that got her to safety as husband and has an affair with Ailil mac Máta (who you might know as the guy that was responsable for Fergus' death). When the new husband finds out, Ailil kills him and becomes the next husband.

From that point onward, Medb has a fuckton of lovers and basically does whatever the fuck she wants (including invading Ulster for a bull and engineering the death of Cú Chulainn) until the point of her death. You might know these storied events as the Táin Bó Cúailnge.

Okay, very, very broad strokes background gotten over with. Observe that Medb's life from the start was defined as being a bargaining chip and she very clearly did not like it, then she was dropped like a hot potato when she made that displeasure known. If that weren't enough, when you look past the sex, you also see a very defining aspect of her character: Medb is absolutely addicted to being in control of everything around her.

She loves using people, she loves having power over people, because that is really the only way she knows how to interact with people. Her entire background is full of backstabbing, manipulation and falsity, so obviously she defaults to that in every single interaction. Justice and miracles don't exist, the only thing you can trust is yourself and your capacity to outplay everyone around you.

That is why she clashes and becomes obsessed with Cú so much, because Cú has done the single most unforgivable thing in Medb's eyes: he didn't hate her.

She wanted him to love her, to submit like everyone else, because that'd mean she had won, but he didn't. That's okay, that's alright, being loved is ideal, but she can work with that, after all if someone hates you that means you can work around that hate and still come out on top. Yet despite everything she did, from invading his country for the pettiest reasons to causing him to fight his best friend to the death, Cú still doesn't hate her because as a person, he's really weird by our standards and that sort of thing just isn't a reason to hate somebody. He doesn't like her, but he also doesn't hate her. He's just "meh, annoying."

Love is ideal, she could deal with hatred, but indifference is absolutely unforgivable, and this all stems back to that addiction to control.

Her own idea of what "love" is has already been tainted by that, because she defines being loved as being put on a pedestal and everyone offering up their everything to her alone, and that is why she is so obsessed -- and in later My Room lines you actually see her doubting that, because every interaction she has ever had has been colored by the fact that people wanted to use her -- for her power, for her ruthlessness, for her kingdom, for her smoking hot body -- so she doesn't know what a "genuine" thing is at all. Even in her interlude she cannot fathom the idea that someone'd want her because of who she is, she shoots down the idea that she is a good person deep down, and even if she wants a husband that loves her unconditionally and can be described as the ideal, caring man who is not mean, who is not afraid and who is never jealous of her, she will never work to become the kind of person that deserves someone like that even in the slightest.

And that is why Cú will never fall for her, because even if she has an iron will, she will just never work to improve herself, because her issues are for everyone but herself to deal with, as opposed to Cú going the "my issues are my own." on the other end of the spectrum. They are similar, but also absolutely incompatible in the ways they do divert.

So we take someone like this -- an objectively terrible person who doesn't want to be better, who is awful but also strives for the genuine nonetheless -- and you drop her with someone like Shirou who does everything for the sake of others and whose entire reason for improving himself is being more effective at doing so, whose desires are still at this point something he took up from someone else instead of developing his own.

How does she even deal with this?! Who the hell is this guy to come in and do these things and be this way? Regardless of the route Shirou goes through, there is an intrinsic selflessness to himself that both Medb and Cú lack, so there isn't even the unexplored common ground of defining yourself through your accomplishments and victories and pride, because he just doesn't. He is in some ways even more distant to her than Cú ever was, and that'd drive her nuts because it isn't like this is some random guy she can just ignore -- this is her anchor, this is the one that bears the Command Mantra, this is the man that called her to the modern era.

And he defines worth as how much he can do for others, honestly and almost self-destructively, where Medb defines worth as how much others can do for herself to the point they break.

So how does it develop? Is the endgame two diametrically opposed viewpoints clashing and leaving only seething hatred, is it Shirou understanding that being selfish doesn't need to be so bad, is it Medb understanding that she will never have what she wants unless she changes up her act? Is it them having this passive-aggressive dumpster fire where they each try to influence the other?

This is so awful.

I love it.

Add it to my "need to write it, even as a one-shot" tab.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breogan, post: 58388932, member: 313011
    The clash of wanting others to offer their everything to you so as to feel like you've won and thinking that only if everyone else has submitted will you have the unconditional love you seek versus living for the sake of others in order to find your own happiness because you were left with the impression that living for your own sake was wrong. Abandoning the individual for the sake of the collective versus putting the individual at the center of the collective,
    Last edited by warellis; June 14th, 2019 at 07:48 PM.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't Semiramis fall into that same category as well?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Wouldn't Semiramis fall into that same category as well?
    Semiramis ruled better. Also isn't she decadent more due to feeling royalty should be decadent?

That and Semiramis seems a little more moral. Medb murdered her sister out of spite for her father feeling she could be replaced. Semiramis murdered her husband because he murdered her previous husband.

Finally, Breogan just isn't as interested in Semiramis as he is Medb I guess, from what he mentioned.
    Last edited by warellis; June 15th, 2019 at 02:29 AM.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Even then, Semiramis viewed both husbands as mere stepping stones to power in her own right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Even then, Semiramis viewed both husbands as mere stepping stones to power in her own right.
    Yeah but she seemed to really care for her first husband before he was essentially forced to commit suicide by her second husband.

Also, I doubt any of the 5th War Masters could really provide her "power."

And didn't she fall for Amakusa mostly because he didn't seem to care about her looks or power at all?

Granted I don't know if it's similar or different than how Shirou seems to treat most Servants, outside of life-and-death situations, as just well "normal" I guess.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    A fun fluff idea: Post Fate or during HA when everyone is still alive and mostly happy, one of Shirou's classmates in the kendo club comes to him for help. They're going to the nationals and want to use Taiga's old Shinai in the contest as a send up to their teacher but it just feels off for some reason, so they go to the school's handyman to see if he can figure out what's the issue. Shirou takes a look at it that night and using his magic sees a bunch of snippets of Taigas history while he does. Her in school, Hanging around Kerry, looking after Shirou, etc. Nice heartwarming stuff overall.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    A fun fluff idea: Post Fate or during HA when everyone is still alive and mostly happy, one of Shirou's classmates in the kendo club comes to him for help. They're going to the nationals and want to use Taiga's old Shinai in the contest as a send up to their teacher but it just feels off for some reason, so they go to the school's handyman to see if he can figure out what's the issue. Shirou takes a look at it that night and using his magic sees a bunch of snippets of Taigas history while he does. Her in school, Hanging around Kerry, looking after Shirou, etc. Nice heartwarming stuff overall.
    Gotou after watching another samurai series wants to try out for the Kendo club gozaru. However, a brave samurai like himself needs a fitting weapon. The only one that will satisfy him is the legendary Tora-Shinai, one of the seven wonders of the Homurahara. He asks Shirou steal it for him to use for the tryouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Then he get's disqualified just like Taiga did because of the strap on it.

Running away from Falconetti AsGryffynn's Avatar
    Does anyone know how to contact GB? I fully intend to take his "Shirou turns into a DA and enters Yokai Academy" idea into a thing now that I've realized I'm simply not gonna agree with the canon purists and want to legitimize crack fics in this fandom, at least until the apathy destroys the elitism.

Blog Entries
    Most people look less owned when complaining about a forum if done off said forum
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    I really don’t care what it is, but I want something light featuring Tamamo. Moon Cell or Chaldea, doesn’t matter.

And yes, I’m working on several of these, I’m just frustrated at the lack of attention Best Fox gets…
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I was thinking of writing a story about a young magus, not particularly talented, whose circumstance led him to a life resigned as a butler to the main family his was connected to. Through some circumstance, the family meets a gruesome end, and he is left as the only person who can take care of his late master's heir as that heir is hunted down by even more formidable magi. I haven't quite decided if the main family's magic crest is either already within the young heir, or if it was perhaps, haphazardly lumped onto the butler in a last ditch effort to preserve it.

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Story of a magus bodyguard? I could get into that.

"Haphazardly lumping" a Magic Crest onto someone (even if they are a biological fit) is a pretty good way to kill them. Not to say it's a bad idea storywise, just that it's something you should probably keep in mind if you decide to go down that route.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    That was definitely the plan. The beginning of the story would be the butler dealing with the extreme rejection due to it's shoddy transfer as he searched for a tuner. Until he found one, it would add a layer to the drama. Once he did find one, however, it could possibly lead to an internal struggle. The butler, who didn't much care for his old master, and was denied his own family's magic crest, could decide to try and keep the crest for himself so he can be a mage of some renown, or he could give up that chance to help a boy he wasn't particularly found of gain his own birthright, allowing him to somewhat protect himself. Essentially, try to make him either act like a selfish magus, or an alright human.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydvs View Post
    could decide to try and keep the crest for himself so he can be a mage of some renown
    sounds like a good way to get murdered
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Sure does, but I dunno. Sounds like something a magus would do. Why trust some young kid with a crest when you could surely put it to better use, you know? And given the butler's circumstance, he's never had the opportunity to be the mage he dreamed of being as a kid, so perhaps that selfish desire to be more than he was before will lead him to keep a crest that doesn't belong to him.

Currently working on something about the Scladio family and the aftermath of Galvarosso's death, in a vain attempt at emulating true-crime authors like Nicholas Pileggi. Wiseguy but for mages, essentially. Hopefully.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tydvs View Post
    That was definitely the plan. The beginning of the story would be the butler dealing with the extreme rejection due to it's shoddy transfer as he searched for a tuner. Until he found one, it would add a layer to the drama. Once he did find one, however, it could possibly lead to an internal struggle. The butler, who didn't much care for his old master, and was denied his own family's magic crest, could decide to try and keep the crest for himself so he can be a mage of some renown, or he could give up that chance to help a boy he wasn't particularly found of gain his own birthright, allowing him to somewhat protect himself. Essentially, try to make him either act like a selfish magus, or an alright human.
    I'd say give the Young Mage the Crest, and have him going through the tuning issues. Gives the MC a bit of a ticking clock, have to find someone before the kid dies, but also means that he can't just Crest his way out of trouble and has to be smarter about things. You could keep the "Steal or Not" issue too, just have it offered by the Tuner when they finally get there.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    That's a good idea. I think I like that more than the alternative.