Page 228 of 252 FirstFirst ... 128178218223226227228229230233238 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,560 of 5024

Thread: Mass Effect

Blog Entries
    They make AAA RPGs. They kinda have to make combat a central pillar of their game design. You're not selling a main character diplomat. I'm just grateful they give a damn about your character's dialogue in the first place, unlike the other AAA WRPG maker.

(It's also worth pointing out that they did begin on Shattered Steel, for all that there's probably no-one left from that incarnation of the company, and very few who remember the days you could claim to have played it in your profile on the several-generations-back BioBoards).

Musing on BioWare's protagonists and how they came to end up being fighters, it's kind of interesting.

Gorion's Ward: Adventurer by circumstance (birth)
    Hero of Neverwinter: Adventurer by choice
    Does the SoU/HotU protag even have a title?: Adventurer by choice
    Revan: Soldier of some description (choice or circumstance)/Jedi Knight conscript & Revan (birth)
    Spirit Monk: Martial artist and adventurer by circumstance (upbringing & birth)
    Grey Warden: Conscript by circumstance (life event)
    Shepard: Soldier by choice
    Hawke: Adventurer by circumstance (life event)
    Inquisistor: Adventurer/Overlord of half the continent by circumstance (life event)
    Pathfinder: Presumably soldier by choice

SWTOR & Sonic: lol

I remember all the discussion about how ME might represent a corner turned in terms of rejection a 'Chosen One' RPG archetype, reliant on an old boring/outdated/aristo-monarchical construct, because your character chose themselves by enlisting. Seems to me like the ME1/DA:O period might indeed have been the turning point, but it was merely away from your calling being innate (and even then NWN had already bucked the trend), rather than necessarily toward heroes entering themselves in the lists, as it were. Which is fine, I think, but interesting to note in retrospect.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Banned
    Bioware cares about dialogue but that doesn't make them good at it.

I realize they won't step away from the shooty Messiah arpg, I just wish they would.

- - - Updated - - -

Or at least go for something less obvious. Like DA2 tried to.

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Too bad, have a Space Abraham with your Space Moses.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I remember all the discussion about how ME might represent a corner turned in terms of rejection a 'Chosen One' RPG archetype, reliant on an old boring/outdated/aristo-monarchical construct, because your character chose themselves by enlisting. Seems to me like the ME1/DA:O period might indeed have been the turning point, but it was merely away from your calling being innate (and even then NWN had already bucked the trend), rather than necessarily toward heroes entering themselves in the lists, as it were. Which is fine, I think, but interesting to note in retrospect.
    The first two DA games had the strongest lack of a 'chosen one' in my opinion. DA:O had a legend that needed to be fulfilled sure, but there wasn't just The Warden that could accomplish it. You also had Alistair, Loghain, and Morrigan to help you out and take that burden. DA2 you were just some rando caught between two sides in a cold war. Sure you kicked a ton of ass, but most of that stuff would have probably happened anyways, with or without you there.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

What if I don't want to be the chosen one for once.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Mass effect: bob from accounting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Honestly, does the actual gameplay still look more like a beta build than a finished product to anyone else? That worries me more.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No improvement in character movement and lipsyncing visible in the trailer either.
    fwiw apparently that's "still a work in progress"

Biohyuu

- - - Updated - - -

genuinely I wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed again
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

I can not play the game, that's my choice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    Honestly, does the actual gameplay still look more like a beta build than a finished product to anyone else? That worries me more.
    Having watched the trailer again, I'm not too sure what to think about this: most of it is rapid cuts out-of-context, and the one more lengthy glimpse of combat that we do get seems superficially similar but also vastly different from previous ME gameplay. I agree, though, that combat-wise it seems pretty unpolished. The problem with that is we don't have any way of properly judging gameplay until we get a chance at playing the game itself, which is obviously too late for anything to be changed.

It seems much more interestingly fluid than ME3, and I can believe that BioWare could do interesting things with level design, but ultimately this is a trailer. It's all made up of choice cuts, so naturally some things will be overrepresented and others underrepresented.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Well if these are their choice cuts, I dunno man.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I have no idea. Marketing for this so far has been bizarre, honestly.

Virgin Killer Clothing Model ILurkNoMoar's Avatar
    I seriously hope I'm not going to have to scour every planet for rocks and weeds to make new equipment with only marginal improvements over the last set in order to say competitive, I'd rather send npcs to do that for me. Also hope the command table/galaxy map won't be a total mess like the war room in Inquisition.

マリーの味方
    Quote Originally Posted by ILurkNoMoar View Post
    I'd rather send npcs to do that for me.
    i'd rather not do it at all

Blog Entries
    Why yes, crafting unique overpowered prototype guns does ​sound fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Bring back the nuke launcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    Why yes, crafting unique overpowered prototype guns does ​sound fun.
    -Collect 6000 Aspartamian Shrubweeds in order to construct the Black Widow-

Blog Entries
    Ze actual gameplay trailer:

Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair