Page 243 of 252 FirstFirst ... 143193233238241242243244245248 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,860 of 5024

Thread: Mass Effect

  1. #4841
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six 2Bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SE Virginia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    11,325
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I don't even want to be the JRPG guy because I don't play those but the difference in conversational tone is quite staggering when talking about pandering conducted by a WRPG dev and their non-W cousins and it's always fun to point out, for friends.
    I've no problem shittalking JRPG pandering whatsoever.

  2. #4842
    Preformance Pertension SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    47,837
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I don't even want to be the JRPG guy because I don't play those but the difference in conversational tone is quite staggering when talking about pandering conducted by a WRPG dev and their non-W cousins and it's always fun to point out, for friends.
    fuck bioware i loved xiii just give me more of that shit
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  3. #4843
    The only Saber Clone that matters Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    24
    Posts
    5,410
    I mean it completely unironically when I say same

  4. #4844
    Preformance Pertension SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    47,837
    Blog Entries
    9
    like TO BE FRANK the problem is all the good bioware waifus are men and I'm feeling attacked right now as a hetboi
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  5. #4845
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six 2Bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SE Virginia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    11,325
    The solution is to femme it up and take it up

  6. #4846
    The only Saber Clone that matters Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    24
    Posts
    5,410
    i have the exact opposite problem with the bioware waifus

  7. #4847
    分かろうとするな、感じれ Mcjon01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,382
    Blog Entries
    1
    My Bioware waifu problem is that I like Tali but I hate everyone who likes Tali, up to and including myself.

  8. #4848
    Preformance Pertension SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    47,837
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    i have the exact opposite problem with the bioware waifus
    make everyone conditionally bi because there's usually one good romance per game on average and you gotta be able to get on that
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  9. #4849
    You're stupidity is terminal Five_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontariariario
    Age
    23
    Posts
    23,810
    JP Friend Code
    BN: FiveX#1720
    Blog Entries
    34
    From what I gather (intense hearsay, so grab your bags of salt) the reasoning behind a lot of problems with MEA is due to design team shuffling. Which, consequently, seems to have led to a near-reversal of a lot of art direction:

    https://my.mixtape.moe/yugchn.mp4

    (ignore the actual graphical issues, that's obv just shitty PC problems)
    The Manhattan Project: Is it a sin to kill for your country? In an age of nationalism, where do you draw the line between right and wrong? In the 1960s, eight people seek peace amidst war and tragedy.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Well if you ever want to make good posts, you know where to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Canada might be the ideal.
    [11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

  10. #4850
    Dead Apostle Eater Gally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    3,421
    JP Friend Code
    What are you, stupid?
    US Friend Code
    660, 519, 778
    Blog Entries
    4
    Final build - 2017 (on the lowest graphic settings)

  11. #4851
    Virgin Killer Clothing Model ILurkNoMoar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In Dark Places.
    Posts
    4,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    From what I gather (intense hearsay, so grab your bags of salt) the reasoning behind a lot of problems with MEA is due to design team shuffling. Which, consequently, seems to have led to a near-reversal of a lot of art direction:
    https://my.mixtape.moe/yugchn.mp4
    (ignore the actual graphical issues, that's obv just shitty PC problems)
    That's pretty sad, whenever I see examples from the pre-release builds I can't help but think that they looks way better then the final version.

    I mean come on, the Krogan with the gas grenade thing looks like a fucking clown in the final version.

  12. #4852
    You're stupidity is terminal Five_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontariariario
    Age
    23
    Posts
    23,810
    JP Friend Code
    BN: FiveX#1720
    Blog Entries
    34
    Tbh I'm not so much disappointed as I am baffled as to how things came to this point. I'm hoping the full story comes to light at some point after release.
    The Manhattan Project: Is it a sin to kill for your country? In an age of nationalism, where do you draw the line between right and wrong? In the 1960s, eight people seek peace amidst war and tragedy.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Well if you ever want to make good posts, you know where to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Canada might be the ideal.
    [11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

  13. #4853
    Κύρια Ἐλέησον Seika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perilous Hall
    Age
    24
    Posts
    12,411
    Blog Entries
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Whis View Post
    I should rephrase, ignore the "Depth" bit. It is strange, to me, if one is attempting to write a character as opposed to say, checking a box for marketing (and considering the utter brain drawn Bioware has gone through it is a struggle to give them credit for creative juices), to place something so core a person's identity in the hands of the PC when the character isn't the PC themselves. Does that make sense? Writing it in that fashion makes it harder for me to read your character as a distinct result of your creative process rather than something you've created for, yes, pandering to focus groups and whatnot.
    But the thing is that BioWare have specifically set up their core franchises - and, I expect, any future ones - so that sexuality isn't a key and defining characteristic (outside, to a limited extent, Thedosian nobility), in exactly the same way they've made skin colour a non-factor (contingent on species difference, granted). We consider sexuality a key identity component because the vast majority of human cultures since the dawn of time have made an issue of it in one way or another. We consider skin colour relevant because it's been a trigger for the xenophobia inherent to the human condition, and because of the specific legacies of European colonialism and slave-trading. These cultural factors either just don't exist in the BioWare verses, or they're relics of the past which are given no thought whatsoever. People may be gay or straight or whatever, but these are persistently treated as both personal quirks and complete non-issues. No-one is a black rights activist or a gay rights activist in their worlds, because there is no apparent need for such things.

    I wasn't just being glib when I mentioned the uber-progressive settings: it flies under the radar, but it's an integral part of why BioWare can do what they do with the array of sexualities they include in each game, and why they could flip everyone to apparent pansexuality in DAII and not change the world a jot. (And, thank goodness, why they don't have to repeat a gay realisation/coming-out/struggle story every single time they make a non-straight character). There are still hooks in place to address these issues - Dorian being the obvious extant example, and one might well imagine the societal issues a gay krogan might face - but they're positioned as rare exceptions to the rule not just of 'tolerance' but of 'total obliviousness', and remain remarkable for how seldom they're used.

    BioWare have systematically externalised these issues into fantasy metaphors of magic, space-magic, and species, while wiping the internal slate clean. You're searching for real-world elements which have been deliberately washed away. Now, you might well think that's all too pat and non-confrontational and affected, which is a fair position. I mentioned in my first post about this that I'd not kick up a fuss if someone else queer felt the DAII system was a representation cop-out. But, in the context of their world-building, your fundamental premise that sexuality need be a deeply embedded part of BioWare characters has no foundation.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

    If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

    Democracy on Beast's Lair

  14. #4854
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six 2Bad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    SE Virginia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    11,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    But the thing is that BioWare have specifically set up their core franchises - and, I expect, any future ones - so that sexuality isn't a key and defining characteristic (outside, to a limited extent, Thedosian nobility), in exactly the same way they've made skin colour a non-factor (contingent on species difference, granted). We consider sexuality a key identity component because the vast majority of human cultures since the dawn of time have made an issue of it in one way or another. We consider skin colour relevant because it's been a trigger for the xenophobia inherent to the human condition, and because of the specific legacies of European colonialism and slave-trading. These cultural factors either just don't exist in the BioWare verses, or they're relics of the past which are given no thought whatsoever. People may be gay or straight or whatever, but these are persistently treated as both personal quirks and complete non-issues. No-one is a black rights activist or a gay rights activist in their worlds, because there is no apparent need for such things.

    I wasn't just being glib when I mentioned the uber-progressive settings: it flies under the radar, but it's an integral part of why BioWare can do what they do with the array of sexualities they include in each game, and why they could flip everyone to apparent pansexuality in DAII and not change the world a jot. (And, thank goodness, why they don't have to repeat a gay realisation/coming-out/struggle story every single time they make a non-straight character). There are still hooks in place to address these issues - Dorian being the obvious extant example, and one might well imagine the societal issues a gay krogan might face - but they're positioned as rare exceptions to the rule not just of 'tolerance' but of 'total obliviousness', and remain remarkable for how seldom they're used.

    BioWare have systematically externalised these issues into fantasy metaphors of magic, space-magic, and species, while wiping the internal slate clean. You're searching for real-world elements which have been deliberately washed away. Now, you might well think that's all too pat and non-confrontational and affected, which is a fair position. I mentioned in my first post about this that I'd not kick up a fuss if someone else queer felt the DAII system was a representation cop-out. But, in the context of their world-building, your fundamental premise that sexuality need be a deeply embedded part of BioWare characters has no foundation.
    I mean do not mistake my complaints as a demand for every LGBT+ character to have a coming out story because that's an unholy nightmare we're finally escaping from. I do, however, think that, for something that takes itself as seriously as Mass Effect (I am just not even going to get started on Dragon Age because I hate DA for a whole host of reasons unrelated to any of this) to just try to sweep such business under the rug and have everything be a-okay rings a bit hollow, especially since what was originally a Star Trek RPG effectively about facing and just running from direct engagement with socio-political commentary is just another step back from the promise of ME1. You could of course argue that their creation of such a setting speaks for itself, and to a degree it does, but when their efforts are highlighted by such stellar examples as this latest T fiasco it is very hard to take them as genuine.

  15. #4855
    Surrender, but don't give yourself away. Prix of Heroes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,263
    Blog Entries
    9
    Leo thought it would be cool if I posted in this thread because I'm playing ME1 and have gotten further than I have before. I know the basic major spoilers and stuff but haven't taken the journey before. He said something like that this thread hadn't seen a new person opinion in a while, so. Here I am?

    I'm being femShep, earthborn, adept first.

    Since ancient times, the moon has carried magic, women, and death.

    Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Blog of Servant Sheets & Etc.


  16. #4856
    End of the Unknown Strife ❤️'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    9,490
    Blog Entries
    32
    It all returns to nothing, it all comes
    tumbling down, tumbling down,
    tumbling down


  17. #4857
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six asterism42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,993
    Blog Entries
    1
    It occurs to me that racism isn't a thing in either 'verse because speciesism is much more interesting. To slightly paraphrase Terry Pratchett, black and white work harmoniously together to gang up against green.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.

  18. #4858
    don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    in medias res
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,973
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    1
    Considering that pretty much all species except maybe hanar are just a type of human, it's not necessary to differentiate speciesm from ordinary racism.

  19. #4859
    난 다시 깨어나 꽃은 피어나 Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    4,056
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not saying how they did it isn't dumb af but bw characters have a long history of telling you their life story in the first 5 min of knowing you.


  20. #4860
    I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Unfortunate.
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    20,105
    JP Friend Code
    892,001,926
    US Friend Code
    443,446,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Not saying how they did it isn't dumb af but bw characters have a long history of telling you their life story in the first 5 min of knowing you.
    Hey, at least ME2 had you go on at least one mission with them before they'd write you the biography.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •