Thread: General Light Novel Thread

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Huh, did the author take a hiatus somewhere? I quit following the translation couple years ago and I swear they were up to vol 4 or 5 already.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    The translations just finished 9, but the series itself is at like 17.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Vol 2 of 86 was a little slow and even boring at times, being a weird midquel set before the epilogue of vol 1, but it got really hype towards the end. Also liked how it defined the specialties of every pilot. Lol @ Theo being literally an Attack on Titan LARPer in a mech. Frederica was a cute and nice addition.

Also read vols 6-9 of Dendro. Gotta wait for TLs of further vols now. Speaking of Dendro, they announced today theres some kind of chibi short anime airing in fall thats basically just gonna be infodumps about how the world and systems work??? Uhhhhh OK? The actual anime doesnt even have an air date or studio announced...

JK Haru is a sex worker in another world is probably the peak of the cheat isekai genre.

absolute kino in its purest form.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    TFW you finally find an isekai light novel that's not an otome villainess story or boring fluff, features a very solid dynamic between characters that I actually want to see progress into proper romance the more they stay together and actually has an interesting an serious setting with the fate of the world as stake, only to find out at the end of the translations that its been on hiatus since 2015 and the author has shown no interest in picking it back up: Why even live?

At least dead translations have a chance of me learning Japanese and buying the original novels, here there is no more story unless the author has a miraculous change of heart. I thought this was a fate I was confined to (and to giving others admittedly) in fanfic but it looks like light novels aren't immune to it, gueeh...

Once you go deep enough down the WN rabbit hole, you realise it's really not that different from long-running fanfics
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Talking about LN hiatus, Haruhi has been on hiatus for 8 years now. Thats 50% of its time existing.

Still causes me big headscratches that the franchise that was the king of otakusphere in mid-late 00s just withered away to irrelevance.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Once you go deep enough down the WN rabbit hole, you realise it's really not that different from long-running fanfics
    Gueeh...what makes it more annoying is that after going through the whole female protagonist tag I couldn't find anything else as good as it that I hadn't already started reading. And the author's one other story that was shown on the site didn't look as engaging (though that may just be because the art didn't look as impressive)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Talking about LN hiatus, Haruhi has been on hiatus for 8 years now. Thats 50% of its time existing.

Still causes me big headscratches that the franchise that was the king of otakusphere in mid-late 00s just withered away to irrelevance.
    Probably because I'm not American, I missed the whole Haruhi craze so hearing how it used to be such a big thing is kind of amazing.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Well, even the last two novels came much delayed after the author went and did other things. Maybe he's just plain tired or out of ideas for it.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

Then there's the permanent haitus'- when the author just fucking dies e.g. Trinity blood (at least it had a great stopping point even if so much shit wasn't resolved)

Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    Probably because I'm not American, I missed the whole Haruhi craze so hearing how it used to be such a big thing is kind of amazing.
    You were also super young during peak "haruhiism" so its understandable. I know younger people get sucked into the internet earlier than ever but even so I think 6-10 years old sounds a little implausible to get heavily tangled into weird internet anime communities.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange_One View Post
    Well, even the last two novels came much delayed after the author went and did other things. Maybe he's just plain tired or out of ideas for it.
    Oh he most definitely is out of ideas, and very likely has no plans of ever continuing. I just wish he'd end it officially.

I wish authors who abandon their stories would just release a book stating their plans and outline rather than leaving their readers in the dark forever, it would at least help a bit by giving dedicated fanfic writers a baseline to work with

Stories are like babies, even if you abandon them you don't want anyone else raising them without you either.

...Wait, this doesn't make sense. Anyway, just because an author ran out of ideas or stopped writing something doesn't mean they don't care about it, and the longer it's gone on the more unlikely it is an author can distance themselves from it enough to let someone else take the reins.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

JP Friend Code
    Just found out the english versions of Shield Hero v14 & Goblin Slayer v8 are already out so I guess I'm gonna' have some nice reads for a couple of days.

I finished reading volume 2 of 86 a few weeks ago. I like how when given the option to live normal lives the Spearhead Squadron decided to enlist in the Federation's army as soon as possible. Also like how it showed it was an obvious choice for them, but was completely alien to their new benefactor that gave them option in the first place. For those kids, battle is all they know. They never really gave the future beyond the war with the Legion a second thought, because they would be sent out to die eventually.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

AAHHHHH Vol 3 of Eighty-Six was so gooood!!! Holy mama!

JP Friend Code
    Been a while since I finished it, quite engrossing right? Good to see the official translation's got a decent release phase...I'll eventually be able to read it again soon.

Currently started reading 'SCP Foundation: Iris Through the Looking Glass'...quite an interesting take so far. And yes, its a real Light Novel.

Oh I heard of that one, SCP is a surprisingly big phenomena huh?

As for my own reading, I've been reading a novel called Shini Yasui. I initially ignored it cause I though it was just the standard dime a dozen otome villainess stories written by authors who have never so much as touched an otome but contary to the generic name and synopsis its actually well thought out and feels like an otome game that could actually exist as well as having pretty solid characters. There are some boring stretches of chapters but overall its pretty good with a rather consistent translation.

It would be nice if it gets a manga or anime adaptation soon

Quote Originally Posted by Rue View Post
    Been a while since I finished it, quite engrossing right? Good to see the official translation's got a decent release phase...I'll eventually be able to read it again soon.
    Yea i finished it in two sittings. im a guy who prefers my mechas powerlevels low and used to be a massive muvluv fan too so the setting had me from the start, but I felt like the action wasnt as good as the rest of the novel. Well this volume absolutely fixes that, plus also really sold me on Shins character.

All in all a slamdunk in action, characterization and feels (i literally had to put it down and walk around my apartment doing the doushio gesture during the reunion scene).