Page 1240 of 1242 FirstFirst ... 240740114011901230123512381239124012411242 LastLast
Results 24,781 to 24,800 of 24834

Thread: Things that annoy you in fanfiction discussion

....the biggest thing I've learned from this conversation is that From Fake Dreams is still a thing.

I guess that kinda power fantasy doesn't fade in its appeal to a certain demographic.

Eh.
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Megas View Post
    ....the biggest thing I've learned from this conversation is that From Fake Dreams is still a thing.

I guess that kinda power fantasy doesn't fade in its appeal to a certain demographic.

Eh.
    Every year there is an increasing amount of people turning 14 with access to chinese cartoons and the internet
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

I've noticed a lot of dislike towards Path of the King and From Fake Dreams while reading this thread, despite the fact they're two of the most popular F/SN fan stories on FF.net. Now, I haven't read From Fake Dreams myself, but I thought Path of the King was fairly good, aside from some irritating grammatical tics.
    Anyway, the point is, I'm curious what you folks do recommend since you reject what's most popular in the fan story community. I know it's a bit off topic, but after 1,240 pages of what irritates you, what is it that's impressed you in Fate/Stay Night fanfiction?

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    You're best off starting a thread that's the opposite of this, since to be perfectly candid, it's the vent/bitching thread.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lactose View Post
    I've noticed a lot of dislike towards Path of the King and From Fake Dreams while reading this thread, despite the fact they're two of the most popular F/SN fan stories on FF.net. Now, I haven't read From Fake Dreams myself, but I thought Path of the King was fairly good, aside from some irritating grammatical tics.
    Anyway, the point is, I'm curious what you folks do recommend since you reject what's most popular in the fan story community. I know it's a bit off topic, but after 1,240 pages of what irritates you, what is it that's impressed you in Fate/Stay Night fanfiction?
    You're better off looking at the recommendation thread for that. The reviews that are specifically names instead of just +1s generally come with details.

But off the top of my head, quality of writing is one, though that's already quite vague, and there are various different things that could make prose good: snappy dialogue, clever word choice, distinctive and effective style, etc. Also, avoiding certain annoying trends, like harems or powertripping, is generally a point in its favor, though of course that alone doesn't make something good. That, and clever and unique interpretations of canon and lore details also helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Sorry to post in the wrong thread. To be honest, I posted here since it seems to be one of the only threads in the fanfic board that's actively being responded to, and it seems like people are more likely to reply on a thread they've already been posting on.
    Plus, this discussion has tangented off several times before, so I'd hoped nobody would mind.

Blog Entries
    You've posted in the Fanfic Recommendation thread. So you know it exists.

All you need to do is head over to the master post on the first page to get a sense of what's what.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

Sorry again about posting in the wrong thread. In any case, after a day I've returned with something that actually belongs in here: a complaint.
    One thing that absolutely drives me up the wall is when authors decide they're going to be the Joss Whedon of fanfiction, and turn every character into a quip-spouting witticism machine. Of course, there are plenty of people who just have one character (usually the protagonist) make some kind of sardonic comment about every little thing, and they're plenty irritating as well, but what really drives me crazy are people who do this with everyone. It doesn't matter what kind of character you are, or how you spoke in the original work, in this story you're going to have blase uninteresting "humor" crowbarred into every line.
    I know, the original Fate/Stay Night has humor as well, and nothing should be serious all the time. There is, however, a time and a place. We don't all like the Marvel cinematic universe.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's not any better when Jwoss does it, either.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    We don't all like the Marvel cinematic universe.
    apparently nasu does
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    I could kiss you, Five.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    That's how the author himself described what he was doing. I'm not arguing he succeeded by any means, but he was at least aware of the difficulty involved to some extent. It's always threading a needle to introduce major diversions in a canon character's backstory (especially a main one) while keeping them recognizably "themselves", and I'll admit that TF doesn't seem to have pulled it off exceptionally well.

While his Issei clearly had some of the original's traits intact (like wanting to be the "Harem King"), his sullen smart-aleck demeanour is so different from the Issei we know and love that it just made the whole thing come off as a little depressing. Still, I only read the first few chapters, which were presumably going out of their way to highlight what had changed from canon, so for all I know he ends up acting more like "our" Issei later on.
    The man pretty much lied in his rant in the end.

He lied about hating such things done to MCs since he did it himself.

He lied about hating the idea since he does it all the time.

He just straight up lied and has lied due to crafting many stories that do what his rant screams about.
    POTK, isn't that the one where the author has Shirou & Medea bum around in Misaki for many chapters and no real reason?

After trying to read that story where he tried to bash Love Hina characters, while crossing it over with Fate, I haven't touched any of his works.
    Last edited by warellis; August 4th, 2018 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Truth be told, I hate Joss Whedon. Since he's fairly well-liked and I'm new to this forum, though, I was hesitant to come out and bash him along with the people emulating him right away. Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels that way!

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I recently went on a Fanfic hunt/binge and ended up finding something I've never seen before that really annoyed me. It's a FSN/Hero Aca crossover and the fic starts with a bunch of single lines as their own paragraphs. Nothing really new there, person isekai'd to a new world each new revelation should feel impactful as he realizes his situation. What pissed me off is constantly repeating his name. Every line, "Shirou looked around" "Shirou saw a scorpion man" "Shirou traced a sword". Perosnal pronouns exist, why do keep re-iterating the protagonist and veiwpont character? There's a small fight scene where the writing actually starts to flow and then the minute it stops, back to saying Shirou. EVERY. FUCKING. LINE.

I didn't even know this was such a sore point for me until five minutes ago.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

That's just bad writing in general.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Twice H Pieceman
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    OC Servants. Let's face it, there's plenty of actual ones to use. Unless that was already sort of covered last page.

Also, Zero fix-it fics annoy me a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    What is an author to do when they want to write about a Servant Rostam or Servant Philoktetes? They haven't been run through the Nasu filter yet, and an author may have very specific reasons for using either one of them.

Besides, a lot of the FGO Servants are too goofy to be taken seriously anyway. Bradamante completely killed my interest in seeing any more of Fate's Twelve Peers.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    OC Servants. Let's face it, there's plenty of actual ones to use. Unless that was already sort of covered last page.

Also, Zero fix-it fics annoy me a little.
    I don't get why you'd have a problem with OC Servants. What's wrong with wanting to a tell a story with original characters? Obviously they can be handled poorly, but that's true of just about any element in a fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Twice H Pieceman
    Oh, hey, I read that one!