Page 12 of 1242 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722621125121012 ... LastLast

Thread: Things that annoy you in fanfiction discussion

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Inugami's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heroslayer View Post
    You know this is just a question that's been bothering me for a while. Gae Bolg. Two uses. First is reverse of casualty. Effect happens and then rewrites reality to make cause had happened.

Second is throwing it and causing it blow up the enemy. Does the second one still follow the rule of Reverse of Casualty or heart seeking?
    It seeks the heart, but does not reverse causality.

Does it home in on someone who dodges it? Dunno. Does it track someone who moves just enough that it would miss? Dunno. The one time it's used, Archer stands his ground. The narration clearly says that it's going for Archer's heart.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Inugami View Post
    It seeks the heart, but does not reverse causality.
    Shirou states that it had pierced the heart before it was even thrust, and that the thrust was merely a formality...if that isn't reversing causality I don't know what is.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alulim View Post
    Shirou states that it had pierced the heart before it was even thrust, and that the thrust was merely a formality...if that isn't reversing causality I don't know what is.
    That was when he thrust it with his hands. When he throws it, it acts differently as a NP.

Blog Entries
    Something that annoys me is errors in an actual story, even errors on my end, which I do my best to fix (though sometimes my best can be not enough).

Shirou: If you can't beat them, join them *eye rolls* burningclaw2's Avatar
    Death's Thorns follows the Reverse Casuality effect, Death's Flight is just a plain heart seeker that goes boom-boom
    Words to live by: Fate is a B****, Destiny is a whore, while Karma is just doing her job.

Violence solves all problems. If its not working then you are not using enough.
    Even though I am male after taking a 'Which Fate/stay night Character are you?' quiz I am...

Tohsaka Rin You are Rin. Cool and collected, you think logically about most situations. You strive for self-perfection, and rely on others only for your benefit. You may be cold toward most people, but you can be friendly when you try. Indeed, it could be said you enjoy helping others that you care for. Whatever the case, you tend to think logically and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burningclaw2 View Post
    Death's Thorns follows the Reverse Casuality effect, Death's Flight is just a plain heart seeker that goes boom-boom
    Ah, I thought it reversed causality for both uses.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

IIRC, Death Flight isn't even a homing weapon either, but apparently what it means by never missing is by carpet bombing everything with thousands of thorns, or something.

Lol Nasu.

*scratches_head*
    If it's not clearly stated in the cannon, then it's debatable.

I used to think both effects worked on both attacks. The throwing one just keeps Big Blue away from "Newly Dead Guy's last attack.
    Last edited by 2ndsly; September 25th, 2011 at 11:09 PM. Reason: speling airors

Quote Originally Posted by Alulim View Post
    Ah, I thought it reversed causality for both uses.
    Archer wouldn't have been able to Rho Aius Death Flight if it did. You can't block it since it already hit.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsly View Post
    *scratches_head*
    If it's not clearly stated in the cannon, then it's debatable.
    It is clearly stated in canon, though. Between the actual moment in UBW and a lot of talk about Gae Bolg in side materials.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Inugami's Avatar
    Right now, one of the biggest difficulties I'm having with my next fanfic chapter is balancing "Exposition" and "Action".

The action should be happening too fast for the knowledgeable characters to explain what's going on to the uneducated characters, especially after the uneducated ones have spent the time necessary to express their confusion or surprise.

...Also, I have to figure out whether or not one of the characters falls into the "exposition" or "surprise" category by deciding how my prequel is going to work even as I write this current chapter.

At this rate, I'm either going to have all of the exposition form the ending third of the chapter all by itself, or create another seperate chapter for that purpose, or just give up and write all of the prequels first, making THIS the sequel.

...Ah, yes. One other option is to return to use narration instead of character dialogue/monologue to explain things.

Maybe if I phrase it as a character's thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by nununu View Post
    Archer wouldn't have been able to Rho Aius Death Flight if it did. You can't block it since it already hit.
    Right. Which means that Rho Aias would be USELESS against the melee power of Gae Bolg.

Which begs the question of whether or not Archer really would have died if Shirou hadn't been there to draw Lancer's attention away at the last moment.

Shirou: If you can't beat them, join them *eye rolls* burningclaw2's Avatar
    Oh yeah I remember now. Death's Thorns gives power to accuracy it will practically always hit unless you are lucky. Death's Flight is just boom with no guidance other then where it is thrown so the heart seeker effect could have been a misinterpretation since Lancer most likely threw the lance in that general area.
    Words to live by: Fate is a B****, Destiny is a whore, while Karma is just doing her job.

Violence solves all problems. If its not working then you are not using enough.
    Even though I am male after taking a 'Which Fate/stay night Character are you?' quiz I am...

Tohsaka Rin You are Rin. Cool and collected, you think logically about most situations. You strive for self-perfection, and rely on others only for your benefit. You may be cold toward most people, but you can be friendly when you try. Indeed, it could be said you enjoy helping others that you care for. Whatever the case, you tend to think logically and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

Ah!
    Side materials.
    That explains it.

One thing to say about it. Some complain when an author makes up stuff that contradicts side material and acts like the readers won't know any better. Shouldn't, then, the people who read the side materials not assume everyone does ? Not everyone has the time or dedication to get all the side materials.

Sorry if it offends anyone, but that problem is really starting to rankle. Going Both ways.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Ah!
    Side materials.
    It isn't just the side materials or anything, though. It clearly says in the game that the two concepts fighting are "lance of assured hit" and "shield of no gain" and not "lance of reversed causality." Then you read the description of Gae Bolg in the stats menu. The interviews just clear up a couple of the specifics about how the spear and Rho Aias work.

Quote Originally Posted by burningclaw2 View Post
    Oh yeah I remember now. Death's Thorns gives power to accuracy it will practically always hit unless you are lucky. Death's Flight is just boom with no guidance other then where it is thrown so the heart seeker effect could have been a misinterpretation since Lancer most likely threw the lance in that general area.
    A lot clearer laid out this way. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    It isn't just the side materials or anything, though. It clearly says in the game that the two concepts fighting are "lance of assured hit" and "shield of no gain" and not "lance of reversed causality." Then you read the description of Gae Bolg in the stats menu. The interviews just clear up a couple of the specifics about how the spear and Rho Aias work.
    Don't have game, I read Let's Plays of the story.

Edit: sorry about the double post. And please not I wouldLove to have the actual game. I'm just working with what I have now.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Well, making Shinji likeable is hard, unless he actually helps Sakura.
    Yes, writing believable characterization, plot, and development is hard, doesn't mean they shouldn't try. :P

Fics with a damned abundance of one sentence paragraphs. It's sloppy writing, please stop it.
    Of course there's also the equally annoying opposite, fics without enough linebreaks. Two characters' lines of dialogue in the same paragraph = NO!

Also people shouldn't be afraid of the word "said".

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Don't have game, I read Let's Plays of the story.
    Ouch. Well, at least the FSN version is better than the Tsuki version and doesn't have annoying commentary...

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Ouch. Well, at least the FSN version is better than the Tsuki version and doesn't have annoying commentary...
    I work with what I have.
    There is some commentary but only for the terribly redundant stuff.

Blog Entries
    I work with what I have.
    There is some commentary but only for the terribly redundant stuff.
    Is it by Seo Rin?

...What I mean is, is it on fsn.seorinwastaken.com, 2ndsly?