Page 502 of 1242 FirstFirst ... 24024524924975005015025035045075125526021002 ... LastLast
Results 10,021 to 10,040 of 24834

Thread: Things that annoy you in fanfiction discussion

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by lethum View Post
    Of course it is. Now, how much do you value that accomplishment is up to you. Because individuality.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

The enemy may have a missile, but we have... Doc Havoc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    I'm resisting the urge to make a dirty joke.
    You shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    I'm resisting the urge to make a dirty joke.
    Give in to the lust my dear.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    The whole, "I won't read this because I'm Christian" or "This book is bad because I'm Christian" really makes me glad that I'm not a Christian.
    Nice way to paint them all with the same brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    All this Harry Potter talk.

You're all low-tier fans.

Girl I know in my graduating class wrote a thesis paper on how Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs applies to the character of Harry Potter across the seven books and did a presentation on it in one of our classes. She did this for fun, she received no grade for it.
    Sounds like an interesting topic of discussion.

Death is only the stepping stone to success. Santo's Avatar
    The whole, "I won't read this because I'm Christian" or "This book is bad because I'm Christian" really makes me glad that I'm not a Christian.
    I know a few christians that were embarrassed at the antics of other christians.

Like crying as they resigned the sins of reading Harry Potter and watching Gilmore Girls.

Almost too sad to laugh at it.

Almost.

Blog Entries
    I'm Christian - and an amateur mythology nut. That includes some study of the 72 Goetics.
    Oh no. Whatever am I to do.
    It's not like Paul didn't know the Greco-Roman pantheon to some extent.

And topics like this snowball so badly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Funny how I spent all that time pissing and moaning about the fanfic that gimps Gae Bolge to build up an OC bad guy, but now I can't seem to find it. Granted, there was more to the fic than that one scene, but that was the moment that got me off the fence and made me quit the story.

Speaking of make-or-break moments: Harems.

I've never seen one that is both explored and well-written. If you have a king or sultan with a bunch of harem girls, that makes sense to me, but it's never really presented with any nuance. Here's a king. He has a harem. Boom. Done. On the flip side, if you have a story that actually tries to build a harem before our eyes, it inevitably falls felt. People tend to be very greedy with their partners, and authors only compound the problem by twisting recognizable characters into unfamiliar messes who are completely okay with sharing Shirou or whoever else the author is clearly using as their fantasy avatar.

I won't even read most stories that have a harem tag, and I usually abandon a fic not long after it starts going down the harem route.
    Last edited by Imperial; May 22nd, 2013 at 06:32 PM.

To be honest harems don't really work because it doesn't seem believable. I mean from the guy's perspective, he's going to have one he prefers even if he doesn't want to hurt anyone, and from a woman's perspective...why would however many women want the same guy? Either he's Superman (And thus kind of boring) or mind controlling them (Which is kind of creepy) That's not to say I don't get why it's written, because wish fulfillment is a thing. However, I think it's immature wish fulfillment and something writers should grow out of.
    Although Love Polyhedrons those I kind of like when they're played off well.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gman391 View Post
    Sure we most some of us do, it's just that it's buried under everything else. On a related note I would kill for the ability to exclude characters in fic searches over on FF.Net
    Hahahahahahahaha

pls get on the level
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Best thing since sliced bread.

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    Best thing since sliced bread.
    I'm pretty sure the Internet has that spot followed by Google.

Not having to slog through veritable mountains of shit to find something good to read is good enough for me.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    To be honest harems don't really work because it doesn't seem believable. I mean from the guy's perspective, he's going to have one he prefers even if he doesn't want to hurt anyone, and from a woman's perspective...why would however many women want the same guy? Either he's Superman (And thus kind of boring) or mind controlling them (Which is kind of creepy) That's not to say I don't get why it's written, because wish fulfillment is a thing. However, I think it's immature wish fulfillment and something writers should grow out of.
    Depends, mostly on what you mean by harem. If you mean a bunch of women and one guy in MAGICARU TWOO WUV, then nah, not likely. Historically (as far as I can tell, I mean- I haven't exactly gone off and done research on the subject), most harems have basically been master-slave relationships, stuff like sultans with a bunch of pleasure slaves, kings tupping the hired help and/or mistresses, and warchiefs taking women from other clans as wives- either political gains, or just plain lust.

It could work if you go in that direction- Mostly friendship and/or lust, no TWOO WUV to complicate the situation and fuck up the entire thing. I mean, there'll be differences in opinion, and arguments, and there'll have to be a fuckton of tolerance (from the girls- or, depending on your choice of main character, the guys), and a fuckton of stamina, pain tolerance, hip-replacement appointments and an almost complete lack of need for alone-time from the main. Having them all in one house would fuck the entire thing to hell- they'll all have to be independent, with their own goals and such, and...

Hell, that doesn't sound like a harem at all, does it?
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    One should only read harem fics with this playing in the background.

Blog Entries
    I remember there was an anime that had all the making of a Harem without it being one, I forgot the name of it but it was mostly about the whole thing being about cuteness since it was about a kid (highschool age, obviously) who just recently became orphaned being adopted by his 5 different teachers and basically being a typical harem comedy except without the romance.

Which actually made it work, since it was about 5 grown women imposing themselves upon this 15/16 year old kid and trying to raise him, either that or they were all just shotacons and I never noticed.

Spoilered for your convenience

Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

I would hate to burst your bubble but the idea of a guy with no "reedeming" qualities being wanted by so many girls at once, is not as unrealistic as you would think: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KavorkaMan

I know that there are some of you that adverse to the sight but click the link and check under the real life section. Some of the people listed have little to no pleasant qualities from what I have learned. I have checked some of those names myself through other sources and can tell you that they are legit. So from what I have learned there is a lot more to what makes people attractive than you would think.
    Last edited by Silver Gaurd Saito; May 22nd, 2013 at 08:23 PM.
    "Don’t be afraid to be a fool. Remember, you cannot be both young and wise. Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don’t learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us. Cynics always say no. But saying yes begins things. Saying yes is how things grow. Saying yes leads to knowledge. "Yes" is for young people. So for as long as you have the strength to, say yes.." -Stephen Colbert (the man)

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Well, having one person be attractive to many people sounds pretty logical to me. Trying to have relationships all at once is a different story, but if there are attractive qualities in a person that get them attention from someone, chances are that other people see it too.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

I happen to be an expert on this topic Pata Hikari's Avatar
    Something that bugs me about myself!
    Writing FSN fanfic has made me often have to go back and uncapitalize the word "servant."
    Fate/Stay Night: Life is an Endless Dream Chapter 12: Settling into place
    Tsukihime: Role Revert Part 10: Were you here the whole time?
    Fate + Tsuki: Slayer/Savior Part 1: Forge/Assassin
    Pata Hikari's Tsukihime Short stories: Lastest story: A Midnight Dreary

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pata Hikari View Post
    Something that bugs me about myself!
    Writing FSN fanfic has made me often have to go back and uncapitalize the word "servant."
    I can never tell if Master and Servant are supposed to be capitalized or not. Could be author preference tho >.>

Oh, you're talking about in regular writing.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Historically (as far as I can tell, I mean- I haven't exactly gone off and done research on the subject), most harems have basically been master-slave relationships, stuff like sultans with a bunch of pleasure slaves, kings tupping the hired help and/or mistresses, and warchiefs taking women from other clans as wives- either political gains, or just plain lust.
    Nah. A lot of cultures have economical concerns. In certain rural cultures even now, polygamy is due to living conditions and either high infant mortality rates or low population issues in general. It's been a long time since I've done my cultural anthro readings, but the main reason you hear about your examples is because of how taboo it is to our culture now and those are easy targets for our moral rage. Historically, harems are more of a survival issue.