Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Akasha: Omniscience and the Multiverse

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So where does the Jewel Sword get it's prana from then? A possibility?
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    nah, at least, I dont think so. its not to say that there isnt multiple dimensions, merely that its not a case where every possibility is occuring somewhere in the multiverse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerang View Post
    iirc, classical physics just stops working at the quantum level, or something
    Correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I think people also somewhat misunderstand/overestimate the multiverse. its not a case where everything is happening somewhere, its a case where the possibility of something is happening. Nasue actually mentions its not like, all three routes happened in three seperate diminsions, its that the possibility existed and one of them occurred and the others dissapeared.

in otherwords, zelretch could not stop in to help out with the trial, then go console shirou about saber, then go attend rin and shirou's wedding.
    Or to summarize, until there's an actual observer (such as Zeltretch), all three routes are equally valid. However, once there is an observer, the wavelength collapses or something. To once again quote myself, it rather reminds me of Schrodiner's cat thought experiment.

Namely, let's say these three routes are all have equally likely chances of occuring. But without actually observing the timeline yourself, you can't say which route has occured, and thus all three routes exist in potentia or something. However, once you actually observe the timeline, you can see for yourself which route occured, meaning you can eliminate the other routes that didn't occur. Or something. I dunno, I'm not a quantum physcist.
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Blog Entries
    Q: Are the three routes of "Fate/stay night" parallel worlds existing at the same time? I was curious since I was how it would look to Zelretch.
    A: They're parallel sort of. But if Zelretch was observing, it'd become true, and my feelings on the matter is that I'd rather two routes disappear if one was true.
    If all of these became possible at the same time, the other routes would become meaningless.
    being the pertinent quote, if you are curious. if one route has occurred/is occurring, the other routes arent. I hesitate to even post it because its a huge can of worms, but for the discussion at hand its relevant.
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    This may be a nitpick, but is not the Uncertainty Principle a result of our methods of measurement?
    No, it's a result of assuming that particles are point objects when they are actually waves.

In itself, the Uncertainty Principle does not actually cause any "uncertainty", because the nature of the electron itself is still perfectly defined by the wavefunction. The only source of true uncertainty in QM is measurement, and the wave function collapse that results from it. The Uncertainty Principle has nothing to do with it.

Although, Nasu has said that, if any one route were "observed", the others would cease to exist, so....

Quote Originally Posted by Counterguardian View Post
    I'm no quantum physicist, but my understanding of the Uncertainty Principle was that it was an objective measure of the inherent unpredictability of the universe.
    It's not. It's a statement of the fact that particles are actually "waves", and waves do not have well-defined "positions" in the way that point particles do. QM does show that the universe is unpredictable, but only when you try to measure it. As long as it is not measured, it evolves entirely deterministically, because the Schrodinger Equation (and equivalents) are entirely deterministic in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    The way that it works, as far as I comprehend it (this will probably get proven wrong by Mike) is that you cannot know both position and speed because any measurement we carry out to discover one will inevitably disturb the other. For example, there is no particle that we can reflect off of an electron that would not disturb it. But, if you hypothetically had a magical means of measurement, that did not disturb measured objects, would that inevitable uncertainty still apply?
    This is usually true, but it has been shown that, even when it is possible to measure the particle-like effects of a particle without disturbing it sufficiently, the wave-like effects still go away.

Unless nothing produces new verses and there are simply a constant number of parallel verses from the very start, only the number is so large that for all purposes it's infinite.
    But how does that fit with the idea of universes "diverging" from each other, as they clearly do in FSN?

That feels more similar to shrodinger's cat imo
    Which is, I think, what CG is trying to get at, albeit badly....

Or to summarize, until there's an actual observer (such as Zeltretch), all three routes are equally valid. However, once there is an observer, the wavelength collapses or something. To once again quote myself, it rather reminds me of Schrodiner's cat thought experiment.
    Yeah, it does rather, doesn't it...?

deadfish
    Skimmed through the section.
    Might be relevant, might not.

Kotomine: A belated question for you. How much do you know about the "Holy Grail"?
    You: I already knew the basic premise. There's an enormous monitoring system inside the moon.
    You: The Moon Cell Automaton, an archive that has continued to record earth since the distant past. It could be called human history itself.
    You: The wizards fought each other in a battle for survival to decide who possesses it.
    Kotomine: Good. You should know that much. Then, I will fill in the blanks.
    Kotomine: The last Master has the right to know what happens beyond that. Normally, that is all the Moon Cell does. It had been in the last century that it came to be called the Holy Grail.
    Kotomine: I wonder who was it that found out that the Moon Cell which only observes has the power to grant wishes?
    Kotomine: The true nature of the Moon Cell is an observation device. It firmly refuses to be anything else. It has the power to become God, but it itself refuses to be omnipotent. But...
    Kotomine: Being an observation device, it was inevitable for it to have a certain function.
    Kotomine: Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, a phenomenon first becomes certain by being observed by an observer. What isn't observed is, in other words, uncertain.
    Kotomine: Then, it had to also observe what can't be seen.
    Kotomine: The possibilities that could have happened have to be considered.
    Kotomine: In order to achieve a more complete observation, the Moon Cell had to record many "ifs".
    Kotomine: The computation device of the moon is for that purpose. The Moon Cell allocates its massive processing ability in retrocognition and future prediction.
    Kotomine: Where you will be going is where all of of those predictions of the future are stored.
    Kotomine: Over there probably lies all the wishes that people have fantasized.
    Kotomine: The all-knowing, future-seeing demon of Laplas was apparently on the moon.
    Kotomine: I repeat, the moon itself has no will. After all, an observer having a mind will distort the result of the observation.
    Kotomine: But if one with a will was able to control the Moon Cell, then it will function as a limitless wish granterer, a Holy Grail.
    Last edited by deadfish; October 5th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Holy shit, the Moon Cell can actualize Akashic Records.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    Moon Cell is apparently more hax than I thought.
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So, Nasu fails physics, then...?

Blog Entries
    Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    So, Nasu fails physics, then...?
    Nope, you can't fail physics if you never take the class.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    anyway, its more like nasu designed psychics for the nasuverse.

In Brazil, everybody's hands are burning red.

^^Basically the point I have been trying to make for a long long time.
    ^
    Uh, wrong thread? What is that thing?
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Banned
    Blog Entries
    anyway, its more like nasu designed psychics for the nasuverse.
    Well, no, because he's taking actual physics terms and totally butchering them....

Blog Entries
    no he isnt. the nasuverse is his universe, inside it physics, and its terms, work as he says they do.

Nasu is a philosophy major.
    Philosophers take words that already exist and tweak the meaning if not straight up using them the opposite way most people would.
    So everything is fine and normal.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

In Brazil, everybody's hands are burning red.
    Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    ^^Basically the point I have been trying to make for a long long time.
    ^
    Uh, wrong thread? What is that thing?
    nope, this is a thread about akasha. =D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    no he isnt. the nasuverse is his universe, inside it physics, and its terms, work as he says they do.
    What, so you're saying that, in the Nasuverse, someone has defined the "Uncertainty Principle" to mean something completely different but which seems right to someone who knows fuck-all physics? As opposed to Nasu just being wrong...?