Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Admit your GMing biases

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    iunno....I can understand a certain amount of leeway given, particularly at the beginning, but I think the threat of real character death improves the game because it forces you to RP as if your character actually had a normal fear of death.
    Well, for an RP where there's no restarting, IMO it should be avoided where possible. The only real exceptions, IMO, are if the player does something that actually deserves it, you're nearing the end of the story (when things should get a bit more heated) or it's a result of a battle with another player and can't really be worked around in a reasonable manner.

I'm rather merciful to my players because, if I kill them in the first chapter, then what was the point of making the whole campaign?
    Trapped within my fierce desire, resistance is futile. Screaming for your life, nowhere to hide,
    Tonight we cross the line, your innocence is mine!

Blog Entries
    Well I am not saying flag out kill everyone, but I don't think it's good to limit death only to the really stupid, a risk should be a risk. If you choose to walk into the creepy forest/pitch black cave with no weapons, allies, or supplies, that's a risk. Maybe a nice GM says something like "you feel a terrifying feeling/horrifying presence" but, you make a gamble, I think both characters and players should be worried about te outcome. If only to make them actually prepare for a risk.

I go back into town and buy a sword
    I cut myself a torch and light it
    I leave a trail of breadcrumbs so I can find my way out quickly
    I ready my potion of expeditious retreat
    I dress up in a disguise and make out with a dude.

You know, something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'd say that walking into a creepy forest with no weapons, allies or supplies counts as "really stupid", personally, particularly if you're warned beforehand.

If I'm With You, Surely Paradise Exists! Froggie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fishie ;__;

This is kind of weird for me to be writing since I only have one experience GM’ing for others and it’s on this very forum. Midnight Carnival is my first attempt at running a Web-RP so I’m not really sure I’ve developed any biases yet. Still, I think, over the course of developing it and writing updates for it, I’ve come to develop a feel for a few things I like to do.

1) As others have mentioned, I’m reluctant to kill characters early on. That is not to say that I make things easy for them. I try to make every encounter as challenging as possible. It will be harrowing, but everything’s survivable by playing “smart”. That is not to say that only “stupid” characters will die. It’s entirely possible that sometimes, well…

2) I don’t like numbers and I don’t like rolling dice to determine the success of actions. My decisions are pretty much arbitrary, based on a comparison between stat ranks and whatever I feel will enhance a scene. If missing an important attack will make a scene more dramatic, that’s what will happen. If hitting at the critical time that will change the tide of battle will make a scene more dramatic, that’s what will happen.

3) I don’t like having GMPC’s or giving out super-powered allies. The plot should be moved forward by the players, not by a GMPC magically taking the appropriate actions to move the plot forward. This removes the spotlight away from the players. I don’t like that. Similarly, having god-like NPCs appear and solve everything for them? Not going to happen. The players are the protagonists and anything that diminishes their role as movers and shakers is not good in my book. Now, I realize I have powerful NPCs running around in Midnight Carnival and some of them are even friendly.

They won’t help you. And even if it’s in character for them do so, and if you somehow manage to talk to them into helping you, I’ll just get more vicious and throw even worse things your way.

Struggle and bleed and gnash your teeth and fight. Give me a story to send shivers down my spine.

4) I give my players fair and explicit warning when they’re about to do something that might end badly for them. Elyrin and Bloble can both attest to this.

5) It will come as no surprise that I like tragic developments. If any player heads in that direction, I’ll giddily cheer them on and pile on the misery.

6) I like overcoming terrible odds and arriving at both happy and bittersweet endings.

7) I don’t make complicated plans ahead of time. I’m pretty much making up everything on the spot for each update.

8) I like being creepy and scaring players.

9) Diabolos and Deus Ex Machina.

Can’t think of anything else. Time to go update Midnight Carnival. Port Island and SE Iwatodai, incoming.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellon View Post
    And for gods sake, pick a power level and stick to it when you are making an RP. Not swap it around every 2 days like an indecisive teenage girl.
    Hi Mellon.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    Hi Mellon.
    Hey Neir. :3

I was not referring to you, tbh. More to the general trend that seems to be quite widespread around here.

Blog Entries
    oh. I know I did that, though. But that's mostly due to it the rp initially being a work in progress.
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    oh. I know I did that, though. But that's mostly due to it the rp initially being a work in progress.
    You might want to remove/rewrite the "General Powerlevel" bit from the first post though. Might give a wrong idea to anyone making a character.

Blog Entries
    Good call. I'll do that now.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I generally agree with Verg and Mellon on the interesting powers approach. Still, I do think there are certain powers that are just too plot breaking and generally... well, let's just say that when you are the player on the receiving end of mind control or memory manipulation, you are not going to like it at all xP.

I generally tend to make my RPs pretty challenging, and the possibility of death is always present. I do tend to be merciful and sometimes go out of my way to save a character, but this has been pretty rare nowadays. As the stakes go up, it is pretty much natural that both PCs and NPCs start finding their survival harder and harder. I simply don't have problems with a PC death as long as it is natural, speaking in terms of setting and story, and there is no bullshit involved.

Also, I do suscribe a bit to Froggie's way, and I sometimes ignore stats or logic for the sake of dramatism or awesomeness. Leo can attest to that in Notes.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Blog Entries
    Also, I do suscribe a bit to Froggie's way, and I sometimes ignore stats or logic for the sake of dramatism or awesomeness. Leo can attest to that in Notes.
    And I called ye on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    And I called ye on it.
    Was it awesome, or was it not? .

quotes
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

Blog Entries
    The problem with 'interesting' powers is that they tend to be completely abusable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingeR View Post
    Was it awesome, or was it not? .
    It was significantly more awesome when I tanked it.
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    It was significantly more awesome when I tanked it.
    Remind me to talk with Erl about shields in general, though. They are a tad too sturdy.

quotes

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingeR View Post
    Remind me to talk with Erl about shields in general, though. They are a tad too sturdy.
    You would say that.

Blog Entries
    ahahaha~

Blog Entries
    You would say that.
    Yes, because it is not like my character also has a shield too :/

quotes

Blog Entries
    Anyways, not really the place for it: I shouldn't have brought it up.