Page 5 of 2285 FirstFirst ... 345671015551055051005 ... LastLast

Thread: Avalon

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can't tell if that was intentional, which would be funny, or unintentional, which would be even funnier.

Such is the way of Tobias.

The Royal Chancellor of Avalon Keyne's Avatar

I love these cgs. But Takeuchi forgot to draw the kissing scene. ;_; RN has it a lot more tender.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Don't they actually sound that name out a few times? Is the spelling so important when we know the enunciation?
    Spelling is important because it tells us how her name is supposed to sound, in its native language. Altria and Artoria may sound the same in Japanese, but they sound very different in English (indeed, Arturia sounds a lot more like Artoria than Altria does).

Blog Entries
    Well, I would say even in any other language, since nasu actually created the name or at least the derivation of it, the end result should be we would pronounce it in that form, essentially meaning that the spelling becomes irrelevant, since the original enunciation is the correct form

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, I would say even in any other language, since nasu actually created the name or at least the derivation of it, the end result should be we would pronounce it in that form, essentially meaning that the spelling becomes irrelevant, since the original enunciation is the correct form
    And I disagree. Nasu may well pronounce it that way, but it's clear that he doesn't intend it to be pronounced that way, at least by foreigners. It's just that he isn't capable of pronouncing it correctly himself.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the "original enunciation" would be "Arutoria", which I don't think any of us would use.

Similarly, the original (katakana) pronunciation of Illya's name would be "Iriyasufiiru Fon Aintsuberun", so going with the katakana is not always a good idea.

Blog Entries
    still...pretty sure somebody actually said it out loud in the VN. well, guess I could be wrong though?

Blog Entries
    I'm so joining Seiba's club!

And now I finally can show you picture of my new poster and shitajiki! Plushie is old, but she wanted to be in the picture, so you'll remember Seiba Lion too!

Sorry about bad picture...

Small but dangerous!

My boring Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by mirakura View Post
    Cute things are cute.

Blog Entries
    still...pretty sure somebody actually said it out loud in the VN. well, guess I could be wrong though?
    Merlin did in RN at least. I found it on youtube a while ago.

But with Japanese syllables, there are far fewer sounds you can even make in Japanese than in other languages like English. So no matter whether it's intended to be Artoria or Altria, someone speaking Japanese is always just going to say "Arutoria". So the Japanese pronunciation doesn't actually tell us much about how we should say/spell it.

Blog Entries
    weeeell, probably a minority opinion, but if "arutoria" is how its pronounced both in game and by nasu, I would lean towards that being the correct enunciation then.

Shirou said it aloud in the second H-alt scene in Fate.
    I'm so joining Seiba's club!
    Welcome among us.

Blog Entries
    The thing about the "ru" though is that if Nasu intended to say "Artoria", he wouldn't be able to write/say it that way, because you can't just have an "r" by itself in Japanese. Like if you've seen the hiragana/katakana (I think I remember you doing that?), you can only write "r" with "ra/ri/ru/re/ro". So the default vowel to tack on in situations like that is "u". Like how the "bern" in "Einzbern" comes out as "berun".

I don't think there is any reason to argue. Since Nasu used a genuine name as the base for "Artoria", then that should be just fine.

Blog Entries
    and I get that, but even so, if he never mentioned that he was pronouncing it wrong, or, for example, hired on a VA for merlin who could have correctly pronounced it, to me that says he was working on the one he used, "arutoria"

EDIT: unless I am missing something and at some point when correcting the spelling he also adding something like " and by the way, it should be pronounced like that to"

Saber is Saber.

Blog Entries
    and I get that, but even so, if he never mentioned that he was pronouncing it wrong, or, for example, hired on a VA for merlin who could have correctly pronounced it, to me that says he was working on the one he used, "arutoria"

EDIT: unless I am missing something and at some point when correcting the spelling he also adding something like " and by the way, it should be pronounced like that to"
    Japanese just doesn't have the range of sounds English does that would necessitate asking "how to pronouncing this word/name?". If you see a bunch of katakana, you already know how to pronounce it, because every vowel sound is pronounced one way, so you just read out "a ru to ri a" and you're done.

He never said "I pronounced it wrong" or anything because he didn't really. Mangling loanwords and foreign names to be pronounceable is kind of just a part of Japanese, it'd just be unreasonable to expect someone to learn to pronounce a bunch of different sounds every time they say someone's name. Kind of like how we don't say "karaoke" or "karate" in flawless Japanese accents while speaking English.

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have one thing to say about this.

Phonics.

SERIOUS BUSINESS.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Blog Entries
    I assume you mean

SHIRIASU BIJINESU.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Japanese just doesn't have the range of sounds English does that would necessitate asking "how to pronouncing this word/name?". If you see a bunch of katakana, you already know how to pronounce it, because every vowel sound is pronounced one way, so you just read out "a ru to ri a" and you're done.

He never said "I pronounced it wrong" or anything because he didn't really. Mangling loanwords and foreign names to be pronounceable is kind of just a part of Japanese, it'd just be unreasonable to expect someone to learn to pronounce a bunch of different sounds every time they say someone's name. Kind of like how we don't say "karaoke" or "karate" in flawless Japanese accents while speaking English.
    sure, I get what your saying, but see, I would say when we say karate or whatever, we are pronouncing it incorrectly, so, seeing as how its a name they actually came up with using the Japanese alphabet, I would argue that is the correct way of saying it, even in english

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    I have one thing to say about this.

Phonics.

SERIOUS BUSINESS.
    darn straight

Banned
    Blog Entries
    sure, I get what your saying, but see, I would say when we say karate or whatever, we are pronouncing it incorrectly, so, seeing as how its a name they actually came up with using the Japanese alphabet, I would argue that is the correct way of saying it, even in english
    Yes, but Saber's name was come up with using a Latin alphabet, and then transliterated into Japanese as best as Nasu could given the limitations of the language.

What you're claiming is like saying that, because I do Karate in England with an English teacher who founded the club with an English name, the correct way to pronounce it is, in fact, the English way, since that's what the founder intended when he started the club.