Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Change of Philosophy, an Open Idea

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
    *is disgusted and annoyed*

I don't consider a Shinji-centric story from this idea interesting. I only mentioned him in the first place as a convenient way to kill him off.

So, how do I find a mod? On Spacebattles.com, their listed at the bottom of each forum page, so you know who to contact, but that doesn't seem the case, here.
    Just because a couple of people mentioned Shinji, that doesn't mean you should delete the entire thread. Personally, though, I think saving him could be interesting, because it would perhaps give him a new outlook on life and, thus, cause him to try to help his sister (who otherwise seems to be difficult to involve here), and I don't see why, when you put an idea out for discussion, you expect anything but exactly that....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Just because a couple of people mentioned Shinji, that doesn't mean you should delete the entire thread. Personally, though, I think saving him could be interesting, because it would perhaps give him a new outlook on life and, thus, cause him to try to help his sister (who otherwise seems to be difficult to involve here), and I don't see why, when you put an idea out for discussion, you expect anything but exactly that....
    Because TFF did not react that way. Its sad and disturbing to find that they're saner and less aggravating than the people here.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarLegend View Post
    To be fair, Shinji is a piece of moral shit in canon!Fate, combined with a major lack competence and overinflated ego. Hating him is only natural.

That being said, I find the idea of exploring what an utter bastard in canon could have been under different circumstances fascinating. This is kind of what I'd planned if I ever decided to do a fic where Shinji redeemed himself - he acquire'd magic circuits through some means, and manages to break free of sick self-aggrandizing and abusive relationship with pretty much everyone he knows.

That being said - if he is dead - the rest of the fic has some potential. I personally don't like the idea of Taiga being a human guinea-pig, as she's 1- a yakuza's daughter and 2- the lighthearted emotional center of Shirou's life, who provides an affectionate balance to all the grim stuff he endures. Both from an in-universe perspective or a mechanical approach to the writing, it doesn't work.

Overall though, a concept worth investigating and discussing more
    Thank you. You're right about Taiga, chances are, her grandfather would find out, and find her, if the Philosopher was either foolish enough not to do the research (which is OOC for how I imagine him) or arrogant enough to think the yakuza wasn't a threat (which is totally in character for how I imagine him). Of course, now I have the thought that even if Taiga doesn't get kidnapped, she's going to notice that Shirou is missing, and then go to her grandfather for help. So, suppose they do get rescued by the Fujimura-gumi. How does Shirou develop from there?

For more comedy, suppose a few different rescues trip over each other during an escape attempt: the Fujimura-gumi, Rin (possibly with Kotomine, if it would amuse him to go), maybe Sakura, maybe Issei and the Ryuuji monks, maybe the police, and maybe Bazett or another Enforcer, because the Philosopher is stirring up the mundanes. Meanwhile, Ayako and Shirou's escape attempt was on the verge of failure. Optionally, Sakura or one of the others makes a rescue attempt that gets captured, so she's involved in the escape attempt that coincides with the other rescue attempts.

"Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
    -- Chinese Proverb

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Because TFF did not react that way. Its sad and disturbing to find that they're saner and less aggravating than the people here.
    I'm not sure how exactly wanting to see Shinji not be a dick is "insane" or "aggravating". It's not like he's done anything wrong in this timeline (necessarily, anyway), so I see no reason to hate him.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    He doesn't like who he doesn't like. He's allowed to dislike Shinji period.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VelspertheCat View Post
    He doesn't like who he doesn't like. He's allowed to dislike Shinji period.
    Of course, but claiming that being willing to give him a chance is "insane" is rather unfair....

Eh, to him it might be. Kind of like how you feel super passionate about Sakura, he feels loathing for Shinji. Or at least enough dislike that this is a non Shinji idea in his head.
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Eh, to him it might be. Kind of like how you feel super passionate about Sakura, he feels loathing for Shinji.
    Well, I'm only really interested in Shinji here because it gives a way to involve Sakura. The nature of this story is such that she's hard to include in it, so anything which makes that possible I'm always going to support.

Or at least enough dislike that this is a non Shinji idea in his head.
    Well, that's understandable, but when you put an idea up for discussion, you can't assume that it'll end up following the exact path you want it to follow. He didn't say "I don't want anyone to mention Shinji", and indeed he specifically put him in the original post. I don't see how he can complain because some people decided that it'd be a good idea to give him a larger role than he had originally intended. I mean, if he doesn't want the idea to be extended, he shouldn't post it in the first place....

True enough. Once it's up somewhere it can be taken in any direction.

I personally would want to see this idea going with Zouken and Kotomine having to be forced to team up to stop the Philosopher since he's being so damn blatant about kidnapping people. Or he stole someone that Zouken had handpicked to be devoured.

Stealing grandpa's snacks leads to the death sentence.
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I honestly can't imagine Zouken giving a shit about a philosopher being "blatent". If anything it just helps draw attention away from him....

What if he kidnapped Sakura, though? I figure that'd make him move.

Plus I just want to see the two of them being forced to team up. It'd be awesome.
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What if he kidnapped Sakura, though? I figure that'd make him move.
    Maybe, along with practically everyone else....

Plus I just want to see the two of them being forced to team up. It'd be awesome.
    "Awesome" is certainly not the word I'd use. "Utterly horrible", perhaps....

If you're attempting to prove a point by coming up with something you know I'll think is utterly horrible, then congratulations, you succeeded in doing so. That doesn't mean that I'm going to agree with you that you don't have the right to suggest it, though....

I agree with you on the latter. People can suggest whatever.

I just wanted to show you what he probably felt like when everyone started talking about Shinji being the lead.
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes, and? It's not like he gave us any indication that he felt that way, and it's not like leaving Shinji out is the obvious move here. I mean, it's not like Shinji is exactly my favourite character either.

His original idea was that Shinji dies, though. That seems like a strong hint that he doesn't want him in the idea. Or at least a passive aggressive hint.

But regardless, we're drifting around in a circle since we both agree with each other that people are allowed to suggest what they want. Let's just agree and close this conversation.
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    His original idea was that Shinji dies, though. That seems like a strong hint that he doesn't want him in the idea. Or at least a passive aggressive hint.
    Not really. It suggests that his initial plan was for him not to be in the idea, but it doesn't mean that he's not willing to change that if someone comes up with a good way to involve him.

But regardless, we're drifting around in a circle since we both agree with each other that people are allowed to suggest what they want. Let's just agree and close this conversation.
    Yeah, fair enough....

Quote Originally Posted by LunarLegend View Post
    To be fair, Shinji is a piece of moral shit in canon!Fate, combined with a major lack competence and overinflated ego. Hating him is only natural.

That being said, I find the idea of exploring what an utter bastard in canon could have been under different circumstances fascinating. This is kind of what I'd planned if I ever decided to do a fic where Shinji redeemed himself - he acquire'd magic circuits through some means, and manages to break free of sick self-aggrandizing and abusive relationship with pretty much everyone he knows.

That being said - if he is dead - the rest of the fic has some potential. I personally don't like the idea of Taiga being a human guinea-pig, as she's 1- a yakuza's daughter and 2- the lighthearted emotional center of Shirou's life, who provides an affectionate balance to all the grim stuff he endures. Both from an in-universe perspective or a mechanical approach to the writing, it doesn't work.

Overall though, a concept worth investigating and discussing more
    Agreed on all accounts.
    Additionally, I'll add that unless the Philosopher's motivations were more clearly defined, this fic would break my suspension of disbelief before it even started. It stinks of deus ex machina.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Transplanting magic circuits into beings who do not posess them may be useful for familliar creation, creating more potent familliars.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    I'm not sure how exactly wanting to see Shinji not be a dick is "insane" or "aggravating". It's not like he's done anything wrong in this timeline (necessarily, anyway), so I see no reason to hate him.
    It was my thought that this is some time after he started raping Sakura, and he was already heading in that direction before he started. If this were right at Kiritsugu's death, you might have a point. But my thought was that it was fairly late, even if I didn't say so. I probably should have said 'a year or so before the Fifth Holy Grail War', but when I first wrote it, I didn't know when he started, and didn't think it would matter, because I mentioned his death. People on TFF were more respectful of that. Thus, it hadn't occurred to me that I needed to say that I didn't want him to have a bigger role.

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Transplanting magic circuits into beings who do not posess them may be useful for familliar creation, creating more potent familliars.
    True. Also, the Philosopher may be trying to make himself more powerful, but doesn't want to risk being killed, or ruining his own magic circuits, whether born or transplanted, through faulty procedures.

"Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
    -- Chinese Proverb

Constructive criticism is not disrespect.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It was my thought that this is some time after he started raping Sakura, and he was already heading in that direction before he started. If this were right at Kiritsugu's death, you might have a point. But my thought was that it was fairly late, even if I didn't say so.
    Yeah, that does make a significant difference, although even so him surviving and coming back not a dick would probably help Sakura substantially.

I probably should have said 'a year or so before the Fifth Holy Grail War', but when I first wrote it, I didn't know when he started, and didn't think it would matter, because I mentioned his death. People on TFF were more respectful of that. Thus, it hadn't occurred to me that I needed to say that I didn't want him to have a bigger role.
    You said that you suggest that he should not have survived, not that you were insisting on it....