Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Change of Philosophy, an Open Idea

A Change of Philosophy, an Open Idea

Some time before the Fifth Holy Grail War, but after Kiritsugu died (and also after the BAR), a mad Philosopher experiments on Shirou, and several other people in Fuyuki who he thinks won't be missed (by anyone who can stop him), transplanting Magic Circuits from others who won't be missed, into them, and teaching any survivors how to open those circuits (as opposed to what Shirou was doing in canon, turning his nerves into temporary circuits). What the point of the experiment is, I'm not so clear on, but perhaps the Philosopher is altering the circuits in some way, either before removing them from the host, or while transplanting them, so that they carry affinities, have better quality (daniel_gudman's suggestion), or some other such thing. How well it works is another matter.

Shirou is one of the survivors, possibly the only one, and while not the most powerful Master in the upcoming War, he is now far from the weakest, and may well know who some other the other magi in Fuyuki are.

If Matou Shinji was used (I could see Zouken renting him out, to see if it made him useful), I suggest that he did not survive. Ayako might be one of the survivors, though, and Taiga with magecraft could be interesting.

I suggest that the Philosopher be dead by the time the Fifth War starts, possibly killed by Shirou, when he finds out about all the people who've been crippled or killed by this nut. A Shirou who has already killed a person, would behave rather differently from the boy he was in canon, no?

On TFF, nick012000 pointed out that Rin would not take the Philosopher's actions particularly well, and thus might be the one to rescue the survivors, and/or kill the Philosopher. He also suggested Taiga and Ayako learning Reinforcement from Shirou, before the escape, but that depends on whether the Philosopher allowed them to interact, and how long it would take them to learn Reinforcement to a useful level.

So, thoughts?

"Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
    -- Chinese Proverb

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Shinji surviving this would make it far more interesting imo. He's the person whose character would change the most I'd imagine.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors shiningphoenix's Avatar
    Shinji: "You are wondering how, exactly, this was a bad thing for me? OHGODTHEPAIN!"

Blog Entries
    People always will hate Shinji. It's a pity.

Shinji makes things more interesting.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Shinji: "You are wondering how, exactly, this was a bad thing for me? OHGODTHEPAIN! See? I'm loving it!"
    Macdonalds.

Shinji becomes a masochist? Maybe his magecraft can be the more pain he takes the more Prana he gains and the stronger his reinforcement becomes

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deviatesfish View Post

Heh.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

Of course, you mean in the chinese sense of the word, don't you?

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

*looks at responses so far*

Huh. Should I ask a mod to delete this thread?

-- Chinese Proverb

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Maybe post them in the thread next time instead
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Worried Soul That Watches Larekko12's Avatar
    It could be used as a point of change in Shinji and his relationship with his sister like in those Letters Series where he came to the conclusion it was not worth the pain.
    Then let it break, if it shatters to pieces then forge an even better blade to take in hand. Should that blade crack then forge once again, untill the battlefield is a graveyard of blades that have fallen and but a single sword claims the field that embodies the world. Let that sword bear the world untill its time comes and time blows its dust to the winds. Then forge again.---Eric Dagger

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Maybe post them in the thread next time instead
    Given that choice, I'd rather not post, here.

More likely, I'll have this thread deleted, and if I ever post this idea again, I'll be without reference to Shinji.

It says a lot about the differing corporate culture between here and TFF, since they were much less annoying.

-- Chinese Proverb

Okay, really, what are you so upset about?

As American as a foreign immigrant EnigmaticFellow's Avatar
    Maybe he doesn't like Shinji?
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerang View Post
    Gilgamesh has A Lck.

wut bout that
    His fate as the most powerful Servant is to steamroll every war he takes part in.

Somehow, he manages to defy all odds and deny this fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    If only I could be respected without having to be respectable.

What Fate/Stay Night character are you?
    Kotomine Kirei
    You are Kirei. You've always been a little different from the rest. You probably have low social skills. Whatever, it's not like what they think matters anyway. Ever searching for something missing within you, you probably don't experience the same happiness as everyone else. Good and evil are just labels, you are who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaticFellow View Post
    Maybe he doesn't like Shinji?
    I had to read it, like, five times to notice the question asking about Shirou's personality, and it still seems like the overused plot idea of, "what if [character X] was darker; kills people and doesn't afraid of anything?" Ayako and Taiga might be more interesting with magecraft, but Shinji's the one who really changes with it.

Given all that, and presuming the story is going to be one I will be interested in, Shinji is the most logical main character for a fanfic with this premise.

As American as a foreign immigrant EnigmaticFellow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    I had to read it, like, five times to notice the question asking about Shirou's personality, and it still seems like the overused plot idea of, "what if [character X] was darker; kills people and doesn't afraid of anything?" Ayako and Taiga might be more interesting with magecraft, but Shinji's the one who really changes with it.

Given all that, and presuming the story is going to be one I will be interested in, Shinji is the most logical main character for a fanfic with this premise.
    The main reason for me asking that was that I noticed most of the posters talking about him; though, I do agree that Shinji's perspective would be the most interesting one here.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerang View Post
    Gilgamesh has A Lck.

wut bout that
    His fate as the most powerful Servant is to steamroll every war he takes part in.

Somehow, he manages to defy all odds and deny this fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    If only I could be respected without having to be respectable.

What Fate/Stay Night character are you?
    Kotomine Kirei
    You are Kirei. You've always been a little different from the rest. You probably have low social skills. Whatever, it's not like what they think matters anyway. Ever searching for something missing within you, you probably don't experience the same happiness as everyone else. Good and evil are just labels, you are who you are.

*is disgusted and annoyed*

I don't consider a Shinji-centric story from this idea interesting. I only mentioned him in the first place as a convenient way to kill him off.

So, how do I find a mod? On Spacebattles.com, their listed at the bottom of each forum page, so you know who to contact, but that doesn't seem the case, here.

-- Chinese Proverb

They have differently colored names.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
    *is disgusted and annoyed*

I don't consider a Shinji-centric story from this idea interesting. I only mentioned him in the first place as a convenient way to kill him off.

So, how do I find a mod? On Spacebattles.com, their listed at the bottom of each forum page, so you know who to contact, but that doesn't seem the case, here.
    Up on the top, Quick links, Forum Leaders.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Asshats don't cease when they die but after folk forget what made them fun LunarLegend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Shinji surviving this would make it far more interesting imo. He's the person whose character would change the most I'd imagine.

To be fair, Shinji is a piece of moral shit in canon!Fate, combined with a major lack competence and overinflated ego. Hating him is only natural.

That being said, I find the idea of exploring what an utter bastard in canon could have been under different circumstances fascinating. This is kind of what I'd planned if I ever decided to do a fic where Shinji redeemed himself - he acquire'd magic circuits through some means, and manages to break free of sick self-aggrandizing and abusive relationship with pretty much everyone he knows.

That being said - if he is dead - the rest of the fic has some potential. I personally don't like the idea of Taiga being a human guinea-pig, as she's 1- a yakuza's daughter and 2- the lighthearted emotional center of Shirou's life, who provides an affectionate balance to all the grim stuff he endures. Both from an in-universe perspective or a mechanical approach to the writing, it doesn't work.

Overall though, a concept worth investigating and discussing more