Page 207 of 313 FirstFirst ... 107157197202205206207208209212217257307 ... LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,140 of 6259

Thread: Dark Souls

Banned
    Bloodborne is a worse game than DS2

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors black1blade's Avatar
    A lot of people don't like dark souls 2 so I wont bother with it.

- - - Updated - - -

And the fast paced nature of bloodborne really appeals to me as does the fact that there are fewer weapons with broader movesets.

- - - Updated - - -

Although yeah unless I play both which I probably wont, I can't really say which is better.

Although there are things about dark souls 2 I really didn't like from the few hours I've had playing it. The fact that enemies don't respawn really sucks and I don't see what is accomplished by the fact that you can permanently loose potential souls, punishing non skilled players. Actually the fact that your health goes down every time you die is another counter intuitive thing where the more you suck, the harder the game gets. I also don't like the fact that the camera is more zoomed in on your character model because it means you don't have as clear view on the environment and enemies around you. It also somewhat decreases the sense of scale you feel when compared to larger enemies as you take up so much of the screen anyway. I assume the guards in anor londo in dark souls 1 and the guards in totally not anor londo in dark souls 2 are the same size but they feel much bigger in dark souls 1. That segways onto another point and that is that the game is non-linear to such a ridiculous extent and that the design of the hub doesn't really guide you to the easier area or the one you are meant to tackle first. When I was playing, I went straight to the totally not anor londo area and I was totally overwhelmed. My friend eventually guided me back to the lower level area but the fact that you can walk straight to one of the harder areas from the start is poor design in my opinion. I don't think multiple open but required paths work in games that have scaling stats and levels because it's likely that you wont necessarily get the appropriate level of challenge from an area. Going back to dark souls 1, I think this is the biggest problem with the second half of the game because all the areas leading to the bosses and their respective lord souls are pretty similar in difficulty so whichever you do first will be pretty hard and whichever you do last will be pretty easy, that is assuming you are being optimal with spending souls which I found it quite easy to do. Anyway back to DS2, I guess the only other thing I could say is I don't like the enemy behaviours and how they can pivot in the middle of an attack animation. Oh also healing, starting with 1 estus sucks and the healing is really slow which also sucks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    A lot of people don't like dark souls 2 so I wont bother with it.
    l o l

- - - Updated - - -

That segways onto another point and that is that the game is non-linear to such a ridiculous extent and that the design of the hub doesn't really guide you to the easier area or the one you are meant to tackle first. When I was playing, I went straight to the totally not anor londo area and I was totally overwhelmed. My friend eventually guided me back to the lower level area but the fact that you can walk straight to one of the harder areas from the start is poor design in my opinion.
    What is New Londo Ruins and the Catacombs

Yeah fair enough but the game does a pretty good job of pointing you towards undead burg.

Blog Entries
    That segways onto another point and that is that the game is non-linear to such a ridiculous extent and that the design of the hub doesn't really guide you to the easier area or the one you are meant to tackle first. When I was playing, I went straight to the totally not anor londo area and I was totally overwhelmed.
    Are you talking about Tower of Flame or what?
    Tower of Flame is not hard
    well unless you cant use a mace or if you're mage

Oh also healing, starting with 1 estus sucks and the healing is really slow which also sucks.
    better get used to lifegems, they're totally superior for in-combat healing
    although you dont have much of those in the beginning of the game so yeah, healing is hard
    Last edited by Aozaki-desu; April 9th, 2016 at 09:33 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    bonfires are close to each other in DSII early game for that reason tho

Year 1

Salt Corner

Quote Originally Posted by hayate View Post
    He's the exception. We see him swimming in with the
    gold
    good
    waifus.

He got his share of woes as with other players, but it has been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of different SSRs, both as F2P and P2P.

I don't even wish to stand beside him as I got 2 consecutive IRs at my work the very same month after I got Jeanne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    Okay:

First of all, a big FUCK YOU to everyone who got Holmes
    Second of all, a DOUBLE FUCK YOU at Laith because asahkwbebnfj,hhfshfls;
    Third of all, a TRIPLE FUCK YOU to people who quote Laith's gacha posts. THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING HIM IN MY IGNORE LIST IS TO PREVENT THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    fuck laith btw

Blog Entries
    Wew lad just beat DkS3 a little while ago.

I'm actually gonna spoil shit here so fuck off and don't read it if you don't want to be spoiled
    So first things first, the game actually has a disappointing and lame early period. Level design, the enemies, it all feels and looks like it's just cruising on Bloodborne. But really, looking like Bloodborne isn't really an objective con, but doesn't at all feel like the medieval, slightly gothic or dark fantasy setting that I picture when I think of Dark Souls. The actual sin of this early point of the game is that most enemies are just 0 poise, slightly taller than you zombies with assorted improvised weapons, that you just cut down like mowing grass. It's dreadfully unexciting, and I spent the first two hours of the game feeling concerned, or rather fearful, that the rest of the game might disappoint me like that.

The only shining light giving me hope during this point of the game were the occasional Lothric Knights spread about, that actually had the ability to defend themselves and take a hit and even trade with me! Not only that, but the knightly enemies even made me remember that yes, indeed, I'm playing Souls, not Bloodborne!

But many times, it was just Souls. As in, Demon Souls. This game is so fucking Demon Souls. Of course haha hurr durr Demon's Souls Dark Souls same shit xD but they're pretty different, at least atmospherically. Of course haha hurr durr Spinach the ebin MLG gaymur caring about atmosphere. Not like it's actually a major problem to me, I liked the tone of Demon's Souls, which managed to be a bit unnerving/creepy in its level and enemy design, rather than imposing/grand like Dark Souls 1 and 2 were. But there were so, so, so many zones in the game that looked like they were ripped straight out of Bloodborne or Demon's Souls, that at times I thought maybe I bought the wrong game and was playing Demonborne instead. Irithyll Dungeon and Lothric Castle are the absolute WORST offenders, being literally Tower of Latria and literally Boletaria, but better. That's an important thing to keep in mind while I complain about the huge amount of Demon's Souls bleeding into the game.

No matter what you do when you copy from Demon's Souls, you're almost certainly going to make that thing better than what it originally was in Demon's Souls. That's just the way the cookie crumbles, and it's not Demon's Souls fault that Miyazaki keeps reusing the good ideas he used to make that game but keeps improving them every time he does so, but boy I actually started to get annoyed at it. I distinctly remember putting my controller down in the middle of Irithyll, resting my chin in my hand and audibly talking to my monitor, asking it as if it were a Fromsoft representative that could actually answer me, "what the fuck is this Latria shit you fucks?"

That's about it for the big cons really. I guess I could say boss fights are too spread out, but that's kind of minor, and the bosses are mostly stellar so I didn't mind it.

Well, except Yhorm. Because that fight was a sequel to a Demon's Souls fight that was, actually, not good from its very concept. It almost feels like a cutscene, both in DeS and DkS3, how you realize the boss is absurdly stupidly tedious to kill, until you see the shiny toy that lets you kill it effortlessly. I actually spent my first attempt trying to kill Yhorm WITHOUT using the Storm Ruler, largely out of stubbornness, and managed to take off a sizable chunk of his HP before finally dying like the little bitch I am.

But let's talk about the GOOD bosses, because there are a few. There's also one not so good one (What's-His-Face, the Consumed King) but he falls more in-between, as mediocre, rather than offensive or outstanding. Funny enough, the most spectacular fights basically feel like they were plucked straight out of Dark Souls 2. Huge, heavily armored knights who come at you aggressively, hitting hard and hitting fast with large attacks. Champion Gundyr and the Dragonslayer Armor are actually stellar fights. Gundyr in particular, having a moveset that covers basically all angles, so you actually have to fight him instead of just getting in the spot he can't punish you at and hacking him to death. But I won't give those two all the credit, because aside from Yhorm actually being a sinful existence undeserving of being in the opening cinematic, the two other 'main' boss enemies are fucking great.

Aldrich and the Abyss Watchers are really cool fights. Of course, I think the Abyss Watchers could be a little more difficult, or perhaps just had some more HP on NG (IDK how NG+ is yet), but it was still fun. Aldrich though was great. Cool design, surprisingly amount of obvious narrative dedicated to him, more than most bosses get, so you actually feel eager to fight him as you progress. Then there's how he very VERY blatantly cements DkS3's sequel status to DkS1(it almost feels like DkS2 is forgotten, save for some items and other references [Faraam's set description is a callback to the "go beyond death" advertising slogan kek] but Yhorm did to a degree feel like a followup to DkS2, but his horrid execution haunts even that...). Then it's actually a pretty fun boss. It's like playing 2hu, but in Dark Souls! I also won't lie, I got a bit of a tingly feeling just fighting him in that familiar room. In fact, the entire time I was revisiting Anor Londo, I felt giddy. Like lightning was running up and down my spine, tickling my balls and my brain.

Also uh Lothric Castle is super duper fucking fun despite being Boletaria 2.0, and the actual last boss, Soul of Cinder, might be the best Souls boss, like by far. The phase 1 being some weird fanservice to the players, "hey he's using pyromancy, sorcery, miracles, all these different weapons, holy shit it's like all those builds I went through wait is that the Chosen Undead??" and the transition into phase 2, Gwyn Lord of Cinder playing softly in the background while the Soul of Cinder replicates his old attack patterns. It was really a fanservicy fight, but it felt organic, like even without these things being nods to the previous games, it still would have been a good fight.

I guess that's all I can think of at the moment. I'll probably pick the game up and play more tomorrow, after some rest. I did just play through it all in one single sitting, basically only leaving the desk to get water, use the restroom, and at one point to eat some cold leftover pizza.

As for my build if anyone is interested, it was a very manly Strength build using almost exclusively axes. I ran the Battle Axe for a large portion of the game, dipped into the Executioner's Greatsword for a short time (most of the Cathedral, basically), then picked up the Greataxe(this weapon is lovely), eventually grabbed Yhorm's Great Machete, then got a Black Knight Greataxe, which I upgraded ASAP and used the rest of the way. Total playtime upon credit roll was 15h55m.

If DkS3 weapons were cute anime girls, which would you fuck and why would it be the Greataxe?

Yeah I think having stuff in spoiler tags for a while will be a good idea or I could just not go on the thread

Blog Entries
    As a mod I'll say that being less than 24 hours after the game's official English release (on PC, wasn't it out earlier on Sexbox?) if you wanna talk about the game, use spoilers, though honestly anyone that cares shouldn't come into this thread until they've played the game, I know I sure as hell stayed out.

Blog Entries
    I'd be playing, if my computer wasn't exploding!

- - - Updated - - -

And the early release was for Japan, it wasn't system based.

Blog Entries
    I heard there was some fuck-up with the Xbox version and the English version was available for it a week early or something, but I didn't get specifics before I told my friend to shut the fuck up before I stabbed him for talking about the game I was so patently waiting for.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    You already beat it? That was fast.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    You already beat it? That was fast.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    not surprised tbh
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Banned
    You could download an unfinished version of the international release on Xbox, minus the balance patch and such

oh yeah shit i'll just get the digital copy XD

- - - Updated - - -

take a while to download but less time than reordering from amazon.

- - - Updated - - -

take a while to download but less time than reordering from amazon.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I'd be playing, if my computer wasn't exploding!

- - - Updated - - -

And the early release was for Japan, it wasn't system based.
    I'd be playing, if my computer hadn't exploded almost a month ago, and the repairs are taking approximately ninety thousand years!

... My laptop's a GT 540M, 4GB ram. Time to 4fps this shit.

Realtalk: Probably won't be playing for at least another week or two, sorry gaiz, not gonna be able to set up any early game lvl 10 pvp sessions for a while.

Guess it's back to Stardew valley and 15fps DarkMaus for me.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Argg forgot digital copies were more expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Hope they'll be a copy in my local insane games tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Okay, good, looks like my laptop has exploded itself out, time to get back to it.