Page 5 of 313 FirstFirst ... 34567101555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Blog Entries
    MSGS has monstrous strength scaling though. But yea I'll try the BSS.

So what's considered high poise and low poise?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainrir View Post
    I seriously doubt someone will have enough time to run in for a backstab for a max range Claymore 1HR2. Unless they rolled it because the predicted it.
    But the claymore poke is telegraphed, isn't it? Unless I am remembering wrongly

deadfish
    What's the typical SL range now for PVP?

Blog Entries
    It was still hovering around SL 125 last time I was playing. Which was earlier this year, granted, but I doubt it's changed much.

Blog Entries
    Still 125. I keep getting indicted when i win and i dunno if it is because i played well or if they hate me.

Also solaire has a fuckton of hp. Backstabbed him twice, once after the host died and i thought he was down. I was wrong. He got up and swiped off half of my health!
    Last edited by Apple; April 15th, 2012 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    MSGS has monstrous strength scaling though. But yea I'll try the BSS.
    If you STR is high, then BSS might not be optimal. BSS is a DEX weapon in normal upgrades.

So what's considered high poise and low poise?.
    40 is considered entry-level poise for any slow weapon user, this level allows you to take most weapons withouy flinching.

53-56 is high poise, which gives you resistance to Claymore (53) to Murakumo (56).

74++ is ultra high poise, which gives you resistance to BKGA and Zwei.

Because your weapon is slow, you need the poise because otherwise even katanas will be able to stunlock you on hit and combo you to death.

But the claymore poke is telegraphed, isn't it? Unless I am remembering wrongly
    It is somewhat, but only if you get predictable with it. However, as I said, use as a predictive counter.

Blog Entries
    No, so long as a telegraph it can and will be bs punished. People have the tendency to roll into it and avoid taking damage completely then backstab as you recover (or poise the hit entirely) regardless of predictability. Only useful if used in a combo or to punish spear poke-rollers imo.

In any case i am now in love with the shotel. Hop onto my mage, equip wolf ring, get heaviest armor possible, use cmw and troll everyone in goddamn anor londo. I think i lost 4 or 5 times out of 50, 3 of which was against the same guy who kept warpstabbing me.

The will not have enough range on their roll to punish a max range Claymore 1HR2, you can try it for yourself. You will end your roll in front of the person, not at his side. Certainly not within the backstab angle. This applies even with DWGR. If they poise-run it, that is even worse, they will not be fast enough to backstab you before you recover to counter that attempt. Reality is that if you do it as a counter, people wouldn't be fast enough to react because they will be locked in their animation. I did this when I backstepped BKGA users in Havels. Poise rushers ignore damage to damage you, but this can easily be turned on them if you poke them to death with small but fast attacks

The worst case is that you end up with him before you, he will recovering from his roll while you recover from your stab. Both of you will recover at the same time. This just puts things back to neutral. Admittedly, in such close quaters, the fight is dangerous because anyone can get a game ending stab in. But this applies to him as well as you.

As for the shotel, it is great against people who turtle behind shields. That is about its only use. The damage appears nto be high because punching through shields with it counts as a counter hit. It probably will surprise even vets when you pull it out for that last finishing blow. If you use it as a main weapon, people will generally know what to expect and not block that much, reducing the damage potential. If someone DOESN'T run when they see you do DMB/SLB/CMW then they suck, no reason to fight someone on their terms at all. It is like fighting someone with GMB/FS on when you use a Magic/Fire weapon.
    Last edited by Rainrir; April 17th, 2012 at 12:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    If they try to run, i backstab. If they flip all over the place i wait for them to exhaust their stamina and then cut into them when it does. If they try to tank, i 2h r2. The shotel is goddamn awesome, it's fast and stunlocks like a bitch.

Unless you cast your "magic weapon" spell in the middle of a melee battle, an experienced person will run when they SEE THE WEAPON GLOW from a distance. Noone will stay an fight someone with CMW/DMB/SLB active. I wonder how you backstab from that distance, and it will inevitably end up becoming a chase. He only needs to stay away for 60 seconds before you need to renew it again. 45, of he is at all compentent in dancing and avoiding attacks.

I also believe you will lose a poise battle against someone who uses a heavy weapon if you do a poise to poise swing battle (assuming equal armor). As far as I remember Shotel doesn't have high poise damage (someone in havel+ wolf's ring can take like 3-4 hits from it versus the heavier weapons of 1-2 hits.), if you stun anyone, that is probably because the added effect when you punch through someone's shield.

Blog Entries
    I have a feeling shotel also punches through poise, i've stunlocked people in havels before in 2 r2 hits. Shit was crazy lol, he had an uber greatsword but he couldnt get the hit in.

I also love people who hop away till my buff expires and then come back, they get way overconfident and start making mistakes (or start being real aggressive in general). Typically can lure them into a backstab.

Shotel 1H does 6 poise damage. Shotel 2HR2 is an oddity as in it does 31 poise damage on hit (which makes it very different from the other daggers). If you stunlock people with two hits, that means they must have an overall poise of less than 62. Shotel 2HR2 isn't exactly fast either. If they get stunlocked, they probably think that they could have powered through for 1st hit and hit you with a slow weapon...forgetting that Shotel has a relatively high poise damage R2.

A person in Full Black Iron (like deadfish) would have 79 poise, which means he can take both hits. Someone like me (Paladin/Black Iron Gestalt) would have something like 64 poise, which can also take 2 consecutive 2HR2s (though that will be cutting it close). I think you might be mistaken when you said you stunlock people in Havels. At 121 combined poise, they can take 3 hits of the Shotel 2HR2. They will take 5 if they go overboard and throw in the wolf's ring...

More likely or not you stunned someone with a partial Havel set, which has 65 poise or less. Alot of people do that because they want to be able to flip using DWGR without using Havel's Ring. Even then, I really doubt two hits can stun people like that, it may more likely be that you caught them trying to block with their shields. I believe there is an amplified effect if you hit with shotel on someone who is blocking...
    Last edited by Rainrir; April 17th, 2012 at 02:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Yeah it was mom+havels+hollow soldier skirt or something. I presumed 77 poise since there was someone blaring ongamefaqs that that was the best weight for poise combo (77 poise at 31 odd pounds)

Shotel is still surprisingly effective on gs users though (unless i fuck up my target lock and get hit twice)

That looks bloody ugly. Travesty like that should be punished. I sure wish the next Souls game give + benefits for armor used as a set/partial sets to prevent people from pull this "rainbow pimp gear" BS.

There is a penalty for "rainbow pimp gear."

It's called looking ridiculous.

Winning while looking cool earns more respect. Winning while looking like an idiot isn't really going to garner you much.

Blog Entries
    I personally dislike the masks, not because everyone uses them but because it is essential to use motf for my dslayer spear character. I win a match and then turn to my character and sigh inwardly

Btw where do you get the poise values per attack?

It is on the old demon soul wiki forum.

Unfortunately, looking good isn't really that high on people's list if it is pitted against ACTUALLY WINNING. The masks are superior because they actually offer statistical advantages. Give +bonuses to sets would at least give a choice between a synergistic effect versus a singular effect. Plus, many armors in the game have redunacy issues (other than looks), especially for the zero poise armors.

They also should do something with the DWGR, I mean I like the idea, but the execution means Havel people flipping like ninja....which look ridiculous...Not to mention it breaks the poise-mobility decision.
    Last edited by Rainrir; April 17th, 2012 at 02:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    I was forced to switch to dwgr. The 25% roll seriously needs to be buffed, i can't catch up with people who spear poke and rololololololol all day long just using it.

Actually, no, i can catch them but the invulnerability frames are so numerous that with my lag it becomes impossible to deal damage.

Blog Entries
    Rainrir, could you link me to the chart please? I googled 'poise damage' and 'poise damage value' and 'poise damage demons souls wiki' and all sorts of other combinations but i can't find the source
    you got the shotel values from.

Poise breakdown list (does not have all weapon values).

http://forums.demonssouls.info/viewt...p?f=76&t=14822

Poise is easy to test if you have a friend that you can online with.

In other news,
    http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/17...ight-artorias/

PLAY AS A GUTS EXPY WITH A BIG ASS SWORD AND WOLF MOTIFF? SIGN ME.
    Last edited by Rainrir; April 17th, 2012 at 09:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    OHHH MY GOD PLAY AS SIR ARTORIASS

wonder if we get to bang ciaran