Page 311 of 313 FirstFirst ... 211261301306309310311312313 LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,220 of 6259

Thread: Dark Souls

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Then I flossed my teeth good. Cos you can't forget flossing, no sir.
    Flossed those teeth with lightning arrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

I usually just grab a toothpick and face the problem head on, fighting the dark bits in a fiery battle

Any weapon is basically a toothpick to a dragon, toothpicks are truly the strongest

Can't believe You didn't fight the laser dragon with fire/lightning dual swords as the chuuni requirement dictates
    <%canaki> can we move the toast down to be emergency pantsu and put the boiled egg in her mouth
    My stuff | GO stuff | YouTube | Twitter

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Midir's great, but the ridiculous amount of HP and weak spot thing wasn't nuanced enough to be a good idea. Sure, do more damage by hitting his head, but why wouldn't you put a little more effort into such a well designed boss and give him more than one obnoxiously placed weak spot?
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

JP Friend Code
    Because why not

Blog Entries
    The Fume Ultra Greatsword is everything I ever could have wanted. So is the Millwood Battle Axe (with a Heavy Gem). Shout out to Vordt's Great Hammer, too. It got me to the point where I could enjoy the MBA and the FUGS.

I'm so glad I started DS3 again. My high Strength run has allowed me to break this game over my knee. I love being able to poise through most of the enemies in the game to smash them flat for at least 50% of their health bar, sometimes even one-shotting them altogether.

It felt so good to kill that three-man gank squad just before the Twin Princes after they made me rage quit my last game. The FUGS completely trivialized them. The Twin Princes killed me twice, but I got through the third and final round with half of my flasks remaining. Dodge into Lorian and to his left. Easy peasy. Got Champion Gundyr on my first pass.

I'm almost done with the Ashes of Ariandel, which means I'm fast approaching the legendarily difficult Friede fight. Then I will roll into The Ringed City and loop back around to the final boss. Provided, of course, that Friede and Gael don't break my spirit.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

Blog Entries
    Double post I guess because no one else posts here anymore

I've beaten the Soul of Cinder and all of the mandatory DLC bosses. All that's left is Midir and the Nameless King.

I'm a little let down by some of these legendarily tough bosses like the Dancer, Friede and Lorian. They all have one gimmick -- be it the Dancer and Friede's grab attacks or Lorian's teleports -- that looks insane, but once you see past that trick, they become total pushovers. Took me about ten tries to get Friede, and that was a matter of burning through most of my flasks in the first round thanks to her invisible grab attack that does something like 70% of your health bar. The other two phases are nothing compared to that. Father Ariandel is a giant punching bag, and Edgy Friede's black flame radius is a minor nuisance without the grab.

Even Gael went down on my third try. Funny that I also found his first form to be the toughest due to his erratic fighting style. Once he stood upright, he telegraphed his swings days in advance.

The Nameless King's problem, though, is that I'm fighting two bosses and a camera. I can't even tell what's killing me during the first phase most of the time because all I can see is feathers and the interior of the giant dragon that the King rides. Phase one isn't difficult; it's tedious. My Heavy Millwood Battle Axe +10 chews through the dragon's health bar in no time flat when I can get a lot of hits in, but again, I have to return to the problem of the camera. I don't know where I am relation to the head half of the time. I've reached the King himself a few times already, but that feels like luck of the draw with how much the camera feels like cooperating on that particular run.

A pity that so much of this boss fight's difficulty is poor game design.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    Double post I guess because no one else posts here anymore

I've beaten the Soul of Cinder and all of the mandatory DLC bosses. All that's left is Midir and the Nameless King.

I'm a little let down by some of these legendarily tough bosses like the Dancer, Friede and Lorian. They all have one gimmick -- be it the Dancer and Friede's grab attacks or Lorian's teleports -- that looks insane, but once you see past that trick, they become total pushovers. Took me about ten tries to get Friede, and that was a matter of burning through most of my flasks in the first round thanks to her invisible grab attack that does something like 70% of your health bar. The other two phases are nothing compared to that. Father Ariandel is a giant punching bag, and Edgy Friede's black flame radius is a minor nuisance without the grab.

Even Gael went down on my third try. Funny that I also found his first form to be the toughest due to his erratic fighting style. Once he stood upright, he telegraphed his swings days in advance.

The Nameless King's problem, though, is that I'm fighting two bosses and a camera. I can't even tell what's killing me during the first phase most of the time because all I can see is feathers and the interior of the giant dragon that the King rides. Phase one isn't difficult; it's tedious. My Heavy Millwood Battle Axe +10 chews through the dragon's health bar in no time flat when I can get a lot of hits in, but again, I have to return to the problem of the camera. I don't know where I am relation to the head half of the time. I've reached the King himself a few times already, but that feels like luck of the draw with how much the camera feels like cooperating on that particular run.

A pity that so much of this boss fight's difficulty is poor game design.
    Don't lock on and only aim for the head. The fight will be over much quicker that way.

I've just completed Dark Souls 3. Midir and Gael were the last bosses remaining and both of them are very dead. Now I can finally go back to Dark Souls 1&2. Both games I enjoyed much more than this one. I think that's less to do with the quality of the game and more to do with my own mental state when I was playing them.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Dancer's grab attacks aren't her gimmick, it's her weird attack patterns and repeating attacks.

Nameless King, the last thing you want to do is get under the dragon. Stay at its head, and just punch it in the head till it drops.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I had more trouble with the nameless king than the drake tbh.
    Just threw some dark fireballs at its head gg
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Dancer's grab attacks aren't her gimmick, it's her weird attack patterns and repeating attacks.

Nameless King, the last thing you want to do is get under the dragon. Stay at its head, and just punch it in the head till it drops.
    In NG atleast you can cheese her pretty easily with a shield. It was the only fight in the entire game where I aid attention to my stamina.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    As promised, my DS3 blogposting Odyssey continues here, where it will hopefully not bother any restless spirits.

Spoiler:

With Vordt gone, the Undead Settlement was a...mostly unpleasant surprise, as I got lost about a dozen times and died without recovering my souls about half that. This marks DS3's attempt at a sort of more open world environment where you have more places to explore per area and which is absolute murder for people who want to compulsively scour every corner in fear of having missed something before moving forward, like me. Nevertheless, after slogging through, getting bonked over the head repeatedly by the Evangelists, having a meeting with two very differently cheerful fellows (Egon of Carim and Siegward of Catarina, no relation), the Rotted Greatwood, a solid contender for the title of buggiest boss in the series to date, died (or, I guess, finished rotting) and I got the transposing kiln to make a nice sword out of its soul. And a ring out of Vordt's (which I fairly quickly stopped using and started wishing I'd gotten the hammer not long afterwards).

Fuck the Road of Sacrifices. Seriously, fuck it.
    First it was the bird-man-beastmen hitting for unconscionably large amounts of damage if they didn't die before transforming (even as I was frantically upgrading VIT and armor to catch up). Then after the Halfway Fortress and meeting the delightful Anri of Astora (again, no relation) and her companion "Grrrrrrrr *thrusting motion*" (as he introduced himself, giving me another Covenant trinket in the process), the Forest of Crucifixion begun.

SERIOUSLY, FUCK TREE CARRYING HOLLOWS. Fuck the absurd damage they do (almost twice as much as a trained Lothric knight using an actual goddamn metal pointy spear). Fuck their charge hitting half a dozen times, almost certainly staggering me through my shield, and having among the buggiest hitboxes known to man where they'd hit me for full damage when dodging through almost the entire front half of the tree trunk. But most of all fuck rheir stupid aggro range where they'd charge me if they so much as caught a whiff of my cape. Worse than the crabs. Way worse than the crabs.
    That fun eventually done with (oh, and for further apoplexy, I didn't discover the bonfire INSIDE the swamp until I'd already cleared the entire area and checked the wiki to make sure I hadn't missed anything) I moved past (it would be too quaint to say I "fought" it considering how easy it was, particularly with Egon of Carim in the wings) the Crystal Sage and reached a crossroads in my journey, left leading to the Cathedral of the Deeps and right to Farron Keep. My previous consultation with the
    wiki
    holy texts
    suggested I hit the Cathedral of the Deeps first to acquire tools that would make my trip through Farron Keep easier, so as a true contrarian I declared I liked the castle architecture better and anyway, I'd had enough of Miyazaki poison swamps in my life anyway, what was one more? and thus dove into the route to Farron Keep.

Fuck that swamp too.
    If you notice any inconsistencies in my post, it's because I had to go back and delete most of my previous rant. Why? Because this swamp of pain and the previous lake of pain completely ran together in my memory even though I only got through them two days ago. They are annoying areas filled with gotchas, ugly trees, and water. The swamp being poisonous didn't even make that much difference, other than it eventually forcing me to buy some purple moss clumps. I still spent most of my time trudging around in it poisoned anyway, it didn't cause that much damage and even with full poison-resisting gear there was no real way to avoid getting poisoned anyway if you wanted to get all the good stuff. The old wolf bonfire saved me so hard I pledged to the Wolves of Farron covenant immediately, and I even actually wore their trinket this time. Getting Havel's ring for evicting the demon squatting on their roof was also a godsent considering my proclivity for heavy (well, medium at this point) armor.
    After eventually lighting all the fires and getting through everything, fighting the Abyss Watchers themselves was almost a letdown. Granted, once again I availed myself of a summon (this time the Pale Shadow of Londor, probably an actual relation given his complexity), but for a fairly hyped up newbie wall boss they barely put up a big fight. The way forward opened once again, but being conservative of my newly gained wealth of souls I stopped exploring the Catacombs after getting crushed by a giant ball on a set of stairs that I know I didn't trigger myself. I managed to run up and retrieve them and turned back for the Cathedral of the Deeps, after a stopover to Firelink to invest them. Somewhere around here is the bit where I started considering saving up to cure the Dark Sigil, since the more Yoel (and later Yuria) fawned over me the more I saw that heading towards a Bad End, for the world if not for yours truly. For the time being, being far from the goal and about to enter a brand new area that was sure to kill me in new and exciting ways, I invested them in getting and infusing the Wolf Knight Greatsword, because it looked sick as fuck and because "extra damage to creatures of the Abyss" is one of those things guaranteed to come in handy sooner or later.

I don't have much to say about the Cathedral itself, other than it was again more annoying than challenging. The endless undead in the graveyard on one side were more of a chore than a challenge (because I was like 10 damage short of the threshold for killing them with one-handed R1's), the bleeding worm undead on the other side were worse (and their bleeding worm debuff can go right to hell, not only were they invisible most of the time, how was I supposed to figure out using a torch kills them?) but easily dispatched, and the climb upwards that makes up the majority of the level rife with "surprise thrall butseks" ambushes in narrow ledges. At least they didn't quite pull off an Anor Londo Silver Knights move this time. Yet. The giant inside was a fun challenge (or would be if my character hadn't hit an air walking glitch that caused me to lose my fucking souls the second attempt through), Rosaria's Covenant was discovered and NOT pledged to (she may be hot, but if she sleeps with worm undead and won't talk, she ain't the one, champ) and the Deacons of the Deep, present Anri and Horace, didn't even live long enough for me to enjoy their theme before they snuffed it for good. (I put it up on YouTube, it's great).
    Which brings us to now: with High King Skeletor dead and the Catacombs hopefully fully explored, I put a pin on moving on to colder climates and decided to dig down further, which has led me to a lot of lava, lava versions of the swamp Beastmen that somehow poison you even faster, some sort of lightning worm I put off until I could find a way to disable its artillery support, a lake, rats, and the return of the Basilisks In A Tiny Room which cost me another 20k souls (more specifically, return of the Greatsword Spam Guy in a tiny corridor got me the first time, and my impatience caused me to die to the Basilisks the second). After Im done with them, there's a fog gate with my name on it. No clue who's behind it, should be fun. Then to deliver the sad news to Anri, and then onwards to frostier climes!

Oh, speaking of which, during my visit to the Cathedral some hooded motherfucker sucked me into a painting. Again. At least this time they let me warp out because the locals here were way too unfriendly (and hard hitting) for my current level.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; July 7th, 2023 at 08:05 AM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Damn, you quickly outpaced me since I'm still at the start of the Road of Sacrifices...granted I put down DS3 for a while and have been amusing myself by playing AC:Syndicate for the past week or so.

I will agree with Rotting Greatwood being a badly designed boss. It wouldn't have been so bad if you could actually lock on to his juicy spots because otherwise trying to damage him without long ranged attacks is a nightmare. The fact that he's an optional boss might have allowed me to give it a pass...except for the fact that you can't get the Kiln any other way which is annoying.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    My least favourite part of DS3, right there- everything from the Greatwood up to the Crystal Sage.

The Greatwood has a lot of annoying RNG, and will seemingly randomly chunk your HP.

The sage is Pinwheel 2.0- absolutely zero issues if your character's levelled and you have a weapon levelled, but the way I play it, I'll only ever have a level 0 weapon when I go to fight that one (on my way to pick up whatever real weapon I want to use on that character, why waste upgrade materials?), and both Sage and Pinwheel are absolute bastards when you can't two-shot them.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Damn, you quickly outpaced me since I'm still at the start of the Road of Sacrifices...granted I put down DS3 for a while and have been amusing myself by playing AC:Syndicate for the past week or so.

I will agree with Rotting Greatwood being a badly designed boss. It wouldn't have been so bad if you could actually lock on to his juicy spots because otherwise trying to damage him without long ranged attacks is a nightmare. The fact that he's an optional boss might have allowed me to give it a pass...except for the fact that you can't get the Kiln any other way which is annoying.
    Hope I didn't spoil much of the upcoming, ahem, "fun". I will continue the rest of my travails in spoiler form just in case.

Spoiler:

Many, many more rounds around tunnels infested with things that kill you if you stop paying attention, I managed to solve two of my "guy with enormous sword that does way too much damage and can't be hitstunned" problems at once by introducing the greatsword black knight on the bridge leading outside to the Knight Slayer Tsorig and letting them amicably solve their differences (then dishonorably ganking the winner, they're NPC's, whattheygonnadoaboutit?). All my best fireproof equipment wasn't enough for my puny 20 VIT ass to survive grabbing the neat stuff that was literally on lava, thus they were abandoned for a very nebulous "later". After some climbing, I finally located and turned off the infernal ballista that had been bombarding the area (and which was somehow automated, apparently, since I didn't find anybody in/on it) and went on to fight the area boss, Old Demon King. (I had, in a previous sanity break from diving the basilisk tunnel to fight Tsorig, managed to get the ballista to solve my lightning worm problems, which netted me the very interesting Shield of Want). As it usually goes with Dark Souls bosses, I got the old man down to 1/10 health the first round through, then spent another ten dying and learning his patterns enough to beat him legitimately (being too stingy and stubborn to ember up and summon the NPC I'd seen going up the first time through). That done and with nothing else to do, I gave the Snowfields of Ariandel a second go, which I ended nearly as quickly as the first one, since apparently after beefsteak versions of the typical guard enemy the next opponent type was beefsteak dogs (wolves) backed up by pyromancy machinegun trees. You know it's time to go when the trees start speaking Izalith.

Thus cornered I was forced to once again proceed in the direction of the main story and into Irithyll proper. A giant crocodile ambush nearly chew-toyed me, and just for fun I got invaded by a Dark Spirit *during* the fight. Fortunately I managed to heal before engaging it on the bridge, but the dude owned me honorably. I had a lot of fun fighting Pontiff Knights, for all their ridiculous weapons and armor they have distinct strengths and weaknesses while still staying true to the knight archetype. Distinctly less fun were the pyromancy-spamming bishops who stsrt out with hit squads of greatsword-carrying distractions and can clairvoyance their fucking flame pillars even when they have absolutely no line of sight to you. As soon as I got to the Church of YorHa (sorry, Yorksha) and murdered the infiltrator hiding there I plunging attack murdered the one sitting conveniently under a broken balcony a half dozen times in revenge (and only got their gauntlets, twice).
    Long story short, I made my way to Pontiff Sullivan (pardon, Sulyvahn). The Silver Knight admiring a portrait of Gwynevere was a very nostalgic touch, and his buddy noscoping you from the balcony if you tried to backstab him even more so. Being officially in Yuria's shitlist, Pale Shadow of Londor invaded me and managed to get a bitch jump attack on my back while I was struggling with the abnormally tough dogs found afterwards, but I smashed him (her? it?) good on the rematch. The Pontiff fight itself, now... that was a ton of fun. A really well-designed boss, fun and varied moveset that's designed to reward observing the boss rather than spamming rolls, and that second phase Virgil powerup was just *chef's kiss*. If I have a complaint about the fight (and while relatively minor, it's a stinker), the run back was just too much of a bitch for such a difficult boss. Maybe I was underlevelled or undergeared, but having to fight two Pontiff Knights every time (not to mention those invisible Hollows in the stairs potentially getting in cheapshots since they aggro before you can even see them) is just too much to keep doing just as a warmup before you even get to see the boss. I stuck it out and tried to fight him solo unembered a dozen times or so, but in the end I couldn't resist and brought my definitely not waifu Anri in with me again. It's absurd how much easier the fight gets when the attention you suffer is split in half, even if the NPC does nothing but hold a shield up themselves. I beat Sulyvahn first go like this but to be honest... I don't feel like I completely deserved that win. All that "git gud" talk is getting infectious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    My least favourite part of DS3, right there- everything from the Greatwood up to the Crystal Sage.

The Greatwood has a lot of annoying RNG, and will seemingly randomly chunk your HP.

The sage is Pinwheel 2.0- absolutely zero issues if your character's levelled and you have a weapon levelled, but the way I play it, I'll only ever have a level 0 weapon when I go to fight that one (on my way to pick up whatever real weapon I want to use on that character, why waste upgrade materials?), and both Sage and Pinwheel are absolute bastards when you can't two-shot them.
    I feel you. I've only upgraded my starting battleaxe (which is apparently just really good? Never been much of an axe fan, but it works too well to be easily replaced, especially after all this investment) to currently Heavy +7, and the Wolf Knight Greatsword to +2. I would swap to the latter full time if I could but not only is its weight a problem, I can't seem to find the materials to upgrade it again so it's fallen way behind in terms of damage.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eh, you don’t need to spoil tag stuff for me, since I’m not playing for the plot, I know everything there is too know already down to even the drop rates for items.

Good thing too as I would have totally have sequence breaked and ended up fighting Dancer before Vordt if I hadn’t been warned, not to be my usual stupid self.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

I would never, I'm too scared to punch nonhostile NPCs just in case they hold the ultimate key to power ten years down the road or something. I think the only exception I've made to that rule was dunking on Shabriri when he showed up bodypuppeting my man Yura.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

post-Boreal Valley area stuff

OH MY FUCKING GOD THEY REALLY DID THE ARCHER ANOR LONDO THING AGAIN

wait a fuck
    this isn't "like" Anor Londo this is literally Anor Londo I'd recognise that stupid staircase anywhere

giantdad??????

Last edited by Deathhappens; July 7th, 2023 at 08:04 AM.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Profaned Capital and post-Boreal Valley boss area
    Aldrich done (took a lot more tries than he deserved thanks to that absolutely bullshit undodgeable arrow move), Yhorm done (even more of a cutscene boss than Rykard with Siegward in tow and he ain't even optional this time), and surprisingly enough Dancer of Boreal Valley down in two and a half tries (the half consisting of me panic mashing Homeward Bone when I triggered the fight by accident while carrying 80k souls+). No summons used or anything and at SL70 I don't think I'm particularly overlevelled, I guess this fight just clicked with me (that or I'm so tired my reflexes are responding slowly enough to actually dodge her rollcatches). Lothric whatever can wait until tomorrow. Or well. Later today.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; July 7th, 2023 at 08:03 AM.
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Glad this thread resurfaced. My friends and I bought Dark Souls Trilogy set on PS4 last month and it's their first time through it, my second time through 1 and 2, having never played 3. Since I've not played 3 yet I'm going to abstain from reading Deathhappens' posts until I get there myself. DSII is one of my all time favorite games. Dark Souls 1 is a classic with good reason, and still holds up today -- but some of my fondest memories of playing video games at home with my younger brother are from playing DSII vanilla on ps3.

Going through 1 and Scholar of the First Sin rn, Black Gulch and New Londo Ruins are such a great 'horror' areas. Oppressive darkness, and satisfying as hell to conquer. I hate Petrus in DSI so much. This is also the first time I've encountered the blacksmith in the Catacombs. What a sweet, funny intro cutscene to that character.