Page 58 of 73 FirstFirst ... 8485356575859606368 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1442

Thread: Melancholy of One (A Grail Works. LTD. Story)

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors gwonbush's Avatar
    I thought Caster was referred to as "he" once. Doesn't this mean that we know three things about Caster?

1: Caster is Rani's Servant (obvious but something we know)
    2: Caster's class is Caster (again, obvious. This does tend to narrow down fighting styles though)
    3: Caster is male

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pureauthor View Post
    Something seems up because whenever I copy-paste the text from my Word Document to here it always gives me a bunch of formatting glitches now. I'll have to see if I can fix this in the future. Thanks to everyone for pointing those glitches/typos out.
    I used to get asterisks when I posted - but not so much, lately. I think it's something to do with the compatibility of the board's format versus the word-processing program's. I suspect that a couple of the board's upgrades have fixed that for me, but not so much for you?

Arcueid can tell Kara isn't exactly normal, but Arcueid's been around the block enough (or, not enough, depending on your PoV) to not care if someone is abnormal by human standards. She was mostly annoyed that someone else would be spending the night in the same room as her and Shiki, and ruining the atmosphere.
    Good to know.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by gwonbush View Post
    I thought Caster was referred to as "he" once. Doesn't this mean that we know three things about Caster?

2: Caster's class is Caster (again, obvious. This does tend to narrow down fighting styles though)
    WMG

Caster is Shirou, swordy-wizard.

alternative, Caster is Harry "Moon-Cell is on fire, and it not my fault" Dresden.

set phasers to maximum FUN

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iamnuff View Post
    WMG
    Caster is Harry "Moon-Cell is on fire, and it not my fault" Dresden.
    It would so happen. After he raises a Polka Powered Zombie Dinosaur to taunt the Rider's with.

Chapter Forty Four: Pa/St/rategy

*~*

Disclaimer: I own nothing.

*~*

Two Days Ago…

“… I’m sorry… Lancer…”

“What are you talking about?” despite the blood covering his face and body, Lancer still sported a carefree grin. “You’ve given me one hell of a time, Master. This wasn’t a bad run at all.”

As the wall of red light began to slide into place, Rin closed her eyes as she felt her strength begin to fade.

*~*

"Master?" Kara took a quick look around the room, quickly noting the absence of any blonde-haired females in the vicinity. "Where's Miss Arcueid?"

"Hm? Oh. She went exploring."

"Exploring?"

"Yeah," a smile crossed Shiki's face briefly. "Arcueid's like that. Give her something she's never seen before and she's like a kid with a candy bar. Who knows who she's annoying right now."

"I see. Although... I'd have expected for you to be the one showing her around, Master."

"Yeah, I offered," he shrugged and stood. "But she told me to focus on the Grail War. There'll be plenty of time for introducing others to her later."

"I suppose" Kara said, somewhat surprised at the pleasant feeling she'd received after hearing that Arcueid wouldn't be with them - for today, at least. Quickly, she pushed that feeling aside. She could analyse it later, when she had the time to do so. Right now... "So, what shall we do, Master? Do you want to head for the Arena immediately?"

"There's no rush. First, we'll go see Sensei for another Alteration. Then, the Commissary and we'll see if there's any more Formal Wear that I can use," Shiki was frowning now. "Our opponent this week managed to defeat Rin. We can't afford to take him lightly."

Kara closed her eyes, "It's possible that our opponent simply had a favourable match-up in terms of Servants, Master."

"Yes, but you don't think that's likely either, do you?"

"... No," Kara admitted. "It's possible for something like that to happen - I have memories of such happenings. But it occurs very rarely."

"Yes, so we'll have to assume that this Yuuno person won because he was better than her," Shiki stood. "So, let's get you stronger as well."

"Very well, Master," Kara nodded. "Lead the way."

*~*

“What do you mean, you can’t do anything?” The sound of an angry voice from within the Chapel reached Shiki’s ears as he rested his hand on the handle of the doorway, preparing to push it open. He paused, unsure if he should barge in on what seemed to be a rather private conversation.

“Alterations are mostly meant to change the parameters of the Servant’s capabilities. They’re not meant to deal with things like these. I know it’s bad, but… well, these things can happen in the Grail War.”

There was a silence in the room for a long moment, and then suddenly the door was wrenched open, giving Shiki barely enough time to take a hasty step back. From the doorway, a youth with an angry expression set on his face stormed forward, nearly ramming straight into Shiki.

“S – sorry,” Shiki sputtered.

“Tch,” the man muttered. “Pay more attention next…” he trailed off as he got a good look at Shiki. “You’re Tohno, right. Shiki Tohno?”

Shiki felt his gut tighten reflexively. Could it be…? He settled for a guarded nod.

The boy nodded once, “Right. As you might have guessed, I’m Yuuno Mikawa. Your opponent.”

“I see… I, uh, didn’t really expect you to recognize me on sight.”

Yuuno heaved an impatient sigh, “A boy not descended from any of the prominent Magus or hacker lines, and whom no one has heard about making his way through four rounds of the War? Who wouldn’t know about you?” a frown appeared on Yuuno’s face. “Although I guess I’m one to talk.”

Shiki pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose, “Well… it was nice to meet you, I guess.”

“Hm,” a noncommittal sound from Yuuno as he turned and began to walk away. A couple of steps later, he drew to a halt and turned back to face Shiki. “I’ll be waiting for you in the Arena, Tohno. I want to see what it was that brought you this far.”

And without waiting for a response he left the garden.

*~*

Scorpion

Rani's gaze roamed over the Arena as she stepped forward. As far as she could see, the only other things moving were the Arena guardians. Julius was nowhere in sight. Not that it meant he wasn't present, of course...

"We are fortunate in one aspect," she said to Caster as she continued walking. "The aid provided to Shiki Tohno during the third week gave us valuable information on Julius' Assassin. And at the same time, I do not believe we have left any stray information on you - Julius will have to devote his time in earnest to trying to discover your True Name."

"Indeed," Caster's voice was calm. "Assassin is capable of attacking without revealing himself. Either his skill is Presence Concealment goes beyond anything in our research, or he has a unique skill or Noble Phantasm that allows him to do so. Either way, we shall need to find some way of nullifying that ability."

"He also fights using a fist combat style known as Ba Ji Quan," Rani stepped past a mana fountain, mentally noting the location in case she needed to fall back. "A type of martial art developed in China. An analysis of famous practicioners of the art should help us considerably in narrowing the possible candidates for Assassin. Furthermore, he uses his attacks to disrupt the energy flow of a person. In worst case scenarios, he is able to kill them in a single blow."

"Hm..." she could see a smile on Caster out of the corner of her eye. "I believe it will be interesting to face someone from my own country."

"You come from different times and cultures," Rani said, her voice mild. "I doubt you will find much common ground with him."

"True as well," Caster's voice grew more serious. "And, aside from clues about the Servant's identity, we have some information about the way Julius and Assassin fight."

"We do?" Rani drew to a halt and turned to face him. "Explain, Caster."

"The Master Shiki Tohno described Julius as being present during the attack on him. Our analysis of Julius did not give us much reason to think of him as being particularly sadistic."

"No," Rani nodded once. "If anything, the Scorpion has an unnatural detachment and professionalism towards the concept of killing."

"Yes. Therefore, if he was remained close by when Assassin was ambushing students in the vicinity of the school grounds, we must surmise that he needs to remain close to his Servant.”

“No ranks in Independent Action or any equivalent, then,” Rani said thoughtfully.

“Either that or Julius Harway is inclined to keep his Assassin on a tight leash for whatever reason.”

“And since I cannot sense Julius in the vicinity, that makes it unlikely that Assassin would be nearby either.”

“Not unless Assassin has hidden magical talents that would allow him to conceal Julius’ presence as well.”

“Always a possibility to be considered. Nevertheless, let us assume that you are correct,” Rani glanced at Caster out of corner of her eye. “Tell me, what do you plan to do in that case?”

A smile crossed Caster’s lips as he bowed slightly. “Why, Master, I thought you’d never ask.”

*~*

“And done!” Aoko stood and stretched. “One boosted Servant, as ordered.”

“Thanks, Sensei,” Shiki nodded.

“I think the fourth week was the first time you managed to get through the whole week without some horrible calamity befalling you or Kara,” the magus smiled as she took a drink from her mug. “Try to keep the streak up, huh?”

Shiki chuckled briefly, “Well, I’m supposed to be up against only the best now, aren’t I? I don’t want to get hurt, of course, but I don’t think I’ll be able to make any guarantees.”

Aoko let out a long breath. “Yeah, they’re the cream of the crop. That’s true. But you’ve grown stronger too. Every time I see you,” she paused for a moment. “You looked different, today, Shiki.”

Shiki blinked. "I – I did?”

“Yeah,” she sighed. “Before, every time you came in for another Alteration, you always looked a bit more… exhausted. Worn down. Not too surprising, I guess, given everything. But today…” she raised an eyebrow. “Your back’s straighter. And there’s that look in your eyes.”

“I, uh don’t really understand, but thanks, Sensei,” Shiki said as he rubbed the back of his head.

She laughed once, “Never mind then. Just keep going ahead. For whatever goal it is you’re seeking.”

Shiki nodded as Kara bowed in thanks, “I will, Sensei. Thanks.”

*~*

Setting Sun

Leonard stood at the window, staring out at the evening sun. The sky had just begun turning from brilliant blue to the pink and oranges that marked the beginning of the end of the day.

He heaved a brief sigh just before a knock on the door sounded.

“Enter.”

The door slid open, allowing Julius access to the room, clutching another dossier to his chest.

“Leonard,” Julius said without waiting for a greeting. “I’ve compiled reports on Yuuno Mikawa and Shiki Tohno like you asked.”

A smile briefly quirked Leo’s face as he reached out for the file. “We’ve quite the odd mix for the final eight, don’t we, Julius?”

“… My only concern is eradicating those who would prove a threat.”

“Of course,” Leo opened the file, quickly glancing through it. “And I have to retract my previous statements concerning Tohno. Anyone who has a relationship with a True Ancestor is definitely someone to watch out for.”

“To be honest, I’ve given up attempting to figure out more about him. Everything about his past appears to contradict his current appearance in the Grail War,” Julius shook his head. “As previously discussed, his Servant is not a powerful one. When it comes down to it, crushing her in a direct contest is well within our capabilities.”

“That’s your assessment, is it?” Leo closed the file and placed it on the desk beside it. “And how go preparations for your current opponent? Rani, is it not?”

“You need not worry about me, Leonard.”

“Glad to hear that!” he smiled. “In that case, I believe that will be all.”

The smile lasted as long as it took for Julius to leave the room. And then Leo heaved a sigh before settling back in his chair.

Rin Tohsaka… I had looked forward to facing you. Strength did not decide whose ideals were correct, of course, but when the issue was the strength and power to reshape the world, such strength applied just as easily to the battlefield. Did your conviction waver? Or did you simply lack the strength to seize the future with your own hands?

Well, it was all academic now. And it was not like he didn’t have his own problems to deal with.

The door to the room slid open, and this time it was King Arthur who entered. As she caught sight of Leo, she nodded once, curtly, before moving to the side and settling down on one of the chairs.

Leo folded his arms as he looked at his Servant.

I don’t intend to compromise on my ideals. Nevertheless, he would have to find a diplomatic solution to the problem presented him – and fast.

After all, a Master who does not have the trust of his Servant is doomed. No more, no less.

“King Arthur,” he said softly, and she raised her head to look at him – not a glare, but it was with eyes of cold steel. “I believe we need to talk.”

*~*

Moon Cell, Digital Tsukumihara Academy, Undisclosed Location

Crackling arcs of lightning danced through the air as Arcueid tore her way through another of the Moon Cell’s security barriers, continuing her progress ever deeper into the heart of the artificial world.

She hadn’t exactly been lying to Shiki when she’d told him that she wanted to explore the place. But of course Shiki had assumed that she’d said that out of idle curiosity and she hadn’t exactly done anything to dissuade him from the notion.

She supposed Shiki was right – she was selfish in her own way. She didn’t want Shiki involved in this, because if he knew about what she was doing, he’d definitely expend time and energy to help her – energy that he should have spent on fighting the Grail War instead.

And so, if she couldn’t do anything to help him directly at this most crucial of junctions, the least she could do was not make trouble for him. It wasn’t like she was wandering aimlessly. After all, she could feel the pull in her soul, even now.

A frown crossed her features as she stepped onto another platform in the middle of the dark void. Something pulsed within her, and she bared her teeth at the seeming emptiness.

“I know you’re there!” she snapped. “Come on out!”

There was no direct response, but after a moment, Arcueid felt the presence begin to fade.

“So we’re going to continue this game of cat and mouse, are we?” It’s always letting me get close before it pulls away again. Is it luring me somewhere?

A frown on her face, Arcueid charged forward into the void once again.

I’ll make you pay. For what you did to me, I swear I’ll make you pay.

*~*

“… Lancer.”

“Yes, I feel it. The boy and his Servant have just entered the Arena.”

“Hmph,” Yuuno opened his eyes. “He’s late.”

Lancer made no reply save for shifting his position slightly.

“… Hey. You sure you’re up to this?”

“Time won’t heal this wound. Better I test this Servant now and see how I fare as I am. Then we have more time to make the necessary preparations.”

Yuuno’s stormy expression didn’t change. “Tch. Damn Tohsaka. She won’t stop hounding me even from the grave.”

“Grudges are wasted on the dead. Come, Master. We should go.”

Yuuno nodded once, and the two of them strode forward, prepared to challenge Shiki and his Servant.

*~*

Chapter End

*~*

Thanks for reading please review.

So Gae Bolg's curse lingers; interesting.

Blog Entries
    . . . Arcueid's going to crash the system, isn't she? Or do a heck of a lot of damage - and why do I get the feeling that Altrouge is running the Moon Cell?

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Known information on Rani's Servant:
    1. Caster
    2. Male
    3. Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    . . . Arcueid's going to crash the system, isn't she? Or do a heck of a lot of damage - and why do I get the feeling that Altrouge is running the Moon Cell?
    Her, or the Servant: Monster...
    92 minuti di applausi!!!

Perchè immaginiamo?, ci chiedono.
    E perchè no?, è la risposta più adatta.
    Almeno, questo è ciò che credo io.

Spoiler:

CASTER FAN, and PROUD of it!!!!

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Melty Blood certainly paints that rivalry as quite the impressive one, even though that's technically Archetype Earth and not exactly Arc per se.

Anywho. Interesting details lingering about in this one, along with some appropriate choices of muzak. Nice touch all in all.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    *inarticulate with rage*
    Raftel: *rolls eyes* Ah, don't mind him. PayPal's currently being retarded with a capital F.
    Summary: *indecipherable scribbles*
    Raftel: Ah, ya pansy.
    Coherent summary: in which Shiki meets his opponent, Rani and Caster play the deduction game, brothers talk about identities, Arc goes exploring without a map, and Yuuno is irritated.
    Miscellany~
    Anyone who mentions THAT Majora's Mask meme gets to meet the Ladder. <- Is serious
    Reality Marble: Ascended Memorized Phantasm - Perfect Manikin Army
    I have been uncursed! My groin still hurts.
    I have a folder full of stolen avatars and sig pics. Short of mind-probing, no one's going to find it.
    I look away for a sec, and I'm suddenly attending a college called MGS.

A living portrait, a forgotten portrait... and Yoshi.

Staring into space one piece of infinity's Avatar
    If the enemy lancer got Gae Bolged I'm surprised he's still alive...
    Anyway really nice chapter pure, I was wondering what Arcueid would do, I didn't really expect her to just sit back and watch Shiki fight.
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by nununu View Post
    Australia sure has some mighty mojo, no?

What Fate/Stay Night character are you?

Emiya Shirou

Mafia Game if interested

Quote Originally Posted by nununu View Post
    So Gae Bolg's curse lingers; interesting.
    You don't walk away with a battle from Cu Chulainn unscathed!

... Unless you have plot on your side.

Oh, she'll probably stop short of outright disabling the system - Shiki's currently depending on it, after all. But she doesn't much care who has to pick up the pieces after she's done going through the place.

Quote Originally Posted by NanayaMode View Post
    Known information on Rani's Servant:
    1. Caster
    2. Male
    3. Chinese
    4. Did not live in the same time period as Julius' Assassin.

Quote Originally Posted by MWkillkenny84 View Post
    Her, or the Servant: Monster...
    Oh, Monster doesn't care about that sort of thing. She just has a quota to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    Melty Blood certainly paints that rivalry as quite the impressive one, even though that's technically Archetype Earth and not exactly Arc per se.

Anywho. Interesting details lingering about in this one, along with some appropriate choices of muzak. Nice touch all in all.
    Well, AE just got pissed that Ryougi killed her boytoy. (Or a Tatari copy of her boytoy, same diff.)

Glad you liked the music too.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniKaiRoe View Post
    *inarticulate with rage*
    Raftel: *rolls eyes* Ah, don't mind him. PayPal's currently being retarded with a capital F.
    Summary: *indecipherable scribbles*
    Raftel: Ah, ya pansy.
    Coherent summary: in which Shiki meets his opponent, Rani and Caster play the deduction game, brothers talk about identities, Arc goes exploring without a map, and Yuuno is irritated.
    Arcueid doesn't need a map! She has instinct.

(She's hopelessly lost but doesn't actually realize it yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by one piece of infinity View Post
    If the enemy lancer got Gae Bolged I'm surprised he's still alive...
    Anyway really nice chapter pure, I was wondering what Arcueid would do, I didn't really expect her to just sit back and watch Shiki fight.
    Oh, don't worry, I'll be covering Lancer One-Hit Kill That Never Kills Anything soon enough.

And yes, Arcueid isn't the type to just sit back and do nothing, even if there weren't anything she could directly do.

I'm going for a longshot and say that Rani's Caster is Zhuge Liang.
    Loathing this unclean world
    Seeking rebirth in the Pure Land
    Please offer cherry blossoms to my deceased body
    If someone is willing to mourn my death

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gwonbush View Post

Given these facts, and what is now known of Caster's fighting style - plus the fact that we already know the Moon Cell likes to pull in outside elements - I now suspect that Rani's Caster is Negi Springfield.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Given these facts, and what is now known of Caster's fighting style - plus the fact that we already know the Moon Cell likes to pull in outside elements - I now suspect that Rani's Caster is Negi Springfield.
    And why, pray tell, his harem has not make a DYNAMIC ENTRY into the Moon Cell to rescue their favourite shota?
    92 minuti di applausi!!!

Perchè immaginiamo?, ci chiedono.
    E perchè no?, è la risposta più adatta.
    Almeno, questo è ciò che credo io.

Spoiler:

CASTER FAN, and PROUD of it!!!!

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWkillkenny84 View Post
    And why, pray tell, his harem has not make a DYNAMIC ENTRY into the Moon Cell to rescue their favourite shota?
    Because Only Chiu and Chachamaru can internet dive, and the others don't trust them alone with Negi....

Blog Entries
    Makes sense to me.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Shirou: If you can't beat them, join them *eye rolls* burningclaw2's Avatar
    Who wants to bet that Evangeline is the final boss here if Caster is indeed Negi.
    Words to live by: Fate is a B****, Destiny is a whore, while Karma is just doing her job.

Violence solves all problems. If its not working then you are not using enough.
    Even though I am male after taking a 'Which Fate/stay night Character are you?' quiz I am...

Tohsaka Rin You are Rin. Cool and collected, you think logically about most situations. You strive for self-perfection, and rely on others only for your benefit. You may be cold toward most people, but you can be friendly when you try. Indeed, it could be said you enjoy helping others that you care for. Whatever the case, you tend to think logically and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

Blog Entries
    I never bet against Master.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette