Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 34567101555 ... LastLast

Thread: Melancholy of One (A Grail Works. LTD. Story)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burningclaw2 View Post
    30-40 bucks?
    *sob*

Shirou: If you can't beat them, join them *eye rolls* burningclaw2's Avatar
    Can someone insturct me how to make one of those things where it says spoiler so those who do not wish to see spoilers can ignore it.
    Words to live by: Fate is a B****, Destiny is a whore, while Karma is just doing her job.

Violence solves all problems. If its not working then you are not using enough.
    Even though I am male after taking a 'Which Fate/stay night Character are you?' quiz I am...

Tohsaka Rin You are Rin. Cool and collected, you think logically about most situations. You strive for self-perfection, and rely on others only for your benefit. You may be cold toward most people, but you can be friendly when you try. Indeed, it could be said you enjoy helping others that you care for. Whatever the case, you tend to think logically and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    [ spoiler]your text here[/ spoiler]

Remove the spaces before the two spoilers.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

Blog Entries
    ^ What Velsper said.

Thanks

Spoiler:
    Rin is a b**** in Fate/extra during the prep period before you fight her
    Words to live by: Fate is a B****, Destiny is a whore, while Karma is just doing her job.

Even though I am male after taking a 'Which Fate/stay night Character are you?' quiz I am...

Tohsaka Rin You are Rin. Cool and collected, you think logically about most situations. You strive for self-perfection, and rely on others only for your benefit. You may be cold toward most people, but you can be friendly when you try. Indeed, it could be said you enjoy helping others that you care for. Whatever the case, you tend to think logically and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Hey now, no more useless clutter regarding pointless EXTRA spoilers unless those pointless EXTRA spoilers somehow become relevant to the thread.

Of course, we have a table of contents, so in the end it doesn't really matter. ^^;;;;
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Chances are Shiki is gonna end up fighting the person that spoiler is about in this fic -.-

Chapter One: Extra/Ordinary

*~*

Well, here’s the first real chapter. I hope all of you reading this enjoy it.

Also the more I think about it the more I realize that I really suck at naming stories.

Disclaimer: I own nothing.

*~*

Tsukumihara Academy Entrance Gates

He trundled aimlessly towards the school gates, wincing as the rising sun peeked just high enough above the trees to get in his eyes. Up ahead he could see the students milling about, forming into a rough queue for the black-shirted students barring the way at the school gates.

Of course, a gate inspection. Heaving a sigh, Shiki Tohno quickened his pace, seeking to get ahead of the few other stragglers and secure a slightly higher place in line.

As he waited somewhat impatiently for the Student Council members to check their uniforms and their bags, Shiki took a moment to let his gaze wander to the school building behind him.

Tsukumihara Academy. In all aspects a perfectly ordinary school, one of dozens, probably hundreds, all over the country. The students around him talked, laughed, argued, a rising and falling buzz of voices that blurred together in an indistinct roar.

An ordinary day. An ordinary morning.

Except for the gate inspection, of course. His turn now, Shiki stepped up, spreading his arms wider so the student council member – Issei Ryudou – could get a good look at his uniform.

It was funny how the Student Council members decided to distinguish themselves by wearing black, Shiki mused. The standard school jackets were a dark navy blue, so it would be really difficult to tell the difference from a dist-

He blinked. Wait, no, that was… wrong. He glanced down at his uniform. A light shade of brown.

As always.

“You’re clear,” Issei smiled at him in a friendly manner – of course, after all they were old friends – and waved him on, his attention already turning to the next student.

Pausing only to glance at the newly arriving students, Shiki Tohno headed towards the school building.

*~*

An ordinary class. An ordinary teacher.

Taiga Fuijimura, ‘Tiger’ to her students, stood in front of the class, lecturing them on some history person. Twice H. Pieceman, a famous philanthropist who…

His train of thought broke off suddenly. That was odd. He couldn’t remember any actual details about that person. But the name had sounded so familiar.

With an irritated sigh, Shiki lay his hand on his chin and turned his head to look out the window-

Which was an entire three rows away.

Shiki blinked. That… wasn’t right. He’d always sat by the window…

Hadn’t he?

A brief moment of disorientation washed over him and he glanced around the classroom, his head feeling light.

Shaking his head, he dismissed the thought as much as he could and returned to the lecture.

There would be time enough to figure out what was going on after class.

Wouldn’t there?

*~*

Class had ended. The usual bustle of students breaking off into their own cliques for their extracurricular activities or to walk home together or simply to hang out and chat was all so much background noise to Shiki.

As usual, he sat at his desk, head bowed, wondering about what had happened today.

Tiny inconsistencies… so small they could easily be written off as quirks of the imagination.

Maybe he was just tired maybe he just needed a rest.

Nodding to himself, he pulled himself to his feet. Best he head home for now. A good night’s rest would probably clear everything right up…

*~*

The next day…

He trundled aimlessly towards the school gates, wincing as the rising sun peeked just high enough above the trees to get in his eyes. Up ahead he could see the students milling about, forming into a rough queue for the black-shirted students barring the way at the school gates.

Of course, a gate inspection. Heaving a sigh, Shiki Tohno quickened his pace, seeking to get ahead of the few other stragglers and secure a slightly higher place in line.

As he waited somewhat impatiently for the Student Council members to check their uniforms and their bags, Shiki took a moment to let his gaze wander to the school building behind him.

Tsukumihara Academy. In all aspects a perfectly ordinary school, one of dozens, probably hundreds, all over the country. The students around him talked, laughed, argued, a rising and falling buzz of voices that blurred together in an indistinct roar.

An ordinary day. An ordinary morning.

Except for the gate inspection, of course. His turn now, Shiki stepped up, spreading his arms wider so the student council member – Issei Ryudou – could get a good look at his uniform.

It was funny how the Student Council members decided to distinguish themselves by wearing black, Shiki mused. The standard school jackets were a dark navy blue, so it would be really difficult to tell the difference from a dist-

Wait… hadn’t this been done before?

Shiki frowned, focused, really focused. They’d… done this yesterday, hadn’t they?

“You’re clear,” Issei smiled at him in a friendly manner – of course, they were... – he blinked and shook his head.

“Didn’t we just have an inspection yesterday?” he questioned Issei.

“C’mon, Shiki, you passed. Get going or you’ll hold up the line. Or worse yet, be late for school!” Issei’s smile never faltered.

A tight, clawing feeling in his chest, Shiki slowly plodded towards his classroom.

*~*

He’d gotten here early this morning – in time, at any rate, to see Shinji Matou holding audience with a trio of girls who appeared to be hanging onto his every word.

With a sigh, he settled himself on his desk, away from Shinji. It wasn’t (only) that the racket he was making, he just didn’t think of Shinji Matou as a particularly agreeable person. After all, there was that time he had…

Had…

Um, done something that Shiki… hadn’t…

What the hell was wrong with him? Why had his memory been swiss cheese the past couple of days?

Stuff didn’t fit together, didn’t make sense.

Angrily, he glanced around the classroom, at all the others students who were slowly strolling to their desks. Something was wrong, and no one else appeared to realize it.

Well, maybe the something was him. That was always a possibility.

“Morning, class!” Ms. Fujimura stepped through the doorway, smiling as usual. “Who’s ready for a history lecture?”

*~*

“Now, the famous philanthropist, Twice H. Pieceman, first came into prominence when-“

His head was on fire. A pounding, roaring sensation drummed into his skull, and he hunched over his desk, gasping for breath.

Everything.

Wrong.

They’d been through this lecture yesterday. He was sure of that. He knew was Ms. Fukimura would say before she said it.

So why did everyone else merely continue to studiously take notes? Shouldn’t their notebooks be full of the same information already.

Another deep, shuddering breath. He couldn’t stay here, he had to… lie down somewhere… nurse’s office…

He stood, hastily excused himself – Ms. Fujimura didn’t appear to even notice – and stumbled into the corridor, heading for the nurse’s…

Where was the nurse’s office?

He couldn’t remember. After all, the hallways were unfamiliar to him…

But that was wrong. He’d attended this school for over a year now.

And yet he didn’t recognize a square inch of it.

But… even so… he’d always visited the nurse’s office, didn’t he? Because of his condition. Because of his… of his…

He doubled over, clutching at his head as the pounding in his head increased. His chest decided to join in on the fun, his heart hammering so loudly he swore it was about to burst out of his chest.

“Ah… gh…” he grunted out as he stumbled two steps forward, hands fumbling for the rails lining the window.

“Incredible,” came a voice from beside him. Shakily, he lifted his head, staring into the eyes of a girl clad in red.

Deliberately, she flipped a tress of her black hair over her shoulder.

“Your real memory’s already asserted itself so strongly, and yet you still can’t see the truth of this world?” she folded her arms, an amused expression on her face. “To be honest, I’m not sure whether that makes you extra-talented or extra-stupid.”

The truth of this world? Shiki could barely focus. This girl… in front him… looked so familiar. He knew her from somewhere…

Another spasm wracked his body and he fell to his knees, earning a start of surprise from the girl.

“Ah, hey! Hey!” Rin yelled in alarm. “Don’t go fainting on me now!”

Yeah, that’s right… Shiki managed wearily as darkness rushed up to claim him.

I remember her name…

Rin Tohsaka.

But… from where?

*~*

Shiki blinked as consciousness returned to him.

He was on a hospital bed, one that was ordinary in every way.

At least, it appeared to be so.

Drawing in a deep breath, he sat up.

“Ah, you’re awake,” a soft gentle voice from his side, and he looked up to see a girl in a nurse’s uniform standing at his side. Her long purple hair shifted gently as she nodded in relief.

“I fainted…” he mumbled thickly.

“Yes, it was probably stress from overwork,” the girl continued.

Overwork? Not my anaemia…?

He had anaemia?

Yes, he had. For nearly a decade now.

“Thanks for taking care of me, Sakura,” he nodded in thanks as he got off from the bed. “But I think I’ll be fine on my own now.”

“Yes – ah!” Sakura blinked in surprise as she realized that Shiki had called her by name. “I – have we met before? I’m sorry, I don’t remember such an encounter…”

“Yeah, don’t worry about it,” Shiki replied, his hand already on the knob of the door. “Memory can be a really tricky thing, sometimes.”

And then he was gone.

*~*

The next day…

Of course, a gate inspection.

Like yesterday.

And the day before.

Shaking his head, Shiki strode past the black clad students, all of whom ignored him.

He couldn’t remember a thing of what happened since he’d left the school gates yesterday – presumably he’d be sent into whatever the virtual world equivalent of a sleep mode was. And now here he was again.

All right, Shiki, he thought to himself. Let’s do this the calm, logical way.

He had his memories – his real memories – back. He now knew that this world was a false one, a virtual reality called the Moon Cell, created an maintained by a database called SE.RA.PH.

He had been briefed on this.

The question now remained, then.

What was he supposed to do?

He briefly recalled the idea of there being a preliminary round. Was this it? Was regaining your memories the only real factor in whether or not you made it?

No, probably not. Which meant that he was left without any real idea of what to do.

Maybe if he searched the school-

“Ah, you’ve awoken, I see,” came a familiar voice, and Shiki whirled to face the approaching girl.

“Rin!”

Rin blinked in surprise. “You know my name?” she hesitated. “Well, I have to admit my recent dealings haven’t been as quiet as I’d have liked… but for even random no names like you to pick up on my real identity?”

All right, then. Not the Rin I know. Shiki pursed his lips. But Rin nonetheless.

“In any case, you needn’t rush,” Rin chuckled. “The gateway won’t even open until tomorrow.”

The gateway. Well, that would be the preliminary judging round, if Shiki had to guess.

“Well, I guess we’ve really nothing more to say to each other. Congratulations on waking up earlier than most of the others, though,” Rin turned away and took two steps before looking over her shoulder. “Be careful. From here on out, we’re enemies, so don’t expect any more advice from me.”

Shiki watched her go, then turned to regard the school building rising up over him.

*~*

“You there,” the voice was deep and stern, and Shiki tensed instinctively.

He hadn’t seen any purpose in attending a lecture that would most likely be identical to the lecture he’d already attended yesterday, and so he was now in the cafeteria at the school’s basement level, having an early lunch.

That, and planning out how he was going to properly scout out the school once he was done.

I don’t know how much of this virtual environment will be used for the Grail War itself, but it’ll never hurt to know the terrain. He sighed. Not to mention that the ‘gateway’ might be hidden, whatever it is.

But the voice had broken that particular train of thought, and Shiki turned to regard a tall male in a priest’s cassock, with a piercing gaze.

Shiki disliked him on sight.

“Your presence here is irregular,” the man said in a monotone voice.

“What of it?” Shiki replied, as his hand strayed for his pocket- only for him to remember that his knife had not translated into his virtual avatar.

“As of right now, nothing,” the man shook his head once. “I… we, are merely surprised that one would travel so very far to participate in this war.”

Shiki’s eyes narrowed as he stared at the man.

A long, tense silence ensued between the two of them until he broke it off with a shake of his head.

“It is ultimately of no consequence to me or SE.RA.PH if outsiders wish to participate. Just understand that within the boundaries of the Moon Cell, you will be held accountable to all the rules of the tournament.”

“I’m perfectly aware,” Shiki said tightly. “You don’t need to tell me twice.”

“Then, best of luck to you, young one,” the man took a small, mocking bow. “I look forward to seeing your performance in the war to come.”

And with that, the man vanished as if he had never been there at all.

*~*

The next day…

According to this world’s Rin, the ‘gateway’ is supposed to appear today, Shiki stood staring at the building in front of him.

He’d already done a thorough search of the school building yesterday and had turned up nothing.

He’d have to try harder today.

Arcueid, wherever you are right now… he swallowed, nodded, and entered the building once more.

I’ll rescue you. I promise.

*~*

Chapter End

*~*

Did I rush it? I felt like I rushed it.

Regardless, commentary and criticisms are much appreciated.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ooooh, update good.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Delcer's Avatar
    I'm enjoying the fic thus far; Shiki's struggle with regaining his memory was certainly written convincingly. If this chapter was rushed I definitely didn't notice it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burningclaw2 View Post
    Thanks

Spoiler:
    Rin is a b**** in Fate/extra during the prep period before you fight her
    Spoiler:
    Well, you are in a battle to the death, so I think that's somewhat understandable....

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pureauthor View Post
    Well, here’s the first real chapter. I hope all of you reading this enjoy it.
    Yup.

Also the more I think about it the more I realize that I really suck at naming stories.
    Titles are hard, so if it's true, you're not alone.

Did I rush it? I felt like I rushed it.
    Not that I noticed.

Poor Shiki, though - if he'd arrived normally, Ilya would've shielded him from the amnesia effect automatically, and he'd have been "awake" on the first day. Ah, well - the consequences of sneaking off.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Yeah but then he would be bored for like four days.

Also I have noticed no rushing.

He left without permission and without help.

Choose your Guild,
    Join the DARK SIDE!!!

I'm sorry to say I've found I can't RP. I just can't trust myself to stick around long enough.

Not that rushing

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Update speed = quick.
    Rushed it = I don't think so.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Wait,
    I apologize.
    For some reason I thought we were commenting on Shiki.
    The update was perfectly fine.

Choose your Guild,
    Join the DARK SIDE!!!

I'm sorry to say I've found I can't RP. I just can't trust myself to stick around long enough.

kay *snipes Kotomine*

What I wanted to say is that Ciel is even worse than Sakura in the fanfiction, and us her fans doesn't complain. Also, using her as an example, it would be nice if Ciel was acknowledged to exist, even more because she is the third, maybe the fourth best combatant character Grail Works has at that moment (the first and second being Saber and Rider, and the third, if it isn't Ciel, being Kurai, as Arc is in troubles right now and neither Shirou nor Shiki are as good as her).
    I'd just like to point out that as of the time of writing, Ciel isn't really a member of Grail Works Ltd. That might change soon enough, though...

Color me interested, especially since I just got my new copy of Fate/EXTRA today.
    It's pretty good... if a little luck-based.

Titles are hard, so if it's true, you're not alone.

Not that I noticed.

Poor Shiki, though - if he'd arrived normally, Ilya would've shielded him from the amnesia effect automatically, and he'd have been "awake" on the first day. Ah, well - the consequences of sneaking off.
    Haha, thanks for the support.

Yes, I figured Ilya might be able to whip something up - part of why I tied in the plot point of Shiki leaving without proper authorization; the core of F/E's prologue is that you're supposed to start clueless.

He left without permission and without help.
    Without help?

... Hm. Interesting conclusion to draw.

Also, thanks for everyone's encouragement about the latest chapter. I still sorta kinda wanted to flesh it out a little more, but I'm glad everyone enjoyed it.

I think you fleshed it out more then Fate/Extra's opening did. Also does Shiki still have access to Mystic Eye's of Deaths Perception and will he be able to get a knife?