Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 256789121757 ... LastLast

Thread: Melancholy of One (A Grail Works. LTD. Story)

Powered by infinite rage Comartemis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pureauthor View Post
    Um.

The only advice I can give you here is to reread the prologue. Very carefully.
    Calling it now.

Spoiler:
    It's Satsuki. Shiki's canon love interest in this setting according to the origin post, yet she hasn't appeared at all in Beast of the Moon. Hmm....

^Interesting theory.

Quote Originally Posted by burningclaw2 View Post
    Inexplicable sword rain on enemy Saber?
    Followed by the use of the sister sword of said Saber, but without the nerf that Extra seems to deal to Servant's NPs?

SE.RA.PH's days are counted, then *laughts*

Don't worry, Shiki will be taking those glasses off when he feels the situation calls for it. Thus far though...
    Now I'm expecting for you to use Ryougi in this fic. If anything a fight between MEoDP users would be nice. Not-Really-Nero is going to be surprised one day and another in this story *chuckles*

Quote Originally Posted by Larekko12 View Post
    I call it an act of stupid cause comparatively I believe he has grounds to argue he can be the best for the job not by experience but by the fact that, as far as I know, while Illya can preserve there natures she can't impose them on other worlds.

So while Shirou has war experience and improved general combat ability he doesn't have an all purpose severing tool that would work on moon cell's tech unless sufficiently advanced tech counts for rule breaker. I beleive he could argue on the basis of using his eyes he could purge cut the connections binding Arc to the system be they magical or technological. MEoDP is not a mystical solve everything tool but it is a very good an discriminate hammer that does what it does very well on damn near anything.

Though i may be underestimating Illya's ability to simply pull Arc out of the game upon finding her which would completely undermine that portion of my beliefs. Still there was the option jumping the gun and setting off oversight as you do so purposefully so you don't get lost. Illya actually sleep right? Set an alarm for as you plan to go through for trace may work.

Does the analogy of it feels like 'A shirou going in HF aware of HF knowing RB and its use in freeing Sakura but doing so in such that it might damage his ability to make RB in the first place' work?.

Taking off his glasses at this moment is unwise I agree. Letting the sentient computer program get some live analysis of that ability before you are ready to nuke it or bounce is unwise.
    About Shirou... take into account that UBW exist in SE.RA.PH, after all, and in Extra people seems to break the rules of SE.RA.PH on daily basis (I'm on the 5th day of the third round, and at the moment, the only one 'till the moment who didn't break said rules is Dan Blackblood) so I can actually see him pulling it if needed. The question is what Servant would he have summoned. EMIYA? Tamamo? Arturia? TOHSAKA (for the hell of it, after all, as far as I know he still has the pendand)?. But this is a question for another story.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

Shirou: If you can't beat them, join them *eye rolls* burningclaw2's Avatar
    ...*died from laughter*

[Shirou and EMIYA start a hate much that lasts for the entire Grail War]
    Words to live by: Fate is a B****, Destiny is a whore, while Karma is just doing her job.

Violence solves all problems. If its not working then you are not using enough.
    Even though I am male after taking a 'Which Fate/stay night Character are you?' quiz I am...

Tohsaka Rin You are Rin. Cool and collected, you think logically about most situations. You strive for self-perfection, and rely on others only for your benefit. You may be cold toward most people, but you can be friendly when you try. Indeed, it could be said you enjoy helping others that you care for. Whatever the case, you tend to think logically and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Delcer's Avatar
    So DAA!Sion apparently has control over the Moon Cell in Actress Again; though since I've not played Extra I can't say whether it is the same one as in MBAA.

EDIT: By the way Pure, do I have to know anything more than just the premise of all the FSM and Tsuki characters having a cross-dimensional job agency to understand future chapters? I have not read anything about Kieran's Grail Works story. I recall past attempts at reading his work ending up with me being very confused.
    Last edited by Delcer; November 10th, 2011 at 07:14 PM.

...*died from laughter*

[Shirou and EMIYA start a hate much that lasts for the entire Grail War]
    Inorite? Although for what I have read, Extra!EMIYA doesn't have the same baggage as FSN!EMIYA, so who knows (I still want to see those two kicking asses while bickering at each other for 7 weeks)

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningphoenix View Post
    Rin: "I wanted Saber..."
    Archer: "What? But Archers are all insanely OP, it's like a rule or something, why would you think Sabers were better?"
    Rin: "Sabers are more molestable..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    AC!Rin. Fixing problems one moan at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage of Eyes View Post
    Denizens of another dimension, meet Rin Tohsaka, Tsundere of Mass Destruction
    Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I dont even know what Lunatique is. I assume it's terrible for the sake of argument.

Yeah be funny if Shirou summoned both fsn!EMIYA, and extra!EMIYA at the same time then we get epic bickering and kickass in triplicate ^^
    Words to live by: Fate is a B****, Destiny is a whore, while Karma is just doing her job.

Even though I am male after taking a 'Which Fate/stay night Character are you?' quiz I am...

Tohsaka Rin You are Rin. Cool and collected, you think logically about most situations. You strive for self-perfection, and rely on others only for your benefit. You may be cold toward most people, but you can be friendly when you try. Indeed, it could be said you enjoy helping others that you care for. Whatever the case, you tend to think logically and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

Chapter Three: Prepa/Re/Solved

*~*

I honestly can’t tell if me actually updating so often is the result of me wanting to churn these out before my ideas exhaust themselves, or because I’m subconsciously seeking an escape from the fact that I have a mountain of work to do.

Anyway, I hope all you readers continue to enjoy this story.

Disclaimer: I own nothing.

*~*

Moon Cell, Digital Tsukumihara Academy, Nurse’s Office

Shiki blinked and sat up in the bed her was lying on.

The… nurse’s office?

What was he doing here? The last thing he remembered was being in that… chamber where the voice had apparently accepted him as a participant in the Grail War, and…

And they had apparently sent him back here.

“I wish whoever it was that runs the thing would stop doing that,” he mumbled as he sat up, swinging his legs over the side of the table. He could see Sakura sitting at a desk at the far end of the office, apparently filling out some forms.

And on that note, where was his Servant?

He glanced down – and blinked in surprise. Instead of the brown shirt and pants that was the standard of Tsukumihara Academy’s students, he was now clad in his own school uniform, the navy blue that he was so much more familiar with.

“Well, if nothing else,” he mumbled to himself as he stood from the bed. “At least I’m not stuck in that eyesore of a uniform anymore.”

And in a tiny pocket dimension in the far corner of the multiverse, Shirou frowned in annoyance as Ilya placed one hand over her mouth to hide a giggle.

“It’s not like you have the best fashion sense either, Tohno,” Shirou muttered. “I’ve seen that hideous blue and orange t-shirt of yours.”

“He can’t hear you, you know,” Ilya commented offhandedly as she continued to watch Shiki on the screen. “Getting communications working again is taking a lot longer than I’d have thought.”

“Hm? What’s the problem?”

“Simply put, that he didn’t enter prepared,” Ilya sighed. “If I’d been overseeing him when he went in, I’d be able to root him properly back here, and as long as the connection was secure, we wouldn’t have to worry about any changes that might need to be made. But entering the way he did caused SE.RA.PH to regard him as a being entirely under its domain, and now any and all attempts I make to contact Shiki is seen as outside interference by the system. And they are very, very good at shutting down outside interference.”

Shirou sighed and slumped back in his chair. “And just when I thought things were going our way for once,” he grumbled.

“Oh yes,” Ilya said. “Speaking of things going right…”

A Door carved itself into the eye, shimmering with light as magic spilled through it. A moment later, it opened up, allowing Akiha Tohno to step through, followed closely by a smiling Kohaku.

“Ah, Akiha-san!” Ilya smiled brightly, although Shirou knew her well enough to see that there was a certain tenseness on her face. Hardly surprising, given the circumstances. “I take it your job went well.”

“But of course,” for her part, satisfaction was firmly etched on Akiha’s face. “Both sides merely needed a proper mediator in order to sort of their issues. I was able to arrange an acceptable compromise accepted by the heads of both parties without undue effort.”

“Good,” Ilya nodded. “That’s good.”

“And what are you doing now, Ilyasviel-san?” Akiha took a step closer to peer at the screen as well, and her eyes widened. “N- Nii-san! What’s he doing there?”

Ilya and Shirou shot each other a quick glance that instantly said everything that needed to be said.

Don’t rile Akiha more than absolutely necessary. Words to live by.

“He’s on a mission, of course,” Ilya said smoothly. “Can’t you tell, Akiha-san?”

“Oh, of course,” Akiha sighed. “I had hoped Nii-san would have the good sense to take some time to recover after that last debacle, but… I suppose if you assigned him, it must be a task well-suited for his skills.”

Shirou was certain he could feel the wince that Ilya was suppressing.

“Well, perhaps I should offer him a few words of encouragement,” Akiha leaned over the desk. “Now, how was it that you activated communications, Ilyasviel-san?”

“Ah, no,” Ilya said, a trifle too hastily. “The area is very strictly monitored, so not right now, Akiha-san. Maybe a bit later.”

“Oh…” disappointment was written over Akiha’s face. “I suppose it cannot be helped, then. Well, in that case, I believe I’ll return to my own home for now.”

“Yes, I’ll contact you if anything important happens,” Ilya nodded.

As Akiha left the room, Kohaku stayed behind, a knowing smile on her face.

“You can’t contact him, can you?”

Ilya sighed. “No, not right now. Shiki’s mission is a little, um, irregular. He’s still all right though, don’t worry.”

“Well, Akiha-sama isn’t going to be fooled for long, especially not if she wants to keep up to date on Shiki-san’s situation – and she will.”

“I know, I know,” Ilya sighed. “Cross that bridge when we come to it.”

“Well, in that case, I guess I’ll get started on preparing dinner!” Kohaku clapped her hands together excitedly. “I haven’t had the chance to do that for a few days, and I’m not going to lose out to Shirou-san or Sakura-san!”

Shirou smiled briefly at that, but as the maid left the room after her mistress, it changed back to an irritated frown as he looked at Shiki – who was now conversing with his red-clad Servant. Strangely, the whole image now appeared strangely blurred.

“Can you get a better look at the Servant?” he asked Ilya.

“Sorry, no. SE.RA.PH. set up some kind of distortion field to help with hiding Servant’s identities during long-distance observation. To be honest, dealing with SE.RA.PH. is proving to be a bigger pain than I’d ever anticipated.”

“Well, if we’re going to figure out some way to help them, we should do it soon.”

“I know, Onii-chan,” Ilya slumped, resting her chin on her hands as she leaned forward. “I know.”

*~*

As he stepped down from the bed, there was a brief flash of light, and he found Saber standing beside him.

“Ah, you have awoken, Praetor!”

Praetor? The question flitted through Shiki’s head, but he let it slide.

“Oh, there you are,” he smiled up at her. “I was wondering where you’d gone off to while I was unconscious.”

“As if I would ever abandon the one to command me!” Saber folded her arms and huffed. “I merely dematerialized in the interim period!”

“Dematerialized?” That’s right – Rider is able to enter an incorporeal form at will. I guess Servants in the Moon Cell can do that too. “I see. That’s a useful ability.”

“Isn’t it, now?” Saber smiled and nodded. “It makes it far easier for me to move about with you throughout the school, and it helps keep the Servants’ identities secret from each other. Basic needs for the Holy Grail War!”

Shiki took in a deep breath. That’s right. The Holy Grail War.

Arcueid’s somewhere in here. If I want to find her, I should-

“Ah, Praetor,” Saber suddenly spoke up again. “While you were convalescing, Father Kotomine stopped by and informed me that he wished to speak to you at the first available opportunity. He also said he would be waiting in the lobby of the first floor.”

“…” Shiki paused and pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. “I see. Well, in that case, let’s see what he has to tell us.”

*~*

“Ah, I see that you on your feet again, young Master,” Father Kotomine nodded once. “On to business, then. As a mediator acting on behalf of SE.RA.PH for the Holy Grail War, it is my duty to provide every participant with a basic set of information that they will need in order to compete effectively.”

“I see,” Shiki said in a low voice. “I’m listening.”

“Firstly, every participant is provided a private room for the duration of the Holy Grail War, to rest, plan, and train in private away from the inquisitive eyes of other Masters. Your room is to be 3-A on the third floor. Here is the passcode needed to access it, as well as a portable terminal to store that and any other data you need on.”

Wordlessly, Shiki accepted the terminal, turning it over in his hand once to observe it.

“Now, on to the heart of the matter – the elimination matches. The War will last for a period of seven weeks, with an elimination match being held every seven days. First, and perhaps most importantly, your opponent for the week will be updated on the first day of each new week on the bulletin board located in the second story lobby. I advise you to check them at first opportunity. In the Holy Grail War, more information can only be a boon.

“Now, as to the format for the elimination match – in the interim six-day period between matches, Trigger Keys will be generated within a digitally realized maze known as the Arena, and you are expected to collect two of them in order to qualify for the elimination match itself,” a thin smile formed on the man’s lips. “If you cannot pass even that hurdle, then you will be disqualified, and therefore killed.

“The elimination match is rather standard. Two Masters and their Servants against each other. One will prevail, and one will fall, and this will continue for seven weeks – until only one remains to claim the Holy Grail. Do you understand all this, young Master?”

Shiki merely nodded in reply.

“It goes without saying that during the six-day interim period, it would also be useful for you to train alongside your Servant, or perhaps attempt to discover more information about your enemy’s Servant, and what weaknesses they have to exploit.

“Also, the Moon Cell has determined to provide all the Masters with facilities for improving their personal chances of success,” there was a beeping sound from Shiki’s terminal, and he could see an image of a map being downloaded into the system. “The Commissary provides several items you may or may not find helpful depending on circumstances. The Chapel should prove extremely useful should you wish to improve your Servant’s capabilities. Of course, it goes without saying that all the other Masters will have access to these facilities too. How you use them may be the key to victory,” Kotomine paused. “Yes, I believe that will be sufficient for an initial briefing. Do you have any questions, young Master?”

“…”

“If not, I shall take my leave,” another shallow bow, and Kotomine turned away.

“Wait!”

The elder man paused. “Yes?”

“If I wanted to ask something directly of SE.RA.PH, who should I look for?”

He could feel a brief pulse of shock coming from Saber, but he quickly pushed it aside for now.

Kotomine remained still for a very long moment. “For now, that would be me,” he finally said as he turned to face Shiki once more. “What is your query, young Master?”

“I believe that there is an illegitimate Servant in this War,” Shiki said quickly. “A True Ancestor named Arcueid Brunestud. She’s not data generated by the Moon Cell, but an actual physical being.”

Kotomine’s face was grave. “Is that so?” a pause. “But the Masters and Servants that had entered the War have already been reviewed by SE.RA.PH. No significant anomalies were detected.”

“What? But that’s…” Shiki looked at the ground, a confused frown on his face.

“Further, SE.RA.PH does not explicitly prohibit such a course of action. If someone were truly able to smuggle in a powerful Servant that they wished to use, I would do nothing to them, except perhaps offer some slight praise for their ingenuity,” a mocking smile on Kotomine’s face. “Is that all you had to ask then? If so, farewell.”

As he watched the robed man disappear down the hallway, Shiki heaved a sigh.

Well, I never expected it to be that easy anyway, scratching his head, Shiki looked down at the terminal in his hand. Not that I’m not a little disappointed.

“Praetor?” Saber appeared at his side again, a curious expression on her face. “If I may ask, what was that all about?”

“Well, let’s go see what does private room provided to us is like before we discuss such matters,” Shiki said as he turned towards the stairway. “I don’t think the hallway is the safest place to discuss such things.”

“Ah yes, I suppose not,” with a nod, Saber disappeared into light again, although by now Shiki was starting to be able to tell that her presence remained beside him. And with that, he turned and began heading up the stairs.

*~*

“A bit… plain, isn’t it?”

That was putting it mildly. Their ‘private room’ simply looked like yet another classroom, tables and chairs arranged in neat rows about the area. The only concession to this apparently being his living quarters for the foreseeable future was a door in the back of the classroom that led to what appeared to be a simple toilet.

“Rather dull,” from behind him, Saber nodded as she flashed into view. “But we must make do with what he have, must we not? Fear not, Praetor, my natural elegance can make a grand theatre of even most simple of stages!”

Shiki chuckled as he settled himself onto a desk. “If you say so, Saber. Um, by the way, if you don’t mind, I have a… somewhat personal question.”

“Oh?” Shiki thought he could catch a flash of anxiety on his Servant’s face. “What about, Praetor?”

“Um… well, there’s no way to ask this that won’t be awkward, but… why is the front of your skirt transparent?”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“It.”

“Hm?”

“It. Is a fashion statement.” Saber folded her arms and nodded. “Yes, that’s right. Does that answer satisfy you, Praetor?”

“Well, I suppose it’ll do…”

“But, on to more pressing concerns,” appropriating another chair for her own, Saber swung it to face Shiki as she sat down herself. “Praetor, from your earlier conversation with Father Kotomine, it appears that you are searching for someone here in this War. Am I correct?”

Shiki nodded once. “That’s right. She’s being forced to participate against her will.”

Saber’s gaze sharpened. “Then, Praetor, as much as I hate to say it, you were foolish to come here.”

“I’m sorry?”

“The Holy Grail War does not allow for alliances or teams. If someone you know is also in the War, then sooner or later you will end up facing her on the battlefield – well, if both of you survive, anyway,” Saber took a deep breath. “The best thing you could have done was to offer prayers for her success in this campaign from afar.”

Running a hand through his hair, Shiki chuckled. “Well, it’s true. I’m a big idiot who also can’t leave that other big idiot alone.”

Saber blew out a sigh. “I see. Well, I shall not pursue this matter any further for the time being. You are the Master, and I defer to your desires in this matter. In the meantime, we still have a War to fight.”

“That’s right,” Shiki fished the terminal out of his pocket again. “So, there are four spots of interest.”

“The bulletin board, where we shall find the name of our current opponent,” Saber said.

“The Commissary and Chapel, where we’ll get help in preparing ourselves for the fight.”

“And finally the Arena where the Trigger Keys await us,” Saber concluded. “Be careful though, Praetor. Your opponent is likely in the Arena making his or her own preparations as well.

“Understood,” Shiki turned and headed for the doorway. “Well, let’s get started, Saber. We’ve got a lot to do today.”

*~*

The words were typed neatly onto the sheet of paper that had been pinned to the wall.

Round One: Shiki Tohno vs Dan Blackmore

“Well,” Shiki muttered. “I know the name of my opponent, but how does that help? To be honest, I was hoping for some information on the enemy Servant. Like at least what class it is.”

“They are unlikely to ever do that, Praetor,” Saber said from beside him. “Hoarding information about your Servant is one of the key factors for victory in the Holy Grail War. If one were to discern their opponent’s true name, that is the sort of thing that can turn the tide of battle.”

“Yes, I see…” Shiki nodded slowly before a thought struck him. “Um, Saber?”

“Yes, what is it?”

“What is your true name?” he questioned as he turned to face her. “I don’t think you mentioned it to me yet.”

“Ah, yes,” Saber coughed into her hand, and for a moment Shiki could swear that she was blushing. “It – ahem, it is still far too early for me to reveal my deepest secrets, Praetor, even if I believe you are a capable Master. Perhaps when our bond of trust has been deepened a little further, but until then, I can only ask that you indulge in this selfishness of mine”

“Well, I suppose that’s understandable,” Shiki sighed. “If you don’t think me trustworthy enough to keep your real name a secret, then-“

“No!” the franticness of the yell startled Shiki a little. “Praetor, please do not misunderstand. I did not intend to claim you are untrustworthy. Nothing of the sort!”

“Oh. Well then, thanks for the vote of confidence. In any case, I know my opponent’s name now, for all the good that does me,” Shiki gave the board one final glance before turning away. “And now, let’s check the Commissary out.”

*~*

“Ah, food,” Shiki glanced at the curry bread he had just purchased from the counter. “I should have guessed. I guess they really went all out on recreating our virtual bodies and their functions.”

As he unwrapped his meal and began eating, Shiki could feel Saber in her dematerialized form, a sensation of curiosity emanating from her.

“Do Servants need to eat, Saber?” he questioned the seemingly empty air.

“No, not really. That is not to say that we were enjoy a meal once in a while, of course.”

“Of course,” Shiki nodded. “Do you want me to get you anything? The daily allowance they gave us is actually pretty big.”

“I shall be fine for the moment. Do not worry on my account.”

“If you say so,” finishing up his impromptu meal, Shiki threw it into the trash can and wash just about to turn and leave when a sudden thought struck him and he turned back to the counter.

“What’s that, son? Want more food?” the lady behind the counter smiled at him.

“Er, no, but do you by any chance sell knives here?”

*~*

“Well, it was worth a shot,” Shiki mumbled as he made his way towards the Chapel.

“Really, Master,” Saber appeared beside him, an annoyed expression on her face. “I cannot claim to know what it is you’re thinking, but seeking out a knife? It is my job as a Servant to serve as your blade, the only weapon you will need in this War!”

“I’m sorry, Saber,” Shiki smiled back at her. “I know that most Masters would hang back and let their Servants do the heavy lifting, but there are Masters who can only support from the front.”

“Listen to yourself,” Saber folded her arms. “Master, if you know anything at all about the Holy Grail War, you must know that Servants far outrstrip any normal human’s capabilities. While I have no doubt that you must be an exceptional human – after all, you summoned me – even that has its limits,” a cloud passed over Saber’s face. “Praetor, I… I forbid it. I cannot allow you to take such a foolish risk.”

“Yes, I know, but there will always be times where I’ll need to defend myself anyway, won’t I? In that case, having a weapon can only help.”

“W – well, I suppose… if the opponent were unusually stealthy…” Saber appeared deep in thought as Shiki pushed the door open and stepped into the gloom of the chapel.

“Welcome to the Chapel. Will you be needing an Alteration of the Shiki!?” a cheerful, youthful voice that ended in a start of surprise. One that was so very familiar… he looked up.

“Sensei?” he sputtered, just as flabbergasted. “What are – what on earth are you doing here?”

“I could ask the same of you!” The sorceress Aoko Aozaki, Blue to most, Sensei to Shiki countered. “I couldn’t find any trace of you ever since the Broken World incident, and all of a sudden you pop up again in the Holy Grail War without a care in the world? What happened, Shiki?”

Broken World…? Oh, of course. Shiki sighed and rubbed his head. She’s not… he hesitated for a moment. Should I tell her?

“I’m… sorry, Sensei,” he finally spoke out after a long, uncomfortable silence. “But I’m afraid I don’t remember much of what happened after the whole mess.”

Aoko sat back and folded her arms with a sigh. “And what possessed you to sign up for this little bloodbath, anyway?”

“…” Shiki swallowed hard. The person in front of him… Sensei. One of the very few people in the world that Shiki could trust without reservation, could speak his secrets to without any fear.

Ordinarily.

But this wasn’t the Sensei he knew, and just that fact alone changed everything.

“I’m sorry, Sensei,” he finally whispered. “It’s… a personal matter.”

Aoko Aozaki stared back at him, an unspoken question in her deep red eyes - red? The Sensei I know has blue eyes… - before she nodded and sighed.

“Well, you’ve changed a lot since the last time we met, Shiki. Whether for the better or the worse I can’t say just yet. For now though, I won’t pry if you don’t want me to,” and then the bright smile on her face again. “So, will you need an Alteration performed?”

“Alteration?” Shiki rubbed the back of his head. “I was just told that the chapel could help me with preparing for the War.”

“Yes, sort of,” Aoko nodded. “In here, I perform Alterations of the Soul, which is basically using the Master’s abilities to augment and boost those of the Servant’s.”

“That sound useful.”

“Of course it is! It’s not unlimited, of course. How much magic the Master can afford to feed the Servant is the primary consideration. In your case…” Aoko sighed. “Well, you’re not a natural magus, so it isn’t going to be that much. Still, every little bit helps. And as you grow stronger from fighting in the war, come back and we’ll see if we can’t do even more.”

“Well, I don’t think we should ignore any chance to get stronger,” Shiki glanced over his shoulder. “Saber?”

“Very well, Praetor,” Saber appeared in front of Shiki, her gaze steady on Aoko. “I shall accept the aid of this woman.”

“Excellent! Just give me a minute to set things up and…”

*~*

“Ahem!” Aoko coughed. “Well, Ms. Saber, do you feel any stronger?”

“…” Saber flexed her fingers as she stared at them, before a smile spread across her face. “Indeed I do. My thanks, lady magus.”

“Call me Aoko. If you’re a friend of Shiki’s, you’re a friend of mine,” the Sorceress smiled at her.

“A friend? Ah, you are mistaken, I’m his Servant and he is my Master-”

Aoko shook her head and laughed. “If you’re Shiki’s Servant, that means you’re Shiki’s friend. That’s just the way he is. Well, you’re just about done here, so off you go!”

As Saber departed the Chapel to rejoin Shiki, Aoko watched the two of them leave and shook her head.

“Good luck, Shiki,” she whispered.

“What’s this?” a familiar, unpleasant voice sounded from the back end of the room. “You did an Alteration without me to supervise? I hope you didn’t botch things up too much.”

“What took you so long to grab a packet of e-cigarettes anyway? Mind so infirm that you lost your way to the Commissary?”

“Shut the hell up. The prices were daylight robbery, so I got them to give me a discount.”

“…” Aoko glanced at her sister. “You argued a non-sentient computer program into giving you a discount?”

Lighting the first of her newly acquired cigarettes, Touko merely looked very pleased with herself.

*~*

“Is anything the matter, Saber? You feel… contemplative?”

“Hm? Oh, nothing much, Praetor. That lady magus merely gave me some food for thought as a parting word,” Saber’s disembodied voice sounded next to his ear. “Well then, Praetor, shall we venture to the Arena? The entrance would be the same wall one had to enter by to get to the preliminaries.”

“All right,” Shiki nodded after a moment’s hesitation. “Let’s go. We should get a feel for the place, if nothing else.”

As he walked off, his Servant in tow, two more people were busy observing him.

“That’s our fight? He looks as green as can be. Can’t judge the Servant yet though, guess we’ll see more when they’re in the Arena.”

“Patience, Archer. Remember that for today, our only task is to observe.”

“I know, I know. I’m just saying, if we get a chance to nail the kid from the back-“

“You will do no such thing. That is not the way of an honourable warrior.”

“Yeah, yeah, lemme get back to you on that as soon as that term applies in the least bit to me. Well, they’re in the Arena now. Shall we, Master?”

A brief nod, and two more vanished through the doorway into the Arena as well.”

*~*

Chapter End

*~*

I hate it when my chapters turn out to be Infodump Chapters. Well, I hope I was still able to make it sufficiently entertaining for all of you.

Thanks for reading. I would appreciate reviews.

Blog Entries
    Skipping Shinji and heading straight to Dan, eh? I guess that confirms my suspicions that the order for enemies to be fought would be different. This Saber is confusing me~

Damnit I was hoping to see Shinji(Matou) get carved upon by Shiki for being an annoying pissant!

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with an infodump - helps us poor, deprived souls unable to play the game ourselves . . . And ignites our desire to do so.

Besides, as someone who runs across them every now and again for things I have seen or played, I often find it interesting to see what the change in perspective does to alter the canon scene. I'll wager Aoko's little spiel is different in the game, for example.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

How do you get all EX rank stats in Extra anyway, I'm playing a ng+ but got no stat boosts.

Also Archer will die in a blaze of glory, either by MEoDP or Audience/Thunderous Applause.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    EDIT: By the way Pure, do I have to know anything more than just the premise of all the FSM and Tsuki characters having a cross-dimensional job agency to understand future chapters? I have not read anything about Kieran's Grail Works story. I recall past attempts at reading his work ending up with me being very confused.
    That's why chapters like the latest one exist - to get readers who aren't quite familiar with the setting to get a basic idea of how things work in here. In this case, it's similar enough to F/SN that most should be able to understand what's going on before too long.

Nothing wrong with an infodump - helps us poor, deprived souls unable to play the game ourselves . . . And ignites our desire to do so.

Besides, as someone who runs across them every now and again for things I have seen or played, I often find it interesting to see what the change in perspective does to alter the canon scene. I'll wager Aoko's little spiel is different in the game, for example.
    Well, I like it when my work (in any capacity) inspires people to do stuff they normally wouldn't do. So thanks!

Arcuied vs. Saber(Gawain) in a true fight who would win.

...How is that even a question? Pretty much the only Servant that would give Arc (30% Arc) a run for her money is good ol' Goldy.

Blog Entries
    ...How is that even a question? Pretty much the only Servant that would give Arc (30% Arc) a run for her money is good ol' Goldy.
    I presume the part where Gawain is invincible if the sun is up isn't being taken into account?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

No more than Arc being unkilllable during the night?

Edit: Now that I think about it, couldn't Arc Marble Phantasm up heavy enough cloud cover to negate Gawain's sun invincibility?

That's why I posed the question. Also would Blut die Schwester(I may have mispelled this despit me being 1/2 german) be counted as a type of Bounded Field or just Arc's 'aura'?

Blog Entries
    No more than Arc being unkilllable during the night?
    I am amused by how this fight comes down to the time of day.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

That's why I posed the question. Also would Blut die Schwester(I may have mispelled this despit me being 1/2 german) be counted as a type of Bounded Field or just Arc's 'aura'?
    *shrugs*

To the best of my knowledge, it's only brought up during F/E and circumstances there render it rather likely it wasn't functioning properly anyway. In 'The World of the Moon' I treated it as a Reality Marble/Bounded Field on par with Crystal Valley and Crimson Moon though.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am amused by how this fight comes down to the time of day.
    At least it's consistent. The conditions are straightforward: during the day, Gawain is unkillable - ergo, he is liable to win 99.99% of the time. During the night, Arcueid has a similar chance. It's a very simple debate to argue - unlike, say, the Superman vs. _____ debates I usually see.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette