Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2710111213141722 ... LastLast

Thread: The DC Discussion Thread - For all things relating to DC Comics

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherrinford View Post
    Well, for now, we just know they have feeling for each other. For all we know, Shado is still alive after the five-years timeskip, they get back the relationship and then...
    That would be cool.

And hey, after all it's just a wild guess, just because Merlyn is a member of the LoA in the comics. "Nega-Arrow" may be unaffiliated with Ra's in this series .
    True.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Citizen of the World TheInfamousMan's Avatar
    Recently reread The Killing Joke, and I now remember why it's the greatest Joker and Batman story. You have to admit, both Batman and Joker are so similar that it's crazy. The only difference? Joker got the joke and laughed. Batman got the joke, but didn't think it was funny. He saw no need to crawl into a hole and lash out at the frightening and scary world like the Joker did. Perhaps the Joker did have a very bad day, but in the end, he himself was the one who went insane. It wasn't the day's fault. It was his and his alone.
    Current Works:

Just an Unorthodox Thief (Fate/Zero-Lupin III Crossover) [Updated 7/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

A Different Kind of Truth (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run/Persona 4 Crossover) [Updated 3/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousMan View Post
    Recently reread The Killing Joke, and I now remember why it's the greatest Joker and Batman story. You have to admit, both Batman and Joker are so similar that it's crazy. The only difference? Joker got the joke and laughed. Batman got the joke, but didn't think it was funny. He saw no need to crawl into a hole and lash out at the frightening and scary world like the Joker did. Perhaps the Joker did have a very bad day, but in the end, he himself was the one who went insane. It wasn't the day's fault. It was his and his alone.
    Ah, Alan Moore back in the days before he lost his mind - yeah, it is one of the better ones. And I find your analysis spot-on.

When it comes to Batman stories, I'm rather fond of "Year One" and "The Dark Knight Returns," as well (Frank Miller before he lost his mind - maybe it's something to do with comic book writers?). That said, however, the animated "Year One" was a disappointment, so I've avoided the animated "Dark Knight" in response. Is it actually any good, do you know?

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Ah, Alan Moore back in the days before he lost his mind - yeah, it is one of the better ones. And I find your analysis spot-on.

When it comes to Batman stories, I'm rather fond of "Year One" and "The Dark Knight Returns," as well (Frank Miller before he lost his mind - maybe it's something to do with comic book writers?). That said, however, the animated "Year One" was a disappointment, so I've avoided the animated "Dark Knight" in response. Is it actually any good, do you know?
    Eh, it's okay. It's not as powerful without Bruce's internal monologue to confirm to us that yes, he is bat-shit insane. but it does keep the Joker's general creepiness and the innuendo that came with their final confrontation.

Here's to hoping that Mark Hamil's quest for the Killing Joke to be animated becomes a reality.

Also, glad you like my analysis. It's my personal belief that the Joker is perhaps the worst that humanity could ever become. People can become a monster like the Joker if they were to allow it. If they blamed the world and curled into a ball because of some misfortune. It's scary once you think about it, and it makes Batman even more special. He could have very easily become just like the Joker, but didn't.
    Last edited by TheInfamousMan; November 22nd, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
    Current Works:

Just an Unorthodox Thief (Fate/Zero-Lupin III Crossover) [Updated 7/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

A Different Kind of Truth (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run/Persona 4 Crossover) [Updated 3/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Blog Entries
    Eh, it's okay. It's not as powerful without Bruce's internal monologue to confirm to us that yes, he is bat-shit insane. but it does keep the Joker's general creepiness and the innuendo that came with their final confrontation.
    No monologue?! But - but that's . . . That's the best part!

. . . Then again, they made Year One boring, even with the internal monologue, so there's no guarantee it'd be good, regardless, I suppose.

Here's to hoping that Mark Hamil's quest for the Killing Joke to be animated becomes a reality.
    If he does the Joker again, I'm in.

Also, glad you like my analysis. It's my personal belief that the Joker is perhaps the worst that humanity could ever become. People can become a monster like the Joker if they were to allow it. If they blamed the world and curled into a ball because of some misfortune. It's scary once you think about it, and it makes Batman even more special. He could have very easily become just like the Joker, but didn't.
    No - and the Joker is somebody who (whether he admits it or not) troubles somebody as egocentric as Luthor, so you know he's got to be bad.

. . . Though my favourite Joker line is still from Gods of Gotham (a Wonder Woman crossover):

"I was a god again, Bats! You were a god! We could've been gods together! . . . Like we're not already archetypal enough."

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Stopped at Barnes & Nobles, had time to kill, read through All-Star Superman. Have to say, even if I personally don't like the character, Grant Morrison knows to not have Superman even remotely try to be grim, dark, and brooding. All-Star is a fond look back and farewell to the Superman of the Silver Age, keeping all the craziness of the era while handling it with love. Have to say, when Grant can keep his focus, he can truly let people experience the fun and tongue-to-cheek humor of the Silver Age in the Modern Age.
    Current Works:

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

Blog Entries
    Stopped at Barnes & Nobles, had time to kill, read through All-Star Superman. Have to say, even if I personally don't like the character, Grant Morrison knows to not have Superman even remotely try to be grim, dark, and brooding. All-Star is a fond look back and farewell to the Superman of the Silver Age, keeping all the craziness of the era while handling it with love. Have to say, when Grant can keep his focus, he can truly let people experience the fun and tongue-to-cheek humor of the Silver Age in the Modern Age.
    The problem, I find, is that he rarely does keep his focus. I've been known to lose track of what the hell's going on in mid-story, reading his stuff - to say nothing of losing interest. The man can come up with some interesting concepts, but as far as executing them goes . . .

(. . . And there's not a bit of the pot calling the kettle black in that statement, is there? )

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

The problem, I find, is that he rarely does keep his focus. I've been known to lose track of what the hell's going on in mid-story, reading his stuff - to say nothing of losing interest. The man can come up with some interesting concepts, but as far as executing them goes . . .

(. . . And there's not a bit of the pot calling the kettle black in that statement, is there? )
    well he is known to take drugs, so that might have something to do with it.

But the plus-side of All star is that each issue is a one-shot with an over-arching plot of Superman's death. Allowing Grant to keep the Silver-Age wackiness, not explain a lot, and keep his focus more.

Yeah. I kind of went 'Grant Morrison' on my own stories, as I'm sure we have all...

Still loved his stuff on Animal Man & JLA
    Current Works:

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Some vids to kill time.

For Kieran, in case he missed it:

Getting to know the woman behind Felicity Smoak:

Anyone read Neil Gaiman's Sandman? Have to say, the man knows mythology and can even make the most obscure of DC characters into relevant plot points. I mean, look at Doctor Destiny and Lynda Hall!
    Current Works:

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Anyone read Neil Gaiman's Sandman?
    Are you kidding? Of course I have!

Although it was some time ago, and I'm not so knowledgeable of DC's obscure characters.

Well lets just say that Neil Gaiman ranked up Doctor Destiny's madness and his capability of using the stone to eleven. He nearly drove the whole world mad, and completely forgot his original plan to hold it for ransom because watching the madness was too damn fun.

Lyta was Daniel's mother, and she kind of went nuts when Morpheus sent Hector to the afterlife and her child was taken from her.
    Last edited by TheInfamousMan; December 2nd, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
    Current Works:

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherrinford View Post
    Some vids to kill time.

All that for a commercial . . . *shakes head* Still, it was fun to watch.

For Kieran, in case he missed it:

I did miss it (thank you stupid network), so thanks - and the warning that it's a two-parter is deeply appreciated.

Getting to know the woman behind Felicity Smoak:

Quite long, but undoubtedly fun - I'll save this one for later.

Anyone read Neil Gaiman's Sandman? Have to say, the man knows mythology and can even make the most obscure of DC characters into relevant plot points. I mean, look at Doctor Destiny and Lynda Hall!
    Her name is "Lyta," actually - as in "Hippolyta," Wonder Woman's mom.

That said - yeah, he does work well to subtly remind you that this is the DC universe, but without shoving it in your face. Though the appearance of Superman, Batman, and the Martian Manhunter is hysterical.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Her name is "Lyta," actually - as in "Hippolyta," Wonder Woman's mom.

That said - yeah, he does work well to subtly remind you that this is the DC universe, but without shoving it in your face. Though the appearance of Superman, Batman, and the Martian Manhunter is hysterical.
    Fixed.

Yeah, it's subtle and that's what I like about Neil Gaiman. Sandman is its own little thing that happens to take place in the DC Universe. Also, from my understanding Martian Manhunter likely never got involved with Morphius' quest for the stone because he is a god to the Martian, and thus J'onn probably thought that his god could handle things on his own.
    Current Works:

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

Blog Entries
    I meant in the last book.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

I meant in the last book.
    Finished with Omnibus 1, and I only know about Daniel from Grant Morrison's JLA. Waiting for Omnibus 2 though from my Library.

I kinda felt bad for Hector when Brute and Glob spilled the beans. You can tell from his face that it broke him inside that his life and struggles, no matter how nonsensical or silly, were just a big joke to his supposed allies.
    Last edited by TheInfamousMan; December 2nd, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
    Current Works:

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

Blog Entries
    Finished with Omnibus 1, and I only know about Daniel from Grant Morrison's JLA. Waiting for Omnibus 2 though from my Library.
    Good thing I phrased my statement with minimal spoilers, then.

I kinda felt bad for Hector when Brute and Glob spilled the beans. You can tell from his face that it broke him inside that his life and struggles, no matter how nonsensical or silly, were just a big joke to his supposed allies.
    I can't argue with that. And poor Lyta . . . Well, you'll see.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    WARNING! The following post contains spoilers (spoilers, spoilers! Terrible spoilers!) for Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox.

So, I watched Flashpoint Paradox, and I liked it. (Probably because) it's not just some "alternate reality", but it's a true ten-seconds-to-the-apocalypse world, and surprisingly dark...

... I mean, Wonder Woman has no problem in killing a child (bonus points because Billy is actually a favorite character of mine) and cold-blooded killing Steve, Superman reduced to a shade of himself, Flash horribly burned by the lightning (with the possibility of failing a second time and dying for good), Aquaman loses an arm brutally, Hal Jordan's (ineffectual) kamikaze attack... it was so good it sincerely made me feel sorry for characters I normally wouldn't consider too much (for example, GL).

And Zoom. Oh, Professor Zoom. Take every incarnation ever of the Joker and put them together and they still have nothing to Professor Zoom in this movie. A psychopath supervillain that has no problem in turning the world into basically the worst possible timeline and actually being happy to die in it if it means total annihilation, just for evulz. He's so horribly evil and twisted in this (bonus points because, well, let's say it, Flash's Rogues are quite clown-esque, while Zoom...!)

Personally I think that, if a JLA movie should be made, this could be of inspiration (at least, after a first movie established, it could be a sequel JLA 2 or 3).

Don't know if this is the right thread for this but Wonder Woman is to appear in the Worlds Finestmovie and has been cast:

Link.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    It is.

So, not only we have Batman in the next Superman movie, but now Wonder Woman too? Mmh, ok.

I feel a little sorry to say this, but at least from the photo posted, she says nothing to me... especially as Wonder Woman. But we'll see.

(personal note: it seems the direction we're headed towards is indeed a JLA movie...)