Page 268 of 372 FirstFirst ... 168218258263266267268269270273278318368 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,360 of 7425

Thread: The Grail Works Mission Dossier (Discussion & Ideas)

Blog Entries
    I'm attempting to use past tense. Not sure if I succeeded or not.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    I'm attempting to use past tense. Not sure if I succeeded or not.
    Look through and fix anything that's present tense and I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    ...crap. I don't really remember what's past tense and what's present tense.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, look for words like "I'll," where it should be "I'd" (generally speaking), and check your verbs. Your character, in past tense, ought to have "jumped," instead of simply "jump," and so on.

. . . On an unrelated note, I bought the Player's Handbook for the Fifth Edition of D&D, and skimmed it over an hour and a half. It's - interesting. Certainly more compatible with Kieran Holt than 4th edition, but while I can adapt him, it's going to involve major changes. No spell I'm seeing seems to last more than 10 minutes, if that, and he'll be a lot weaker, given how Strength is calculated now.

And that's to say nothing of the fact that werewolves aren't even (currently) listed in the game . . . I suppose I'll have to see if "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" has anything on them.

On the other hand, he'll be within the game's experience table (19th level, specifically - assuming I don't cause him to lose a level via adaptation), and it's sufficiently disorienting to be "fair," by the terms of either the curse that was originally set on him, or the troll gods (like they'd just let the elves bring in a mega-weapon to show their children up regarding Elsa's education).
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Kieran, I appreciate it.

By the way, which of you guys is named *REDACTED*? Just making sure, because I'd like to thank whoever it is for pointing out the issue of whose room Ilya was in.
    Last edited by Xamusel; September 2nd, 2014 at 07:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Kieran, I appreciate it.

By the way, which of you guys is. Just making sure, because I'd like to thank whoever it is for pointing out the issue of whose room Ilya was in.
    That's me, though I'd appreciate if you'd scrub that comment. I personally don't like my name online.

Blog Entries
    Ah, sorry, Vigilantia. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Anyway, to be fair, I'm still working on the Past Tense/Present Tense thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    . . . On an unrelated note, I bought the Player's Handbook for the Fifth Edition of D&D, and skimmed it over an hour and a half. It's - interesting. Certainly more compatible with Kieran Holt than 4th edition, but while I can adapt him, it's going to involve major changes. No spell I'm seeing seems to last more than 10 minutes, if that, and he'll be a lot weaker, given how Strength is calculated now.

And that's to say nothing of the fact that werewolves aren't even (currently) listed in the game . . . I suppose I'll have to see if "Hoard of the Dragon Queen" has anything on them.

On the other hand, he'll be within the game's experience table (19th level, specifically - assuming I don't cause him to lose a level via adaptation), and it's sufficiently disorienting to be "fair," by the terms of either the curse that was originally set on him, or the troll gods (like they'd just let the elves bring in a mega-weapon to show their children up regarding Elsa's education).
    Personally, I prefer the D&D universe. It's more common and less awkward than having your character be divine. Also, people are familiar with your class in general.

Blog Entries
    Er, Vigilantia, do you mind helping me figure out what is past tense and what needs to be past tense? Just need to make sure I don't need to revise everything from the ground up... again.

Blog Entries
    Er, Vigilantia, do you mind helping me figure out what is past tense and what needs to be past tense? Just need to make sure I don't need to revise everything from the ground up... again.
    What's so hard about it? I figure it'd be obvious.

"Nathan fired his P226 from behind the steel shipping container. Returning behind cover, he felt the steel shudder as bullets impacted into the box behind him. He reached for another magazine before coming empty. He'd forgotten his spare magazines in the car."

"I fire my pistol from behind the steel shipping container. Returning behind cover, I feel the steel shudder as bullets impact into the box behind me. I reach for another magazine before coming empty. I'd forgotten my spare magazines in the car."

First is past tense limited 3rd person (how I write), second is present 1st person (what you're doing). The only possible tricky part is the last part because you can write it as "what he thought" or just regular 1st person. So it could also be "I forgot my spare magazines in the car."
    Last edited by Vigilantia; September 2nd, 2014 at 09:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    Vigilantia, what might be obvious for you is not so for me, due to how my brain works. I'm attempting to fix it still... it's really hard for me to fix my brain from its hardwired state.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ok Xam, I gave the chapter a look through.

I'm not even going to try and fix the tense problems, I've never been very good at that. I did notice how DtG's segments seem to have quite a few elipses and dirveging dialogue. Try to cut down on those, or Arch-Magos might end up dieing from alcohol posioning (although its nowhere near the levels of FFD, elipses aren't really good in a narritive. In conversations, they work, but not in the narration).
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Ah... that seems to be another thing I need to work on with him.

And I just noticed I'm doing it again (using ellipses when not needed).

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Ah... that seems to be another thing I need to work on with him.

And I just noticed I'm doing it again (using ellipses when not needed).
    But it's conversation, so it's given more leeway. Its when it's present in narration, perticularly in a past tense, where it becomes unbearable.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Ah... no wonder. Thanks for pointing that out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    Personally, I prefer the D&D universe. It's more common and less awkward than having your character be divine. Also, people are familiar with your class in general.
    Sorry for not responding to this earlier - it kind of got lost in the conversation regarding Xamusel's work. *Shrugs*

In any case, while you make an excellent point, one of the major drawbacks is it means that "Beast of the Moon" will have no sequels until the end of November - because I'll definitely need all three core rulebooks to properly convert Kieran to Fifth Edition.

(And so far, I have to ask: is it just me, or do the spellcasters get screwed on their "spells per day?" Maybe I'm just not far enough into the book yet . . .)

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't know on the spellcaster thing... don't have Fifth Edition core rulebooks for taking a look through.

If I did, I'd tell you, really.

Blog Entries
    At the moment, it's just the one rulebook, and a .PDF labelled "Dungeon Master's Guide 0.1" - and I sincerely hope so, because so far I'm not impressed by what they did to screw over werewolves.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Now, among other things, I'm trying to think of an alternative for "Beast of the Moon" (whose proof-reading is about 85% done, at which point I'll start making the revisions). As you may have noted, I'm a bit terrible when it comes to naming things, and that title worked with one of my initial concepts of the fic, but not with the fic as it eventually turned out to be.

I'm sort of partial to "Gaming the System," but I'm not sure that it's any more accurate, either . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Ugh... this might count as bumping the topic needlessly, but I just wanted to say this: Do you mind sharing the list of names for the fic, and the concepts that would help us choose the name of the fic for you?