Page 51 of 371 FirstFirst ... 414649505152535661101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 7412

Thread: The Grail Works Mission Dossier (Discussion & Ideas)

Ahahahahahahaha! Hymn of Ragnarok's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Heh...eheheheh.....ahahahahahahaha!

I've always hated writing a story without actually knowing how it will begin and end. But with Trev's idea for a beginning, I finally got hit in the face with a solid plot lying in bed last night! Vagrant Story's plot has left no loose ends (that need to be resolved), and Demon's Souls is also pretty plot-lite, so I've been trying to come up with my own. And I think I've got it!

God I wish I could have had my laptop then, I'd have been taking notes from that burst of inspiration all night. But I really think it'll work! It will give suitable screentime to everyone if I work the angle right, and let me set up a number of surprises and 'oh shit' moments! And all I need to do is successfully sell a few key moments to the audience to make it work.

Gotta finish outlining, setting the stage, and my five themes prompt (I hate leaving work unfinished), but otherwise I think I'm almost ready to start writing.

Kieran, I need you to answer a question though. Given how absurdly dangerous Demon's Souls is, I don't see Ilya holding back her best assets. It seems like a situation Saber would be sent in for, possibly Kurai as well. The biggest question I have, which may have to be answered over PM is....what form is Saber in? Should I write her as Dragon!Saber? Because that could work, OP as she is. Servant!Saber? Excalibur is a real bitch to work around. Human!Saber, but without her Noble Phantasms? Really easy to work in.

If I'm to use Saber, and I see no reason why Ilya wouldn't send in the big guns at some point, what should I do?

Also, if anything I think Ilya would try to hide the Boletaria's situation because while UBW is a fantastic ability, Shirou's essentially a glass cannon. He doesn't have much prana, he's not Servant level in physical ability, so unless I'm missing something he's a pretty big liability. His arsenal is useful, no doubt about it, but Shirou does not know when to sit down and stay put. Ilya knows that when, say, Saber or Kurai to go fight a Demon and tell Shirou that he is not to follow in no uncertain terms, there's a better than even chance that he'll follow and get them in trouble.

Shiki's probably not going to show up for the same reason: glass cannon. Top tier human ability don't mean shit when dragons are strafing you. Also, I've never played Tsukihime. So Aruceid and Ciel won't show up, even though I'm much more open to them. If people really want them, are willing to advise me and present a convincing argument I'll consider it.

No Sakura/Rider team because Sakura is a giant liability. At least Shiki and Shirou are combat worthy, Sakura's magic just ain't gonna cut it in a world that's a credible threat to Heroic Spirit level warriors. And since I do not think Grail Works Sakura has infinite prana on account of Shirou making a wish on the Grail to make Grail Works, Sakura's normal reserves to sustain Rider are not suitable for a long, protracted battle in hostile territory with bodyguard duties. Also, I don't want to. So nyah!

No maids for the same reason: they go squish! And they don't even have a statuesque lady who can glare people into solid granite.

And should any of these reasons fail to hold water....the people are busy. Done!

So I'm thinking the team is going to start with Saber, maybe Kurai, and other people get sent as reinforcements when it becomes clear that something big is going down. Shirou and Shiki could show up, but only if it turns out that Saber and/or Kurai need the back-up.

Thoughts, comments? If you got 'em, speak now while my muse is singing!

EDIT: GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Well I found my first plot hole to fill. Can I assume that Grail Works has something that lets them communicate with people from different worlds and times?

And if the Maiden in Black is as old as she seems (which I assume is pretty damn old), how is she speaking in a mostly recognizable dialect? I figured she was as old as the Monumental, but maybe not...
    Last edited by Hymn of Ragnarok; January 18th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam

IS THIS REVENGE, HYMN? REVENGE FOR ALL THE ABUSE I PUT YOU THROUGH?
    That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    PMed, for those of you following along.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Don't worry, the liquid is resplendent Incarnite Azurnum's Avatar
    Comparatively, Demon Souls should be a breeze for Servants. From what I understand, a normal human completed the game. Granted it was a human with access to magic and infinite revives but when I look at his feats objectively, the only ones which really stand out are killing a Dragon God (and he freaking lands himself in a spot where there are two MASSIVE ballistae aiming at him. Go figure.) and the other one was killing a very very large sky manta ray which shot... harpoons, homing ones that were very large.

Then again, the conventions of the world make humans very VERY squishy. Hmm, makes me wonder who's being sent to Demon Souls.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Incarnite Azurnum View Post
    Comparatively, Demon Souls should be a breeze for Servants.
    Three words: New Game Plus.

My goal is to believably turn the world of Demon's Souls into a killing ground credible to even Heroic Spirits.

From what I understand, a normal human completed the game.
    Well....maybe they were a normal human at the start. By the end of the game that normal human probably grafted several hundred thousands souls to themselves in order to increase their abilities. Or at least sacrificed that many.

So I wouldn't be calling the Player Character a bog standard human in the end. Especially not after they're been nomming and using Demon Souls to create enchanted weapons and powerful spells.

Granted it was a human with access to magic and infinite revives but when I look at his feats objectively, the only ones which really stand out are killing a Dragon God (and he freaking lands himself in a spot where there are two MASSIVE ballistae aiming at him. Go figure.) and the other one was killing a very very large sky manta ray which shot... harpoons, homing ones that were very large.
    You may rest assured that the characters in my story will not get such convenient aid. The Dragon God was one of the biggest disappointments ever. Since I'm calling the shots though and not hindered by the video gaming medium, this could very well edge into Shadow of the Colossus territory. At very least I'm tepted to use it as inspiration.

Killing those bastards is going to be hard, hard work.

Then again, the conventions of the world make humans very VERY squishy. Hmm, makes me wonder who's being sent to Demon Souls.
    Saber and Kurai are on the short list. A crossover with Vagrant Story is locked, with Ashley Riot taking the place of the Player Character. Feel free to lob suggestions my way. I'll take them under consideration.

Finally, I solemnly promise to make as many waves and FUBAR'd situations as possible with the material given to me. The setting of Grail Works demands no less.
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....

That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

Out of curiosity for the demon's souls cross will the demon's be the same one in the game or will there be new stronger demons, and when will Saber be arriving during or after the fog sets? Also how big a role will Maiden Astraea and her knight play in this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reborn214 View Post
    Out of curiosity for the demon's souls cross will the demon's be the same one in the game or will there be new stronger demons,
    Probably mostly the same. If I can fit new ones in, I will. Suggestions are welcome.

and when will Saber be arriving during or after the fog sets?
    After.

Also how big a role will Maiden Astraea and her knight play in this?
    Without giving away details, they're currently slated to be in multiple scenes. They have too much backstory and potential to be squandered. What I'll use them for and how large a role they'll have is still being worked out, but they'll have a speaking role. That's more than others get.

I can't promise more than that, but if enough people like them I'll see what else I can do with them. I'd love to give them more screentime, if possible.

And oh ye gods, when I was deciding who stays and who goes I forgot me beloved tsundere Rin! I'm sorry Rin, Beast's Lair has corrupted me to the point where I preempt accusations instead of paying attention to the characters I truly love! It ain't my fault, I promise!

...Sadly, Rin is probably not going to get much of a role, if at all. Her gems are good, and she might be able to hold her own against the rank and file, but she's as squishy as every other human. I probably can't even use her as mission control since such a foreign magic system would take time for her to acclimate to. I'll tentatively list her as back-up. Who knows, maybe Saber will need a prana exchange ritual.

That's all, folks!

Damn you Hymn.
    Bless you Hymn.

Her gems are good, and she might be able to hold her own against the rank and file, but she's as squishy as every other human
    Read: dies in 5 or less hits from anything.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't give her three. Not in that outfit.

That's all, folks!

Damn you Hymn.
    Bless you Hymn.

Rin would probably be robbed by Trusty Parches if she went their. Look their is treasure in this hole, I don't know why but I feel oddly compelled to work in to this trap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reborn214 View Post
    Rin would probably be robbed by Trusty Parches if she went their. Look their is treasure in this hole, I don't know why but I feel oddly compelled to work in to this trap.
    ...Hmm. If all treasure shined an appealing golden glow like it does in the game, that could actually happen.

Not sure what to do with Patches actually. Hmm...

That's all, folks!

Damn you Hymn.
    Bless you Hymn.

Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Shadow of the Colossus
    You, sir, are awesome.

Blog Entries
    EDIT: GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Well I found my first plot hole to fill. Can I assume that Grail Works has something that lets them communicate with people from different worlds and times?

And if the Maiden in Black is as old as she seems (which I assume is pretty damn old), how is she speaking in a mostly recognizable dialect? I figured she was as old as the Monumental, but maybe not...
    Um, are we referring to a need for a TARDIS-ish telepathic translation circuit?

And oh ye gods, when I was deciding who stays and who goes I forgot me beloved tsundere Rin! I'm sorry Rin, Beast's Lair has corrupted me to the point where I preempt accusations instead of paying attention to the characters I truly love! It ain't my fault, I promise!

...Sadly, Rin is probably not going to get much of a role, if at all. Her gems are good, and she might be able to hold her own against the rank and file, but she's as squishy as every other human. I probably can't even use her as mission control since such a foreign magic system would take time for her to acclimate to. I'll tentatively list her as back-up. Who knows, maybe Saber will need a prana exchange ritual.

I wouldn't give her three. Not in that outfit.
    *cough* Tailor-made excuse to introduce the Kaleidostick! *cough*

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Hmm, well here's the projected stats for the costume

Kaleido Ruby costume set:

Phys
    20*(magic+int)/20*(magic+int)/20*(magic+int)/20*(magic+int)
    Mag
    20*(magic+int)^2
    Fire
    20*(magic+int)
    Bleed
    20*(magic+int)
    Poison
    20*(magic+int)
    Disease
    20*(magic+int)

Weight: Negligible

Set Bonus:
    All enemies who can see the wearer incur a 30% miss chance, 30% slow, 20% damage debuff, 10% defence reduction due to laughing too hard.
    Wearer gains a 30% bonus physical/spell damage, 100% increased attack/casting rate, 300% mana regeneration and pool increase due to the mixture of rage and embarrassment.
    Wearer is stunned when attacked and grappled by tentacles.

Wait.. I think I mixed up mechanics from another game.......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    *tips hat*

Thankee.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Might not be a bad idea, unless English or Japanese just happens to be the universal language. The Japanese bit might fly for FFX since it was made by Japan, but everywhere else?

Vagrant story in particular has a language called Kildean, with its runes scratched throughout Lea Monde. I always assumed that the country more or less would have its own unique language, with English used for the benefit of the players. If that makes any sense.

Bah, maybe I'll just say Ashley really does speak faux Shakespeare. Saber understands Ye Olde English and Kurai can puzzle it out himself.

*cough* Tailor-made excuse to introduce the Kaleidostick! *cough*
    ....That's a good point.

It'd be really, really silly, but there's a time and place for that. Perhaps even in a world as depressing as Demon's Souls.

Hmm, well here's the projected stats for the costume

Phys
    Mag
    20*(magic+int)^2
    Fire
    20*(magic+int)
    Bleed
    20*(magic+int)
    Poison
    20*(magic+int)
    Disease
    20*(magic+int)

Weight: Negligible

Set Bonus:
    All enemies who can see the wearer incur a 30% miss chance, 30% slow, 20% damage debuff, 10% defence reduction due to laughing too hard.
    Wearer gains a 30% bonus physical/spell damage, 100% increased attack/casting rate, 300% mana regeneration and pool increase due to the mixture of rage and embarrassment.
    Wearer is stunned when attacked and grappled by tentacles.

Wait.. I think I mixed up mechanics from another game.......
    Not seeing Stamina or Wisdom, so yes, I believe so. It is a funny idea though.

That's all, folks!

Damn you Hymn.
    Bless you Hymn.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Now I want to see a fic where The Doctor runs across Grail Works.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

Blog Entries
    Might not be a bad idea, unless English or Japanese just happens to be the universal language. The Japanese bit might fly for FFX since it was made by Japan, but everywhere else?
    Or, this just happens to be one of the dimensions where the dialogue/common language is English - as opposed to those where it's Japanese, French, German . . .

Vagrant story in particular has a language called Kildean, with its runes scratched throughout Lea Monde. I always assumed that the country more or less would have its own unique language, with English used for the benefit of the players. If that makes any sense.
    It sort of does - I can think of a couple of settings like that, Zelda included. But it might be overthinking things a bit, since there's usually a Basic/Common language in most settings (the default being English, for our benefit). Clients from another dimension like that might just be surprised that the Works' agents speak their language.

Bah, maybe I'll just say Ashley really does speak faux Shakespeare. Saber understands Ye Olde English and Kurai can puzzle it out himself.
    The player's a Shakespeare fan, and the druid in the gestalt is effectively circa medieval Europe. Unless Ashley's speech is really stilted, Kurai will be fine.

....That's a good point.

It'd be really, really silly, but there's a time and place for that. Perhaps even in a world as depressing as Demon's Souls.
    Or especially then and there.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixAct View Post
    Now I want to see a fic where The Doctor runs across Grail Works.
    Depending on which one, that might be arrangeable.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Grail Works and Final Fantasy VI.

Now there's something else worth making a story of.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle whosaidthat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Phys
    If my math is right...

20* (magic+int)/20 * (magic+int)/20 * (magic+int)/20 * (magic+int) =

[(magic+int)^4]/400
    Fate/Core Hero [Fate Stay Night/???]

Bah trying to make it in a layout similar to Demon Souls. Each Slash represents different types of physical attacks.

Kieran are there Drow in Dragonlance.