Page 309 of 372 FirstFirst ... 209259299304307308309310311314319359 ... LastLast
Results 6,161 to 6,180 of 7423

Thread: The Grail Works Mission Dossier (Discussion & Ideas)

Powered by infinite rage Comartemis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    Hmm... thanks for the information, you guys, I appreciate it a lot.

Now, I would've said something earlier, but I was bone tired and I only a short bit ago woke up. Anyway, what can I say...? Hmm, this sure is ridiculous.

Oh, right! I have a rather interesting idea, namely in terms of how my character can go through the story benefits of "leveling up". Everyone? Meet Han Jee-Han... AKA The Gamer!

...okay, in more serious terms, the base powerset behind Kyou's powers is based around the titular power of The Gamer, only it's more based on Tabletop RPGs, instead of online games as of right now. In short, whenever she levels up (so to speak), there's a specific amount of time when she has to wait before the stat points go up like they do in Tabletop RPGs. In fact, during the first two stories, you'll see that she's going to be going into the "epic" levels of Star Wars Saga Edition (when I have to jury rig the system to allow for it to begin with).

Then again, to compensate for the jury rigging of the system, I'll have to make practically every villain more dangerous than they were in canon according to the Star Wars Saga Edition rules! I really wish that the heroes would have it easier in Star Wars, but, well... I want to tell a good story that has all the challenges a good story should. As they should say, if one makes Frodo a Jedi, give Sauron the Yuuzhan Vong (the aliens who are Force-dead in terms of how it fails to work on them and so on and so forth) on top of the Death Stars and other super weapons the Empire has!
    The big problem with using The Gamer for anything is that I've never seen a fic use game mechanics and not get completely bogged down by them. Ryuugi's The Games We Play over on SB for example turns into an endless loop of level grinding and skill growth and explaining how the skills work together to make bigger numbers and it's just boring as hell. The Gamer itself arguably has this problem too: the first 30-ish chapters is just constant level grinding with no conflict or anything else involved.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    That sounds like an idea that would make GW a lot more confusing for me. I don't know the rules of anything other than 3.5.
    Actually, I was planning to make it so that the story would stay the focus, over the rules and such... if that makes sense.

that said, if you're familiar with The New Jedi Order series and got pissed off at how they started killing off fan-favorites to compensate for lack of writing ability, I have a fanfic you might want to check out.
    Not familiar enough with the NJO timeline, sadly, so I'll have to give that a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    I tend to agree with the above - especially since you'll be jury-rigging the system. Homebrew content tends not to work well . . . There's nothing wrong with using the d20 system to describe the character, of course; you just don't need to get so explicitly meta with it.
    I appreciate the heads up. Nominally, I wouldn't use this method, but I feel that I have to... mainly to keep the heroes from having too much going for them at any one time.

. . . And, if you want an "epic" level system that's probably more compatible with the Star Wars Saga Edition (and definitely better-organized and balanced than D&D's version), might I recommend the Pathfinder mythic system?
    I actually never heard good things about the Mythic System, Kieran... though probably because I never used it myself and listened to the viewpoints of those who did, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
    The big problem with using The Gamer for anything is that I've never seen a fic use game mechanics and not get completely bogged down by them. Ryuugi's The Games We Play over on SB for example turns into an endless loop of level grinding and skill growth and explaining how the skills work together to make bigger numbers and it's just boring as hell. The Gamer itself arguably has this problem too: the first 30-ish chapters is just constant level grinding with no conflict or anything else involved.
    I'm working on fixing that part, believe me. It might be one of the most tricky things out there to do, but I'll pull it off (I think).
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    . . . So I've been working on retooling my SI character back into a Celtic Scion (even if it doesn't seem like I've been doing anything on this front for a while), and something occurred to me this morning: an apparently unwritten Rule of Type-Moon that has two major points of manifestation.

1) Celtic heroes are invariably screwed over. This is not really a problem, as with my SI and style of writing, this would be pretty much be a given anyway . . .

2) They invariably have one diehard (sometimes in the literal sense) fangirl - whether we're talking about Bazett and Cu Chulainn, or Diarmuid and Sola Ui . . . So, on that note: anybody have any candidates they can think of for the second part?
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    Well, you can't have a self-insert character be fangirled over by a canon character, so here's what I propose:
    Write a character based on one of the other male Beast's Lair patrons as a girl.
    I suggest Arashi.

Also, I'm gonna go hide now, because I have this weird feeling like when he sees that he'll kill me.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    I propose Takara.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Xam's suggestion holds more weight actually...

Given that Takara managed to call Kieran Holt from across Dimensions( with Ilya's and Zeltretch's help, true, but imagine what will be the result if she actually wanted to call him...)

who's betting against that?
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

Blog Entries
    Well, you can't have a self-insert character be fangirled over by a canon character, so here's what I propose:
    Write a character based on one of the other male Beast's Lair patrons as a girl.
    I suggest Arashi.

Also, I'm gonna go hide now, because I have this weird feeling like when he sees that he'll kill me.
    . . . I'm sure that once my brain reboots, I might be tempted to - so hiding sounds like a plan.

I propose Takara.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatori View Post
    Xam's suggestion holds more weight actually...

Given that Takara managed to call Kieran Holt from across Dimensions( with Ilya's and Zeltretch's help, true, but imagine what will be the result if she actually wanted to call him...)

who's betting against that?
    . . . Yeah, that could actually work. It's just a question of which Takara - the original "Legacies of Fate" version, the one from the one ending where she was going to go across dimensions looking for him, or an all-new(ish) alternate?

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    I vote for the one with the most potential for humor.

...what? Can't we get humor to go along with the seriousness?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wait, why do you want to kill me? I'll admit, I kind of look like poultry right now, but…
    F/GO Supports

Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    I vote for the one with the most potential for humor.

...what? Can't we get humor to go along with the seriousness?
    That is kind of the point . . .

. . . Mm - means the vanilla "Legacies of Fate" Takara is out, and probably the more standard Grail War variations, too; Takara a la "Prisma Ilya," maybe . . .?

Wait, why do you want to kill me? I'll admit, I kind of look like poultry right now, but…
    Because I immediately pictured feminised versions of Lair Dwellers I know, and - No. Just no.

. . . And lucky you: I avoid poultry, as a rule.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'll, admit that I only suggested it because it seemed absurd, but it seems like you've visited the BL cam thread. I care very little for what the other patrons actually look like, more the image that their personality paints of them.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    Wait... Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Takara?!

Dude, you're evil... and sooo HIRED!! Please, write that!

Blog Entries
    I'll, admit that I only suggested it because it seemed absurd, but it seems like you've visited the BL cam thread.
    Honestly, I had no idea such a thing existed; I just have a too-vivid-for-my-own-good imagination.

I care very little for what the other patrons actually look like, more the image that their personality paints of them.
    Likewise, though obviously I've been reasonably thorough in my own description.

Wait... Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Takara?!
    More or less - though obviously, working out the logistics would take some time and effort. Even if I do Takara at Ilya's age in the series (i.e., 10 or 11), Rin won't be a teenager, and presumably her rivalry with Luvia will be dealt with by then. Then there's the question of the Class Cards - do I use the Fifth Grail War Servants as in canon, the Sixth Grail War ones, or take advantage of Fate/EXTRA and Grand Order to cherry-pick my favourites?

. . . And finally, the rival. I adore Miyu, but a more Tsukihime-oriented one might be nice for Takara to deal with. Shin Tohno's the obvious choice, but there are so many potential options - even my SI, if you think about it . . .

Heck, Mana Ryogi might work, at that!

Dude, you're evil... and sooo HIRED!! Please, write that!
    I'll certainly file it as "under consideration" - if nothing else, it'd be shorter than most of what I do . . . And I do have the first two seasons, so I can work with it, if that makes sense.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    To answer your questions as best as I can, Kieran, take advantage of Fate/EXTRA and Grand Order for your Servants in the Class Cards. As for the rival... we need more Rakkyo. Send in Mana!

Can't help regarding Rin and Luvia, mind, but that's the best I can do.

Blog Entries
    . . . So, I've brought up this character before, several iterations ago - but there's been a development of late where I can actually show her to you:

I think she'd make an interesting foil for my SI, even if she's not a Type-Moon character - she certainly takes after EMIYA Archer in attitude, among other things.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Kieran... I'll give you some feedback when I have the time for it.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Mana Ryougi! Do it! Do it now! Wait… what am I cheering for?…
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure . . . *Blinks* Were you maybe supporting the idea of Mana being the rival if I wrote "Prisma Takara?" That's the only possible mention of her I can think of.

. . . And just to add to the confusion, by the way, I've been looking into Magic: The Gathering of late, and I think Kurai as a newly-ignited Planeswalker might have potential . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    How would it work out for the Grail Works? Just as a matter of curiosity and concern.

Blog Entries
    How would it work out for the Grail Works? Just as a matter of curiosity and concern.
    Since he's both newly-ascended, and following the newer (read: more mortal) template, not much immediately. Essentially, if I'm reading it correctly, he'd be a magical savant capable of learning spells and concepts with astonishing speed - think something akin to Shirou, with magic instead of weapons. He can "mirror" things (including creatures) to summon - if not bond or even create them outright? It's a bit unclear, so far. I really need to track down some of the Magic: The Gathering novels to get an idea of how exactly it's supposed to work outside of cards . . .

Of course, to use any of it, he has to have links to sources of the appropriate Mana - which are not necessarily all that easy to come by. Moreover, he doesn't actually know how to create those, either.

In practical terms, I have a Magic Intro Deck, of the Blue colour. This means that what magic I have available lends itself well to Knowledge, Illusions, Air and Water, and Chronomancy. It's less about direct damage, and more about manipulating the battlefield; counterspells, and the like.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette