Thread: Shattered Heaven

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    夜属 Nightkin

Shattered Heaven

Back again, now digitally remastered! (i.e. I've corrected the paragraph layouts so it is actually readable.)

Each chapter will be a separate post due the difficulty of sticking it in all together.

Prologue:
    Down flights of stairs and along endless corridors, the person ran. His flight was careless and noisy; the slaps of his foot falls and the hisses of his exhalations echoed off the otherwise silent walls. In stark contrast to his storm of movement, the tower block seemed otherwise devoid of light or activity.

But looks can be deceiving, as the person was all too aware of. Somewhere above him, in the hallways he had left behind, a Master and his Servant were tracking and hunting him.

This wasn't how it had meant to have been. He had had a plan to lure his opponent into a trap, a trap that would have eliminated the opposing Servant and left his enemy with no choice but to surrender.

But two fatal oversights had gutted his chance of victory. He had thought their Servants were equally matched, but as soon as the two clashed, it was obvious his opponent's would win a straight out fight.

He could have found a way around this, but his second mistake was trusting his own Servant to have an once of common sense. He didn't know whether it was honor or simply being too stupid to see that she had no hope of winning, but as soon as his opponent had appeared, his Servant had ignored his carefully laid plans and stepped out into full view, challenging the opposing Servant to a head to head fight.

His Servant never got the chance to regret her decision; her challenge was answered by instant obliteration, via the opposing Servant’s Noble Phantasm.

And now he was on the run, desperately trying to escape this building that his enemies had turned into their hunting ground.

He didn’t feel any fear as he ran. The only emotion that mingled with the feeling of blood pounding in his brain was desperate frustration.

He had failed. His opponent was as morally bankrupt as they came. And while the person hadn’t thought about what he would do if he got the Holy Grail, he was sure that whatever his opponent wished for, it would not beneficial or pleasant for anyone.

Rounding a bend in a corridor, the person slid to a stop and pressed himself up against the wall, peering round the corner the way he had come. There was nothing; no metal glinted in the darkness, nothing moved except the dust he had stirred up during his passage, and the only sound was his own anxious breathing.

Closing his eyes and forcing himself to breath slower, he pulled himself together and tried to think out his next move. By his estimation, he descended over half the skyscraper’s levels. If he could just make it down to the ground, he could reach a public area where his opponent wouldn’t risk attacking him. From there, he’d have to head home; it would be utterly humiliating returning as a failure, but given the circumstances, it was his only-

“Going somewhere?”

With a start, the person spun to face the opposite direction. There, barring his retreat, was his opponent. He stood idly in the middle of the corridor, his weight on one leg, a calm smile on his face. The person backed away like a caged animal, his teeth gritted, his mind desperately searching for an avenue of escape. A drop of sweat fell of his brow and fell to the floor.

“I know we’re long time friends, but I’d be lying if I said I was going to make sure this was quick or painless,” his opponent smirked. “Sorry.”

Another face appeared out of the darkness to his opponent's right. In contrast to his opponent’s casual cheer, the emotion that showed on this face was the single minded determination of a hunter – and the barely contained malice of a psychopath.

The person tried to dodge as the Servant lunged forward, but he was nowhere near fast enough.

SHIIIIIING–

“AAARRRGGG-!!!”

The scream was abruptly cut off as the person’s wind pipe lost its connection to his lungs. Then there was a loud, soggy THUMP as he crumpled to the floor.

As he lay on the floor, his life draining into an expanding crimson pool, his opponent regarded him for a second longer before turning away. “Don’t worry, Shinji. You will forever live on as a part of my legacy. Even if it’s a tiny, inconsequential part.”

Unable to move, unable to speak, the person could only watch through glazing-over eyes as his opponent walked off, his Servant striding after him into the darkness.

As the last of his being departed the mortal world, the person prayed to any higher power that was listening that someone stopped this pair of monsters before they reached the Grail.
    Last edited by Tesculpture; March 17th, 2011 at 05:22 AM.
    My contributions to the fanfiction melting pot:
    (not so) Shallow Shirou
    Shattered Heaven
    Shatteraxia - currently up to Part 18

The perils of being distracted by your coworker at the critical moment