Page 253 of 275 FirstFirst ... 153203243248251252253254255258263 ... LastLast
Results 5,041 to 5,060 of 5494

Thread: Jojo's Bizarre Threadventure

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    SBR spoilers
    I very much doubt anyone who developed a Stand through the Ripple would only get a variation of Hermit Purple, considering both Gyro and Johnny developed different Stands when mastering the Spin.
    Spoiler:
    I always interpreted that as Johnny developing a Stand that functioned as the perfect conduit for Spin while Gyro's Ball Breaker was in fact Super Spin manifested, much like how HP is Hamon manifested according to Araki. Also, he never said that the situation with Gyro and Johnny would ever apply to Hamon. In any case, I just feel Hamon leads to a skill-mastery type Stand, and that's HP, especially if Stand users would actually see Hamon as vines wrapped around the user.

One thing I forgot, Johnny developed his Stand slightly before he started really learning Spin, and it basically evolved into something to facilitate his Spin as he got better and learned more secrets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Oh, sorry about that. I figured I was pretty much the only one here who wasn't up to date on the manga. I'll exercise more caution in the future.
    The ones who are up to date are me, Skull, Spoony, and Toa, or at least the regulars who are up to date.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Spoiler:
    I always interpreted that as Johnny developing a Stand that functioned as the perfect conduit for Spin while Gyro's Ball Breaker was in fact Super Spin manifested, much like how HP is Hamon manifested according to Araki. Also, he never said that the situation with Gyro and Johnny would ever apply to Hamon. In any case, I just feel Hamon leads to a skill-mastery type Stand, and that's HP, especially if Stand users would actually see Hamon as vines wrapped around the user.

One thing I forgot, Johnny developed his Stand slightly before he started really learning Spin, and it basically evolved into something to facilitate his Spin as he got better and learned more secrets.
    Though I feel that it raises the question of "what does the manipulation of machines have to do with Hamon?"

----
    As an aside, this conversation about people who awaken their Stands through skill mastery has made me wonder, is the power of Stands completely innate to people or without the meteorite crashing on Earth people wouldn't have Stands? I feel like Part 5 was hinting towards Stands being extra-terrestrial in nature but Araki never went all the way with discussing their origins when talking about the backstory of the Arrow. Perhaps for the better, sometimes things work best when they are mysterious...
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Speaking of being caught up,

Most recent chapter spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    I lol'd at the thing Tohru mentioned Yasuho said in the past, that could potentially be this part's "Do you believe in gravity?" or "I'm gonna punch this spaghetti"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    tfw no Fate/One
    How do I get into type moon.

watch prisma illya. If your amused or aroused, keep going.

if you are disconcerted or want to call the FBI, run away
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    Curse those 15 year old girls *shakes fist angrily*

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Though I feel that it raises the question of "what does the manipulation of machines have to do with Hamon?"

----
    As an aside, this conversation about people who awaken their Stands through skill mastery has made me wonder, is the power of Stands completely innate to people or without the meteorite crashing on Earth people wouldn't have Stands? I feel like Part 5 was hinting towards Stands being extra-terrestrial in nature but Araki never went all the way with discussing their origins when talking about the backstory of the Arrow. Perhaps for the better, sometimes things work best when they are mysterious...
    I feel like Stand power is innate and the arrow/virus just helps draw it out. Basically, when someone's infected with the virus their latent psychic abilities are forcibly awakened. If they have enough will to control their powers they gain a Stand, if not they just die. That would fit with the various characters who were either born with their Stands or developed them through non-arrow related means.

And I agree with you that some things are better when they're left mysterious. That's why the 'Midichlorians' explanation for The Force in Star Wars was so loathed they ended having to retcon it...

Blog Entries
    And I agree with you that some things are better when they're left mysterious. That's why the 'Midichlorians' explanation for The Force in Star Wars was so loathed they ended having to retcon it...
    ???

They haven't retconned Midichlorians to my knowledge? But that is a discussion for a different thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post

----
    Most of the machine manipulation has to do with clairvoyance, but yeah, that is an odd power. Probably something to do with bioelectricity. I dunno.

As for Stands, I feel they actually are something innate towards the souls of Earthlings because I'm pretty sure the meteorite only crashed onto Earth because the virus was attracted to the spiritual potential of life on Earth. So, I think there are both innate and extraterrestrial origins for Stands, not just one or the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    Speaking of being caught up,

Most recent chapter spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    I lol'd at the thing Tohru mentioned Yasuho said in the past, that could potentially be this part's "Do you believe in gravity?" or "I'm gonna punch this spaghetti"
    Spoiler:
    Lol yeah, Toru got super clingy this chapter, and I actually lol'd at his lightning power idea because I actually thought that would be a good idea when I was younger. Still not sure if he's a rock human or not, though.

As for previous chapters, Joubin plays no games, and we saw it in how he ruthlessly and efficiently disposed of both Sasame and his girlfriend, and finally, is there ANY way to get the upper hand on Akefu Satoru if even the intent to pursue triggers it's collision effect?

Anyone else think Phantom Blood would be a good kid's bedtime story? It's got all the hits of a good one: simple, moralistic plot, characters who clearly align with good and evil, fast pace, a rather fairy tail feel.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Also horrific gore and the villain winning. Or at least a draw if you take it stand alone.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Eh, plenty of Grimm's fairy tales and Hans Christian Anderson tales have both. Also, the hero flings a light into the future with his sacrifice.

Blog Entries
    Now that this thread's been revived a bit, anyone excited for the part 5 dub? I've already seen the show obviously, but I might check out parts just to see how certain characters and moments (like Ghiaccio's epic rant) sound.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    No.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Ehh, I didn't even bother finishing Part 5 in JPN so I can't see myself checking out the dub.

Now that this thread's been revived a bit, anyone excited for the part 5 dub? I've already seen the show obviously, but I might check out parts just to see how certain characters and moments (like Ghiaccio's epic rant) sound.
    Heavens no. I am a subs over dubs guy, AND JoJo just isn't the same without the ENGRISH and the all-star Japanese cast.

Blog Entries
    Are you guys ready to go for a r- oh wait, I made that joke last time though.

How might we be able to watch? My body is ready.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    How might we be able to watch? My body is ready.
    I dunno, I'm a good child who doesn't pirate so my answer is "not at all".

Guess it's time for me to shed the goody two-shoes lifestyle. Rohan-sensei calls.

- - - Updated - - -

I REJECT MY HUMANITY!!!

Blog Entries
    So I know I've recced fancomics and the like here in the past which is maybe not what this thread is intended for, but I've been reading this really good Doppio-centric fic called Being No One, Going Nowhere』 lately and can't help but want to talk about it a bit. It's an AU fic where Diavolo "dies"/mysteriously disappears (what exactly happened to him is left vague and is one of the story's biggest mysteries so far) during his confrontation with Bruno in the charnel house, and Doppio is left behind as the dominant personality. The gang then takes Doppio in- thinking he's one of Diavolo's bastards like Trish- and then go on the run trying to figure out what the hell is going on, while dealing with other opportunistic gangsters looking to fill the void left by the Boss's supposed death.

The summary may not sound that impressive but the highlight is how well it portrays Doppio's personality. From being a gangster with a weird quirk, it fleshes him out into someone with his own believable neuroses, passions, fears, and conviction. His relationship/borderline obsession with the Boss is detailed in a way that really shows what it'd be like from Doppio's perspective to get all his sense of self-worth from a mysterious voice on a telephone that he's never once seen. Of course, now that "the Boss" has disappeared and he's forced to rely on a bunch of "traitors" for protection Doppio is really thrown for a loop mentally, which gives the chance for his character to grow in a lot of fascinating ways. As someone who liked Doppio but never really thought that deeply about him in canon, this fic has really shaped how I imagine the character.

Combined that with some great prose that can handle both comedy and pathos extremely well (seriously the comic scenes can be outright gutbusting at times, and the banter between Bucciarati's gang is both hilarious and perfectly in-character), and Stand fights that manage to pretty accurately do justice to the ones in canon- with all the fighters using their abilities in clever ways to try and outsmart each other instead of a simple punch-out- and you've got a recipe for one top-notch fic. Seriously, I'd say this is easily the best JoJo fic I've ever read. It's just that good.

If you liked Doppio in canon or just want a fic that explores the world of our favorite gangstars from a new and interesting angle, I suggest you definitely do yourself a favor and check this one out.

Blog Entries
    Hmm...I've run out of running jokes for this OVA so I'll just slide this final trailer in here and leave.