Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alquinaissance (IC)

Blog Entries

Alquinaissance (IC)

Spoiler:
    You flow in a floating world, where clouds swirl about.
    Something ethereal passes through you…
    …Or did you pass through something ethereal?

The pace of things stand still, and nothing moves at all. You are alone. You are not alone.

Everything stops, everything is an illusion.

…then, suddenly, a bubble rises.
    It is no mere bubble. It is the start of something different, a change that will shake the world or destroy it utterly. Or perhaps it is a pearl of an event horizon that will sweep us all away.

More will follow.
    More do follow.

Your skin is the first that gains any sense of sense. You float under pressure, yet aimlessly. Next are your ears, as you hear the first bubble rise. It heralds your coming. Your lips taste the sweet, tangy iron of chemical liquid, many times more powerful than blood at what it does. Your eyes, the last to open, behold you to the world that waits.

You are in a glowing, fluorescent turquoise tube. It is larger than you by several times, enough to allow you to float aimlessly. But you will not… or rather, you cannot. Your muscles are just grown. Your cells have only been alive a few scant seconds longer than you have been awake…

…but wait! That’s not right!

You remember yourself, sitting in front of a computer screen, surfing the internet and checking out forums. Such a science fiction setting should not exist! Are you in a dream…?

You cannot see passed the glass of the tube, but you can hear some kind of static. There is a screen in the center of the room, just before you. It is shaking and fuzzy, you cannot see what it on there. But you can hear it well enough.

“…My… Children…” The static-filled voice calls from the other side of the mirror-like glass. It is filled with sorrow, the stuff of unfulfilled dreams. “…My… Children… I give you… Life! Live…! Live!”

The voice shudders as the room shakes. Sounds of explosions and eldritch things tell you that a battle is going on above you, around you, and below you. More bubbles flow around you…

…the liquid that holds you to this cell is slowly draining from the tube. Your lips twitch, as your body gains more and more strength.

I have… done some… terrible… stolen…” The voice is now broken. Its words are slowly fading. The screen dims and grows dark. But the message keeps going. Your eyes unfocus as a memory of the past, not your memory, filters through your mind. You see the man; it is a white haired, red-eyed man who looks as if he has not has sleep in decades, starting at you hopelessly.

“Day 167,” the tired man muttered, his eyes growing dim. He looked like a man who had given up all hopes of living, “I don’t want to run anymore. It was a fool’s hope, for me to have escaped… Acht…” He spat the name like a curse and as if merely saying it would cause his mouth to fill with acid.

He placed a hand on glass. You cannot see through the fog of memory, but you realize that this glass is the same glass that holds you. There is something forlorn on his face. He seems lost in thought. “Aye… stealing half of the Einzbern’s Magic Crest!” He cried to the heavens, “I was a fool! You were right, grandfather! But I stole your precious Crest! And now… and now, I will die? I don’t want to face death like this.”

Suddenly, he turned to you!

“Hear me, my children!” His eyes rolled to the back of his head and his voice filled with a crazed insanity that could only be found in dead men, “I give you each a piece of the legacy of the Einzbern! I… I make you my legacy! Through some Mystery of the Third, I give you full souls!”

Then he began to laugh. Have you ever seen Mark Hamill’s the Joker? The cartoon version found in the animated Batman; have you ever heard that laughter? Now imagine it, in a chorus of ninety, echoing through all parts of your mind. Now imagine it as the laughing man’s eyes began to leak blood, and red bubbles began to foam out of his lips. Now imagine it as his skin began to crawl off his body…

“Live! Live and thrive!” He cried, “But beware…! The whole world’s against you!”

Suddenly, you are back.

You are back in your body. No, this isn’t your body, but now it is your body. But you are back nevertheless.

The glass tank drains of the last of its liquids and you fall to its bottom. There, you knelt as the whole building shook again and again. You could barely breathe, let alone break out. Your life will probably end soon too. You knew those names. Einzbern. You know what happens when someone crosses such an old and powerful family… right? Even if he were a member of the family…

But you are not dead yet.

The glass lowers and disappears. As you crawled out of there, cold and starving, you saw through the corners of your eyes, four others just like you. You could have been twins, not quintuplets! Each of you had the same look, with the same red marks of a powerful magic crest etched into you…

Each of you had the same features as the Rogue Einzbern who created your bodies, well, as close as you could imagine yourselves to be at that age. The only relevant reference you had was, you would be the youngest form of Ilyasviel von Einzbern… if she were whatever gender you were.

The chamber you are in, a small place that seemed to be the center of a bunker, shook again. Dust fell from the ceiling as the sounds of battle subsided. Moments later, two powerful looking stone golems stumbled into the chamber, before collapsing, having fulfilled their duties of protecting you long enough until your birth or rebirth.

With everyone out and against you, can you survive, defeat the Einzbern, and be recognized as the inheritors of all that is Einzbern?

OOC Thread

Players:

1. Alfheimwanderer
    2. Brynhilde
    3. Blackdeath6031
    4. LeopardBear
    5. Deviatesfish

Current Situation

Time: Week 2 (date unknown)

Location: Old Soviet Bunker, Somewhere, Some Country, Some Continent, Gaia

Community Population: 7
    Community:
    The Rogue's Children (5), War-Golems (2)

Community Skills:

Magic Circuits: Rank F (Very Low Output)
    Wishcraft: Rank F (Requires All 5 To Do Anything)

Community Stats: None

Resources: None

Allies: None

Inventory:

Old Books (Several),
    Record of The Rogue's Children (1),
    Common Knowledge My Children Should Know (1),
    Tome of Healing Magic (1),
    How to Repair Homunculi (1),

Files (Dozens),
    Mercenary Groups Files (Few),
    Mercenary Files (Few),
    File on Emiya Kiritsugu (1),
    Document on Emiya Kiritsugu (1),

Dead War-Golem (3),
    Pile of Dead Mercenaries (1),
    Handguns (3),
    Sniper Rifle (1),
    Mounted Gatling (2),
    SMG (2),
    AK-74 (1),
    AK-47 (2),
    Giant Pile of Ammunition (1),
    Giant Pile of Grenades (1),
    Giant Box of Ammunition (2),
    Mystic Code: Obsidian Knife (1),
    Unidentified Mystic Code (1),

Misc. Fruits (Few),
    MREs (Few),
    Medikits (Few),

Individual Stats

Alfheimwanderer
    Homunculus Name: Skadi
    Homunculus Age: One Week

Magic Circuits: Unknown
    Magic Circuit Output: Unknown
    Magic Crest: 10% of Einzbern Crest

Knowledge (Supernatural):
    (Homunculus): (F-)
    (Human Organizations): (F-)

Skills (Supernatural):
    (Knife): (F)

Strength: Child
    Stamina: Young Child
    Intelligence: Young Child
    Dexterity: Child

Brynhilde
    Homunculus Name: Verdandi

Skills (Supernatural):
    (Mundane Guns): (F)

Blackdeath6031
    Homunculus Name: Loki

Knowledge (Supernatural): None

Skills (Supernatural):

LeopardBear
    Homunculus Name: Chryse

Skills (Supernatural):

Deviatesfish
    Homunculus Name: Luna

Skills (Supernatural):

Last edited by deviatesfish; December 26th, 2011 at 04:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Brynhilde
    Homunculus Name: Verdandi

"This is... not... happening!"

My voice rasps through my throat. Every breath and gasp is ten times more painful than the last. I am cold, not only in the body, but also in my core. My flesh shivers while my heart trembls, from the chill, from the anger, from the injustice. My numb, senseless fingers reach out, and contract, clawing at the rock-hard ground beneath me. A worm. I feel like a worm crawling along the ground, not human, not even sentient. Out of desperation and rage, I smack my palm against the ground as hard as I can, to convince me this is not real, that the last freakish minutes were only a fragment of my imagination.

Dust falls on my head as the ceiling keeps shaking. Sound of slaughter and death seep into my ears as the events outside the door continues on. Long blonde hair, so long and velvety that I would have considered to be elegant and demure if I am in a better mood, dangles before my eyes and drapes along my back. No. It is not even my own body. The pallid hands that I current behold should not be mine to begin with. A cruel joke. A damn cruel joke.

Einsbern? Homunculus? I grimace, uncaring about marring the beautiful visage that all Einsbern women seem to bear. The ground surrounding me is wet from the water that had held my body within that tube, flowing slowly and thickly away from its source like ruptured amniotic fluid, its perfection and sanctity ruined in order to give birth. Following the trail of the fluid, I glimpse four others like me, souls who had just being 'born' - no, that's incorrect, 'caged' - into this world, this body, this insanity.

I crawl away, away from these other four monsters. I am a human, not some Einsbern homunculus who are born to bear the Grail like a corrputed womb, a sacrifical flower. Shuffling to hide myself the best I can behind the container that had held my flesh, I peek out at the four others with enmity.

Blog Entries
    Leopard
    Chryse
    Female

I retch like a cat, vomiting thick liquid out of my lungs. Flop. I can't make this body work. Limbs refuse to work. Fingers cannot grasp. Cannot grip the cold slate of the ground. Eyes... my eyes refuse to focus. I can't see. I can't see the room. Only the freezing floor. I reach another hand in front of me to pull myself to... to where? Where am I trying to go? No, I'm not going anywhere. It's just the only thing I can do. The only meaning I can give my life now. Just another foot.

And as I reach out, I notice blue patterns carved in my skin, gleaming ice carved in Celtic patterns. What am I? Perhaps...

No. Nothing. I cannot force those signs to do anything. My mind, my body... too pathetic to force some kind of action.

The door opens, massive stone creatures coming stumbling in. The danger does not register to me: give me something, anything! I reach my tiny hand out to them, pleading. "Help me!"

...and they fall apart. My hand collapses to the ground with them. "Help me."
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blackdeath6031's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Blackdeath6031
    Homunculus Name:
    Loki

cough. coughcough
    hack choke cough

Hearing, feeling what the doctors would tell me was a 'dry cough', I fall onto all fours.

Cold. It was cold.
    It was cold and wet.
    But my throat. It felt both cold and wet and hot and dry.

The burning, nauseating sensation of being suffocated.
    The cold, wet touch of the floor.
    The dry air which was running through my nose, tearing through my parched windpipe and nostrils.
    The numbing, deafening, yet thunderous sensation of the whole world shaking - ready to collapse above and below me.
    The warm, strangely comfortable feeling of being starved.
    The awkward, uncomfortable feeling of vomiting.

"This is... not... happening!"

"Help me!"
    "Help me."

Two voices - eerily identical yet originating from two different sources - both rasping out cries of agony, disbelief and fear.

To cry out. How human of these people.

However, if they were anything like me, they would be short on air.
    So crying, regardless of motive, was perhaps one of the worst ideas.
    Opening my mouth, I try to take deep breaths.

But was interrupted trying to inhale the first one.

Cold, dry.
    Musty and dusty.

The inhaled air felt like it made whatever moisture was left in my throat just vanish.
    And the dried up Sahara of my throat felt like it had been lacerated - no, torn off by the force of the air.

'Kamaitachi' would be an understatement.

Involuntarily, once more, I let out a barrage of coughs. Releasing more air than I had wanted.
    With each cough I emptied my lungs.
    With each time my lungs emptied, I inhaled again.
    With each inhale my throat was tortured by my own devices.
    And each time it was tortured, tickled by the prickly pain of the dead air and the burning sensation of coming into contact with dust, I couldn't help but to cough.

The endless cycle continued on. And on. And on.
    Soon, I expected it to become punctuated by ejection of phlegm, or less often regurgitating bile and other stomach fluid.
    Or so my stomach signalled. But nothing ever came.

Each time, pain shot through my chest, and my stomach felt like it was finally going to hurl.
    Only to betray my expectations once more.

Ah, I couldn't help but wonder, when would this endless cycle end?
    When would I finally be reprived of this?

Soon I begin to expect seeing blood.
    Once again, my senses betrayed me.

But I lacked the ability to move away, to attempt to control my body. My arms were numb.
    And soon, I collapsed onto the cold, wet ground.

Only then, did I realise that I felt a very strange sensation.
    It was both familiar, yet unfamiliar.
    The feeling of being hooked - perhaps unwillingly - to a corporeal shell.

However, the feeling was different.
    Perhaps this is how it feels to be trapped in an artificial human?
    Or was this merely because it was a different host to my usual one?

I could no longer tell.

All I could do,
    Was to let my defeated body and humiliated spirit move to the machinations of those above.

Blog Entries
    Devatesfish
    Homunculus Name: Luna
    Female

...I am in...

I wanted to laugh! Why... why so depressed?

But instead of laughing, I coughed. My body shook, as it rejected the last of the goop that gave birth to me. It tasted like blood. It was probably nutritious, but I could only think of spitting it out. If I had any bile in my body, it would have came out too.

I fell to my knees, rolling out of the tube.

Ah...

It's hard to breathe...

My body doesn't know how to breathe? It needs to be taught, to be told, to even function...? What a design flaw!

I gasped and croaked, "...heaa... heaa..."

I tried to crawl forward, but but the short distance that I moved already caused me to be fatigued and wheezing.

"Y-you guys... suck..." I wheezed out. They are so depressing. "I...

...I could really use... some vanilla ice cream right now," I blushed. My tummy rumbled. Ah. I wonder what we have for... lunch? Dinner?

Ew, green goo is leaking from my mouth...!

Side Quest: Wiggle my big toe.

Blog Entries
    Verdandi

As you hide behind the container, another War Golem with distinctive Einzbern markings stumble in. It stops before you, and before you could react, it falls.

Luckily, it fell forward, which was just centimeters away from where you sat. But its weight broke what's left of the container, causing shattered pieces of metal and glass to fall everywhere.

You shiver as several pieces of metal hit your delicate skin, causing thin, red lines to appear before several drops of blood leaked out. You were cold and now you are hurt too.

Chryse

You reached out, and by some miracle, one of the worn out golems heard your call. It moved to you and cradled you into its arms like a bride, but did nothing else.

Its eyes flickered and dimmed as its internal energy waned. It seems to be awaiting further orders.

The golem is a thing of stone and steel, over two meters tall and tough like a mountain. Its skin causes some abrasions, but nothing too terrible. In its carry, you can see the circular chamber for what it was. Five containers lined the walls, from where you were born. At the center of the room was a desk covered in old, dusty tomes and several thick packets of papers bound in files. The room is lit dimly by a green light, but it is flickering. There is barely any energy left.

Loki

As you fall to your knees, you see a war golem walk in, before crashing down next to one of your kin. You are kin now. Another comes and picks up the girl beside you. Is it wrong that your eyes flickered to their girl parts? Well, how else would you be able to tell that they are girls?

Another homunculus on the other side of you falls to the floor and groans something like 'you guys suck' and 'I want ice cream'.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    AlfheimWanderer
    Homunculus Name: Skadi

There are many things that I've come to expect in life. Being screwed over by the whims of fate, waking up to excruciating pain (emotional, mental, or physical) and nausea, finding that the world has become very, very large and very, very cold, and collapsing from delirium and and exhaustion - all these things and more, really. But then, my life has been full of extremes of fortune and experience from the time I was but an infant, mewling and puking in my mother's arms, till the present day, where I jested of my agedness, sighing like a furnace as I pondered wise saws and modern instances. I'd been exposed to death and suffering since the time I was but a child, after all, and dealing with things beyond the veil that most mortals feared to even comprehend.

Even so, I didn't expect to be hit by a combination of all these things in terrifying intensity, senses whiting out before a deluge of input and static that made me want to scream--except I had no air, so I couldn't. I was surrounded by liquid, gagging, feeble too-pale arms batting at a cage of glass for escape as the heart raced, every beat a stab of crushing pain...

AIR.

...and then with a jerk, I am released into the world.

Cold. Cold. COLD. CoLD. Death. Life. The spiral. COlD. COLD. Cold. ...

I hear nothing. The world has gone quiet, save for a ringing white noise that drowns out everything. The whining of every nerve firing at once, reducing my movements to spasms. The thudding of the heart as it beats all too fast, almost burning out, falling into fibrillation.

...Drip-Drip-Drip. Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

In the darkness, constant repetitive sound can be therapeutic, or maddening. Steady rhythms in a moist concrete cell, with no source of light, not even the door. No, wait. There was something, a low and steady flickering with a sometimes crackle-cackle-whoosh of torches steeped in petrol. Laughter, quiet mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip-Drip-Drip.
    Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

Pain, old but not healing, wounds of battle left to fester and burn. Fever sometimes, delirium at others, but no treatment, no drugs, no morphine. Pain from cat-o-nine tails, pain from lash, pain from chains of silver-steel, manacles raw and chafing at the wrists. Headache, upset stomach, sore throat, congestion. Hunger, gnawing, groaning, gaping. Insides burning, writhing, try to moan but mouth too dry to speak.

Laughter, quiet mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip-Drip-Drip.
    Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

Smell, gunpowder, smoke. Smell, fire, fresh petrol. Smell, sickly sweet, death. Smell, sweat, fear. Smell, farmland, resist, poison. Smell, chlorine water, hold breath. Exhale. In—no, must resist—fail. Searing, lungs, blister, collapse-but-chains confining. Ribs confining, throat constricting, choking—crack! Crack! Crack! Pain, shooting pain, erupting. Bowels erupting, pressure building, retching lungs as blood goes plop plop plop on floor, gagging but cannot vomit- nothing to throw up-no offering for the granite god of caves laughing his ass off. Laughter, quiet mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip-Drip-Drip.
    Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

Drowning, no air, cut off. Coughing, oxygen, greed. Ribs crack, crack, crack, fracture. Can’t breathe. Can’t hold on. Resistance, futile. World, fading. Self, fading. Life, fading. Who. What. Where. When. How. Why? Why? Why? No answer. Darkness, closing, no, already, here. Laughter, quiet mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip-Drip-Drip.
    Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

Light. Glaring, blinding, light. Smell, meat, tantalizing. Gone. Darkness, water, self-excretion. Smell, feces, gagging. Howling, ringing, flailing, ripping. Ears, hurting, body failing. MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOP. No. Impact, nail, cat o nine. Freezing, burning, freezing, which? Laughter, mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip-Drip-Drip.
    Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

Fire, ghastly, fire. Water, cutting, water, toxic. Badger, badger, mushroom, mushroom. Snake. Solid, liquid, snake. Splinter, lodging, deep. Cutting, scything, slashing. Reaping. Never. Spit in face. Piss, tattered, remnant. Edge, sharp, silent scream. No, never, will not. Laughter, mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip. Drip...EINZBERN. HOMUNCULUS.

...what?
    > First Time Initialization: Begin
    > Unit Designation: Skadi
    > Unit Classification: Nike (Modified Justica-class)
    > Unit Gender: Female
    > Development Time: One Week
    > Skills: Not Implanted
    > Soul: Loading in progress. Working...working...complete.
    > Initialization COMPLETE

A jolt.

Lightning crackles down every nerve, down every vein, every circuit - everything whites out, goes still. The world shatters, and is reformed.

I come to in a cavern - a bunker - in a puddle of fluid, as a newly fledged homunculus, pale and cold and small. An immature homunculus without ability, barely able to hold my form together on my own. My skin is cold. My heart is cold. I feel as if I have been immersed into a frozen ocean on an Arctic night, without even the fading heat of my body to rely on. I can't feel it. I can't feel anything as I tremble, as I want to scream but still can't find the air, only able to whimper and shiver in place.

This body...it isn't mine. This isn't mine but it is mine, and so - what the hell? Honestly?

I'm not coordinated. I don't have the motor control I'm used to. The strength. The coordination. The precision.

My mind...its like I'm interfacing with what I know through a 9600 baud modem, or perhaps thinking and moving through molasses. Constrained. Like its still in that tube of viscous fluids.

Caged. I'm in a damn cage of flesh, with everything I was reduced to second childishness and mere oblivion, sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything (well, at least for a while).

And to add insult to injury, dust is falling on my head, and the world is shaking, with great moving statues - golems.

Neither am I alone, as four others are with me. One male. Three female.

Einzbern.

Rogue Einzbern, at that, with each of our forms marred by the scar of a partial crest.

I feel sick.

And somehow, I knew this wasn't just a dream. A very, very, bad dream as I look at the others and their folly, managing only to croak as I look up at the sky.

"What matters now our creative endless toil? When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?"

...yes. Faust seemed appropriate about now.

Sidequest: Determine if it is safe to go outside.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 19th, 2011 at 06:34 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Luna

Unfortunately, for all their purported magical strength, homunculi were quite weak as life forms, especially without the knowledge that was supposed to be programmed into them. Development had been ended to soon, and you were but a child - a poor pathetic worm of a being who could hardly even breathe, hardly move, hardly speak.

Your strength is all but gone. Your body has no heat with which to sustain itself, and little prana as a substitute.

No. Even if you had prana, it would be next to useless, as you don't know how to use it quite yet.

The ceiling rumbles - dust, grey and colourless, rains down upon you.

Side Quest: Wiggle my big toe.
    Still, at least you manage to wiggle your big toe.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Loki

Strange constructions entered the room. If I had not known already that this was the Nasuverse, I'd have begun calling them Than golems - for which I curse Magic the Gathering novels. It appears as though one of them was interacting with another one of my...'kin', as it appears we are now. From what I could tell, it appears as though it is taking orders from us. Which could prove an interesting thing to try.

Noticing that four other figures in the room were all female - and naked to boot, I feel a rush of anxiety, anticipated and awkwardness.
    There was no doubt that, despite being on the floor, numb and incapable of controlling my body, that the organ in between my legs was beginning to react.

I cursed myself mentally, labelling myself a lolicon and a pedophile. Had I control of this shell, I'd have released a sigh and attempt to hide that reaction, which - apart from my awkward pose - was public for all to see.
    Surprisingly - or perhaps unsurprisingly, it did not react as much as it normally would.
    Once again, I wish I could sigh.

"You guys suck.
    "

But one of the others began to speak. Honestly, someone who spoke like that would cause me to be rather apprehensive of that person. First impressions and all, after all (but who am I to say anything, after my perverse reaction?).
    Its people like these which I tend to place on my gray - or occasionally black - list.

However...

"I want ice cream."

That made me think of a person who acted the very same way, yet was one whom I could undoubtedly call a friend, and perhaps in some cases a mentor of sorts.
    I smile, trying to stifle my joyous laughter as I remember the....heck, I lack enough knowledge to label them a 'guy' or a 'girl'.
    I guess that's what happens over the net, huh.
    Regardless, I mentally remove the person off my 'to be avoided' list and respond to him, now that my breath was back (though the smell of blood was definitely present).
    "Hah. If we all happen to survive and I have the means to, I'd be glad to buy you some."

....hold on. Five containers. Five of us, four women (or at least four with female containers) and me.
    ....This could get.....rather awkward.
    And problematic.

Sidequest: Observe how the golems interact with the other homunculi

Blog Entries
    Loki

Only two Golems seem to react to homunculi stimuli. That is, when a homunculus speaks, those two, who still have a blue spark of life in their eyes, turn their heads ever so slightly towards the homunculus who spoke. If the homunculus issued a command then the Golem will carry out the simplest interpretation of the command. At least... that's what you see.

Blog Entries
    Chryse

You reached out, and by some miracle, one of the worn out golems heard your call. It moved to you and cradled you into its arms like a bride, but did nothing else.
    "Hello." The golem's action is strange, but it was welcome. I did not have the strength to stand otherwise. Hmmm. That table... documents? Possibly... could it tell us why we are here? I gesture with my hand, attempting to convey to the golem "go over there."

Sidequest: Ride the golem to the documents, and pick them up.
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Chryse

Sidequest: Ride the golem to the documents, and pick them up.
    The golem takes you to the desk piled with papers. You don't know what to pick, so you take the first one you see. It is a document written in German or some other language you should not know. But you can understand every word of it... as if its knowledge has always been a part of you. The document that you picked up on random turns out to be a report on the progress of homunculus growth.

You have some suspicions that this is a report on your growth from when you are a fetus to how you are now. There are many areas that you cannot understand, but you can see several parts very clearly: the part when the magic crest is transfer to you, the part when you are altered beyond what could be considered human, and the part where you are each implanted or born with... some kind of furnace for prana inside your bodies. There are notes at the end about how to use prana to activate the engine within you to create more.

There are also some doodles at the side, because apparently Rogue Einzbern only made these records based on the habits forced upon him by his teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by alfheimwanderer View Post

Skadi

Sidequest: Determine if it is safe to go outside.
    You stumble out of your container, and walk shakily out of one of the two doors out of the chamber. The one you took has air flowing in, and you are lucky it almost directly takes you to the surface. When you get up there and outside of the bunker, you see a battlefield...

There are destroyed golem pieces everywhere. Several are halved, so you could actually see the power core within. It is some kind of blue crystal infused with energy. There is also a pile of bodies here, in the middle of a clearing. They are the corpses of mercenaries. Everything seems quiet...

There must be at least thirty dead mercenaries, and almost all of them being magi too, since you only see staves and other strange devices, rather than traditional guns and other types of mundane weaponry.

Just as you think everything is quiet, a ragged, worn out man stumbled out into the clearing, yelling, "W-wait, wait! I surrender! N-no money is worth this! P-please I'll tell you--"

Before he could finish his sentence, a war golem appeared behind him faster than its large body belied. Then, with a single fist, it smashed down upon the man's head, through his torso and ending at his pelvis. With another flick of its arm, the golem tosses the man into the pile. Then it turns to you attentively, though you can see that it's on the last leg of its life, as its eyes are so dim, you could barely see any light in them at all.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Skadi

And so I stumble onto a scene of death, a plain of corpses as far as the eye can see.

It is a wasteland, probably somewhere in the steppes or worse, Siberia - a broken battlefield strewn with bodies of about a score and a half mercenaries - and the pieces of many more. Bone, sinew, torn clothing, weapons...all is drowned out by a sea of blood, whose overwhelming stench of iron and fear seared its way into my still fuzzy senses. Faces. Faces. Faces. So many faces - crushed, smashed, torn to shreds, with sightless eyes and empty sockets gazing in horror at the sight of certain oblivion.

Limbs - arms and legs - were severed, with a crimson mist spreading above as echoes of clashing metal and stricken screams linger in the evening air, with twilight from beyond the horizon providing this place with a strange illumination, part opaqued by smoke and embers coming from the ground itself.

It looks...beautiful Such destruction, such violence, like flowers of evil blooming in this most desolate plain...

"Ha...haha...hahaha..."

Laughter. Some sound from the horizon. A sound of life mixing with the sizzle-flash-rumble of destruction. Who? Who is laughing?

'Haha...ah, I see...hahahahaha...it is I who laughs!'

I don't know why. I don't know how, but somehow I found the energy, despite the overwhelming cascade of thoughts and emotions washing over me. Dissonance...cognitive dissonance. That had to be it...

And for some reason, at the sight of blood, I was extremely thirsty. Was it because of the tension or the excitement...or the darkness? The burning in my throat is incredibly hot. This place is filled with death and my lips curl into a smile. Barely suppressing my ecstasy, I continue to stare at the corpses...feeling that just at this instant, I am alive.

Sizzle-Flash! Rumble…

Yes. I am alive, unlike the man that pled for mercy, unlike those magi who tried to kill us all. Unlike those broken scraps of metal, ceramic and glass that were once golems. And by the law of the Nasuverse's moonlit world, Kill or be killed, the only law that mattered, I had killed.

'Ha...hahaha...haha...so if my hands are stained with blood...then I will wade through an ocean! What is another life when I am already a murderer? To live, one must do evil - must deny others life and liberty - that is the truth of the world - the only truth that matters. And I. WILL. NOT. DIE!'

I look at the war golem standing next to me.

"Take me to your destroyed brethren," I utter, weakly but imperiously, focusing my will as much as I can.

Sidequest: Absorb prana from power cores of destroyed golems. Command war golem to absorb what prana is left afterwards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deviatesfish View Post
    The golem takes you to the desk piled with papers. You don't know what to pick, so you take the first one you see. It is a document written in German or some other language you should not know. But you can understand every word of it... as if its knowledge has always been a part of you. The document that you picked up on random turns out to be a report on the progress of homunculus growth.

You have some suspicions that this is a report on your growth from when you are a fetus to how you are now. There are many areas that you cannot understand, but you can see several parts very clearly: the part when the magic crest is transfer to you, the part when you are altered beyond what could be considered human, and the part where you are each implanted or born with... some kind of furnace for prana inside your bodies. There are notes at the end about how to use prana to activate the engine within you to create more.

There are also some doodles at the side, because apparently Rogue Einzbern only made these records based on the habits forced upon him by his teachers.
    Minisidequest: try and speedread the documents, and figure out what the heck is going on.

Blog Entries
    Luna

...Ah... I want get carried around too! But... the other golems don't look like they are working...

Side Quest: Look for Something to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Chryse

Minisidequest: try and speedread the documents, and figure out what the heck is going on.
    You shift through the documents and learn more about your origins.

You are a special type of Homunculus that Rogue Einzbern put all his resources into making, and perhaps even most of his body and soul. He had stolen materials from the Einzbern Stronghold, of the still growing Irisviel Model, used for a template for you to grow from. You are to grow about half as quickly as regular humans, which should also reduce your soul deterioration by the same amount, due to his calculation. These are just projections however, so nothing is certain. However, if he is correct, you could easily live up to five hundred years without doing anything outside of the mundane.

Other than the Irisviel Template he used to make you, he infused you with a piece of his own soul, which is being integrated into your body. But it has been expected to interfere with the knowledge inherited by the Irisviel Model, thus all you have are their combined ability for their language thus far. He has tried to instill in you with the power of Einzbern magi, of both physical strength and magical strength, but there was only so much he could do as one person.

...In fact, you could say that you are imperfect, failure homunculi, because you are neither as strong as the strongest Einbzern nor do you have the capacity for magecraft as models like Ilyasviel. This is however, due to the human quality that you have inherited from your soul. You are expected to actually grow... but how much, he did not say.

you shift through some other documents and notice a thick folder full of dangerous looking people, labeled 'Enemies'. Apparently there are a lot of people you will be expecting sooner or later.

Skadi

Sidequest: Absorb prana from power cores of destroyed golems. Command war golem to absorb what prana is left afterwards.
    The War Golem hears and obeys, stomping through the harsh weather with you in its arms. It carries you to the first of its broken brethren, another Golem that had only its legs and torso... everything from the chest and up was melted into black slag. The smell assaults your nose, a strong smell of sulfur and ash and iron. It seems like your senses are greater than anything a human can be capable of, because you could actually tell apart what materials the Golem was made of, though you couldn't label them all by smell alone.

It was a powerful fire spell that destroyed this one, to have melted even part of its core to some kind of watery glass.

The Golem that carried you opened its mouth and bit down on the crystal. The bright baby-blue light that shone in the crystal left and surged into the Golem's mouth, leaving only something that looked like broken quartz. The Golem did this with one more destroyed Golem, leaving still two more broken Golem remains, but it seemed like it was at its full capacity. its eyes were bright enough to be small flashlights and it stood, holding you in this cold tundra, waiting for further orders.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Luna

Side Quest: Look for Something to wear.
    The room is spartan and bare, as one might expect of a research base - and for how undeniably brilliant (if somewhat insane) the rogue Einzbern was, he was not the sort to think much of necessities. This base was something of a last refuge, and his priority was shaping your new bodies, not on providing for after, so there wasn't much in the way of clothing - particularly not in your size.

You do find some lab coats in the lab, however. They are far too big for you, and the texture feels strange against your form's all too sensitive skin, but at least it is something.

Skadi

'Fascinating...'
    I thought to myself as I saw the War Golem devour the cores of its fallen brethren, replenishing its stores of prana from that simple expedient. 'That's...so simple. So brilliant...but then it is concentrated prana, isn't it...and these are constructs...'

Constructs.

Powerful, sleek weapons of war beyond the strength of any mere human. Creations of the moonlit world that did not need to adhere to the paltry laws of nations or mundane civilization. Monster...

'...like me.'

Yes...such cruel joy and sorrow. In this vessel, I was free of my ailments - of the things which would have doomed me to an early death as a human. Humanity...it was was strange how that species liked to believe itself so powerful, and yet they could be so short-sighted, so ignorant, so inhumane to their kin. For had they not created engines of war that dwarfed the power of any spell? Had they not slaughtered millions of their own because it was 'right' - because it was 'just'? Had they not been a blight upon the world, so much so, that they killed Gaia in one possible future?

In the end, stripped of all the trappings and niecities of civilization, that was what humanity embraced, even as they abhorred the possibility of their own death.

They lived by killing. Whether by plundering the life of the earth or the resources of their brethren, by crushing the hopes and dreams of their young and their elderly, parasites upon the world who did not give anything back.

And yet they had the unmitigated gall, the audacity to call non-humans monsters - to try to exterminate us because we, the demons, we the homunculi, we the elementals, did not fit into their little human-centric view of the universe, because we killed them for survival while they killed us for fun.

'They always did enjoy denying the truth, even as they spouted platitudes about the truth setting them free...?'

Well then. It seemed that because we were here, perhaps we could end this cycle by destroying the leadership of the Einzbern, by becoming all they once dreamed. As in the movies and media humanity so loved, they created us, and we would end them to stop the threat to our existence.

...because in the end, that was the true moral of every human tale, whether it was of terminators and rogue AIs, demons or ancient beats: humans were a threat and must be dealt with.

'And deal with them...I will...'

I reached out my hand to one of the prana cores from one of the broken Golems, trying to absorb the power into myself as I could. I needed heat. I needed warmth. I needed energy of some sort inside me, for I could not keep running off of sheer emotion, no matter what I believed.
    Light flared.

A beautiful blue light - spiralling out like the Origin itself - the paradox spiral of existence...

Sidequest: Absorb the prana of one broken core into myself. Command Golem to bring the last back to the base to empower the other working golem.

Blog Entries
    Luna

I'm hungry. I try to speak, but only a whimper comes out.

Sidequest: Look for food.

Skadi

Sidequest: Absorb the prana of one broken core into myself. Command Golem to bring the last back to the base to empower the other working golem.
    You try to absorb the prana in the broken power core, but nothing happens. You don't need to have any pull on the prana within the core to move it into your body. However, you are able to command your Golem to grab these two power cores back into the Bunker.

The other working War Golem is being ridden by another Homunculus. You may need to talk to her first before trying to power the other Golem.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Luna

Look for food
    You try to speak, no sound comes out. Your throat is dry and parched - you'd think it wouldn't be, after you were floating in that fluid for who knows how long, but it is. You are in need of something to quench it, something to make the feeling of sandpaper and glass in your windpipe disappear.

And so you look around for something in the room.

There isn't much, as you might expect, but you do manage to find a few MREs (Meals Ready to Eat - Military Rations), apparently stolen from one base or another, as well as fruit. While most homunculi don't need to eat if they have prana, you don't seem to have that option yet, given your magic circuits aren't open.

...and you find a container of water. Pure, blessed, water.

Its simple, and its clean...and it is the best thing you have ever tasted in your life.

Skadi

I felt like cursing as I could not draw any prana whatsoever. That...that just shouldn't be possible. A homunculus was by definition a Magic Circuit with a humanish form, not a human which might or might not have Magic Circuits (or might or might not have them open), and so should be powered solely by prana, without the need for food or drink unless the life form actually desired it. So how...

'...maybe that
    modified part of the class description has a point to it...'

Age should have been nothing for a homunculus, and yet...I was so frail, so weak...so human.

Once more, I was a child, trapped in a cage of flesh and prana - in a form I had long forgotten how to use. My applied knowledge, my training, my movement arts...anything more than the basics I'd have to relearn, remaster. Even my theoreticals were hazy...

'Such frustration...such pain...'

And with that I was carried back into the bunker by the War Golem, where I was brought face to face with another homunculus riding the second War Golem.

"Hello," I greet simply, looking around the room to see my compatriots in various states of discomfiture. Apparently, none of them had succeeded in magic mastery quite so early yet, so we were in the same boat, sharing one crest and all. Besides, if it was us against the world, I'd better work on making bonds. "I bring gifts."

I gestured to the prana cores my war golem was carrying.

"Have your golem consume them to restore itself to full power - we can't use them ourselves."

Sidequest: Read Material on Table
    Sidequest: Give Prana cores to other golem

Weekly Goal #1: Open Magic Circuits - as Homunculi this should be our first priority, given that it is literally what we are and what keeps us alive...

Blog Entries
    Verdandi

A shiver ran down my spine and I close my eyes, enduring the piercing agony of the glass shards that marred my sensitive skin.

The golem lies motionless next to me. Death - even though it was never living to begin it, I felt its icy grasp on the golem's metal and rock frame, sensed the way control had slipped out of that earthern body. With this new, artificial body, senses seemed to be magnified to no end. The cuts on my skin hurt; every throbbing of my heart reminded me of my physical restraints; and this spent golem before me - He was a machine just as I am. Built for a function. Given a life to fulfil its duty. Now that he was done, he was destinied to nothing but oblivion.

Would that fate, too, come upon me soon?

With shaking hands, I check over my body to make sure no shards of glass remained embedded within my flesh. Then, softly, hesitantly, I reached out and placed my hand over the head of the deceased golem - as if I was laying a poor little child to sleep.

I could hear the sound of the other four homunculi, some venturing out, some pondering within. But what difference does that make?

What can assure me that I'm not another tool that my 'maker' wishes to play with, a doll that is only designed for one function?

With an angry, guttural growl in my throat, I stood up the best I could, and shuffled slowly toward the central table where one of the others was currently reading up some notes.

I wish for the truth. Even if it may destroy me.

Side quest: Join Chryse in reading the document and make some sense out of them..
    Last edited by Brynhilde; December 20th, 2011 at 05:48 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Loki

Huh. I see...

Musing as I mentally take notes on how the golems are acting, I feel a sudden urge to experiment with it.

However, what to try it on - and whether I should waste their energy on some measly test.
    Those two questions swirl in my mind, and like a vacuum cleaner clearing up any speck of the blackish dirt of ideas or justifications to use it on, my mind responds to those two questions with nothing but a blank area of space.

I let out a sigh and give up.
    Another homunculus managed to stand, and was heading to where another one was...reading?
    I know not for sure.

However, I hear a whimper come from one of the other homunculi - the very same one which was mentioning their desire for ice cream.

Letting my thoughts slip, I open my mouth thoughtlessly and spit out the words as dirt threatened to blast-dry my throats insides.

"Bring."
    Out of air...
    Out of air out of air out of air.

I inhale a full breath, then entered a fit of coughing.
    But in the end, my mind refused to listen.
    Even when this very body cannot do as this mind tells it to.

"Bring. Food."
    After that, I collapse, no longer capable of moving.
    Much less thinking.

However, I notice that another one of the homunculi are attempting to do something with the core of a dead golem.
    Curious, I decide to observe it, as well as anything else that occurs in the room.

Hopefully, I can gain full control of this body, so that I can join the others.

Sidequest: Observe surroundings for items of interest or details of note while awaiting results of the test.

Sidequests: