Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: General Fanfiction Recommendations

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Delcer's Avatar

General Fanfiction Recommendations

EDIT:
    I'd like to clarify that this shouldn't be a place for fics you favorite on your FFN account on a whim. This is a place for the BEST you've read, the fics that you can nostalgically look back on and reread years past and still enjoy wholeheartedly.

As the title suggests this is a thread for non Type Moon related fanfictions works. Try to keep conversation to a minimum.

The format is:

Category:
    Title:
    By:
    Synopsis:
    Comments: (Optional)
    Excerpt: (Recommended)

I'll start things off.

Category: Warcraft
    Title: Hell For the Company
    By: mirari1
    Synopsis: After a botched attempt at dreadsteed theft, a human warlock and her unwitting companion are trapped on the dreadlord world of Xoroth, their only hope for escape a ragtag band of fellow prisoners and a demon they can't trust.
    Comments: Starts off a tad slow, but don't let that stop you. The character interaction is delightful and the fight scenes are amazingly vivid.
    Excerpt:

He'd seen mages work their spells before, and if he'd expected the warlock's casting to be any different he would've been disappointed. With her back towards him, he couldn't see the arcane gestures she made with her hands, but glimmering runes coalesced at her feet and rotated slowly. Power bloomed around her – shadowy enough to make him ill, and yet perversely, sickeningly appealing to the secret flawed places in his own heart – and she hissed something in a language he couldn't understand as a coruscating pillar of flame burst up from the deck of the dead ship.

Not the red glare of magefire, but the greenish-white of demon-flame; it blazed up from around the tallest black mast, searing it to ash faster than should have been possible and then roiling outwards in a blinding emerald wave. Once it consumed the entire top deck the inferno began to spin, heat roaring at its heart as it kept pace with the bright runes whirling about the warlock's feet. There was nothing subtle about this destruction; wood and canvas so sodden with mist should never have burned, and the howl of the firestorm was the raw shriek of power.

Will add more recommendations later, I've been kinda busy these days.
    Last edited by Delcer; January 27th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    Category: Dead or Alive, Devil May Cry
    Title: Dead or Alive 4: The Devil Factor
    By: Damon Black
    Synopsis: Our favorite pizza-loving, demon-slaying bounty hunter is hired for a simple job by a certain company. Naturally he has no problem dealing with the job, but what happens afterwards is a different story.
    Comments: It's a Dead or Alive/Devil May Cry Crossover! That's awesome enough in itself! I've just been introduced to it not too long ago, but I like it. And it's rated M. That's promising, right?
    "I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

Come on people, share some interesting stuff please.

Edit: fixed failed edit of main post.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Gimme a sec to scare up some links and I'll see what I can do.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Gonna add my two cents here before I fall asleep from insomnia. I'll add more as I run across the stories again, though.

Category: Naruto and Disgaea X over.
    Title: Overlord
    By: Chibi-Reaper
    Synopsis: A little experiment... A Naruto, Disgaea crossover where Laharl claims Naruto as his successor.
    Exerpt: Sasuke had begun twitching in horror... after the first hour, it had become apparent. The dobe had abandoned him. After he'd been assigned to the same team as one of his most rabid fangirls, he'd come to rely on the dobe to run interference for him... to distract the evil pink haired witch that simply would not leave him alone. Whether he realized it or not, the dobe tended to show up at exactly the right time to deflect the majority of her attention.

Today... he had simply never shown. That dobe... if he was ill, he had better be in agonizing pain, or Sasuke was going to kill him. Sakura cuddled into his side, grinning as she mistook his shudder of distaste for one of repressed desire. It wasn't that he didn't like girls... he just preferred them a little more well-developed. The only thing Sakura had going for her was an unnatural hair-color... one that was apparently passed down through the dominant genes. Before he had learned that interesting tidbit, he'd actually considered cutting some sort of deal with her... a one night stand, sometime in the future, in exchange for leaving him alone unless she concieved. However, the mere thought of pink-haired Uchiha girls... or worse, pink-haired Uchiha boys, convinced him to banish the idea to the depths of oblivion. However, the more he snubbed her, the tighter she held to him, desperately deluding herself into the idea that Sasuke was just playing hard to get.

Category: Naruto
    Title: Reload
    By: Case13
    Synopsis: They've been there. They've done that. And they didn't even get a shirt to prove it. Reload - because sometimes things are just as they seem to be, and at times they are even more.
    Exerpt: Sasuke grunted, snagging something from the left.

"...there you are." The Uchiha muttered, holding the cat.

Naruto's grin turned from sheepish to murderous, as the blond reached for his kunai.

Sasuke frowned.

"You can't stab the cat, Naruto."

"Sure I can." Naruto said with a demented chuckle. "Watch me."

"You can't stab the damn cat."

"Don't CARE." The blond took a step closer to the scared animal. "This fucker gave me so much grief over-"

"No. Stabbing. The. Cat." Sasuke scowled, looking at the furball. "Not this time around anyway."

Naruto blinked.

Sasuke pulled an explosive note.

"Sasuke... there are moments that you are awesome." Naruto said seriously. "Small ones, few and far in between, but they happen. This is one of them."

Sasuke smirked, before frowning.

"...what the hell do you mean small and few and far in between?"
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

I write like Douglas Adams. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/696f37bd

Blog Entries
    Would submitting our own work be acceptable?

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RanmaBushiko View Post
    Gonna add my two cents here before I fall asleep from insomnia. I'll add more as I run across the stories again, though.

Category: Naruto and Disgaea X over.
    Title: Overlord
    By: Chibi-Reaper
    Synopsis: A little experiment... A Naruto, Disgaea crossover where Laharl claims Naruto as his successor.
    Exerpt: Sasuke had begun twitching in horror... after the first hour, it had become apparent. The dobe had abandoned him. After he'd been assigned to the same team as one of his most rabid fangirls, he'd come to rely on the dobe to run interference for him... to distract the evil pink haired witch that simply would not leave him alone. Whether he realized it or not, the dobe tended to show up at exactly the right time to deflect the majority of her attention.

Today... he had simply never shown. That dobe... if he was ill, he had better be in agonizing pain, or Sasuke was going to kill him. Sakura cuddled into his side, grinning as she mistook his shudder of distaste for one of repressed desire. It wasn't that he didn't like girls... he just preferred them a little more well-developed. The only thing Sakura had going for her was an unnatural hair-color... one that was apparently passed down through the dominant genes. Before he had learned that interesting tidbit, he'd actually considered cutting some sort of deal with her... a one night stand, sometime in the future, in exchange for leaving him alone unless she concieved. However, the mere thought of pink-haired Uchiha girls... or worse, pink-haired Uchiha boys, convinced him to banish the idea to the depths of oblivion. However, the more he snubbed her, the tighter she held to him, desperately deluding herself into the idea that Sasuke was just playing hard to get.
    Use of "dobe" and every sentence having an ellipsis halfway through. This is what passes for quality in Naruto fanfiction. ;_;

Blog Entries
    ...I like Chibi-Reaper's fanfics quite a bit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I ctrl-F'd for "..." in that fic just for fun. Waaaaay too many.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sword View Post
    Would submitting our own work be acceptable?
    Only if it's good.

Category: Breath of Fire
    Title: Reborn Again
    By: Mieu Sendai
    Synopsis: The cycle of rebirth continues... Not everyone is thrilled.
    Comments: Abandoned. Despite that, I still recommend it. I haven't read it in several years, but parts of it stick in my mind even now. It's pretty dark and gritty.

http://reborn.darksiren.net/old/index.html

Man, even going back to look at it, there are a few hackneyed bits. Still, I liked it a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    Category: Revolutionary Girl Utena
    Title: Duel Called Enmity
    By: Sharnii
    Synopsis: Utena is understandably bitter about Ohtori Academy, and not in the least happy to meet up with Anthy in the real world.
    Comments: Post-anime fic, and a very fun one at that, with a unique look at the Utena/Anthy relationship, the repercussions of the last episode, and a cynical, broken Utena who in the end isn't nearly as cynical as she wants to believe she is.
    Excerpt:

At home Anthy cleans (well), cooks (badly), and watches horribly inappropriate game shows on television. Utena washes up (so as not to feel guilty), often orders takeaway, and watches the game shows while cringing.

Sometimes Utena does exercises, or lifts hand-weights. Sometimes Anthy arranges flowers, or changes the channel to the home shopping network. She never seems to buy anything, only coos over this or that bargain. Utena rolls her eyes but ChuChu makes little Chus of apparent agreement.

After about a month Utena finds a family of mice living in her sock draw. She screams like a girl and flees into the living area, where she finds Anthy unsuccessfully trying to suppress giggles behind her hand. Utena doesn't know what to do: Anthy doesn't laugh at her expense. Or she didn't.

But Utena leaves the family of mice their new home, although she rolls her eyes each time Anthy feeds them dinner crumbs. She buys new socks and stuffs them into her already full underwear draw.

Blog Entries
    Category: Phantasy Star
    Title: Motherhood
    By: Black Sword
    Synopsis: Queen. Demigoddess. Laya. But now that she has children, one word has the highest priority: mother.
    Comments: Post-anime fic, and a very fun one at that, with a unique look at the Utena/Anthy relationship, the repercussions of the last episode, and a cynical, broken Utena who in the end isn't nearly as cynical as she wants to believe she is.
    Excerpt: Mieu had reached the enemy, and was dueling one of the Robomen. The traitorous Orakians had distanced themselves from the deadly redhead gynoid, even as the other three robots continued to fire upon the crouching figure. Laya recognized the ebon armor as Wren's, and her heart skipped a beat when she caught the hint of long golden hair hidden beneath the powerful war machine's frame.

Gwyn.
    Last edited by Black Sword; January 31st, 2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to add links

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Inugami's Avatar
    Do you guys accept My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic?
    Please help me graduate by answering this quick 10-question survey!

www.surveymonkey.com/s/facebook_project_survey

I'd really appreciate you passing this link around so that I can gather as many responses as possible by this Monday!

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/101-Type-Moon-Fanfic-Ideas?p=306070&viewfull=1#post306070

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    I don't see why not.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    Only if it's good.
    Well, there goes submitting anything that's mine! xD

Here's one that I think, personally, is the best Warcraft fanfic.

Frostblood » reviews "There must always be a Lich King…" Upon Arthas' demise, the role falls unexpectedly to Jaina Proudmoore. And she's not the only one dismayed by her 'promotion'... AU! Co-starring Kel'Thuzad & Jaina's emo subconscious.Warcraft - Rated: M - English - Drama - Chapters: 18 - Words: 164,254 - Reviews: 280 - Updated: 2-1-12 - Published: 10-24-10 - The Scourge & Jaina Proudmoore

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    He who fights monsters by hawker-748

Tsukune Aono. An ordinary human in a dangerous place. When your life's on the line, there's nothing that you won't do to survive.

Basically, Rosario+Vampire without the harem romance.

The Lycopocalypse: Click at your own risk
    FGO NA Support:

IGN: Kurama Satou

Can I add that I'm disappointed in the lack of sharing going on? Come on people, sure your likes might be judged and hated by others, but some will actually like them and feel a measure of gratitude for what you've shared.(maybe)

Category:
    Ragnarok Online
    Title: Crimson Twilight Trilogy: Book 1, Book 2
    By: Tom Valor
    Synopsis: Immortality...what does it mean to be a force of power in Midgard? War threatens to engulf the entire world of Midgard as the great monsters rise against each other. In the midst of this chaos, a band of heroes will determine the final outcome.

Comments: It has been a long time since I've read this. I'm sure this fic needs no introduction; seen it around a lot. It is a fic that has managed to expand and bring to life the world of RO.

Blog Entries
    I know not what the policy for necro is on Beast's Lair but if any thread deserves to rise from the dead it's this one goddammit.

Category:
    Code Geass
    Title: Lelouch of Britannia
    By: Cal Reflector
    Synopsis: History often hinges on a moment. What if young Lelouch avoided the fate of exile and remained with the royal family? All roles become reversed. The tale of Lelouch's quest for power and vengeance as the Black Prince of the Empire.
    Comments: This is the best piece of Code Geass fanfiction ever. I dare anyone to question it's greatness (or to question my sanity) At it's core, it's an AU Lelouch and Nunnaly remain royals while Lulu keeps searching for her mothers killer, Cal Reflector also gives the story a great feeling of alternate history by placing various excerpts from fictional documents at the beginning of every chapter. The only thing against it is the fact that the fic was last updated exactly last year, so I will call it quite dormant as it stands right now. Even so, it's an amazing read.
    Excerpt: One of the fake historical documents at the beginning of a random chapter:

""What one must remember is that back then, the class lines which define Britannia also manifested themselves in her armed forces. The officer was viewed as a gentleman, and a commission in the army was considered a professional career with an esteemed place in society. The common soldier was treated with far less charity, however, and his aristocratic officer generally viewed him as such—an inferior creature to be commanded but not worthy of associating with outside the strictures of the camp; he dined in a separate mess and communed with his fellow officers in a club exclusive to their rank…

Both officer and enlisted man were poorly compensated. An officer's social obligations—the functions he was required to attend, the wardrobe he needed to maintain—rose with his rank, and a major could rarely afford to pay out of his salary the upkeep for the lifestyle necessitated by his office. This further placed the officer rank out of reach for the majority of Britannians, in that only the privileged classes such as nobles, landed gentry, and those who could afford the expenses that a commission entailed sent their sons (and in rare instances daughters) to become officers… Other than a mean allowance that barely covered living expenses, a first lieutenant's pay was 22,700 pounds per annum, a private 8400 pounds, with fifteen percent additional pay if he was deployed to war.

A footman working at a squire's country estate made an even thirteen grand, so for the majority of destitute and struggling families, it was far more desirable—if an opening was available and if the proper letters of recommendation could be obtained—to hire their children out to wealthy households as domestic help rather than enlistment. Ashfordshire's decline in 2010 was thus caused by the departure of the leading family of the county, who took with them not just the livelihoods of technicians, researchers, and factory workers but also that of menservants, maids, and other household staff.

The significance of Prince Lelouch's actions must then be placed within these historic circumstances. Upon his arrival, when he learned that the regiment's shortage of pilots was due to the lack of knights, the prince assembled the candidates—all trained and qualified but for the lack of a title—on the drilling field and knighted everyone there and then. He told us he believed that men are not born as but become gentlemen, and now was our chance to prove him right.
    Today we know that it was by the prince's petition that a regiment was raised in Ashfordshire. To we who struggled for years under a selective and punitive recession, the prince represented hope; he gave us the opportunity to rise from our misery and we answered his call. A leader deals in hope, and the hope he brought nourished our desire for glory. Every man who came under his spell became a soldier—every man understood the confidence which the prince vested in him, and each strove to answer that confidence with his utmost. And when the odds were impossible; when common sense and all objective reason forecasted doom and disaster, none would lose heart, because so long as the Black Prince was leading us all believed that we would surely prevail…"

First Sergeant James Le Feuvre, knightmare company, 2nd Battalion, 382nd Ashfordshire Regiment.

Sixty Minutes with Diethard Reid: Class and Modern Military Reform, June 15, 2040."

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

Blog Entries
    Oh hey, this thread lives again!

Wonder how long it'll last.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Oh hey, this thread lives again!

Wonder how long it'll last.
    If I have my way Beam, it will be a long life. Even if I must take up it's weight all by myself.

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.