Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beast's Lair's Roleplaying Games Reviews: by the Players, for the Players

Beast's Lair's Roleplaying Games Reviews: by the Players, for the Players

Just like Beast's Lair Fanfic Author Guide, but with RPs. I'll update it whenever I can.

Rules

1. Share your opinion about specific Roleplaying games in this forum. What you like, what you dislike and how could it improve.
    2. Be polite at all times. This thread allows you to offer constructive criticism but forbids all kinds of offense towards the GMs or players of the games. Try not to insult other reviewers, either. Respect their opinion as they respect yours.
    3. Only active RPs shall be included. A RP is considered inactive, for the purposes of placing it in this thread, if there had not been a GM update during the past month. If a RP listed in this thread ceases to be active, it will not be removed. And obviously, a RP cannot be reviewed if it has not started.

RP NOW (40K)

hero: It might not have the most creative title, but this jewel does not go unnoticed to my eyes. Do not let the length of Neir's (GM) posts fool you: What he lacks in quantity, he places it in quality. Some might not agree, but I find his vocabulary very extense and his posts very fitting. In a nutshell, he writes what's necessary and lets you do the rest. Just reading a few of the responses he got from the players is enough to prove that it works. Danger: Characters are subject to be dragged by Neir's lust to a H-scene or fade to black at some point.

Morm: I haven't posted in this for a while, but from what I remember it was awesome, filled with Persona references, 40k memes, and best of all, MEHTAL BAWKSES. Neir, u r ma bro for doing this, and everyone else I love you all. ;___;

Erl: Quite entertaining- Whereas Neir's updates are a scant few for me, they are hilarious most of the time, and the RP manages to get that feeling of light-heartedness and grimderp at the same time.

Notes: The War to End Wars

hero:
    This is one of my favorites. Not because of the premise or the awesome character I control (RAMBO), but because of how much I enjoy the updates. There might be weeks or sometimes months in between each update, yes, but when they come, the wait was worth it. Erl usually makes great posts that not only have an amazing quality, they also are of considerable lenght, and what's more important: They hook you up, forcing you to read them to the end, and then encouraging you to write a response. It's worth noting that it's one of the few RPs that managed to get the players into fighting scenes. Really good.

Leo:
    Oh god I love this RP. Despite the premise of Notes, only the basic few concepts are taken from it, and the setting almost entirely an original setting, which in and of itself is an impressive accomplishment. GM posting quality is consistently high, better than what I can do (Erl, I don't think I've ever properly told you this, but you're pretty darn good at writing). A few hiatuses broke up the flow of the RP to a degree, which I think may have turned off a few players, but it's coming back, and goddamnit this is the one RP I want to play to the last word. Git er done.

Morm:
    The first RP I joined and my first exploration into this madness you people call a forum. GM is ridonkulously good at posting, and comes up with both an interesting world frought with both OH GOD WHY and OH MY GOD MY HEAD IS EXPLODING FROM THE AWESOME. Fight scenes are top-tier, and I wish I could've started my RP somewhat like that. Just BAM, shit's going on. But yeah, A+.

From Dusk Till Down: Ragnarok

hero: What can I say? With a really creative premise; mysterious and interesting NPCs; and Bryn as a Game Master, this game would make any Yugi Fan proud. It was put to rest for some time during last year, but now it has revived and is trying to recover or even surpass its former glory. The slow pace is always a problem -In this case it is because of the players, not the GM- but I believe it will open its wings once more and soar through the sky. OVER TOP CLEAR MINDO!

Sei: The concept alone is interesting to me. I jumped into this RP a good time after it started, but I've gotta say I'm having fun. The story is interesting, the NPCs are full of mystery, and the GM is well organized. And the player characters are pretty diverse too. It all makes for an interesting story. As Hero said, pacing is a little slow because of the players, but that makes it even better when the next post is made. A number of the players seem to already have their own plans being set into motion and they're thinking things through when they post. Revived but not dead, this is definitely something I look forward to playing.

Shin Megami Tensei: Darkness Conqueror

Leo: Hero is probably the most consistent GM I've played with. His updates... my god, they are good updates. Regular thousand word updates almost daily is beyond any other I've seen, and good quality thousand words at that. In addition, I think he's managed to find the most efficient GMing style by partly taking control of players during fights. This breaks from usual tradition of letting players have complete control, but what it does is it moves the fight in a far more efficient manner than otherwise: 10 PC post fights are reduced to 4, greatly increasing RP speed.

Erl:
    Best RP in BL, if we ignore Regalia's monstruous girth. The GM, hero, always tries to make the RP a fun experience for the players, updating regularly and throwing fun challenges at us. The battle system allows for a great amount of badass potential, considering hero doesn't fuck around. SoL is one post between battles at most, for now, and after that it's all hard-boiled, extremely hot-blooded bouts of shounen/epic fighting and blood-boiling experiences.

I fucking love Darkness Conqueror, 10/10 would play 10 times over.

KT: That RP where almost everyone is shounen (but Leo). Over the top and constantly action packed, I can't really find any faults with it. Hero generally updates fast and amazingly, and pretty much everyone's stories are fun to read through. Nice when you get sick of all those other RPs forcing you to use tactics when all you have to do in here is manifest enough shounen to whoop everyone's ass. Not saying tactics are unnecessary, but I like having them be an afterthought.

Airen: Amazing. That is the best word to describe this RP. Hero's updates are always excellent, and he's always willing to listen to the ideas of his players, which is good, because me and Froggie have been brainstorming ideas for a long time. xD The battle system is very interesting because of how over-the-top it allows the players to act, but the enemies are able to be just as over-the-top so it still remains pretty challenging. All the PCs are likeable in some way, and the Special Units are varied and just as interesting in their own way.

Darkness Conqueror is awesome. AND I WILL NEVER ABANDON IT. EVER.

Grill War Reloaded

Morm: This is the second Grill War I've participated in, and I have a good feeling about it, with OP Masters, OP Servants, and an OP NPC about to beat the shit out of me tonight, this RP feels like something, IT'S GOOD, OKAY? I LIKE IT.

Dead Men Walking

Erl:
    I dare say, good gentlemen, I find this astonishing work of art a masterpiece- Truly it encompasses all I might call the essence of manliness and gentlemanly elegance so appropiate of the dapper, dashing GM, and its gallant cast of vibrant characters. This wondruous work of art which could be held in the splendorous halls of Versailles is by far the most alluring of the Roleplays.

tl;dr have a cup of earl grey good man.

Fate/Extra: Heaven's Cage - The Prison Door

llednaroth:
    It's the only RP I'm participating at the moment, relatively new. Not all the GM's post daily, but many of the posts are quality-worth. Combining with the fun world of Fate Extra (data-based Moon Cell, Arena to fight all sorts of beasts and dinosaurs) and more than enough Servants and enemies - pretty fun to play, and quite a good read too. Nice Servant fights are to be expected, as well. Some are already written.

It may be the only RP i participate in, but its quite fun.

Sengoku Rance - Conquest

Mangafreak7793: An Interesting spin to the infamous tactical eroge in which our characters are a part of the world and could influenced the outcome of what we know from the world of Rance and the various action carry the chance of risk or failure which makes one wait on the edge of their seat, the only problem iis the long wait time to know of the result of said actions but regardless of that it is one of the more interesting Rp's I played.

Fall of the Ancestors

Erl:
    This RP is gold, pure gold. It's the one I'm having the most fun with for now, as updates are almost instantaneous. Bloble knows how to keep the RP in an active mood, and always brings entertaining updates. He also doesn't try to lead one towards a certain plotline, instead choosing to improvise when it comes to the early stages (he probably will have a more solid plot for the actual chapters). The RP seems to be leading on to something very epic, as it seems one starts out small, but reaches greater heights as he progresses through each chapter.

All in all, it's an RP I'm looking forward to.

Babel's Tale - The Notes of a World

I3uster: The Notes revival hasn't been active for long, but for now it looks very promising. I had a blast in character creation, and the scenarios that seem to be laid out for us seem to be interesting. Leo maintains a good update speed.

I'll probably comment more on it once it really gets going.

KT: Not sure what to say about it, although me and Fran corrupting it with lesbian subtext is either one hell of a plus or a minus. A bit less powerful than the old Notes RP, it still gives off that feeling of the futility of war, in my opinion. It's off to a good start, kinda wish Leo/Morm posted faster for everyone else, though. They shouldn't have to wait for awesome.

Also, character creation, once again, is one of those hilarious things like before.

Airen:
    Haven't played it for very long, but it seems interesting enough so far. I had a lot of fun with character creation, and am looking forward to whatever sort of enemies Leo throws my way.

Fate/Regalia

I3uster: I think this one needs no comments. Verg is a god-tier GM, it's pretty much the biggest RP on the site with an uncountable amount of NPCs, a well thought out setting and an intriguing premise and a really well-defined rulebook. Pretty much my favorite RP on-site, and I have to thank Caster for asking for a slot, otherwise I would never have joined.
    My only problem with it is that it's only one of Verg's uncountable number of projects, so sadly the update speed suffers a bit.
    Still, the best RP on site for me, with interesting NPCs, likeable PCs and a very dedicated community.

Oniggoko

hero: Just like I could probably write a thousand (or more!) words of how much rage inducing Persona 1 -the game- was, I could probably do the same with Onigokko, if I had to list all the good things in it. At this point, I like the RP to the point where I might be idealizing, but I will do my best to provide an objective review. Onigokko is a survival horror story that takes inspiration from games like Corpse Party and Silent Hill, among others. It is still on its beginning stages, but it has managed to prove that simple is best. The basic mechanics are easy to understand and the player can soon learn how to use them to their advantage. At the same time, there seem to be many features one can only learn by diving into the game further. Contrary to what one might think, their simplicity is the same. The GM updates are not always long, but they are frequent and enjoyable. Their quality is great and, in their majority, they serve as a hook to keep you glued to your seat until the next update. The stories behind the place where the player's characters were transported after performing a joke ritual (not really) are still shrouded in mist, and we can only get to discover the truth step by step...

tl;dr: I give it a solid 8. Raises to 10 if you remove my wank suppressor.

I3uster:
    Another great one. Sei manages to get a good horror feel going, and the OOC thread really shows how immersed people are in this game. Every encounter really gets people planning and thinking, and the atmosphere and fast updating speed do the rest. The system is very much learning by doing, which sometimes can be kind of confusing, but all in all it's a great experience, and I really hope we'll see this RP from start to finish.

Airen: I love Onigokko. The atmosphere is very different from the other RPs I have participated in, and just the mention of one of the situations on IRC gets the entire chat thinking about the best course of action. It's battle system is simple but effective, and it puts an emphasis on actually thinking through what you're going to do in any situation, which subverts the usual sort of power levels to an interesting extent. The setting seems to draw from Corpse Party and Silent Hill, and is very interesting to read about, especially at night, when all the lights are off and you're on the computer by yourself. I really like Onigokko, and I WILL NOT ALLOW IT TO DIE.

Bloble: Yes. Hell yes. Hell fucking yes.

Ouroborus

Sei: Really like this RP. Not sure why I never posted a review before... As an original RP, I look forward to what lies around the corner and the overall idea of the factions does interest me. Overall, I think it's something with a fair deal of potential, but I would like to see a little more done with the updates we get from time to time. Nevertheless, I plan on bumping the RP until it ends or falls dead on the ground.

tl;dr 3.5 out of 5. 4 out of 5 including wank.

Fortissimo EXS // Trigger: Verzweiflung

Sei: Okay... So I went through the trouble of typing out the full title. That alone should say something. If that isn't enough... I've made like 50 DAMN CHARACTERS based off this system! Haven't even read the freaking canon... But yeah. #1 on my list of RPs right now. Nuff said.
    Last edited by hero; October 29th, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't it make sense to have links to the RPs in question in the post, to make it easier to locate them?

Blog Entries
    From Dusk Till Dawn: Ragnarok
    Link: Ragnarok
    The concept alone is interesting to me. I jumped into this RP a good time after it started, but I've gotta say I'm having fun. The story is interesting, the NPCs are full of mystery, and the GM is well organized. And the player characters are pretty diverse too. It all makes for an interesting story. As Hero said, pacing is a little slow because of the players, but that makes it even better when the next post is made. A number of the players seem to already have their own plans being set into motion and they're thinking things through when they post. Revived but not dead, this is definitely something I look forward to playing.
    "I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

Blog Entries
    Oh god now you're going to make me sperg about RPs.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Do it. <.<
    "I promise nothing." - Sei "Kanra" Slayers
    Resident Sadist. Enjoys stepping and sitting on people.
    Avid lover of butts and anime.

Blog Entries
    (Note that these are just the RPs that come to mind right now)

Notes:
    Oh god I love this RP. Despite the premise of Notes, only the basic few concepts are taken from it, and the setting almost entirely an original setting, which in and of itself is an impressive accomplishment. GM posting quality is consistently high, better than what I can do (Erl, I don't think I've ever properly told you this, but you're pretty darn good at writing). A few hiatuses broke up the flow of the RP to a degree, which I think may have turned off a few players, but it's coming back, and goddamnit this is the one RP I want to play to the last word. Git er done.

Darkness Conqueror:
    Hero is probably the most consistent GM I've played with. His updates... my god, they are good updates. Regular thousand word updates almost daily is beyond any other I've seen, and good quality thousand words at that. In addition, I think he's managed to find the most efficient GMing style by partly taking control of players during fights. This breaks from usual tradition of letting players have complete control, but what it does is it moves the fight in a far more efficient manner than otherwise: 10 PC post fights are reduced to 4, greatly increasing RP speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    lol reading all of these make me want to be a player
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"
    [21:21] <+EnigmaticFellow> we derive fun from integration

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lianru, u a playa. Daaaaaaamn.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Surprised no review on factions or other RPs yet. Thought this would be more popular.

Oh you shy players you.
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)

Blog Entries
    More like Factions is this thing that no one dares wants to comment on...

Blog Entries
    I would comment on some, but since I pretty much killed all of my own RP's I don't think that would be a good idea.

*ahem*

Notes: The first RP I joined and my first exploration into this madness you people call a forum. GM is ridonkulously good at posting, and comes up with both an interesting world frought with both OH GOD WHY and OH MY GOD MY HEAD IS EXPLODING FROM THE AWESOME. Fight scenes are top-tier, and I wish I could've started my RP somewhat like that. Just BAM, shit's going on. But yeah, A+.

RP NOW: I haven't posted in this for a while, but from what I remember it was awesome, filled with Persona references, 40k memes, and best of all, MEHTAL BAWKSES. Neir, u r ma bro for doing this, and everyone else I love you all. ;___;

GWR: This is the second Grill War I've participated in, and I have a good feeling about it, with OP Masters, OP Servants, and an OP NPC about to beat the shit out of me tonight, this RP feels like something, IT'S GOOD, OKAY? I LIKE IT.

Zombies: poost you fuckers or i'll rip out your spinessss. ;____;

please?

Blog Entries
    Notes RP (Rofl Rp-whoring)
    Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem Ado Edem.

RP Now
    Quite entertaining- Whereas Neir's updates are a scant few for me, they are hilarious most of the time, and the RP manages to get that feeling of light-heartedness and grimderp at the same time.

EVERY FUCKING DIPLO GAME
    I DON'T ALWAYS FOLD WHEN PUSHED OK LISTEN TO ME HALP

Darkness Conqueror
    Best RP in BL, if we ignore Regalia's monstruous girth. The GM, hero, always tries to make the RP a fun experience for the players, updating regularly and throwing fun challenges at us. The battle system allows for a great amount of badass potential, considering hero doesn't fuck around. SoL is one post between battles at most, for now, and after that it's all hard-boiled, extremely hot-blooded bouts of shounen/epic fighting and blood-boiling experiences.

I fucking love Darkness Conqueror, 10/10 would play 10 times over.

Zombies
    I dare say, good gentlemen, I find this astonishing work of art a masterpiece- Truly it encompasses all I might call the essence of manliness and gentlemanly elegance so appropiate of the dapper, dashing GM, and its gallant cast of vibrant characters. This wondruous work of art which could be held in the splendorous halls of Versailles is by far the most alluring of the Roleplays.

tl;dr have a cup of earl grey good man
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erlkonig View Post
    EVERY FUCKING DIPLO GAME
    I DON'T ALWAYS FOLD WHEN PUSHED OK LISTEN TO ME HALP
    Poor Erl.
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"
    [21:21] <+EnigmaticFellow> we derive fun from integration

Quote Originally Posted by Erlkonig
    Zombies

tl;dr have a cup of earl grey good man
    Erl, you are my bro, and so, I give you this, as a sign of our brohood.

Erlkonig got the Pendant of Brotherhood!

*sniff* I do say, my good man, I seem to be dripping salty water from my eye cleasing organic devices!

It must be the rain, dreadful weather we're having old chap.

tl;dr *MAN TEARS*

Blog Entries
    I... have the bad habit of not reading other people's RPs.

So I'm probably gonna pass on commenting on them >.<

Updated the opening post with those serious reviews.

Blog Entries
    Fall of the Ancestors

This RP is gold, pure gold. It's the one I'm having the most fun with for now, as updates are almost instantaneous. Bloble knows how to keep the RP in an active mood, and always brings entertaining updates. He also doesn't try to lead one towards a certain plotline, instead choosing to improvise when it comes to the early stages (he probably will have a more solid plot for the actual chapters). The RP seems to be leading on to something very epic, as it seems one starts out small, but reaches greater heights as he progresses through each chapter.

All in all, it's an RP I'm looking forward to.
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

Fate Extra RP: Heaven's Cage (aka The Prison Door)

It's the only RP I'm participating at the moment, relatively new. Not all the GM's post daily, but many of the posts are quality-worth. Combining with the fun world of Fate Extra (data-based Moon Cell, Arena to fight all sorts of beasts and dinosaurs) and more than enough Servants and enemies - pretty fun to play, and quite a good read too. Nice Servant fights are to be expected, as well. Some are already written.

It may be the only RP i participate in, but its quite fun.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also, sandworms.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless