Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Stay Night (2006) Rewatch Thread (NO DEEN BASHING ALLOWED)!

Blog Entries

Fate/Stay Night (2006) Rewatch Thread (NO DEEN BASHING ALLOWED)!

Hi everyone, I wanted to make this thread for people who are interested in watching or rewatching Fate/Stay Night (2006). And when I mean “interested” I mean genuinely interested and not just mindlessly bashing DEEN for route elements or that the animation is old now.

This is for people who want to watch it and enjoy it, I will not permit any bashing, “DEEN sucks, UFotable is better” crap, if you want to go discuss Ufotable Fate there is a Fate/Zero rewatch Thread. I did NOT create this thread so people could treat DEEN Fate like a punching bag. Route comparisons are fine but bashing the old animation and elements from the other routes is not allowed. I don’t want this to be a thread full of Type Lunatics constantly whining about how they think DEEN is bad.

Got it? Good.
    I’m watching the dub, but the sub is legally available here:
    https://www.hidive.com/stream/fate-stay-night/s01e001

And on Hulu:
    https://www.hulu.com/fate-stay-night

Interesting observations:

They actually show you the class cards, unlike Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works 2014 that just talk about the classes and portray them as chess pieces. The only other adaptation that shows the class cards is Prisma Illya.

Shirou’s workout is different between both anime, in 2006, it’s sit ups, in 2014 it’s pushups.

Taiga doesn’t prank him during breakfast. She runs to school on foot instead of taking her moped in UBW.

Shirou doesn’t greet Rin in the Fate route while he does in UBW.

Shirou eats lunch with Issei, in UBW, he eats lunch with Ayako.

Fate route doesn’t show Rin using her Command Seal on Archer.

I also find the slow pace nice and relaxing and ironically, this series is the least info dumpy compared to Fate/Zero and UBW 2014.

I also like the use of lighting in this series, compared to Ufotable, it stands out more to me, despite Ufotable being flashy and cool with their animation and fight scenes.

マリーの味方
    i sort of dislike how both deen and ufotable made the initial kirei meeting church scene be in complete darkness

it's kind of silly imo. both of them basically used the easy way out to set the mood

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianSoulBlade View Post
    I also like the use of lighting in this series, compared to Ufotable, it stands out more to me, despite Ufotable being flashy and cool with their animation and fight scenes.
    Post a picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I like the part where Medea1984 pulled out the needles
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Deen's animation was bad when it was new, please edit the OP to properly reflect that the grievance in question is not a matter of the show aging poorly.

The music and theme songs were fantastic

Apart from that Deen Fate just wasn't that good, independent of any comparisons to Ufo Fate

It airing certainly was the reason I got into TM, but the first Rakkyo film coming out the year after probably would've had the same effect
    <%canaki> can we move the toast down to be emergency pantsu and put the boiled egg in her mouth
    My stuff | GO stuff | YouTube | Twitter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Deen's animation was bad when it was new, please edit the OP to properly reflect that the grievance in question is not a matter of the show aging poorly.
    I already mentioned the route combining.

US Friend Code
    The most memorable part of that anime for me was the last Gil vs Artoria battle, I still think that's the best part. Like Canon said the music was also amazing.

That said the animation is really lacking, and that's even without comparing it to other shows. When I first watched it I don't think I was paying paticular attention to it and just enjoyed it, but when I recently rewatched the Herk vs Emiya fight I couldn't help myself from noticing how silly it looked, I mean what was going on with Emiya's arms!?

Aside from that tho I thoroughly enjoyed it and I don't think it deserves all the bad-rap it has. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either.

Funny thing though, when I first watched the show it was straight after I finished Zero. Since I didn't know anything about Fate at the time I thought the show was a direct sequal to Zero, and I was under that assumption for the whole first half... I remember when Cu pop out and I got so excited since I thought it was Diarmuid by the red spear. But as the scene progressed I started to get confused by the differences than it all came to a point when Gae Bolg was called since I recognized the name from Cu's legend. Than I was completely out of wack. Those were some of my fondest memories when recalling that show
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    I hope I can erase my memory about type moon and start watching Fate Zero and UBW again.
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Blog Entries
    The only thing I remember from Deen ver. is Sakura's SM suit.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Revisionist history.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    I concluded that FSN supposed to be enjoyed as a complete 'entertainment' by experiencing all the 3 route, which something DEEN tried to do so (albeit clumsily). If they recreate Fate route faithfully, I will not see Caster and Kojirou in action, what Archer NP is, what the fuck is the point of Sakura, etc. And if they not to do so, I might dislike Fate because they provided me an 'incomplete show with pointless casts.'

Blog Entries
    DEEN did bad, why forbid saying the obvious.

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    If today, UFO had done the very same thing that Deen had, they would probably had succeeded in doing it much better.

Fate/SN has the very fatal flaw in that reading one route is simply not enough, and that has unfortunately translated into its adaptations. DEEN had foreseen this, or at the very least they saw how boring adapting only one route was, and tried to circumvent it through taking aspects if the other routes and integrating them into fate, which is honestly the most flexible route given that it is the indroductory route and having the most events that could change without changing much of the story.

The concept in theory, could have worked. But the execution fell flat on its face because of how lazily they did it. There were many ways to introduce Sakura and Rin's relationship, and they almost had the right of it, using Caster to do so but not actually using the Dark Sakura concept well. There was potential there, but they screwed up really bad.

The Lycopocalypse: Click at your own risk
    FGO NA Support:

IGN: Kurama Satou

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, Dark Sakura become Spandex Sakura is a bad way to make reference to Heaven's Feel. The action too, damn, beside the last fight the rest are mostly bad, and the music don't make the action epic. Music in action scene for FSN UBW movie is great though, I think it's better than the newest one, the music I mean
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamsRequiem View Post
    DEEN had foreseen this, or at the very least they saw how boring adapting only one route was, and tried to circumvent it through taking aspects if the other routes and integrating them into fate
    so they still adapted only one route but threw in some tidbits from UBW and original crap to fill out the 2 season requirement.

US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    Well if it was at all possible, they should have just gone meta with it and let the audience decide, like the VN.
    Last edited by DreamsRequiem; September 7th, 2017 at 02:47 AM.

FGO NA Support:

don't look at the ears Marmadillo's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    501086179/marmadillo
    Blog Entries
    It's just that if they wanted to make the adaptation into something that manages to carry most of the important points the VN makes, it would require a fundamental reimagining of the three routes into a single storyline. But that would require an actual effort from a team of skilled writers and also ignoring deranged otakus crying how their masterpiece is ruined. And obviously it wouldn't be FSN anymore, just based on FSN.

US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    The most frustrating thing about Japan is the fanbase. If the adaption isn't almost exactly what the source material is, they go bonkers.

Honestly though? I feel like if it was Nasu himself doing the reimagining and integration of all three routes into one anime based from FSN, they wouldn't mind so much.

Mind you, it would still be terrible, but at least people know why it not a 1:1 adaption and who's doing it.

This is why I like the idea of Tsukihime adaptation, but only of the manga. The manga was awesome.
    Last edited by DreamsRequiem; September 7th, 2017 at 03:07 AM.

FGO NA Support:

Demon Lord of the Round Table Cipher One's Avatar
    I honestly think that the DEEN anime was decent for its time. Not exactly great but certainly not the terrible show that so many fans make it out to be.