Page 1 of 86 12361151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beasts Lair Fanfic Contest!

Blog Entries

The Beasts Lair Fanfic Contest!

Hello everyone, if you don't already know my name is Milbunk and I'm a fellow forumite who enjoys reading and watching the various pieces of works that you guys create. In fact I enjoy it so much it has inspired me to create a contest for them!

Though I don't have much to offer as a prize I have managed to contact another fellow forumite whose name is Artee who is willing to provide a small prize of one picture of whatever the winner desires. (Within reason of course.)

This contest in order to make things a bit more manageable will be divided into three different categories for whoever wants to enter, the categories are: Humor, Action, and Drama.

Any BLer is free to enter any of the categories they choose though they can only enter into one of the three.

A few rules that anyone wishing to enter should pay heed to:

You cannot enter an already posted piece of work. (Don't need no repeats here.)
    The work cannot be shorter than 1000 words.
    The work must be about something related to Type-Moon. (It is a Type-Moon forum after all.)
    And as previously said, you can only enter one of the three categories.

Now one more thing before I finish, if you want to enter in as a judge instead of a participant feel free to say so! (Right now Koto is deciding whether or not to judge but besides that it will only be me so more help is appreciated.) If you want to contribute to the prize just say so and I'll be happe to welcome you into the group!

If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me, or ask them here, I'll be happy to answer.

The final due date for fics is March 6th, you are free to enter or leave but no fic may be sent after the 6th, there are no exceptions.

The prizes for the winners of the contest include:

2nd place:

A picture drawn by BL's own Artee. The picture can be anything you want though please at least try to stay reasonable.

1st place:

One of these three figures

Who gets which prize will be determined after the winners are sorted out and if you would still rather have a picture you can choose to do so as well.

Grand Prize:

The final grand prize for whoever's fanfic stands above the rest will be a cup with a picture of anything the winner wants on it.

It looks like that one except it does not have to be just that picture.

If you want to contact me to either send a fic or for another reason you can PM me here on BL or use my email address which is [email protected]

For the judging period, here is how it will be done:

There will be five catagories each worth a total of 20 points for a totall of 100 points per judge and 500 points in the overall fic.

Techinical: This is basically how good your grammar and puncuation are, and if you can follow the rules of the language. Clean (understandable!) sentences, well-structured paragraphs, and clear writing will all help your score here. Most people should get a pretty high score in this as long as you make sure to have your fics read through and checked for errors.

Concept: What kind of fic you did. Did you make sure to keep to your category? How generic was the fic? Was it a simple talk between lovers or an exciting battle between rivals? (Note that there won't be points off for doing a plain idea.)

Artistry: Everything that contributes to the ineffables of the story. How did a fic make a judge feel? Emotional impact. Flow. Beautiful language. Engagement. Does the fic connect with readers? Remember, a story is more than just a piece of technical writing!

Uniqueness: What sets your fic apart from the rest of the pack (or general TM fanfiction)? Plot, character focus, a future world, a certain je ne sais quoi...what did you dare to attempt? Did it make the fic better...or worse?

Overall: Basically the judges' opinion of the fic, with everything taken into account and their overall thoughts on it. (Please remember that all judges will be judging these without knowing the author to help prevent bias.)

Judges:

Milbunk
    Dark Pulse
    Kotohona
    Alf
    Ace

Contestants: (Green means they are good to go.)

Humor:

1x anon
    KAIZA
    Misheard
    Mereo Flere

Action:

1x anon
    Five_X
    I3uster
    Virtue
    R.Lock
    Moczo
    Bloble

Drama:

1x anon
    Arashi_Leonhart
    Laith
    Elf
    Brynhilde
    Verg Avesta
    zlol365
    Airen
    Kratosirving
    NamesAreHardToComeUpWith
    RanmaBushiko
    Vigilantia
    Last edited by Milbunk; March 6th, 2012 at 03:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    The Emotional category intrigues me.

Is it possible to submit something we've already written, or does it have to be a new piece of work?

Blog Entries
    I'd prefer it if whatever you decide to turn in was newly written, but as long as you have not posted your work on BL anything is good.

Blog Entries
    Who will be the judges of the contest, anyway? You should work out a way to judge what snippet wins the contest that isn't "lol I pick one"
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

Blog Entries
    IIRC last time they scored each from 1-10 and the highest cumulitive score won
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Well I'm actually looking for judges, right now though it's just me and Koto (If she agrees.)

And yeah the 1-10 was the way I was planning on doing it as well.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, I would gladly do it, but I'm pretty sure I am incapable of being a fair and impartial judge. If someone wrote a wonderful Shirou x Rin romance fic which forgot Sakura existed, I'd be too pissed off with it to give it a decent score, for example.

Blog Entries
    Plus you only care about Fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    I'd be willing to do it. Except I know nothing about Zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    Do you by chance have any knowledge into knk Neir? I know most of the series that Type-Moon has done but that one is the only one I'm not that familiar with.

Blog Entries
    Oh, BTW, are you gonna try to do anon submissions?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    I'm pretty knowledgeable about all of the Type-Moon series, but I'm not sure how good I would be as a judge. I'd be willing to do it if I had the ability though.
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"
    [21:21] <+EnigmaticFellow> we derive fun from integration

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Plus you only care about Fate.
    True. I couldn't judge anything outside of FSN and Zero effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    I'd be willing to do it. Except I know nothing about Zero.
    Oh, yeah, like hell you'd be unbiased.

"Well, it was well-written, but it contains Sakura and doesn't kill her horribly, so I'd better give it 0"....

Blog Entries
    To Leo: I'd rather people said who they were but if anything they need to at least be a BL member. If they so choose however they may choose to not reveal who they are.

If you believe that you can do so with as little bias as possible then go ahead sign on up.

Also I should mention this as a just in case. You can't both judge and enter the contest for obvious reasons I'd think.

Blog Entries
    Oh, well, I'm definitely not planning to write anything, so I guess I'll apply for judge?
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"

Interesting. I'll apply for judge.

Blog Entries
    Just as a general note, be a bit more careful about who you take on as judges then the last time, in the long run, I think they probably but the production of fanfics more then they helped.
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

"they probably but"?

Blog Entries
    "but" = "hinder"?
    Now Loading...

Blog Entries
    But=Hurt actually, phone spell check can get a trifle weird at times.

God knows I need it though, so can't complain.