Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mythologica - Verg's Diploma Work

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mythologica - Verg's Diploma Work

”Senatus Populusque Romanus! I am the blade of Rome, the Sun that will scorch the enemies of Caesar! Those with bravery, come and challenge me! I am the Chosen of Apollo, Julia Caesaris Octavia!”

-------------- A world of strife --------------

“This night is far from over, as long as I act as the crescent moon in the sky. Bring it on, loverboy! The party of Bacchus is just starting, and you stand before its hostess, Marcia Antonia!”

-------------- A land of myth and fable --------------

“…Alright then. Let’s do this. In order to protect the flowers of love that bloom across the world…….I, Leo Cyrus King, shall stop you here!”

-------------- This is the stage where a new legend is born --------------

MYTHOLOGICA

Imagine a reality where all legends and myths are true. Heroes fight against heroes, mightiest empires of earth engage in war, and new tales are born every day. A world built on legends rather than history. A world that exists on the other side of our own, where only through greatest of miracles can you enter. World of wonder and fantasy, one where both tragedy and victory are everyday occurrence. It is a world that is inhabited by individuals who can cut mountains in half and destroy cities in one night. A world of love, hate, peace and war.

That is the world where Leo Cyrus King ended up in through pure accident.

Lost and alone, he must form strong bonds and acquire power that allows him to survive both the great wars and political storms of ancient Rome. Armed with a curse, a blessing and his quick wits, he sets path to avert the greatest tragedy in Rome’s history, for the sake of future that could have been. A fight against destiny is born. Meetings legendary figures, both historical and mythological, he forms a band of heroes who oppose the future and the tragedy it will bring. And it is with the help of these friends that Leo rises up to be one of the major forces in a world where empires are led by demigods, and half-demons roam the earth.

Thus a tale is born. A tale of the final hero of the world of legends.

---------------- Foreword & Introduction ----------------

Okay, since I got some requests for this, I’m creating a thread revealing things about my latest project, one which I’m turning into full-fledged book, and which also acts as my diploma here at academy. As you can probably get from the preview, it’s a mash-up of legends and myths from around the world, mixed in a blender with Sengoku Basara and Dynasty Warriors, and with heavy dose of Xanatos Gambit-style politics thrown on top.

The story follows Leo Cyrus King as he accidentally ends up in the alternate-reality Earth, which he first mistakes for simple time travel. However, the world is actually a kaleidoscope of all the legends, myths and great historical empires, where great heroes and heroines exist. Leo finds himself in Rome, ruled by Caesar. Rome is currently in war with Britain, led by King Arthur, who, in turn, has to wage war against the unruly Celtic High Kings. In the middle of the two is Charlemagne, trying to stay neutral, while Alexander the Great’s alliance with Caesar is slowly crumbling. Tamerlane and Genghis Khan are locked in war and thus neither can proceed to attack Europe with their horde, and people are escaping from China to Japan to avoid the wars of the Romance of Three Kingdoms. However, Japan itself is in turmoil due to the Warring States Period taking place. And on the “new continent”, the native tribes of northern America are fighting against the foreign invading forces, while the Central and Southern America are the lands of Aztecs, Incas, Mayas and Toltec.

……I think you get the idea by now. Lots of things happen. Legendary figures fight against each other in a ridiculously over-the-top battles, and defeat armies of thousands alone.

It’s in a world like this that Leo decides that he will give the destiny a middle-finger, and determines to keep Caesar alive so that he can keep Rome as a peaceful empire and win the war against Arthur. What affects his decision is also Julia Caesaris Octavia, the female version of Augustus, whom he begins to grow close with. Another problem is Marcia Antonia, this time a female version of Mark Antony, who is equally interested in Leo, although acting as the commander of Cleopatra’s armies in her war against Ramesses II.

So begins the rivalry between young and troubled Brutus and Leo, who, despite being more similar than they admit, want very different things. It does not help that Nero, having been demoted to senator, begins plotting a takeover, with the help of the monstrous Caligula who was banished from many years prior.

Such is the basic premise, setting and starting point of Mythologica. Of course, many things happen on the way. Leo makes friends and enemies, takes part in war under the wing of Caesar himself and makes a splash in the senate as the adopted child and the apprentice of Cicero. But in the end, it all amounts to one thing.

One question that is asked many times during the course of the story…

“Will the future refuse to change?”

---------------- Characters ----------------

Here I’m going to introduce some of the main characters in the book. I’ll be listing also some things they are identified with, plus if they have some very specific role in the story. Plus, let’s do this TV-tropes style.

----------------Main Heroes----------------

The Hero

• Leon Cyrus King

“I am the Hero of Love. If you threaten to trample over the flowers of feelings……expert no mercy from me!”
    Element: Ichor
    Hero Rank: ?
    Home-arena: Garden of Maecenas – Morning Glory
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggUmboz_kiE
    Ordinary university student who finds himself dragged into a world that he could not even imagine in his wildest dreams. Despite all that he’s been through, he’s a cheerful fellow and genuinely a nice guy. The reason he takes up arms and fights is so that the war will no longer endanger the “flowers of love and friendship”. In other words, he does everything for love(!). Kind of a chivalrous pervert who flirts with any and all women he meets, as in his mind, love is a wonderful thing that should be enjoyed as often can be. However, every time he falls in love, he is willing to stake his life in order to protect that love.

In that sense, kind of an oddball? However, extremely quick-witted, and a political prodigy.

He is armed with a blessing and curse received from a trio of gods who utilized a freak magic-potion accident to help him. The curse is called Dextera Domini, Right Hand of God, and it manifests in his right arm. The arm hungers ichor, the lifeblood of gods and what gives heroes their power, and it absorbs it by simply touching air. That is why he has to seal it with an artifact called Murus Romulia, which belonged to the founder of Rome himself. The blessing manifests in his right eye, named Oculus Omnituens, the Eye of Province. When activated, it allows him to see the strengths and weaknesses of heroes, determine right course of actions and speeds up his thinking process. Also wields a huge axe-sword called Primus Amor, the First Love.

Leo hates concepts likes destiny and inevitable, and vows to turn the tides of fate so that Caesar will not die. In the beginning chapters, he is adopted by Cicero, who becomes his foster-father and teacher in the way of politics.

Author Notes: Originally Leo used to go by the name of Roy. However, after deciding to have Leo be of international origin, his name was changed to represent this background. In addition, Leo has many motifs connected to the lions in general, something he shares with Octavia.

The Lancer

• Sigurd

“I had to abandon my country and my loved ones to protect them. But I found new things to protect in this foreign country. Thus, I shall guard your back, even if it takes my immortal life!”
    Element: Earth
    Hero Rank: B
    Home-arena: St. Victor’s Cathedral – Last Stand
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReAe0...eature=related
    The prince of Xanten, Sigurd was forced to abandon his family and status when the Roman Empire invaded Germany. Initially he was to be presented as a hostage to Caesar, but managed to escape his captors, and ended up as a normal slave, weak from hunger and thirst. He was then put on Gladiator shows due to his superior fighting skills and magic swords. Due to his rising popularity, he was finally carted to Rome where he was to be sold to the highest bidder in a Slave Market. It was in Rome that Sigurd planned to escape, to exact revenge on Caesar. However, Leo recognized him from the leaf-mark on his back, and bought him as his personal bodyguard.

Initially vary of Leo, the two quickly became good friends, due to their similar goals. Although their personalities are very different, with Leo being carefree and Sigurd serious and chivalric to fault, they trust each other without question. It is due to Leo’s influence that Sigurd finally forgives Caesar, and joins Leo in his attempt to keep the Emperor alive, as his influence seems to be one of the pillars that hold the status quo of the Europe in place.

Sigurd is armed with two magical swords. The first is a long-sword named Gram, that once belonged to his father. It was once shattered after being destroyed by a god, but later re-forged. It is a peerless blade that can cut anything, even the air itself. The latter is a sword he found from a dragon’s horde, called Balmung. Being from the dragon’s horde, the sword possesses the fearsome “Dragon” aspect, and is thus very effective against all manner of magical beasts. Sigurd apparently lost his horse during his capture, and they say that when upon that very horse, Sigurd turns completely invincible.

Oh, and he employs his invincibility, of course. In fact, he is called one of the Four Invincibles of Eurasia, along with Achilles,

Author Notes: During the original concept of the story, when Leo was a Stepford Smiler Manipulative Bastard, Sigurd was actually few years younger than him. This meant that the original incarnation of Sigurd was far more cheerful and happier than this one, where he is more matured and slightly melancholic at times.

The Smart Guy

• Tamamo-no-Mae

“Just try to harm my hubby, I dare you. If you do that, I’ll show you just why I am called the Greatest Monster of All Japan! Tehe~
    Element: Qi
    Hero Rank: A
    Home-arena: Plains of Nasu – Lightwave Fantasy
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFgA1BC6nLA
    The hyperactive fox-spirit and/or demi-human that ended up stranded in Rome. Originally sent to Alexander the Great as a gift from Ieyasu Tokugawa, who in turn (as he could no longer stand to be in the same room as the energetic, fast-talking creature), sent it to his ally Caesar. Originally kept in the personal zoo of the emperor, Tamamo managed to escape due to the guards wanting to keep as far away from the annoying girl as possible.

Fleeing from her pursuers, Tamamo was eventually rescued and taken in by Leo, who almost immediately came to regret his decision. Deciding that the “Her Heavenly Hero” was the only one for her, she immediately announced that the two were, from that day forward, married. As even Leo feels uncomfortable with the amount of affection Tamamo showers him with, he usually tries to escape when she wants to have a “lovey-dovey moment~♥”. Though in his heart Leo genuinely likes Tamamo, he is simply unable to act normally with a woman who tops him as “Warrior of Love”.

Tamamo is armed with Sessho-Seki, the Killing Stone and Hoji, The Killing Ghost. Both taking a form of an orb the size of a small skull, their usual form of usage is like two flails. This is due to the fact that since they both originate from Tamamo’s being, they orbit around her like pulled by a strong magnet. However, the two also house several magical attacks, with Sessho-Seki aimed towards damaging the physical body, and Hoji aimed towards damaging the spiritual body. It could be said that amongst eastern spellcasters currently residing within Rome, Tamamo is certainly the most dangerous, defeating even Xuanzang.

Tamamo can also release her humanoid form in order to take her true form as the ninetailed fox. This is a true monster, one which is responsible for her extremely high Hero Rank. To defeat her in this form, numbers are useless. Only heroes specifically geared to fighting against unstoppable monsters like Perseus stand a chance against her.

But she doesn’t like to use it because it decreases the “fluffiness” of her tails?

Author Notes: Tamamo was actually competing against two other Japanese figures for the spot of the Smart Guy. The other one was Kaguya-hime, who would have been cool and collected, almost akin to a Neet *laugh*. The other one would have been Chūjōhime, a hippy-flower-power version of Tamamo’s genkiness.

The Big Guy

• Holika

“Six arms is damn better than two. Why? Because it means that I’ll punch you in the face six times in the time it takes you to punch me twice, dispshit.”
    Element: Fire
    Hero Rank: C
    Home-arena: Fires of Barsana – Festival of Colours
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY3n9EnoPLs
    Part of the Asuras, clan of demigod beings, Holika is a rough-spoken and unfriendly young woman with enough strength to rip elephant in half. In fact, that was how she got the attention of Morgiana the Clever, a former slave who was preparing on a great journey to learn medical science from the best in the world. Holika herself was on the run, having faked her death in her hometown after she was put in a tight spot by her father. Rather than killing an innocent man, Holika pretended to die and escaped the town, eventually ending up in Arabia. There she met the aforementioned Morgiana, and so the two ventured deeper into the west, finally ending up in Rome, where the last sighting of Kheiron, the master of medicine, were seen.

It was in Rome that Leo met with Holika, purely by coincidence. At first Holika was immensely annoyed by Leo’s flirty nature (in truth, she was just really embarrassed), but in time the two got in better terms. When Morgiana joined Leo’s team as their medical advisor, Holika also got under his banner, becoming the strongest member of the team. She can easily outclass Sigurd in pure physical strength, and although she has no great artifacts or weapons like the rest of the heroes, she makes it up by competing in the same power-class as the greatest Greek hero, Heracles.

Holika, however, owns a shawl that protects her from all heat-based attacks. When it is combined with her natural abilities as Asura and incredible endurance, Holika could very well be compared to a walking battle-tank of the ancient world. Even more so, she frequently carries potions made by Morgiana, which momentarily boost her attributes.

For a muscled girl, surprisingly moe at times? Also, total tsundere.

Author Notes: Holika was not actually the first one to be chosen at this spot. In fact, the spot originally belonged to a rakshasi named Hidimbi, who could switch forms between a beautiful girl and a bloodthirsty beast. However, when Tamamo was chosen, the group already had one shapeshifter, and that’s why the six-armed wonder got her spot.

The Chick

• Joan d’Arc

"Of the love or hatred God has for the Carthaginians, I know nothing, but I do know that they will all be thrown out of Rome, except those who die there!"
    Element: Holy
    Hero Rank: C
    Home-arena: Siege of Orléans – Starfield
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cffeg...eature=related
    Originally a peasant girl, when Joan for the first time heard the voice of a being calling himself “the God”, she was instructed to lead the France to drive the invading Britain out of the country. The Britain, led by King Arthur, were trying to get foothold on the mainland to better fight against the Roman forces. By pleading to King Charlemagne who had nothing to lose as

However, after Britain had been driven out, they offered a sort-of olive branch to the French, making a temporary peace with them and thus keeping the final two coastal cities they had conquered. Joan requested that the Britain would be given no quarter, and that France would side with Rome, but Charlemagne, troubled by the brewing unrest in Spain, accepted the truce between France and Britain. In addition, as Joan tried to raise the army herself to drive out the last forces of Britain, he sent three of his knights, Roland, Olivier and Astolfo to quell the unrest. The location of Joan and the rebels was betrayed by Gilles de Rais, and thus, Joan was captured after losing humiliatingly to Roland. She was taken to Charlemagne’s castle for trial, but managed to escape during the transfer.

Eventually she sought refuge in Rome, the only place where she thought she might be able to find the army to help her make her visions come true.

It was also in Rome that she met Leo, having been impressed by his performance in the Senate (where he engaged in a memorable battle of words with Senator Nero, his political #1 rival). She sought Leo in her hands, asking for his help in the matters of France. Leo eventually, after witnessing Joan’s skills as a tactician and a knight, promised he would do all he could if they would first be able to avert Caesar’s death. Thus Joan joined Leo’s group, becoming the moral compass of the people in there, and also one to most care about their emotional well-being.

Joan may come off as cool and indifferent, but in truth, she is actually very caring individual. It is just the fact that her devoted nature to the God makes her sometimes forget how to act in normal human relationships. But there is no one who actually loves humans more than her. And speaking of love, she begins to notice eventually that for some reason, her thoughts get muddled when she’s in the vicinity of Leo, not to mention feeling of strange pain when they are separated.

Armed with the holy sword La Pucelle and the famous standard Croix de Lorraine, she is an awe-inspiring sight on the battlefield, wielding both holy powers and blessed relics to vanquish the foes of the God and her friends.

Author Notes: Joan is actually one of the very first characters chosen to the team of heroes, which shows in the amount of backstory she has. She went through many iterations, finally ending up with a combination of “Rei Ayanami Clone” and “Shy Teenager Hero”. The former is her outer shell, while inside, she is mostly the latter. Oh, and she loves chocolate.

The Tag-Along Kid

• Little Red Riding Hood

“It doesn’t matter that I’m young or that I’m short. I’m coming with you, and that’s that. Do you think I, who was there from the very beginning, wouldn’t want to witness how it ends?”
    Element: Wood
    Hero Rank: D
    Home-arena: Forêt de Compiègne – Maze of Paths
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0i6YFrSs6c
    Young girl originally from France, brought to Rome as a slave after she was captured by patrolling legionnaires during the first war between France and Rome. She was bought by Cicero who treats her like a daughter, and she is what could be considered the head of the slaves living in the domus of Cicero. A bright and always curious individual, she has a tendency of getting herself in trouble, but her willpower and sheer determination usually gets her out of it, too.

She was the first person to actually be able to talk to Leo prior to him drinking the liquefied first language, since Red Riding Hood was very well-versed in languages. They conversed in English, which formed a strong relationship between the two from the very beginning. As the story progresses, Leo becomes something of a brother figure to the Red Riding Hood, and she guides him on the path to become a hero, in turn.

Red Riding Hood has nearly no offensive powers at all, but she makes up for it with her quick wits and incredible luck that nearly throws off the fate itself. Her special abilities include very high resistance to magic that stems from nature, as she is a representation of the coming spring. In addition, she has a sixth-sense like ability to see the right “path”, whether it is through the forest or to the victory.

Red Riding Hood also has two abilities that make her a very special hero. She is one of the few heroes in the world to possess “Auto-Life” ability that brings her back to life, even if she was devoured by a beast. The other ability she has is to summon the biggest and baddest wolf of France, Courtraud. The beast is as big as a barn and carries two bells of Notre Dame as a sign of atonement for his past sins. It is this beast that Red Riding Hood rider to battle.

Oh, and Jeanne refers to Red Riding Hood as “Demoiselle Rouge”, sometimes. I guess she tries to be polite.

Author Notes: Red Riding Hood has been around for forever in the book, and she is few of the central characters. If the book ever gets published and I get any say on what the cover looks like, Red Riding Hood is the second character after Leo who would deserve a place there.

By the way, Red has a fierce rivalry with a certain Alice from England, although the latter appears only as a name in the book.

The Team Pet

• Ariel

“Dilili~! Dila~!”
    Element: Wind
    Hero Rank: E
    Home-arena: Nameless Island – Tempest of Illusion
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YweSLg_R4xw
    Young, vibrant and ever-emotional fairy companion of Leo. He gets her as a gift from a slave trader after he buys away his most problematic “merchandise” (that is, Sigurd and Yennenga). Leo quickly forms a contract and befriends with the fairy, though as he is not a magician himself, he cannot understand her speech, only her intent. The tiny magical creature got quickly attached to her new master, because unlike the previous ones, he did not task her with any missions. He just treated her as a new friend.

As most low-class fairies, Ariel can only hold one emotion at time inside her, making her very emotional and prone to most extreme mood swings. She likes most of the people Leo becomes friends with, but for some reason she always has distaste towards Tamamo-no-Mae, probably due to the latter’s status as a “semi-maybe-not-really-fairy”.

While owning an extremely low hero rank, Ariel still brandishes very potent magical powers. She can control winds and, to some extent, lightning and spirits. She also is capable of creating a link between her senses and the senses of another person, allowing them to experience what she is experiencing.

Her special skill is a spell that strands the victims into a pre-prepared island floating in the sea between dreams and reality. It could be likened to being shipwrecked into one’s own dreams, and as long as Ariel has the magical energy, she can keep this illusion up.

Had a bad run-in with a weird English man before meeting Leo. From that day onward, she has hated poetry with a passion.

Author Notes: Ariel is sort-of mascot of the group, what with being like a mix between beautiful green butterfly, a will-o-wisp and a girl. Most of the time she is riding on Leo’s shoulder, a place she considers a “nest” of sorts. However, due to her smallness, she tends to be forgotten, even by the author *laugh*.

----------------Hero Team Additions----------------

The Cool Big Sis

• Marcia Antonia

"Don’t relax, pal. This is the party of Bacchus, and you’ve been invited. So, let’s dance! Till the crescent moon fades from the sky!”
    Element: Moon
    Home-arena: Rooftops of Alexandria – Party under Crescent Moon
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiROVmI9KA
    Mark Antony, but not quite. No, this is Marcia Antonia, one of the “What If” characters that Mythologica sometimes has. She is the female version of Mark Antony, one of the most famous Roman warriors and leaders, and the second love-interest of the main character, Leo. Marcia was an excellent battlefield general whom the Caesar took notice, and soon took under his wing. Marcia was trained to be one of the best warriors of all Rome, though not certainly most civilized. As she chose Bacchus as her patron god when she was young, she has been ever since more or less drunk. However, that does not hinder her one bit, as she is like a beast on the battlefield. Often nicknamed as the Tiger of Alexandria, she fights with the ferocity of a wild animal when under the influence of Bacchus’ blessing.

Antonia has a fierce rivalry with Julia Caesaris Octavia, other prodigy that Caesar trained, and eventually adopted. While Antonia’s loyalty to Caesar comes from witnessing him first-hand when he was leading his troops, and being saved more than once during the battle, Octavia’s comes simply from the fact that he admires the man to the point of blindness. This is something Antonia cannot stand, as she thinks (although she would never admit it) that someone as great as Octavia should not sully herself like that.

Recently “rented” to the queen of Egypt Cleopatra to her war against Ramesses II, Antonia now leads the troops of Alexandria from victory to victory, visiting Rome every now and then. She wields a huge khopesh sword called Philippan, a gift from her mother-figure Cleopatra. In addition, she is a master of disguises and has a peculiar gift from Bacchus himself…

Author Notes: Antonia is actually younger than she might come across, being only 18 in the book. This makes her the same age as Octavia, marking them both as true child prodigies. How an 18-year old is able to handle the hangovers of that magnitude is beyond me, but somehow Antonia just keeps on going…

The Sixth Ranger

• Julia Caesaris Octavia

"Come at me, those who have no fear! I promise that I shall fight fairly against each and every one of you, to show you the brilliance that is the Sun of Apollo!!”
    Element: Sun
    Home-arena: Palatine Apollo – Blazing Sunrise
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qwqV...eature=related
    Yet another “What If” character, this time a genderbent Octavius, who would be later known as Augustus. Octavia is the main love interest of Leo in the book, and, in a way, the “main heroine”. It is her burning desire to see Caesar survive the Ides of March that she nearly begs Leo to stop the history, and the latter can’t refuse (tears of girls are his greatest weakness). Antonia herself is a centurion at the time of the story, completely devoted to Caesar who adopted her after she proved herself in the battlefield. Blunt, honest and chivalric, Octavia is first a warrior, then a leader, third a fighter……her “girl”-aspect comes at the very last spot of a long, long list.

Very dramatic and hammy at times, Octavia believes in honor above everything else, scorning those who use underhanded tricks to get what they want. She is also the chosen of Apollo, her patron god, which makes her the natural enemy of Antonia, chosen of Bacchus. Still, the two of them used to be very good friends as children, and even today, hints of that former bond can be seen amidst their fierce rivalry. Just like Antonia, Octavia has earned her own nickname which reflects the relationship of the two - Lion of Rome.

Octavia is armed with a blessed breastplate and a huge spatha sword – or that what it seems to be, at least. In truth, her sword is actually one of the arrows used by the god Apollo to kill the Python, the immensely powerful earth-dragon of Delphi. Octavia also has blessing of Apollo of the highest magnitude, which she can manifest as a physical attack containing the power of the blazing, purifying sun.

All in all, Octavia is a person who devoted her whole life to Caesar and his reign, but slowly begins to doubt herself, as she discovers feelings she has never felt before, all towards Leo; the strange who arrived from another world…

Author Notes: Sprung from the idea “hey, I want a female centurion!”, Octavia wasn’t supposed to be a genderbent character at all, first. However, as the premise started to take form, I started to think what Roman hero I could use as a heroine, and then, after staring at Octavia’s (just Octavia back then), I went “…..doesn’t that sound like Octavius?”. And, well, here’s the result.

----------------Villains----------------

Manipulative Bastard

• Hannibal Barca

“You have no idea what pain and suffering are. But rest assured. When I am through with you, you shall be wishing to experience them.”
    Element: Darkness
    Home-arena: Slaughter of Cannae – Pits of Bloody Fire
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBhkdu1cqoE

The Demon of the Carthage.

As a young man, Hannibal was shaped by the atrocities caused by the First Punic War, and grew feeling great hatred towards the Roman Empire. He especially remembered the savage killings of the Mamertines and the Roman legions that soon followed. Unknown to him, most of these vile acts were orchestrated by a senator of that time Caligula. His goal was to create a perfect enemy of Rome, as he knew other politics would soon vote for his exile.

In other words, from the beginning, Hannibal was to be the tool of Caligula’s revenge.

Thus, Hannibal became renowned and feared for his cruelty and savagery when it came to anyone loyal to the Roman Empire, although he expressed a more neutral side to those who were willing to join his cause. After the death of his father, he began hatching plans to finally take down Rome.

To his surprise, he found an “unexpected ally” in Caligula, who, with his mercenaries, had been exiled from Rome some years back. Together, they recruited the young and troubled Brutus and the sharp-minded and arrogant Nero in their cause, and started planning the downfall of Rome, starting with the death of Caesar.

Hannibal is a master manipulator who, unfortunately, has never realized that he too has been manipulated. Very sure of his own thinking ability, he finds it unlikely that someone would have truly directed his path of life for such a long time.

In battle, Hannibal utilizes his war-elephant that is more akin to a modern assault-tank than a normal animal. In addition, his abilities are based around flames of darkness that destroy any obstacle from his way, be their living or not.

Author Notes: Hannibal, although not exactly a bad guy in real history, turned into quite the mastermind of villainy in Mythologica, topped only by Caligula. He was first supposed to be walking on the rope between good and evil, but after Brutus came in, he became the soft-spoken demon he is now.

Complete Monster

• Caligula

“I am the monster god of this world. Stand before me, and I shall tear you apart like any other hero that tries to do the same.”
    Element: Water
    Hero Rank: A
    Home-arena: Bridge of Baiae – Feast of the Insane Tyrant
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_xuT6iPLio

As a three-meter tall giant of muscle and power, Caligula is an intimidating sight for anyone. He was ironically nicknamed “Caligula” by his former comrades in the army, a name which he first hated, but after his insanity started to set in, amusedly accepted.

Original a senator of great power in Rome, Caligula started showing signs of insanity very early in his life. He reveled in torturing, killing, raping and simply bringing misfortune to others. As his debauched activities grew larger and larger in scale, Caligula started to realize that soon even they would not satisfy him. And with the other Senators demanding for his banishment from Rome, he was finally able to come up with something that would bring him the ultimate ecstasy.

He would kill Rome and rape its body.

Thus he set forth many plans that would allow him to take revenge on Rome after his exile. First of all, he initiated the First Punic Wars, therefore creating an outside threat to Rome in the form of Hannibal. Later, he plotted with his sister, Agrippina, to create an inside-threat to Rome. Agrippina would conceive his child, but to the public it would be informed he was of her current husband’s. This child would be trained to take Rome down politically from inside-out.

However, to this day, it is unsure if Nero truly is the daughter of Caligula or not.

After his exile, Caligula patiently waited on the right time to come from him take down Rome. and finally, that year arrived, with Hannibal amassing his army in the south and Brutus plotting on the assassination of Caesar due to the influence of Nero.

However, Caligula did not predict the arrival of a certain self-proclaimed hero of love…

Author Notes: Caligula is truly an utter monster, being clearly the most “evil” character of the book. He also serves as the main villain, being behind pretty much everything. He is also one heck of a fighter, as he can go toe-to-toe with demigods when it comes to brute strength.

The Starscream

• Nero

“You fool! Who is more fitting to be the empress than I, the most beautiful of all women? Than I, the wisest of all women? Than I, the richest of all women?”
    Element: Metal
    Home-arena: Domus Aurea – Theater of Golden Splendor
    Theme music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij6Id...feature=relmfu
    The political prodigy of the senate, and the richest woman in Rome.

Nero was, from the very start, trained by her mother Agrippina in the arts of politics and scheming. Lavished with luxury and beautiful gifts, her personality grew warped into extreme arrogance and hedonism, thinking everyone else as below her due to her being able to outsmart nearly everyone

She was told from the beginning that she would be part of her uncle’s, Caligula’s, plans in destroying Rome. As such, she slowly planted the seed of idea into Brutus’ head, about bringing back the Republic by murdering Caesar. However, as the scope of Caligula’s plans dawned upon her, she slowly started to reconsider her goals.

After all, she did not want for Rome to be destroyed. No, she wanted to be the new Empress of Rome.

She suffers her first political defeat in the hands of Leo Cyrus King, concerning the start of the persecution of Christians in order to draw uneasiness to the truce between Charlemagne and Caesar. Humiliated and furious, she starts seeing Leo as her arch-rival, and devotes all her power in order to win against him.

Strangely enough, while certainly sly and scheming, Nero does not believe in underhanded methods when it comes to her rivalry with Leo. Perhaps it’s a birth of an odd sense of justice that’s brewing inside her. Nevertheless, she can be said to be “The Dragon” of the Five-Bad Band.

Author Notes: So here she is, in all her arrogant glory. If I had to compare, I guess she resembles Furudo Erika in my eyes? Pampered princess with natural talent and wealth, and someone who cannot stand losing. Oh yeah, hates Octavia with all her might, but finds Red Riding Hood adorable.

Speaking of the Five-Bad Band, I guess this would be Mythologica’s Five-Bad Band:

The Big Bad: Caligula
    The Dragon: Nero
    The Evil Genius: Caligula
    The Brute: Antaeus
    The Dark Chick: Kahina
    The Sixth Ranger Traitor: Brutus

Wait, isn’t that six?

---------------- After Thoughts ----------------

So here’s the first patch of information I lay on the table on this project. In time, I’ll be adding translated scenes, more character bios (there are a LOT of them), description of places, weapons and stuff, and all that stuff. The book is planned to be about 300 ~ 400 pages in size, and I’m supposed to finish it before the summer. Right now things are looking good, having just passed the 100 page limit.

Another reason, other than the pestering from hero and some other users, I posted this here was to start a sort of “brainstorm circle”. I know that BL has attracted a lot of mythology/history nuts because of Fate franchise. Due to the premise of the story, the same information can be used in this book too. So, if you have an idea for a character, why not throw it out? The plot is not yet solid, and quite flexible, so adding new characters could be easy. And if I see a mythological/historical figure that would make me go “Oh, s/he would be so cool to include!” you can trust me to put it in the book. And if it gets published, well, I’ll be sure to add your name to the big “Thank You” list at the end (This being a big if, as book markets in Finland are not that great).

Third reason is a bit more simpler. Since a work like this requires a lot of research to keep the environments and all that sort of stuff realistic (I still want some degree of reality, as opposed to the Sengoku Basara’s giant hotpots),and since there are lot of equipment and other things that need name in the language of their origin-country, I figured that there might be someone with better knowledge than me in BL who could correct me if I’m wrong.

And finally, well, I just wanted to share this project with you guys, since BL has been the source of my writing inspiration for long, and I would have not gotten nearly as much training in writing had I not written fics here. Just a sort of “Writer’s Diary” about the progress and building the world, story and the characters, on the long road of finally sending this thing to a publisher.

Well, till the next update~

-------- Verg Avesta
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; May 24th, 2012 at 09:52 AM.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    What... what a mess! What a beautiful mess! Chaos at its finest!

... what can I say, while it surely has its good points, it also looks like the kind of story I would stay away from... :P

Well, let's wait until you post more.

and with heavy dose of Xanatos Gambit-style politics thrown on top.
    Good idea!

in a world where empires are led by demigods,
    Incidentally, not one of the kings you mentioned is a demigod (except maybe Ramesses and Japan's Emperor)... :P

Blog Entries
    Good idea!
    The Senate debates between Leo and Nero are hell of a fun to write, actually.

Incidentally, not one of the kings you mentioned is a demigod (except maybe Ramesses and Japan's Emperor)... :P
    Eh, Alexander is (from lineage of Zeus), Caesar is kind of an odd case, being revered as a god when he's an emperor......but yeah, mostly it was just me building up hype. Of course, there are demigod leaders too. Just not amongst the ones I mentioned.

YESSSSSSSSS

TAKE ALL MY MONEY AND GIVE ME BATTLE PORN.

Also there is a figure I would like to see, hopefully it fits the world.

Aijaruc
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Blog Entries
    Aaah, yes, Aijaruc. I'm actually familiar with the character, and I perhaps will add her as character in this book as well. Most likely she will become known to the main characters through Morgiana the Clever.

Blog Entries
    You're amazing, Verg.
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    If it's Verg, then I'll follow it to the ends of th earth.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Just read through this, and I think it will be grand. Really.
    ...and I totally didn't try throwing money at my computer to fund it. Totally didn't. XP
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually interested in this talk of Spain and the potential historical figures affiliated with them. Possibly an appearance of El Cid, or even lol Don Quixote?

Possibilities~
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is no-one from Irish Mythology on the team.

Why, Verg? Why? Where are my Cú Roí and Conn of the Hundred Battles shenanigans? Where?

Naah, I am just messing with you. Looks really interesting, mate. =P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erlkonig View Post
    You're amazing, Verg.
    Quoted for greater justice. Verg, you're a beast.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

Blog Entries
    Actually, one of the first battles is Oisin versus Antonia. He's a pretty kickass, kinda like Kojirou.

I'm actually interested in this talk of Spain and the potential historical figures affiliated with them. Possibly an appearance of El Cid, or even lol Don Quixote?

Possibilities~
    Spaniards are actually quite a complicated bunch. On the other hand we've got El Cid there, but on the other hand, we also got the stuff that happens in Song of Roland. So you can expect some pretty fiery debates, nearly bordering a civil war. Doesn't help with most of their merchants trying to push the conquering of America.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm so hipster, only pre-Roman Spain interests me.

Dosidataskeliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

And yes, this is that thing you were mentioning earlier that you needed Latin help with? :P
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the same one. Thanks for that help, btw.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No problem, ser Verg.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Woah, Verg, this does look extremely interesting.

I am looking forward to this.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Blog Entries
    This really is freaking cool. Mainly because HOLY SHIT CHARLEMAGNE AND THE PEERS but also because EVERYTHING ELSE HOLY SHIT. I'd love to see Reinold de Montalban and Holger Danske, and a lot of the awesome Celtic badasses.
    Last edited by Spinach; January 21st, 2012 at 01:47 AM.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wonder what will be up with Saladin and the Crusades xD.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Blog Entries
    Well, although I'm more into the "WOO CHARLEMAGNE" part, if you ever need a hand with Spanish culture and whatnot you could ask me or Ergast, since we're both spaniards. Though it seems you're in the right track?
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

Blog Entries
    Well, I would appreciate it. The Spanish have been a kind of a question-mark for me so far, since I want them to get into whole Song of Roland thing with the France, but then again, with El Cid, wars like that would not be that easy.

Oh, and question for everyone.

For a long time, I've been thinking that I should make Nero a woman, just to make an in-joke/shout-out to Extra. Should I?