Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Like Glass (HF True, AU)(Sakura, Rin)(One-shot)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Poor Shirou.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Oh, sod this. I'm not getting into a debate about the ethics of responsbility (and degrees therein); my views on the themes against the narrative and the application to HF; to what degree Sakura was consciously or unconsciously killing; or if she should have committed suicide. I'm out until one side or the other makes a statement so outrageous that I have to say something.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Poor Shirou.
    He'll get over it. Eventually. Maybe.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    I never said it was wrong for her to be happy, I just said I don't like HF True for mostly glossing over all the people that died for it.
    It doesn't "gloss over it", it just doesn't spend a large amount of time dwelling on it because that would just be stupid. If people spent all their time moping about the deaths of innocent people who they were not in any way responsible for killing, we'd get nowhere.

I'd have preferred for any True ending coming out of that route to be bittersweet due to all of the sacrifices. Don't put words in my mouth.
    Why shouldn't Sakura be allowed an actual happy ending, like every other damn heroine has? And, the "sacrifices" exist in every other route too, they're just not made as explicit. Sakura being the most obvious one.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    Given that it's Shirou, I'd imagine he'd come chasing after her, to be honest....

Blog Entries
    ... does he still need the prana that Sakura provides to avoid reverting to doll size?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    ... does he still need the prana that Sakura provides to avoid reverting to doll size?
    Not mentioned in the fic proper, but he doesn't have the doll body. Ilya worked some serious magic and just restored his body to what it used to be.

Blog Entries
    Sequel idea: Sakura wanders into Misaki City.

Blog Entries
    Not mentioned in the fic proper, but he doesn't have the doll body. Ilya worked some serious magic and just restored his body to what it used to be.
    Ahhh; poor Ilya...
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

.....Damn yo-

Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlology View Post
    Sequel idea: Sakura wanders into Misaki City.
    Please no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure that I should be all sad and stuff but I laughed at the Batman line and there went any semblance of sadness I could have.

Year 1

Salt Corner

Quote Originally Posted by hayate View Post
    He's the exception. We see him swimming in with the
    gold
    good
    waifus.

He got his share of woes as with other players, but it has been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of different SSRs, both as F2P and P2P.

I don't even wish to stand beside him as I got 2 consecutive IRs at my work the very same month after I got Jeanne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    Okay:

First of all, a big FUCK YOU to everyone who got Holmes
    Second of all, a DOUBLE FUCK YOU at Laith because asahkwbebnfj,hhfshfls;
    Third of all, a TRIPLE FUCK YOU to people who quote Laith's gacha posts. THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING HIM IN MY IGNORE LIST IS TO PREVENT THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    fuck laith btw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laith View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I should be all sad and stuff but I laughed at the Batman line and there went any semblance of sadness I could have.
    Dammit.

Ah, well. Line edited and changed. Don't know if it works better, but no more Batman reference.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    That's better.

Year 1

Salt Corner

Quote Originally Posted by hayate View Post
    He's the exception. We see him swimming in with the
    gold
    good
    waifus.

He got his share of woes as with other players, but it has been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of different SSRs, both as F2P and P2P.

I don't even wish to stand beside him as I got 2 consecutive IRs at my work the very same month after I got Jeanne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    Okay:

First of all, a big FUCK YOU to everyone who got Holmes
    Second of all, a DOUBLE FUCK YOU at Laith because asahkwbebnfj,hhfshfls;
    Third of all, a TRIPLE FUCK YOU to people who quote Laith's gacha posts. THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING HIM IN MY IGNORE LIST IS TO PREVENT THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    fuck laith btw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laith View Post
    That's better.
    Mission accomplished! Thanks to Hymn as well, who also pointed it out back when I was too lazy to bother changing it.

Blog Entries
    Christ, that didn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    It doesn't "gloss over it", it just doesn't spend a large amount of time dwelling on it because that would just be stupid.
    'Gloss over' is damn similar in meaning to 'spending very little time on it' in my book.

If people spent all their time moping about the deaths of innocent people who they were not in any way responsible for killing, we'd get nowhere.
    Sakura, cool. We're basically in agreement on that. But Shirō isn't responsible for the deaths that went on to be caused? Really?

Why shouldn't Sakura be allowed an actual happy ending, like every other damn heroine has? And, the "sacrifices" exist in every other route too, they're just not made as explicit.
    1)Division between 'active' sacrifice - the people dying in HF - and 'past' sacrifice - Shirō's sense of self, Artoria's happiness etc. One demands a greater reflection than the other. Particularly given the level of active involvement in each case from the main characters. Shirō takes an active decision to allow people to die for Sakura. He was not responsible for having his sense of self burned away and latching onto the ideal of a hero. And if something is made more explicit, then surely it does demand greater attention, no? It's unsatisfactory for me that the sacrifices do not get their relative share of attention in HF True, when compared to the rest of the route.

2) There was one previous good end. CotD, UBW True, HF True and LE are all bitter-sweet to one degree or another. Moreover, that was labelled a 'Good End', so I take it less seriously. I would be more (though not at all fully - HF deserves a True End, even if it's just Normal renamed) content if HF True were called HF Good.

Sakura being the most obvious one.
    Entirely unfair. We were utterly ignorant of Sakura's pain both in the text and metatext. You can't count her as a sacrifice - we simply know too little, and she's involved too little for that to happen. If each route didn't unlock the next, you would be correct. As it is, I cannot accept your point.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Christ, that didn't last long.

'Gloss over' is damn similar in meaning to 'spending very little time on it' in my book.

Sakura, cool. We're basically in agreement on that. But Shirō isn't responsible for the deaths that went on to be caused? Really?

1)Division between 'active' sacrifice - the people dying in HF - and 'past' sacrifice - Shirō's sense of self, Artoria's happiness etc. One demands a greater reflection than the other. Particularly given the level of active involvement in each case from the main characters. Shirō takes an active decision to allow people to die for Sakura. He was not responsible for having his sense of self burned away and latching onto the ideal of a hero. And if something is made more explicit, then surely it does demand greater attention, no? It's unsatisfactory for me that the sacrifices do not get their relative share of attention in HF True, when compared to the rest of the route.

2) There was one previous good end. CotD, UBW True, HF True and LE are all bitter-sweet to one degree or another. Moreover, that was labelled a 'Good End', so I take it less seriously. I would be more (though not at all fully - HF deserves a True End, even if it's just Normal renamed) content if HF True were called HF Good.

Entirely unfair. We were utterly ignorant of Sakura's pain both in the text and metatext. You can't count her as a sacrifice - we simply know too little, and she's involved too little for that to happen. If each route didn't unlock the next, you would be correct. As it is, I cannot accept your point.
    This. Thank you for saying this, Seika.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

.....Damn yo-

Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Blog Entries
    *reads fic*

Goddammit, Beam ;_; Though I have to give you a 'thank you' as well, that just gave me motivation to go and do some more writing on my fic. Better channel this grief/angst/whatever into writing and get it out of my system, it's more productive this way
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Elf, dealing fanfic crack for Beast Lair since 2007.
    Elf: Crack Dealer. Story at eleven.
    'Fae is Foul' - My SAO/ZnT Crossover fanfic (SB Thread) (FFN Link)

Blog Entries
    Need sleep now. But just to make the assertion that HF True gives anything resembling an adequate treatment of the route's sacrifices utterly untenable, here is the entirety of the characters' comments on it:

Rin: "It's been two years. Do you think you can manage?"
    Sakura: "Yes. It's a slow process, but I'm able to accept a lot of things. I think letting guilty feelings crush me is the same as running away. I'm going to do what I can and do my best."
    Rin: "I see."

That's it. She blithely accepts that and goes on to talk about Sakura becoming the Second Owner for Fuyuki.

The narrative gives us some more. How much more? Another two lines.

'Nature is in its full bloom, and there is nothing left that reminds of the hard cold days.'
    'Stash away both what you lost and gained, for life continues on.'

'There's nothing left that reminds of the hard, cold days'? Barely five lines out of an entire ending? Pull the other bloody one, Nasu, it's got sodding bells on.
    Last edited by Seika; January 31st, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

the master of infinite roads lantzblades's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    this is better then the previous stuff of yours beam (in regards to sakura) but i still find the resolution of her break down and abandonment of shirou to be a violation of her character.
    http://forums.darksidemoon.net

come join us, Darksidemoon is a new forum for discussion of all things tm

it is my firm belief that regarding the ban of mike1984 I have been given insufficient reason for the affair and it's conclusion, further than this I feel that the light manner it has been treated in is appalling. It is my sincere hope that he is not regarded in the same way as actually malicious posters who have appeared on beast's lair or otherwise as a joke to be snickered at when spoken of in the future. I will not forget my friend or view him in the manner those in charge here have presented him and his actions, nor will I accept the situation as it stands where people snicker at him as if he were a joke.

Blog Entries

It was beautifully written, and I loved the imagry . . . but yegod I need some fluff right now.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post

It was beautifully written, and I loved the imagry . . . but yegod I need some fluff right now.
    Like two red pandas playing in the snow?

Last edited by Chojomeka; January 31st, 2012 at 12:34 AM.