Page 1252 of 1891 FirstFirst ... 25275211521202124212471250125112521253125412571262130213521752 ... LastLast
Results 25,021 to 25,040 of 37817

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JetKinen View Post
    Considering how much of a huge success F/GO is, I wonder if there is like a growing list of academic essays on the Nasuverse in Japan

A quick search on Academia.edu points me towards at least two articles, but I wonder if there are more.
    What did you possibly search for to find that? Because any related terms I can think of give nothing on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Surpass her level, if you dare. hayate's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JetKinen View Post
    Considering how much of a huge success F/GO is, I wonder if there is like a growing list of academic essays on the Nasuverse in Japan

A quick search on Academia.edu points me towards at least two articles, but I wonder if there are more.
    Someone who wrote a treatise on Kara no Kyoukai, Notes or even DDD will amaze me more.

Saturation of Fate is too much that a term like "Servant", "Magus" or even "Master" is automatically being associated with Fate.
    Not dealing with it...

Why even try?

This is golden...
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    Lol Ishtarin went full Aqua
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    I've seen people in this forum spend the GDP of a third world country into Grand Order
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    Yeah, there's a saying that you should strive for perfection knowing full well you won't achieve it. Saber looked at it and said "Hold my Beer"
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    And then all her friends resented her for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Seriously? Are those in English?
    Managed to find 3.

"Identity of Summoned Heroes: Aspects of Psyche and Phases of Persona in Fate/stay night"
    This paper investigated the possibility of irradiating archetypal correlatives of individuality, through the examination of the description and expression about the spells used in summoning magic. Several interesting Japanese video games and anime shows are introduced in the notes of this paper.
    Which is also available here.

"Existence, Phenomenon and Personality: Individuality in Figurines, Anime and Game"
    A study of fictional existence and meta-identity of individuality. This book consists of subculture studies of figurines, cult movie, video game and anime. Various PVC figurines such as Hatsune Miku, Black Rockshooter, Asuka, Rei and Senjogahara Hitagi are examined in order to corroborate the components that constitute the characteristics of a persona.

Uploaded file is a variant example introduced in the book expressing the separation of the meaning from presentational iconography following the manner of Rene Magritte
    So it seems to be an excerpt from this.

"Reshaping historical and legendary European figures in the Fate’s universe"
    In the 21st century, the impressive growth of cultural exchanges implies a strong stimulation to local imaginaries and personal imaginations. More than ever, fragments of One’s culture are transferred and assimilated, deformed, restructured by an Other’s. Among those, some serve as new raw materials for writers and are used in various ways, whether it is as an historical background, a parodic one, fantasized and exotic characters, or even as moe-elements in the otaku database (Azuma Hiroki, 2001). This creates a great opportunity to witness an exponential development of transcultural and transtextual productions. This way, the circulation of cultural elements amplifies as well the chance of revitalizing – understood as giving a second life – and hybridising ancient ones in unexpected areas. In the meantime, the reorganisation of cultural elements through fictional works challenges and modifies their perception by the readers. The more foreign the fragments are to the readership, the more fictionnalisation might influence them – even more when they possess a limited knowledge of their original values. For researchers in literature, the consequences of such a situation in our century ought to arouse their curiosity since it confronts numerous concepts (i.e. nationality, identity, the impact of fictionnalisation …). And amidst the areas of contemporary cultural exchanges, the “crossroad” where Europe encounters Japan is worthy of interest.

In this paper, I intend to observe how some historical and legendary figures of European cultures are reshaped through the prism of a successful Japanese popular work: Fate/Stay night – and its universe. Created by Type-Moon, in 2004, as a visual novel composed of three different scenarios, it has been adapted in manga and animation following the principles of the media-mix strategy – as well as its prequel, Fate/Zero, first published as a light novel (2006-2007). In a transcultural and transtextual approach, I study how this fiction offers a peculiar approach of European characters (King Arthur, Cú Chulainn, Alexander the Great…), challenges the readers’ perception, as well as reactivates ancient elements in the 21st century.
    The only one available in English, but unfortunately the paper hasn't actually been made public.

- - - Updated - - -

My bad, the last one is a conference presentation, that's why it's not available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Thanks a lot, savepoints! I'll read them later.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Well how foreign papers can work sometimes is they put the abstract out in english but that's it
    The first two are book chapters like that
    The last one was actually a panel discussion at this workshop https://mutualimages.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Rayquaza is too good for her.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    give her hydreigon
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

I was thinking either that or Druddigon.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

US Friend Code
    Druddigon for sure.

On the other hand Mega Gallade feels like a really good match. Nickname it Gilles.

did Nasu ever give info on the train of thought that went into making Kiara?

because her choice of religious attire, usage of martial arts and pleasure derived from emotionally damaging people, it seems like he started with the logic of "lets genderbend kirei"

JP Friend Code
    500595933 | 紅 (pm)
    Kirei Araya
    Ki Ara
    Kiara

i saw something like this
    Chaldea Heroes

Personal skill
    Quote Originally Posted by GundamFSN View Post
    Nikiri has what I dub Blessings of the Boobs, see. As long as what his rolling for has two conspicuous mountains, they'll come to him one way or another.
    Quote Originally Posted by GundamFSN View Post
    Well, fine. Nikiri has this thing called 「我が往くは爆乳の彼方・・・!」
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikiri View Post
    GundamFSN. Thank you.

Just before rolling I said 「我が往くは爆乳の彼方・・・!」

First ticket. Da Vinci-chan NP2.

They are nothing alike.

Nasu is a Buddhism nerd, everything about Kiara is heavily Buddhism-centric

They are nothing alike.

Nasu is a Buddhism nerd, everything about Kiara is heavily Buddhism-centric

how are they so different besides their religion of choice and sex drive?

are nuns a thing in eastern religions?

Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    how are they so different besides their religion of choice and sex drive?
    Everything about their backgrounds, motivations, characters, philosophy, personalities to their actions

are nuns a thing in eastern religions?
    Yes. There are tons of Buddhist nuns. Like just take Japan for example, plenty of famous female historical figures become Buddhist nun. Chacha for example

JP Friend Code
    because her choice of religious attire
    She's a Buddhist nun
    usage of martial arts
    She is not only an expert magus but can use Buddhism martial arts and even Dakini arts (as Tamamo noticed when she pushed Passionlip into spirit form using Dakini magic).
    and pleasure derived from emotionally damaging people
    No. She is completely different from Kirei in this regard. She does not seek pleasure from emotionally damaging people whatsoever. Her goal is always to become one with the fundamental truth of the universe (Shingon Buddhism ideal) aka become a Buddha on the same level of Vairocana/Amaterasu, to reach the seat of god and obtain omnipotence which will bring even more pleasure to herself. All of that is to bring salvation to mankind in her mind. However, because she believes that only herself is human, is mankind, she considers everyone else to be disposable, which then leads her to seek pleasure for herself, for salvation to herself. This is vastly different from Kirei being a sadistic nasty priest.

i wasnt asking in terms of position

i was reffering to nuns only for the choice of attire.

can you point to any buddhist sect that dresses exactly like Kiara does in her base human form as an alter ego?

- - - Updated - - -

This is vastly different from Kirei being a sadistic nasty priest.

i was thinking along the lines of the description of her clairvoyance skill, which does protray her as a sadist that enjoys mental torture

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    lol, I don't think you're going to find a Christian nun that wears that attire either you know

because Christian nuns don't exactly wear cocktail dresses

Maybeee if Gawain was in charge of their costume then they would

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    lol, I don't think you're going to find a Christian nun that wears that attire either you know

because Christian nuns don't exactly wear cocktail dresses
    I think he's talking about the general color scheme then design really
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

JP Friend Code
    can you point to any buddhist sect that dresses exactly like Kiara does in her base human form as an alter ego?
    Yes. Chinese monks and nuns during the Tang Dynasty wore black robes. Even now there are several sects using that color. It's not a strange thing.
    When she reaches demon bodhisattva state, she is based on the Bodhisattva Guanyin so the color scheme changed to white similar to her. The design of the clothing is more to fit the fantasy settings rather than being 100% accurate to RL.
    i was thinking along the lines of the description of her clairvoyance skill, which does protray her as a sadist that enjoys mental torture
    That's the same thing Tamamo Lancer commented about Kiara, because that's basically the same as Golden Fox in CCC. They both have certain sadistic tendencies. It's not something essential to her character or that which motivates her to seek pleasure and turn demon like it motivated Kirei. Kirei acts on that, while Kiara just has that sadist quirk turn on whenever she sees some deep shit in the enemies and try to shit on them similar to the fox.