Page 1272 of 1892 FirstFirst ... 27277211721222126212671270127112721273127412771282132213721772 ... LastLast
Results 25,421 to 25,440 of 37826

Thread: The Type-Moon Miscellaneous Thoughts Thread

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I never could understand Avalon being called asspull or its variance thereof
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

Blog Entries
    a hint of Foreshadowing earlier on (and hopefully nothing too obvious)
    which is what they did with Avalon

really still not seeing what is asspull-y about it

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    I mean asspull is probably a bad way of putting it since it was foreshadowed earlier, but it gets the point across.

It was something of a miracle that he kinda pulled almost out of nowhere to secure the win.

Blog Entries
    I don’t understand it being out of nowhere either. The central part of king arthur’s Myth was immortality granted by the sheathe.

it would be like if in bizarro fate, saber had Avalon and fought with bajiquan then at the last second shirou returned Excalibur to her and then someone said WTF, where did that sword come from, who would expect King Arthur to have that?! Lol, such asspull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    Well. Shirou's brand of projection is asspull magic. Considering all the things we learn later, like the struggles and hazards of doing it, it makes use of Avalon more implausible.

And it's only at the moment he near dead after being eaten by grail mud does he remember and pulls off a functional projection of the divine fairy noble phantasm and actually deploys the NP effect.

But of course I'm sure the whole having Avalon shoved in him most of his life and contract with Seiba is the out for this little thing.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

Blog Entries
    ok, ok, im legit, no sarcasm, confused here

like,

1) the VN clearly said that Avalon back when fighting Kirei was byproduct of his projection
    2) before fighting Gil and Kirei Avalon was already planned to be used, he didnt just suddenly remembers it
    3) how is something that got properly explained in narration of itd pros and cons an asspull?

srsly, how are you people defining these things that does not count as asspull an asspull

im legit not being ironic here, like

- - - Updated - - -

how are these things asspull?
    srsly, how?

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    He gave it to Saber. That was the plan, for her to have a Noble Phantasm to use against Gil. As opposed to having it in him to prevent him from dying when he dies

I mean 'remember' as in, being able to recall the 'blueprints' and project. Which is probably because it was in him since fire.
    Also that, why did he wait til he was being eaten by grail mud - a second time even - before doing it if that was the plan? The way that moment is depicted (though it's been awhile since I read it) is that the image of Avalon only comes to him in that dramatic last moment which makes him
    project
    reach for it
    I'm not sure if he can consciously do it - the depiction of its first use was in a haze when he was being beaten up by Gil.

I'm using the word asspull lightly when describing projection. His projection and UBW is pretty much the in story way he gets useful things like weapons to fight servants, Rho Aias to block Gil, Rule breaker to save Sakura, Kibisis to switch to top with Rider etc.

Misc. Thought: lol, google is seriously using Shiokawa's picture for Nasu
    Last edited by Strange_One; June 9th, 2018 at 08:20 AM.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Like I said, it was bad wording on my part. It's properly foreshadowed in Shirou's confrontation with Gil, and justified via how Shirou's power works+Him having the original the whole time (which was also well foreshadowed with both Saber's Identity and Shirou's magic healing powers)

It's more that Shirou was... well, he was beaten, he knew it, and then he goes 'Bam, Avalon Bitches!' to pull a out-of-nowhere victory.

Like, I know asspull isn't the right term, but... Iunno. I guess it's no more of a come-behind victory then any of the others.

Still probably my favourite of the Three Climaxes for the VN though. The Dual Activation of Avalon was pretty hype.

Blog Entries
    thats the thing

like, everytime i heard someone use "asspull" describing something that actually got proper explanation and reason behind it and was actually narrated properly
    i really always go

- - - Updated - - -

im not pointing at you specifically, forumghost, its a general thing
    its just that i heard plenty people describe Avalon as asspull, both here and outside, and all i can think of is "but thats not even what asspull's definition is...?"

like, am i the weird one here for using the definition of asspull from tvtropes

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The fact that he says what Rule Breaker does in all 3 routes (go back and check, it's in all 3), is pretty good setup.
    Plus, he only thought about using it for Sakura after Ilya explained about the contract with Angra Mainyu.

It's a good example of buildup, proper thought from the MC, and execution. Can't even really allude to it being an asspull.
    With Avalon, given he dreams about it and Caliburn, their appearance isn't really asspull-y due to the nature of his powers.

My bad there. To be fair, the narration describing how every punch Shirou received from Kotomine hurt the guy's hands but also made Shirou heal and only increased his rate of becoming swords is really memorable, but the plot stuff related to worms is not so.
    Silly as this might be, I guess I can see it since that scene isn't given as many visual cues.

But Sakura pretty much telekinetically trying to wring him out like a towel is something memorable too.
    That was actually an interesting facet. Being possessed by AM let her use the person's body like a literal marionette.
    Last edited by Altima of the Gates; June 9th, 2018 at 09:02 AM.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    thats the thing

like, everytime i heard someone use "asspull" describing something that actually got proper explanation and reason behind it and was actually narrated properly
    i really always go

- - - Updated - - -

im not pointing at you specifically, forumghost, its a general thing
    its just that i heard plenty people describe Avalon as asspull, both here and outside, and all i can think of is "but thats not even what asspull's definition is...?"

like, am i the weird one here for using the definition of asspull from tvtropes
    Going by TvTropes, Avalon falls under Eleventh Hour Superpower, not Asspull. Although YMMV as always.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    A much bigger asspull than Avalon was the whole Greater Grail / Lesser Grail concept being suddenly introduced out of nowhere, just in time to provide a relatively neat answer to how to save Sakura and also not let the Shadow keep eating people.

TvTropes never fail to come up with dumb and dumber terms

Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    TvTropes never fail to come up with dumb and dumber terms
    Eh, I think the issue is less with the site and more with people using as an authentic scholarship tool.

Blog Entries
    im like. p sure that the concept of different sort of grails was already a thing at least during UBW route
    or at least foreshadowed

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors 8000's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Yeah, they were talking about greater and lesser grails in UBW. They just didn't elaborate till later.

Karl in Extella Link is a white guy with the power to enslave and assimilate all others into his belief system and territory and his 2nd outfit makes him look like something out of Alice in Wonderland

wow. TM isnt being subtle about the Disney criticism

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    His second outfit is him cosplaying as a King card, because one of the kings (I forget which, I think it's the King of Hearts?) is actually meant to be Charlemagne.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, yes it's hearts. King of Clubs is Alexander the Great, Diamonds is Julius Caesar and Spades is David.

...New OT4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Quote Originally Posted by 8000 View Post
    Yeah, they were talking about greater and lesser grails in UBW. They just didn't elaborate till later.
    Hm. Can you remember when they did that in the novel?