Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123458 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 259

Thread: Author Tags

  1. #41
    New E Tom B NuitTombee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    455
    Blog Entries
    3
    Gonna finally bump it with an Update - Added tags for Kilich and Certis Baliano. (Plus some others I can't remember, it's been a while.)

  2. #42
    Powered by infinite rage Comartemis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Ass End of Nowhere
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    591
    Is any progress being made on implementing content tags?

  3. #43
    Κύρια Ἐλέησον Seika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perilous Hall
    Age
    23
    Posts
    12,218
    Friend Code
    000000000
    Blog Entries
    44
    Standardising that would be very difficult, and probably take more effort than is at all reasonable to expect. I think the best we can do is leave it up to the individual authors at this point. And now that tags really are getting used constructively, maybe we will see that take off.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

    If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

    Democracy on Beast's Lair

  4. #44
    Powered by infinite rage Comartemis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Ass End of Nowhere
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Standardising that would be very difficult, and probably take more effort than is at all reasonable to expect. I think the best we can do is leave it up to the individual authors at this point.
    This is insufficient. There's at least one snuff fic on the front page which was completely unmarked last I checked (that being the opening post of Fishie's drabble thread). Stuff like that really really needs to have mandatory warning tags to keep people from tripping over unmarked landmines.

    I had spoken to Elf about this in a PM some weeks ago but she never got back to me on whether the mods were going to implement it.
    Last edited by Comartemis; May 12th, 2012 at 04:46 AM.

  5. #45
    Κύρια Ἐλέησον Seika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perilous Hall
    Age
    23
    Posts
    12,218
    Friend Code
    000000000
    Blog Entries
    44
    More a job for an in-post warning (at the start, obviously) than for a tag, surely?
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

    If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

    Democracy on Beast's Lair

  6. #46
    New E Tom B NuitTombee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    455
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
    Is any progress being made on implementing content tags?
    Were you asking me or using the thread to ask in general? If the former, it won't happen, I'm way to lazy and I don't read every story posted. If it's the latter then, as Seiya said, it's up to the individual authors to mark their stories as such.

  7. #47
    Powered by infinite rage Comartemis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Ass End of Nowhere
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    More a job for an in-post warning (at the start, obviously) than for a tag, surely?
    No, because as Fishie demonstrates some authors don't have the common courtesy to warn people that there might be objectionable stuff in their stories. The warnings need to be made mandatory under penalty of action by the moderators.

    If it's the latter then, as Seiya said, it's up to the individual authors to mark their stories as such.
    And again, that's not good enough thanks to the authors who don't do it.

  8. #48
    Evil Good RadiantBeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    USA
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14,933
    Blog Entries
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
    No, because as Fishie demonstrates some authors don't have the common courtesy to warn people that there might be objectionable stuff in their stories. The warnings need to be made mandatory under penalty of action by the moderators.
    .... Why?



  9. #49
    You're stupidity is terminal Five_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontariariario
    Age
    23
    Posts
    23,575
    Friend Code
    BN: FiveX#1720
    Blog Entries
    34
    "Objectionable" is not really an objective measurement, I'm afraid.
    The Manhattan Project: Is it a sin to kill for your country? In an age of nationalism, where do you draw the line between right and wrong? In the 1960s, eight people seek peace amidst war and tragedy.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Well if you ever want to make good posts, you know where to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Canada might be the ideal.
    [11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

  10. #50
    Evil Good RadiantBeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    USA
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    14,933
    Blog Entries
    57
    Basically what Five said. If the content bothers you, just click out and don't read it.



  11. #51
    Powered by infinite rage Comartemis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Ass End of Nowhere
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    .... Why?
    Because it's there and there's no way to tell that it's there until you're already neck deep in Shirou having his jaw removed. A little late for "just click out and don't read it!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    "Objectionable" is not really an objective measurement, I'm afraid.
    No, but "snuff" is objective. So is "lolicon". Or even just "lemon" or "yaoi". Or pairings tags for that matter. This is not rocket science. Tag story threads according to their content so we can rule out stuff like that from thread searches. If danbooru can do it for pictures then we can do it for stories.

  12. #52
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SeiKeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    47,440
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
    Because it's there and there's no way to tell that it's there until you're already neck deep in Shirou having his jaw removed. A little late for "just click out and don't read it!"
    Then tell us this: why is this something that we should punish formally instead of just telling people to not be stupid about it and tag?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?


  13. #53
    TATARI Heiress ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Night of Wallachia
    Posts
    24,866
    Friend Code
    083945095,ask for Discord
    Blog Entries
    42
    It is a courtesy for authors to put warnings in stories for what is generally considered objectionable content (and most of the time people actually do take it upon themselves to put in warnings where appropriate). It should not, however, be a punishable act to neglect to do so, nor should it be mandatory. If something is genuinely offensive all it takes is concerning mod intervention should be a single edit and a warning placed where appropriate.

    I believe people should be banned for more than ZOMG THIS STORY HAD NECROPHILIA VAMPIRE RAPE SEXUALLY CHARGED SCENARIOS AND THE AUTHOR DID NOT EVEN WARN US ABOUT THAT. There are far worse punishable offenses than somone's wounded sensibilities.

    Feel like making every kind of tag for all the stories out there? Fine. Be our guest. But we sure as hell aren't banning someone because they dun goofed, did not put a warning label and you willing read underage gore all the way through.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; May 12th, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
    * Dullahan 12/13/16 9:30pm
    there is an important difference between bullying and mindbreak
    * ~Keo 12/13/16 9:30pm
    one makes her cry and in one, she stops crying eventually

    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.



  14. #54
    Κύρια Ἐλέησον Seika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perilous Hall
    Age
    23
    Posts
    12,218
    Friend Code
    000000000
    Blog Entries
    44
    I don't like the implication that failing to tag a lemon or a homosexual story (that last was a really unfortunate example to choose, by the way) is ever going to be so objectionable that it could be 'mandatory under penalty of action by the moderators' to tag. Mind, NSFW notices are a courtesy that should be observed, just as we currently do with pics.

    Further objections: if you're going so far as pairing tags, you might as well refer to a TVTropes page - once that kind of aspect must be tagged, you're creating far too much work for the author.
    The Danbooru comparison doesn't follow - it's based on collating pictures, whereas this forum focuses far more on discussion (ff.net is probably closer to danbooru, I think).
    And, in all honestly, I don't think many people are going to be seriously harmed by reading a certain way into a 'fic with content that they find objectionable. Yes, you've read a bit of it. But once you've got to the problematic part, you ought to have the sense to just leave. I don't see that it's quite as big a deal as you're making out. NSFW is another matter, because that can actually cause problems with reading this site at work/on a public network and so on. Pairings? No, I really don't think so.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

    If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

    Democracy on Beast's Lair

  15. #55
    Attention Span Gone Aiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,820
    Blog Entries
    26
    x2 to everything Seika said, here.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:


    Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

    NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you


    My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

    Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

    Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

    ??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

  16. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    England, UK
    Age
    32
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    22,644
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
    No, because as Fishie demonstrates some authors don't have the common courtesy to warn people that there might be objectionable stuff in their stories.
    I don't see what that has to do with "tags", though....

    The warnings need to be made mandatory under penalty of action by the moderators.
    Mandatory for what, though? Different people have different ideas of what is objectionable. I, for instance, would rather like a "Sakura dies in this fic" warning, because I find that "objectionable", but that is quite obviously not viable since it would be a spoiler.

    Quote Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
    No, but "snuff" is objective. So is "lolicon". Or even just "lemon" or "yaoi".
    To you, perhaps. Other people might find different things objectionable.

    I don't disagree with the idea of labelling lemons etc., but I think that it should be down to the discresion of the author and the mods what needs labelling. And I certainly don't think mods should be applying harsh punishments for it.

    Or pairings tags for that matter.
    That would be a spoiler, though.

    This is not rocket science. Tag story threads according to their content so we can rule out stuff like that from thread searches.
    The problem is that tagging applies to the thread, not to an individual post or story. Fish has written plenty of non-guro fics in that thread, but your idea would taint all of them with the "guro" label. Also, tagging is a lot less flexible than in-post warnings, because you need to find existing tags which fit what you've got.

    If danbooru can do it for pictures then we can do it for stories.
    Danbooru pictures aren't like stories, though. They have one single theme and show one moment in time.

    Plus, Danbooru pictures aren't tagged by the artist, but by the community. And the tagging is by no means complete (there are plenty of lolicon pictures that are not tagged as such, for instance).
    Last edited by Mike1984; May 12th, 2012 at 07:36 PM.

  17. #57
    Powered by infinite rage Comartemis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Ass End of Nowhere
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Then tell us this: why is this something that we should punish formally instead of just telling people to not be stupid about it and tag?
    Because they'll ignore you unless you threaten to do something about it, obviously.

    Quick someone check for me, has Fishie tagged his shit since I yelled at him about it a month or so back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Mandatory for what, though? Different people have different ideas of what is objectionable. I, for instance, would rather like a "Sakura dies in this fic" warning, because I find that "objectionable", but that is quite obviously not viable since it would be a spoiler.
    So tag it with Character Death.

    To you, perhaps. Other people might find different things objectionable.
    Tags are inherently objective. You either have the content and the appropriate tag or you don't have the content or the tag. Past a certain point personal taste comes into play but you can at least make an attempt at getting things that are likely to gross out significant portions of your readers.
    Last edited by Comartemis; May 12th, 2012 at 08:27 PM.

  18. #58
    You're stupidity is terminal Five_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontariariario
    Age
    23
    Posts
    23,575
    Friend Code
    BN: FiveX#1720
    Blog Entries
    34
    "Character Death" is a spoiler, though, for one. If you don't like it, then you can literally just click the back button, close the tab/window, whatever. Your eyes aren't glued to the screen, and if they literally are, I'm sorry for you.

    Frankly, adding tags and such like that isn't going to be enforced. You're one person arguing for something few if any other people care about. This is an exercise in pointlessness, since no one is going to about about tagging all the possibly objectionable material in a fic. Especially, then, if that material involves spoilers in some way.
    The Manhattan Project: Is it a sin to kill for your country? In an age of nationalism, where do you draw the line between right and wrong? In the 1960s, eight people seek peace amidst war and tragedy.

    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Well if you ever want to make good posts, you know where to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Canada might be the ideal.
    [11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

  19. #59
    Zap! Alulim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Broccoli
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,612
    Blog Entries
    12
    Wait...is the 'Shirou having his jaw removed' talking about me...?

    I mean, I don't think that I ever removed his jaw...cut him in half and ripped his rips open like an oyster, yes...but nothing about the jaw...

    Plus I think I put a warning at the top...but if I didn't then it was because of spoilers.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING


    Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

  20. #60
    New E Tom B NuitTombee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    27
    Posts
    455
    Blog Entries
    3
    Nah, he's referring to Fishie's first little snippet, but it does have a warning now.

    Quote Originally Posted by deviatesfish View Post
    Since everyone else is cluttering up the first page of the Fanfics forum with drabble threads and pushing down other threads from being seen by people too lazy to go to page two, I guess I'll do the same. Here's something I doodled for tusia.The following is NSFW and contains gore.
    Last edited by deviatesfish; April 14th, 2012 at 12:43 AM.

    So I guess you got your point across Comartemis.
    Last edited by NuitTombee; May 12th, 2012 at 08:47 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •