Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Author Tags

Blog Entries
    Gonna finally bump it with an Update - Added tags for Kilich and Certis Baliano. (Plus some others I can't remember, it's been a while.)

Powered by infinite rage Comartemis's Avatar
    Is any progress being made on implementing content tags?

Blog Entries
    Standardising that would be very difficult, and probably take more effort than is at all reasonable to expect. I think the best we can do is leave it up to the individual authors at this point. And now that tags really are getting used constructively, maybe we will see that take off.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Standardising that would be very difficult, and probably take more effort than is at all reasonable to expect. I think the best we can do is leave it up to the individual authors at this point.
    This is insufficient. There's at least one snuff fic on the front page which was completely unmarked last I checked (that being the opening post of Fishie's drabble thread). Stuff like that really really needs to have mandatory warning tags to keep people from tripping over unmarked landmines.

I had spoken to Elf about this in a PM some weeks ago but she never got back to me on whether the mods were going to implement it.
    Last edited by Comartemis; May 12th, 2012 at 04:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    More a job for an in-post warning (at the start, obviously) than for a tag, surely?
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
    Is any progress being made on implementing content tags?
    Were you asking me or using the thread to ask in general? If the former, it won't happen, I'm way to lazy and I don't read every story posted. If it's the latter then, as Seiya said, it's up to the individual authors to mark their stories as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    More a job for an in-post warning (at the start, obviously) than for a tag, surely?
    No, because as Fishie demonstrates some authors don't have the common courtesy to warn people that there might be objectionable stuff in their stories. The warnings need to be made mandatory under penalty of action by the moderators.

If it's the latter then, as Seiya said, it's up to the individual authors to mark their stories as such.
    And again, that's not good enough thanks to the authors who don't do it.

Blog Entries
    No, because as Fishie demonstrates some authors don't have the common courtesy to warn people that there might be objectionable stuff in their stories. The warnings need to be made mandatory under penalty of action by the moderators.
    .... Why?

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Objectionable" is not really an objective measurement, I'm afraid.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Basically what Five said. If the content bothers you, just click out and don't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    .... Why?
    Because it's there and there's no way to tell that it's there until you're already neck deep in Shirou having his jaw removed. A little late for "just click out and don't read it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    "Objectionable" is not really an objective measurement, I'm afraid.
    No, but "snuff" is objective. So is "lolicon". Or even just "lemon" or "yaoi". Or pairings tags for that matter. This is not rocket science. Tag story threads according to their content so we can rule out stuff like that from thread searches. If danbooru can do it for pictures then we can do it for stories.

Blog Entries
    Because it's there and there's no way to tell that it's there until you're already neck deep in Shirou having his jaw removed. A little late for "just click out and don't read it!"
    Then tell us this: why is this something that we should punish formally instead of just telling people to not be stupid about it and tag?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    It is a courtesy for authors to put warnings in stories for what is generally considered objectionable content (and most of the time people actually do take it upon themselves to put in warnings where appropriate). It should not, however, be a punishable act to neglect to do so, nor should it be mandatory. If something is genuinely offensive all it takes is concerning mod intervention should be a single edit and a warning placed where appropriate.

I believe people should be banned for more than ZOMG THIS STORY HAD NECROPHILIA VAMPIRE RAPE SEXUALLY CHARGED SCENARIOS AND THE AUTHOR DID NOT EVEN WARN US ABOUT THAT. There are far worse punishable offenses than somone's wounded sensibilities.

Feel like making every kind of tag for all the stories out there? Fine. Be our guest. But we sure as hell aren't banning someone because they dun goofed, did not put a warning label and you willing read underage gore all the way through.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; May 12th, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    I don't like the implication that failing to tag a lemon or a homosexual story (that last was a really unfortunate example to choose, by the way) is ever going to be so objectionable that it could be 'mandatory under penalty of action by the moderators' to tag. Mind, NSFW notices are a courtesy that should be observed, just as we currently do with pics.

Further objections: if you're going so far as pairing tags, you might as well refer to a TVTropes page - once that kind of aspect must be tagged, you're creating far too much work for the author.
    The Danbooru comparison doesn't follow - it's based on collating pictures, whereas this forum focuses far more on discussion (ff.net is probably closer to danbooru, I think).
    And, in all honestly, I don't think many people are going to be seriously harmed by reading a certain way into a 'fic with content that they find objectionable. Yes, you've read a bit of it. But once you've got to the problematic part, you ought to have the sense to just leave. I don't see that it's quite as big a deal as you're making out. NSFW is another matter, because that can actually cause problems with reading this site at work/on a public network and so on. Pairings? No, I really don't think so.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    x2 to everything Seika said, here.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    No, because as Fishie demonstrates some authors don't have the common courtesy to warn people that there might be objectionable stuff in their stories.
    I don't see what that has to do with "tags", though....

The warnings need to be made mandatory under penalty of action by the moderators.
    Mandatory for what, though? Different people have different ideas of what is objectionable. I, for instance, would rather like a "Sakura dies in this fic" warning, because I find that "objectionable", but that is quite obviously not viable since it would be a spoiler.

No, but "snuff" is objective. So is "lolicon". Or even just "lemon" or "yaoi".
    To you, perhaps. Other people might find different things objectionable.

I don't disagree with the idea of labelling lemons etc., but I think that it should be down to the discresion of the author and the mods what needs labelling. And I certainly don't think mods should be applying harsh punishments for it.

Or pairings tags for that matter.
    That would be a spoiler, though.

This is not rocket science. Tag story threads according to their content so we can rule out stuff like that from thread searches.
    The problem is that tagging applies to the thread, not to an individual post or story. Fish has written plenty of non-guro fics in that thread, but your idea would taint all of them with the "guro" label. Also, tagging is a lot less flexible than in-post warnings, because you need to find existing tags which fit what you've got.

If danbooru can do it for pictures then we can do it for stories.
    Danbooru pictures aren't like stories, though. They have one single theme and show one moment in time.

Plus, Danbooru pictures aren't tagged by the artist, but by the community. And the tagging is by no means complete (there are plenty of lolicon pictures that are not tagged as such, for instance).
    Last edited by Mike1984; May 12th, 2012 at 07:36 PM.