Thread: Character Trivia - "Rumour Mill"

Blog Entries

Character Trivia - "Rumour Mill"

Characters are a collection of interwoven details.

Some details are neat. Some details are straight up irrelevant. Some details are both, and you want to talk about them anyway.

What are your favourite details about your fanmade Magi or Servants that didn't make it into the sheet proper?

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

Blog Entries
    I heard Ren smells funny
    It's winter in Sapporo. And as the weather stirs, so too does a new Holy Grail War.

Fate/UpRise
    Character Compendium
    Story - Ch. 3

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    My Second Latest Sheet, Baru Klinting is mute since her tongue is cut off, so all her dialogue is in sign language. I don't know how to communicate that on the sheet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gl4re View Post
    I heard Ren smells funny
    I would say "bullying is illegal" but given his status as of 5.3 you're probably right

Any mfer who has been caked in dust and dirt, drenched in sweat, locked in a shipping container for several hours, and poisoned probably needs a bath at bare minimum

Fate\last call
    night, dawn, and the birth of stars

╘══════════════════╕
    Characters
    Dictionary
    Poll
    Recent: Ch. ■
    next arc: Spring 2024

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So like, my Zellandine sheet for secret Santa, I didn’t go into it because it wasn’t directly related to the prompt I was given, but she is the ancestor of Lancelot which is funny for two reasons. The first being that Zell’s newborn son is stolen from her and given to Morgan le Fay to raise which means that Morgan has babysat at least two generations of Lancelot, and the other being that Galahad returning the Grail to Heaven was an extremely long plot going back generations and engineered by...a fallen angel of all people.

I don’t know why, but that tickles me for some reason.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

...I know no cure for evil. DracoScribe's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well I mentioned it in the CaS thread, but one of the things I wish I incorporated into my Puss in Boots is the Translyvanian version of the tale because it was just so different from the other versions but still more obviously similar to Puss in Boots. The funniest part for me was that the guy Puss is helping marry the princess is his adopted son and near the end of the tale she asks him to chop her head off. He doesn't want to of course but does it at her insistence and...pop! She turns into a person! But I couldn't 'cause it'd break the flow.

For my Nongyu and Xiaoshi sheet, it's mainly the parts from her perspective, like that she had a pavillion built for her by her dad, that is because her sheng was made of jade which is the reason why her dialogue color is jade (yes the hexcode is jade afaik), and just in general the story from her perspective. But again, it would've broken the flow I was making already.
    Author of:
    Persona 5: Refraction (SV link; FF.net link)
    "You didn't have to fight for me, you know." "And you didn't have to curl your hair so we'll look even more alike." Ren stared before he softly chuckled, Akira joining him not long after. With one simple decision as a child, Ren Amamiya goes to Tokyo alongside his little sister, Akira. (P5R Sibling AU) (Ren/Ann, Akechi/Fem!Akira)
    Chapter 55 on: April 24, 2024 (GMT +8:00)
    Velvet Throne
    My list of my Servants! Still small for now.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Baron Magnus's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll share something about Mary Celeste. The quotes on the card before the sheet reveal is a direct quote from the opening of Limbo of the Lost, the game.
    Rookie Lorekeeper, Amateur Extraordinaire, and all around nasunoob.

失敗作の神 God of Failed Work Spelror's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    in case you haven't caught on (or missed out that one part of the Creator Notes, The chapter dividers for Amenominakanushi are modified/actual lyrics of AI Girl and Deep Heart Sea
    which was why i was so damn insistent on turning this guy into a rampant AI.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    People liked Dinosaur Fascination a lot so I was going to start a series of childhood interests made into Nursery Rhyme Alter-Egos. Thankfully, I realized that was a terrible fucking idea.

I had briefly entertained the thought of making Ragnar a beautiful elven boy but completely forgot about it until Alexcoene revived the idea.

Daedalides Theos was originally going to be a Janus sheet. The overall concept was the same but I was going for a more literal connection with the labyrinth and revealing this Roman god was also Greek. I changed my mind halfway through the contest but you can still see stuff like Pérdix clearly talking about Janus in his relationships. I also don't really like writing Divine Spirits so that worked out.

I think that's all. Aside from that, it's usually stuff that's hinted at in the sheet but that I decided to not make explicit for whatever reason. Like Iapyx not being a Servant at all because they've both been alive since ancient times.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    My most recent magi, Tendou Shinka, is the 38th scion of her family. While sounds extremely excessive and ancient, one can piece the informations found from the sheet that the reason why they has reached that number already is because they all died young, they died in their 30s most of the time.

She is also the first character I made that openly discuss about free sex, which usually I'm a very prude and traditional person on this kind of thing.

I also extremely fond of the irony that the family use Konohanasakuya-hime as their patron goddess, which has a whole myth about being faithful, with these scions that fuck left and right because they can.
    Last edited by Spartacus; March 11th, 2023 at 08:05 AM.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Usually this doesn't happen because I tend towards including every relevant detail in the sheet, but my Ullikummi has Mana Burst (Volcanic) in part because the figure is theorized to be a personification/metaphor for the Theran eruption that devastated Minoan civilization and even reached the Mesopotamian World. Might even make an alternate (Saber or Avenger) version going into that more.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Castellan's Avatar
    It's probably cheating a little bit but I wanted to include some trivia for my take on Cú Chulainn that either didn't make it in or that I maybe wish I'd changed:

1) The connection with shame or failure is pretty well-attested in the sagas. The most violent Cú Chulainn ever gets is either when he's losing or when he's at the risk of being shamed. The one example we have of the ríastrad not being triggered by a fight in in Fled Bricrenn, when Briucu (notorious shit-stirrer) refuses to let the wives of the three competing Ulster warriors Loegaire, Conall and Cú Chulainn in through the front door of his hostel. Loegaire and Conall fix the problem by poking a support beam through the hostel's open windows for their wives to walk in. Cú Chulainn, knowing absolutely zero chill, rips the walls of the hostel off their foundation and tips the whole structure about 60 degrees so Emer can walk in through the improvised "door." Then Briucu threatens to sue him for damages if he can't put the hostel back together, but no matter how hard he tries he can't put it back exactly as it was. He freaks out, enters the ríastrad and apparently becomes the world's greatest Rage Carpenter because he manages to put the whole thing back together no problem.

2) They don't get as much PR in retellings of his story, but there is actually a person who can claim to have bested Cú Chulainn in a fair fight, and three more people who can claim they would have defeated him if not for the Gáe Bolg/cheating. The first one is Cú Roi mac Daire, the King of Munster in the Ulster Cycle (and also a giant). There's some suspicion that Cú Roi may have actually had his own saga corpus, because we keep finding references to more stories about him that just...didn't survive, and a lot of them treat him as if he's Cú Chulainn's marquee rival. His son Lugaid is also the one who eventually kills Cú Chulainn although the way Lugaid does it is basically using MMO raid boss tactics. Cú Roi's also the only decent king in the whole Ulster Cycle.

The three "woulda had him if not for the Cheat Spear/other circumstances" contenders are Ferdiad, Connla and Aoife. With Ferdiad, there's an even starker difference because Cú Chulainn learned all the same cles ('feats' - basically think of them as bespoke techniques) as Ferdiad from Scáthach, the difference between them is that he can only really use those specific feats whereas Ferdiad invents brand new ones on the spot during their duel and Cú Chulainn's scrambling to keep up. Connla just straight up has him dead to rights before he calls for the Gáe Bolg. No finesse, he's just his father's equal at the age of like...seven. During their duel, every swing of Aoife's sword chips off more and more of Cú Chulainn's blade until he's basically holding a stump and he only gets her because of the old "hey look over there your chariot's going over a cliff" maneuver.

3) People might wonder why it is that the ríastrad can seemingly be overcome by dunking him in water, and the answer is "humor theory." It's the same reason he's described as being literally hot to the touch most of the time. In humor theory, anger is synonymous with heat, and so an excess of anger (heat) can be overcome with exposure to water because it literally cools down the body/calms the humors. There are a few other funny examples of Cú Chulainn's excess anger in the sagas, my favorite being when Briucu (are you sensing a pattern) "reminds" Conchobar that 'hey don't you have a rule that says you have to sleep with the wife of every newlywed in Ulster on the wedding night?' And when he leaves the implication that Conchobar will have to do the same thing with Emer or otherwise basically lose his kingship, Cú Chulainn gets so angry that the rock he's sitting on shatters into a thousand pieces. At one point he's also having a nap in the king's court and when a servant goes to wake him up he groggily grabs the servant's head and smashes it into a rock. He's just an angry lil dude.

Blog Entries
    Man, I have plenty, but I think it's been too long for me to remember any of the ones I could mention
    Do you like jazz short stories? Do you want something to distract from making Servants? Do you wish the idea of Shirou Kotomine didn't immediately bring edgelords to mind? Well, I can't promise it's good, but some would disagree with me.
    Fate/Without Justice