Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2012 Fanfic Contest Entries Part 1: Humor

Ahahahahahahaha! Hymn of Ragnarok's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh wow. I thought Unfortunate was very meh to bad at first, and poorly formatted, but knowing about the black text makes it much, much better. Dark humor, no doubt, but it deserves credit for being unique. I've never seen a story use that gimmick, and certainly not as the centerpiece.

Rule Breaker didn't strike a chord with me though, while the pool definitely did. Spots was also short and sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam

IS THIS REVENGE, HYMN? REVENGE FOR ALL THE ABUSE I PUT YOU THROUGH?
    That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, the black text use was creative, making "nobody notices Sakura" the only joke was pretty meh.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

後継者 Successor
    Blog Entries
    All humour read...I really liked URB the most followed by Day at the Pool, though Pool was kind of dry for most of it.

Spots and Unfortunate are pretty forgettable for me.
    Fic's
    Wishing Upon The Sun (Fate/Guyver) - Updated: 11/04/12
    Broken on the Rocks - Updated: 20/07/12
    Spoiler:

[11:37] <Wakarimaspin> Hahahaha, an NTR doujin by Tusia with three chapters. Chapter 1: Five and Leo share pure loving relationship, ends with Leo going on a trip and Five promising to wait for him
    [11:38] <Wakarimaspin> Chapter 2: Exiku the temptress comes along and slowly erodes Five's yearning for Leo, and takes him in a moment of weakness. Ends with Leo returning to see what has happened
    [11:38] <Wakarimaspin> Chapter 3: NTRNTRNTRNTRNTR

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Oh wow. I thought Unfortunate was very meh to bad at first, and poorly formatted, but knowing about the black text makes it much, much better. Dark humor, no doubt, but it deserves credit for being unique. I've never seen a story use that gimmick, and certainly not as the centerpiece.
    Well, like I said, without the black text gimmick (which fell flat for me because I was viewing it on a white board), it's really not funny and, given the nature of it, it comes across as mean and spiteful as a result. With the black text working as expected, I might have at least seen some comedy in there, although only the ending really seems like it has much comedic potential (as opposed to just being one long "take that" at Sakura). It's hard to tell, though, because I can't go back and read it again.

Blog Entries
    I found Unfortunate to be rather amusing. The fact that you guys keep saying it's dark humor when the humor is in black text makes me think that you are all trying to make a pun there. Whatever the case, using Sakura for the character to be ignored was pretty smart. It probably wouldn't have worked for any other FSN character.

Quote Originally Posted by EXiku View Post
    though Pool was kind of dry
    I see what you did there.

後継者 Successor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deviatesfish View Post
    I see what you did there.
    Unintentional, I assure you

Reading over my short review, I feel really mean - I appreciate the work the entrants put into it, but yes...humour is an individual taste. Whether you find someone who shares your tastes is a rare and lucky thing indeed.

I also didn't want to launch into all the grammar/spelling errors there were. Also, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't classify Unfortunate as 'Dark Humour' but then the joke was ruined for me because at the time I read it, Milbunk had missed one line that referenced Sakura >.> (I use the standard black BG) But still, it's not 'Dark Humour' :/
    Fic's
    Wishing Upon The Sun (Fate/Guyver) - Updated: 11/04/12
    Broken on the Rocks - Updated: 20/07/12
    Spoiler:

[11:37] <Wakarimaspin> Hahahaha, an NTR doujin by Tusia with three chapters. Chapter 1: Five and Leo share pure loving relationship, ends with Leo going on a trip and Five promising to wait for him
    [11:38] <Wakarimaspin> Chapter 2: Exiku the temptress comes along and slowly erodes Five's yearning for Leo, and takes him in a moment of weakness. Ends with Leo returning to see what has happened
    [11:38] <Wakarimaspin> Chapter 3: NTRNTRNTRNTRNTR

Blog Entries
    Yeah, the problem is that criticizing an anonymous work, without being able to talk with the author, can come off as pretty mean, so maybe you guys should wait till the names are out before extensively discussing and criticizing it.

Agreeing that it's not "Dark Humor" though, it's not really macabre/cynical or anything. A pretty harmless joke.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deviatesfish View Post
    Whatever the case, using Sakura for the character to be ignored was pretty smart. It probably wouldn't have worked for any other FSN character.
    Oh, what a shock, a not-too-subtle dig at Sakura from Fish....

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Yeah, the problem is that criticizing an anonymous work, without being able to talk with the author, can come off as pretty mean, so maybe you guys should wait till the names are out before extensively discussing and criticizing it.
    Why?

At least the author knows that we're judging the work on it's merits, and not because we like or dislike them personally.

Agreeing that it's not "Dark Humor" though, it's not really macabre/cynical or anything. A pretty harmless joke.
    I don't think Sakura would call Shirou forgetting her "harmless"....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Why?

At least the author knows that we're judging the work on it's merits, and not because we like or dislike them personally.
    Oh, don't misunderstand, giving constructive criticism is not bad, but once everyone starts repeating "the joke didn't work for me" it stops being constructive and it becomes attacking, just wanted to say that before there it becomes too much.

I don't think Sakura would call Shirou forgetting her "harmless"....
    But you wouldn't call it "dark humor" either, no? It's not about a serious subject matter, it's just about Shirou not noticing Sakura (it's funny because Sakura is shy and Shirou is dense), that's pretty harmless in my opinion.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Oh, don't misunderstand, giving constructive criticism is not bad, but once everyone starts repeating "the joke didn't work for me" it stops being constructive and it becomes attacking, just wanted to say that before there it becomes too much.
    Honestly, that's how criticism works. Sometimes, all you can say is "that just plain doesn't work at all, do something else next time".

But you wouldn't call it "dark humor" either, no? It's not about a serious subject matter, it's just about Shirou not noticing Sakura (it's funny because Sakura is shy and Shirou is dense), that's pretty harmless in my opinion.
    Well, honestly, calling it "humour" at all is a bit of a stretch....

But, yeah, I guess it doesn't really fit with the description "dark humour". Not sure what it does "fit" as, though, other than being entirely non-sensical and not very funny....

Former Fortissimo Fan TLer Kratosirving's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's all about perception. You may not find it humorous Mike, but others do. Coincidentally, a lot of other members enjoyed A Day at the Pool, while I thought it missed completely in trying to be funny.
    Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier Video Walkthrough: COMPLETE (thread here)

Kadenz Fermata//Akkord:Fortissimo Playlists
    Kisekitsukai (Seventh Chord) Playlist
    Mahoutsukai (Magi) Playlist)
    Final Arc Playlist

FGO Support Card (As of April 2023)
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I've always done and said what I feel and I don't let the opinions of others guide my actions. I've always marched to the beat of my own drummer and I will always march to the beat of my own drummer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratosirving View Post
    It's all about perception. You may not find it humorous Mike, but others do.
    Well, of course, but a lot of people here don't seem to find it funny, so....

Coincidentally, a lot of other members enjoyed A Day at the Pool, while I thought it missed completely in trying to be funny.
    Fair enough, but at least A Day at the Pool doesn't come across as being outright mean (whether that is actually intentional is not certain, of course)....

Random thoughts ahoy
    Author discretion is advised
    Change Its Spots
    When I first read this, I thought Milbunk forgot to upload the rest of the story somehow. The fic was interesting to read, but not really funny in a way you'd expect a "humor" entry to be. For me, it falls flat into last place. Probably written by Misheard
    Unlimited Rule Breaks
    It was great to read through from start to finish. I liked the ending, but personally, I would have enjoyed this fic a hellava lot more had it ended in a completely batshit insane manner rather than a somewhat anti-climatic one. probably written by KAIZA
    Unfortunate, Maybe, Amusing, Definitely
    It was amusing to read through, but nothing else. Though, after reading the "black text" comments and re-reading the story, it instantly became my favorite. Damn you Mereo.
    A Day at the Pool
    Funny at times, dry at other. It was definitely a good attempt, but overall, easily forgettable. Small note, Berserker won't die from the same attack twice, not "ability". In other words, Berserker can't be immune to GoB since GoB isn't an attack, just a gate that launches weapons from it. Probably written by the anon
    Overall,
    Unfortunate >= Unlimited > Pool > Change

Quote Originally Posted by Misheard
    I didn't really like any of these... Spots wasn't really that funny, Rule was toeing the line of repetition between 'funny' and 'getting boring', Unfortunate only had the ending to go for it, and Pool dragged on for me.
    But you're one of the contestants ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by deviatesfish
    It probably wouldn't have worked for any other FSN character.
    It's unfortunate, but I have to agree. Illya or Sacchin both could have worked, but Sacchin's for Tsukihime and Illya wouldn't have had the same effect as Sakura did.
    Last edited by Flame; March 7th, 2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Unlimited typo/derp works
    xxxx

Ahahahahahahaha! Hymn of Ragnarok's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, like I said, without the black text gimmick (which fell flat for me because I was viewing it on a white board), it's really not funny and, given the nature of it, it comes across as mean and spiteful as a result. With the black text working as expected, I might have at least seen some comedy in there, although only the ending really seems like it has much comedic potential (as opposed to just being one long "take that" at Sakura). It's hard to tell, though, because I can't go back and read it again.
    Well, I was lucky enough to read through first without noticing the black test. Like I noted.

Without the black text, the entire story would fall completely flat. It's the surprise and subversion upon noticing the hidden text that carries the entire joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    It's unfortunate, but I have to agree. Illya or Sacchin both could have worked, but Sacchin's for Tsukihime and Illya wouldn't have had the same effect as Sakura did.
    This. Were this story taking place in Tsukihime, Satsuki would have been just as valid if not a superior choice for a forgotten character. Ilya could technically work due to having no route, but Ilya is no wallflower. She nigh on demands attention with her very presence, and that's not including the Tiger Dojo. Ilya disappearing really doesn't fit the gag well. Sakura can fade into the background, and did exactly that in two routes. And of course, there's Sakura's reputation on the forum to consider. That helps.

This is a much more meta sort of humor, but it works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam

IS THIS REVENGE, HYMN? REVENGE FOR ALL THE ABUSE I PUT YOU THROUGH?
    That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    Well, I was lucky enough to read through first without noticing the black test. Like I noted.

Without the black text, the entire story would fall completely flat. It's the surprise and subversion upon noticing the hidden text that carries the entire joke.
    Well, yeah, that probably explains a large part of me not finding it funny (and, me finding it outright offensive follows naturally from that and the content...).

Plant Angel From Venus Misheard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flame View Post
    But you're one of the contestants ಠ_ಠ
    And I still didn't like any of them, so?

Mini Nephthys on Archive of Our Own
    - where my actual good fics live.

Blog Entries
    I think Pool would have worked better in a different format. If it was a doujinshi instead, it would have been easier for me to read/follow. As it is, I felt like the switching between the scenes was a little too quick and the scenes could have been elaborated upon.

Oh, what a shock, a not-too-subtle dig at Sakura from Fish....
    Oh, what a shock, a not-too-subtle, passive-aggressive dig at me from Mike.... even though all I did was point out something that many people agreed on seeing too.
    Last edited by deviatesfish; March 7th, 2012 at 09:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    It's true, Sakura is the least interesting of the heroines. Although when I discovered the blacktext, I liked it less. Sort of. After I laughed.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

JP Friend Code
    PM Me
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Misheard View Post
    Well, I'll agree the entries may have been a little weak, but still, they all had their moments.
    Humor is subjective, after all.
    *sigh*
    We'll have to wait and see what the judges say, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Misheard View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that. I'm just surprised that you don't like your own entry.
    xxxx