View Poll Results: Which Saber would be best for Shirou?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arturia (Original waifu--ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES)

15 26.79%
  • Nero (She's basically the love-child of Iskandar and Saber)

15 26.79%
  • Mordred (Because daddy issues)

20 35.71%
  • Attila (Just to be completly hipster)

5 8.93%
  • Siegfried (Screw the women, this boy needs a MANLY MAN)

16 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: The Son of the Great

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors gwonbush's Avatar
    The awesome one.

Creator of Mecha Tsundere Rin-chan hanashinobi's Avatar
    I will have to keep my eye on this

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Agailius View Post
    "So, he's the only survivor?" Emiya Kiritsugu said, exhaling a cloud of smoke from his lungs. He and Waver Velvet, the last two surviving Masters of the War as far as he was concerned, as well as the Servant Rider, who somehow sustained a form following the Grail's destruction, were conversing just outside the hospital room reserved for the boy named Shirou, who was, for the moment, still sleeping.

He had sustained multiple burn injuries of varying degrees all over his body, as well as many cuts, scrapes, and bruises; though what had nearly killed him was asphyxiation via the massive amount of smoke and ash the boy had inevitably inhaled. The trauma induced by the fire which had most likely killed any family he had, coupled with the air he had inhaled being thick with smoke, had, as the doctor told the trio, caused him to lose more or less all of his memories.

A boy crippled in body, mind, and spirit. The three knew such a broken existence could hardly be called living at all.

"The rescue teams are still out there looking for more," Waver replied, gripping his hands together, "But, so far, no one besides him who was salvaged from the Shinto District was able to survive the injuries they had sustained." Waver gritted his teeth, clenching his hands into fists. "But, even if he does survive, how can he continue on?"

"True, it'd take some helluva lot of treatment to even give the lad a chance to recuperate physically." Rider said smoothly, scratching his beard. "And with no known living relatives, he doesn't have much of any one to lean on."

Kiritsugu sighed for the hundredth time that day, inhaling another whiff of his cigarette into his lungs. After a long moment of almost stagnant silence, he replied, "The least we owe him is a second chance. I'll implant Avalon inside his body--it's restorative properties should heal him."

"Avalon?" Waver started with a jolt, "The sheath of Excalibur?! How the hell did you--" But realization suddenly then hit Waver. "...Then, Saber was..."

"King Arther--or, Arthuria, as proper." Rider commented.

"He needs it more than we ever will." Kiritsugu continued, "And, as I said, this is the least we can do. We, as Masters of the Grail War, are at least partially responsible for that disaster."

"Even if we save the boy's life, we can't guarantee he'll have the will to continue living." Waver argued in turn. "Who could possibly be able to recover from loss like that?"

"If he does have the resolve, I'll be more than willing to raise the boy." Rider suddenly declared with mild enthusiasm. The two Masters stared at him with some bewilderment.

---------
    *snip*
    Hmm... from F/Z, doesn't everyone know Saber's King Arthur after that fight against Lancer and they found out what the sword was under Invisible Air?

The 10 year timeskip, IMO, isn't a good idea when there's so much that can happen here. It could just be me used to fics like Tainted Ideals or From Fake Dreams that go into this, but a sudden jump with not much info is jarring.

And where's Waver after 10 years? Back in London, and left Iskander to do whatever? That doesn't seem quite right to me... at least Kiritsugu is accounted for, he probably died due to Angra Mainyu =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Elf, dealing fanfic crack for Beast Lair since 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    Elf: Crack Dealer. Story at eleven.
    'Fae is Foul' - My SAO/ZnT Crossover fanfic (SB Thread) (FFN Link)

Wait.... what. Komrade Kwestions's Avatar
    Yes, yes, and yes. This is awesome, and Taiga is the best comedy foil character in the Nasuverse. (And you may now have me shipping TaigaxIskander)

....But I ship Taiga with everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois McMaster Bujold
    The rule for the plot of character driven stories is to ask: So what's the worst possible thing I can do to *this* guy?' And then do it.

US Friend Code
    This amuses me.
    ... Does anyone remember this thread: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...-input-welcome ?

So, according to D&D's alignment check, I'm a True Neutral. Huh.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Flere's got it. The timeskip came out of NOWHERE - i expected at least a venture into "Rider being an incompetent father"

also Shirou's last name is another "woah man". Did I miss something in F/Z, or did you just make it up?
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I like it. Maybe toss in some flashbacks to show Shirou growing with those two. Extra points for a scene with Rider choosing his new name and Waver keeps shooting down his choices, while little Shirou just watches and eats his Corn Flakes.

Staring into space one piece of infinity's Avatar
    Also, are they living in the emiya household? Did kiritsugu just give it to them?
    "Everything in creation is flawed. Humans don't need to be mentioned. Air, intent, and even time. My eyes can see the death of things. They're special, like yours. So I can kill anything that lives. Even if that thing is God."

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by nununu View Post
    Australia sure has some mighty mojo, no?

What Fate/Stay Night character are you?

Emiya Shirou

Mafia Game if interested

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, the concept looks good here, but the time-skip was rather jarring, honestly. Although, it may be that you intend to go more into what happened in the intervening ten years at a later point, which seems fine to me.

How is Rider getting his prana? I doubt he has a church full of kids keeping him supplied.

Why am I holding a scale? The Curious Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Basileus777 View Post
    How is Rider getting his prana? I doubt he has a church full of kids keeping him supplied.
    Wasn't that to help fill his ridiculous prana storage capacity rather than being necessary?

daily dose of despair <3 Ruu-tan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And Rider still has Waver. He would be willing to give him the necessary prana, tantric rituals or not.

Regarding the latest chapter, I'm with everyone on the time-skip. It just appears out of nowhere... Do include flashbacks on Shirou's childhood, I want to see Papa Rider's parenting skills lol. Also, everyone knows about Saber's identity quite early in the Fourth War. Just telling. On the Emiya mansion, Kiritsugu might have decided to lend it to Rider and Waver for raising little Shirou.

Artist's block. Bigger bitch than karma, I swear.

This certainly is interesting. Although I still have a few questions as to how Rider is able to exist at all right now. As I understand it, the Corrupt Grail was capable of providing Servants with a new body, but they still required a constant prana intake. Since I doubt Waver has stockpiled a bunch of orphans under the *cough* "Emiya" residence, then I'm assuming that either Waver or Kiritsugu is nearby to act as a battery. At least I hope they are. Having "Uncle Waver" would certainly be an interesting addition to the cast.

Also, what is Shirou's position of magecraft. Rider being a figure straight out of the history books means that Shirou must have recognized that having Alexander the Great as your adopted father is somewhat...strange. I would assume that Shirou would have been informed of the true nature of his "father" as well as the existence of magecraft, correct?

To answer all your questions:
    1. I suppose the Time Skip was... rushed. It was kinda late when I wrote it. No worries--Shirou will have flashbacks.

2. "Shourisha" is a surname name I came up with. Since it'd be strange for Rider to be walking around as simply "Rider" or "Iskander," Waver came up with the name, "Raida Shourisha". And, yes, they had an argument on the surname. I, or the Rider in my fic, chose the name because it can be translated as "Victor," or "Conqueror," which, when Rider has recharged enough of his prana--'cause he hasn't been going around fighting these last ten years; he's been binge drinking and playing video games--finds can double as a title.

3. Yes, they live at the Emiya household. Kiritsugu lent it to them. Waver himself, being Lord El-Melloi II, has to go on extended trips to the Clock Tower, but he's moved his base of operations into Fuyuki. Whereas Rider fills in the role of a laid-back father, Waver fills the role of the high-strung, serious uncle.

4. And, yes, Waver is the one teaching him magecraft. Shirou, his origin still being Sword, is still more or less the same in his capabilities as a magus. What HAS changed is the fact that Rider is training him every day in swordsmanship and exercise, so when Lancer comes around, Shirou will be able to put up more of a fight.

5. Though he is by all means an unorthodox father, Rider has been a good one. In this fic, Shirou no longer has his martyr ideology. He's still a nice guy, a good cook, and likes to help people, but instead of following a "For Great Justice" ideology, he's more along the lines of a "For Great Happiness" here.
    My Job Description
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Magos Winter View Post
    When Agailius thinks your idea is really really stupid, you know you've screwed up.

Blog Entries
    4. And, yes, Waver is the one teaching him magecraft. Shirou, his origin still being Sword, is still more or less the same in his capabilities as a magus.
    Pretty sure that that would mean Shirou would be a much better magus. ^^;;;
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Why am I holding a scale? The Curious Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Especially considering Waver would probably notice and correct the screwup Shirou made with his circuits...

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Thank you for pointing it out. Sword-projection unlocked!
    My Job Description
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Magos Winter View Post
    When Agailius thinks your idea is really really stupid, you know you've screwed up.

To answer all your questions:
    5. Though he is by all means an unorthodox father, Rider has been a good one. In this fic, Shirou no longer has his martyr ideology. He's still a nice guy, a good cook, and likes to help people, but instead of following a "For Great Justice" ideology, he's more along the lines of a "For Great Happiness" here.
    This doesn't really make any sense to me. In canon, Shirou's personality can largely be attributed to his survivor's guilt meshing well with Kiritsugu's ideals. Rider's philosophy of "living large" doesn't really sound like something that would easily be adopted by someone who had his entire world torn down and burned to ashes before their very eyes. I honestly have difficulty seeing Shirou dedicating himself to any other ideal so vehemently.

You could potentially write it as something like "as the only survivor it is your duty to live for those that didn't, so you need to live more than anyone not just for yourself but for those that didn't survive" or something like that.
    Spoiler:
    As a general rule I hold no opinions that I have not been paid to hold.
    I am now a beta, so if you need help with a story feel free to ask.

Words of wisdom from ItsaRandomUsername:
    "Pssh, with proper writing almost anything can be logical. If it can work believably, then there's no reason why it shouldn't.
    Please note the keywords: "proper" and "almost". Bad storytelling mixed with nonsensical couplings are the drunk-driving of literature."

Quote Originally Posted by Kiiam View Post
    Nothing helps you mature more than a little murder, especially in the Nasuverse.
    We are Beast's Lair!
    Derailer among derailers!
    Look upon the continuity of thy threads ye mighty, and DESPAIR!

As American as a foreign immigrant EnigmaticFellow's Avatar
    This fic is relevant to my interests. Continue on with this please.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerang View Post
    Gilgamesh has A Lck.

wut bout that
    His fate as the most powerful Servant is to steamroll every war he takes part in.

Somehow, he manages to defy all odds and deny this fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous
    If only I could be respected without having to be respectable.

What Fate/Stay Night character are you?
    Kotomine Kirei
    You are Kirei. You've always been a little different from the rest. You probably have low social skills. Whatever, it's not like what they think matters anyway. Ever searching for something missing within you, you probably don't experience the same happiness as everyone else. Good and evil are just labels, you are who you are.