Thread: Dark Space (Mass Effect/TM)

Blog Entries

Dark Space (Mass Effect/TM)

Awake. An unfamiliar ceiling - white, unadorned.

That wasn't right. For the better part of a year now, Commander Ryougi had been waking up in her small cabin on the Normandy. This was not it. A bunk barely big enough for one under a blue-black ceiling was replaced by a massive, fluffy bed, in the midst of a brightly lit white chamber.

Still groggy, she swung sideways, sitting up on the edge of the bed. The room was bigger than her cabin, but not by much worth speaking of: a few feet on each side. The bed in its center was the prime feature of the room, pushing a small desk and a chair out towards the plain, windowless walls.

Standing up, she walked to a door set opposite to the bed, taking note of her clothes – some kind of generic military off-duty wear, with no real identification of any kind.

As she palmed the control panel, it flashed red: locked. She whirled, looking for another exit, a growing unease in her stomach. This was wrong. She shouldn’t be here. She should be-

A massive curve of ice dominated the sky, occasionally obscured by fragments of metal and jets of gas drifting across it. She hung below it, clinging desperately to a beam. Her other hand reached out, barely making it to the launch button for the escape pod.

Joker drifted away, just as a ray of yellow light lanced into the last intact part of the ship-

Oh. She should be dead.

At the least, it explained why she wasn’t in her cabin. But Heaven this was not, and she thought that Heaven was unlikely for her in any case.

---

She sat on the bed, running through a series of focusing exercises designed to deal with exactly this situation: isolated, with no goal to work towards, no stimulation, just waiting. As much as she wished for something to happen, nothing did.

The stillness brought back thoughts that had been instantly suppressed when they first surfaced. A hallucination, spawned of oxygen deprivation in her last breath. Limbo, some kind of cosmic waiting room. Something else, far beyond her comprehension…

Ryougi had never been one to fear death. But it was inevitable that once you were faced with the aftermath of it, it would be the location of your thoughts.

So, that was where she was drawn. She sorted through years of memories, trying to recall any scrap of philosophy or scripture that would make sense of the situation. However, it wasn’t the scramble of a condemned woman trying to find an answer before oblivion. If she found an answer, she would have one. If she didn’t, well… she supposed it wouldn’t matter.

Maybe half an hour later, the room suddenly began changing. The gentle white light dimmed, moving from clear to dimmer and dimmer levels, slowly blackening. Calmly, she stood from the bed, watching her small world as it disappeared into darkness.

Ryougi couldn’t really say whether she was disappointed or not when light burst into existence again.

She appeared to be standing on a plane of black glass, extending left and right as far as she could see. In front of her was something that even she, with her years in space, had never been able to see in person. The star was dying. A weak red giant, its massive envelope crawled around its core in complex fluid patterns, causing it to shine in orange and ice blue. Corona of flame streamed off its surface, circles of fire that could swallow the Earth with ease.

Unnerved by the sudden change, she swept her hand behind her, seeking some kind of stability. Fabric… the bed was still there, even in the apparent change of location. However, a glance confirmed that it seemed to not exist – as far as she could tell, she was touching air that felt like a blanket. Some kind of hologram then… and a confirmation that this probably wasn’t some kind of supernatural space.

“Magnificent, isn’t it?” came a woman’s voice from behind her. Deliberately, Ryougi turned. No use in looking like a frightened rabbit now.

A chair stood at the point where the light from the star began to fade into blackness, on the border between world and void. A woman sat in it, dressed in what would be called business casual: dark pants and a collared shirt, unbuttoned a bit farther than one would expect in polite company. The light made determining any kind of real color difficult, but her hair, pulled up into a ponytail, appeared to be red or orange. Taking a drag from the cigarette in her right hand, she watched… the sun, or Ryougi?

“What are you supposed to be, Saint Peter?”

The woman laughed. “Oh, no, you’re not dead - and I’m not a saint.”

“Then who are you, and where am I?”

“Well, where you are depends on how you look at it. I guess, in a sense, you’re dead: unknown to the rest of the galaxy, only a memory. On the other hand, you’re certainly alive: I made sure of that. We can’t afford to lose you.”

“Stop speaking in riddles. Who’s we?”

“Mmm, the whole galaxy. But more specifically, it’s I at the moment who needs you. Call me Jorden’s Puppeteer. The name should be familiar.”

She paced back and forth in Udina’s office, trying to figure out some way past this. The Council was obtuse as always: their evidence had been refuted as faked and unlikely. Not that it should have come as a surprise to them: it was the word of a dockworker against that of the first Human Specter. And as little as the Council thought of Humanity, they were still far more willing to give their word to him. Not to mention the Alliance, of course – he’d practically have to walk onto the Citadel and shoot the Ambassador in the head before they’d take any action against him.

&^*(&)^#$%^&*_^&

A burst of static through her headset. “(&@&*/*#@-ignal, check, check.”

She lowered her head, turning away from the door. “Who is this?”

“Ah, good. I’m Jorden’s Puppeteer. I might have something that interests you.”

“…it is.” A moment of silence, as she thought over her situation.

“What’s this about, then?”

Yeeaaaah.

Really, I should have made this longer, but I wanted to get something up to motivate myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    oh shit

you wrote it.

SUBSCRIBED.

*throws millions bank notes at screen* IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING.

WHY

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Oh hey! its this thing. I was supposed to send you a PM with all the possible stuff that was going to complicate the plot. Why didn't I do it?

School right. Give me an hour or so.

Year 1

Salt Corner

Quote Originally Posted by hayate View Post
    He's the exception. We see him swimming in with the
    gold
    good
    waifus.

He got his share of woes as with other players, but it has been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of different SSRs, both as F2P and P2P.

I don't even wish to stand beside him as I got 2 consecutive IRs at my work the very same month after I got Jeanne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    Okay:

First of all, a big FUCK YOU to everyone who got Holmes
    Second of all, a DOUBLE FUCK YOU at Laith because asahkwbebnfj,hhfshfls;
    Third of all, a TRIPLE FUCK YOU to people who quote Laith's gacha posts. THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING HIM IN MY IGNORE LIST IS TO PREVENT THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    fuck laith btw

Blog Entries
    Don't worry, nothing happened yet XD. Comments are always appreciated, everyone. Nitpick my ass to hell and back.
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

This an interesting idea.

I look forward to seeing where you take this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Space_Mook From SpaceBattles View Post

Long ago, in a distant timeline, I, Kyuubee, the Entropy-shifting Master of Grief, unleashed an unspeakable evil! But a foolish Mahou Shoujo wielding a magic shield stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow was struck, she tore open a portal in time and flung herself into the past, where my evil is raw! Now, the fool seeks to change the future, and undo the future that is Kyuubee..."

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    It's here! Well, nothing much I can say about it at the moment, Leo. Too little to nitpick on... Ryougi seems true to character, as does Touko, as far as I can tell. Although... In KnK proper she would probably be glaring with MEoDP about now. Assuming she had them.

Blog Entries
    WHERE I STHINGS UPDATE????

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    WHERE I STHINGS UPDATE????
    In my brain.

e: I will say I'm a bit surprised that nobody picked up on a thing I dropped in there.
    Last edited by SeiKeo; March 18th, 2012 at 02:50 AM.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like it, Leo! Do continue, sir, do continue!

It's good so far, and there's nothing really to critique at all. Personally, I would have put in some description of the temperature, but that's just me:whenever I walk into a room, one of the first things I take note of is the temperature.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Worried Soul That Watches Larekko12's Avatar
    So what's happening and all? Why is Ryougi in space and being ressurected? Why was she capitan of the Nromandy? What this about hte word of a doc worker versus the Frist human spectre? Why is touko acting like the illusive man? What's going on?!?!!?!?!
    Then let it break, if it shatters to pieces then forge an even better blade to take in hand. Should that blade crack then forge once again, untill the battlefield is a graveyard of blades that have fallen and but a single sword claims the field that embodies the world. Let that sword bear the world untill its time comes and time blows its dust to the winds. Then forge again.---Eric Dagger

Blog Entries
    Everything as you know it, is at an end.

EVERYTHING.

So, when the Reapers land in London, will King Arthur return to save Britain?

Blog Entries
    That would definitely be interesting. Then we need Drake's drum to be beaten, so she comes along; Charlemagne ought to return for France; Finn's horn is blown so that he and his knights ride for Ireland ... actually, if every hero associated with a King in the Mountain-type legend awoke, I'd start being worried for the Reapers.

And if the other species similarly have Heroic Spirits, with the same sorts of legends ...
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    That would definitely be interesting. Then we need Drake's drum to be beaten, so she comes along; Charlemagne ought to return for France; Finn's horn is blown so that he and his knights ride for Ireland ... actually, if every hero associated with a King in the Mountain-type legend awoke, I'd start being worried for the Reapers.

And if the other species similarly have Heroic Spirits, with the same sorts of legends ...
    If other species do, wouldn't the Reapers be prepared for that?

Then again, using the Nasuverse metaphysics, each Reaper is basically the equal of Alaya, given physical form, so maybe even Heroic Spirits would find it difficult to take one down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larekko12 View Post
    So what's happening and all? Why is Ryougi in space and being ressurected? Why was she capitan of the Nromandy? What this about hte word of a doc worker versus the Frist human spectre? Why is touko acting like the illusive man? What's going on?!?!!?!?!
    Will be revealed, good man.

Quote Originally Posted by nick012000 View Post
    So, when the Reapers land in London, will King Arthur return to save Britain?
    Mm, that would be fun. Not quite that much of a crossover though: more of a fusion?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larekko12 View Post
    Because Reapers.

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ooh, this'll be interesting. Consider me interested. Btw, Leo, any chance you could detail where you plan on this heading? It sounds like you've got this embedded solely in the ME2 timeline.
    Last edited by Vigilantia; March 26th, 2012 at 02:22 AM.

Blog Entries
    I lead it in in ME2, but it's constant through the entire series: 1 happened, I just haven't shown anything from it.