Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PhoenixAct's Unfinished Business

Tohno Akiha scribbled her signature down on the last of the morning’s documents giving her approval for some new business venture for one of the family members. Normally she liked to be neat about such things but today was different, today she was busy. As if on cue, just as she placed the last piece of paper into the out tray, there came a knock on her bedroom door and her maid Hisui entered.

“Akiha-sama, Shiki-sama and nee-san are here,” she spoke in her usual stoic tone but Akiha could hear the restrained cheerfulness beneath it. Indeed ever since the events of ten years ago things had become all around better for the members of her household; sometimes it was difficult for the twenty-six year old woman to believe that things had turned out so well after coming so close disaster.

“Very well Hisui, inform them I’ll be there in a moment.”

“Yes, Akiha-sama,” the maid curtsied and withdrew, closing the door behind her.

After Hisui had left she rose from her seat and went over to stand in front of her full length mirror, it might only be family but that was no excuse to look untidy, besides which they were also her favourite relatives. She quickly smoothed out her skirt and blouse and put a hand through her hair before deciding she was satisfied, smiling at her reflection she moved towards the door. When she reached the staircase and began to make her way down she could already hear voices coming from the sitting room Nii-san’s, Kohaku’s, Hisui’s and another one smaller, more hesitant and female.

She reached the bottom and walked into the sitting room to find Hisui talking to Nii-san and Kohaku the latter of whom was holding a young, redheaded girl against her hip. The sight of the child reminded her that the Tohno family elders were starting to push her into settling down and producing an heir, in fact they already picked out what they felt were some suitable candidates. She shuddered, frankly she rather spend the rest of her life in a coma than let any of those “gentlemen” lay there hands on her, some of them were old enough to be her father and one had been so obese she was sure he’d die before the year was out. The fact was, not only were these supposed suitors dislikeable on a personal level but each of the family heads had some hidden agenda in mind when they put one forward, plans that were almost certainly for personal benefit rather for the family as a whole.

Sometimes she felt like walking into the meeting a declaring that she was a lesbian just to see how they would react, if she was lucky they’d have a collective apoplectic fit and die. Judging by the looks on some of their faces at the time, it had almost happened when she had managed to arrange Nii-san and Kohaku’s wedding. Even though all of them had known about Shiki’s status as the adopted son, they had still put up a huge fight over it, objecting to the mere idea of one on the members of the main house marrying one of the servants. Akiha had needed to call in a few favours that day; but, as she watched them now she knew it had been worth it.

She still occasionally felt a bitter ache that it wasn’t her standing next to Nii-san like that but it was weaker now and came less frequently. Besides, she couldn’t begrudge Kohaku finally having found happiness, not after…everything.

- - -

Around midday the redheaded child felt the need to ask her aunt a question.

“Aunty Akiha?” asked the young girl.

“Yes?” replied the older woman, as she took a quick sip of her tea –

“Are you and aunty Hisui married?”

- and promptly choked on it. The smaller girl quickly hoped out of her seat and began to pat her aunt on the back.

After recovering from her coughing fit with the help of her niece, the elder Akiha glanced at the child’s face and found her staring back with a look of innocent curiosity. Briefly she considered whether Kohaku had somehow set that question up. The woman’s intentions may no longer be murderous but she still possessed and intelligent mind and her taste for mischief had become genuine. Yes, it did not pay to underestimate her sister-in-law. She attempted to regain her proper poise before speaking:

“No. What made you ask that?”

“Because mummy said that married people lived together.” Akiha narrowed her eyes, so it was Kohaku’s doing! Only judging from what the girl had actually said it could have been entirely unintentional. She would give her former maid the benefit of the doubt, for now. By the apprehensive look on the child’s face she guessed she currently appeared to be quite cross so she made a conscious effort to relax her expression. Although the idea did tickle her somewhat, maybe she should throw that in when she told the elders she was a lesbian? Imagine, both surviving members of the head family ran off to marry the serving staff.

She was jolted from her amusing thoughts by a large clattering sound coming from the kitchen. She looked around and found her niece was suddenly nowhere in sight. Akiha sprang to her feet and hurried towards the kitchen.

The evening continued...
    - - -

Okay so this fragment is from a potential, multi-chapter sequel to that Christmas Promise oneshot I wrote.

What do you think?
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

Blog Entries
    ... hmmm.

This one is interesting.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

Devious Akiha is Devious.

Blog Entries
    yuriyuriyuri
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

.....Damn yo-

Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    yuriyuriyuri
    That wasn't actually my intention with this one...but whatever.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixAct View Post
    That wasn't actually my intention with this one...but whatever.
    Son, I am disappoint.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

.....Damn yo-

Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Son, I am disappoint.
    Well you can imagine it ends in Akiha x Hisui if you want. Then all the Tohno family elders die of a collective heart attack.

Kohaku: Just as planned.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Little Kohaku Jr. learns trolling very early....

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Little Kohaku Jr. learns trolling very early....
    Children are like that.

"Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
    -- Chinese Proverb

Blog Entries
    It had Kohaku getting a decently happy ending. I'm okay with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Finally had the chance to catch up . . . *phew!*

Any of these sound like quite novel and promising tales, and I'd be curious to see where they'd go - but I'm still holding out for the next chapter of "Bundle of Joy."
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Heritage

Akiha stared down at the envelope on her desk with a large amount of trepidation. The inconspicuous item had been sitting there since this morning but the mere sight of it made her stomach sink and she had made a point of finishing all her paperwork first. Now a full hour after she had signed her name for the final time that day, the sun had long set outside and still she sat there, simply staring at it.

Inside the envelope she knew, was a piece of paper displaying the test results for a man who had come to her for help a couple of weeks ago. Well, he was little more than a boy really, still in high school. At first she had intended to simply turn him away but something about him had compelled her to at least hear him out, he'd seemed so familiar somehow even though she knew she'd never met him before. She hadn't known why she felt that way at the time but now she thought she did.

What this boy had said next had caught her attention. He had introduced himself as Emiya Shirou and then proceeded to list some symptoms he'd been suffering from, and she had suddenly understood why he had thought she could help. The symptoms he had described suggested that he was suffering from the same...condition, as her family. Unfortunately for him there was no cure for such a thing.

She'd suggested he look into his family history to confirm but he had told her that he was an orphan. His parents had died in a massive fire that had killed a lot of people and more than that he had no memory of them and no other way of tracing them. He didn't want to submit his DNA in case the scientist noticed anything unusual. Akiha could understand his line of reasoning, the risk of them finding anything was small but if they did...why leave it to chance, her family never had.

Her continued sense of familiarity had caused her to take pity on him and she had offered to have one of her family's contacts perform some test on his blood; he had agreed. The first test had been a “standard” DNA test and the results had come back fairly quickly. He had shown signs of demonic heritage but that wasn't what caught her attention.

During the analysis the computer had found a maternal DNA match with someone already in the database. Upon seeing the result of this match Akiha had felt the blood in her body run cold. Emiya Shirou's mother it seemed, was none other than her own maid.

Kohaku...

She stood staring at that piece of paper in horror for what had felt like an eternity but may have only been minutes. Upon regaining her senses she had immediately stormed up to her room and locked the letter away where nobody could find, especially not Kohaku.

Now she understood why he looked so familiar. This Emiya Shirou had his mother's looks, the red hair and amber eyes were only the tip of the iceberg.

Back in the present she slowly reached forward and lifted the envelope from its place on her desk and felt her stomach twisting itself into knots. After receiving the results of the first test she had called them back and demanded they perform a paternity test, the results of which were now in her hand. However she knew it was pointless, if his mother was Kohaku then there was only one man his father could be; especially if he had demon blood in his veins.

Her heart pounding against her chest, she slid the envelope open and pulled out the piece of paper inside. Her breath caught in her throat as the n\me written at the bottom of the report confirmed her worst fears:

Tohno Makihisa.

- - -

Kinda have to mess with the timeline a little here, at least I think so. Anyway wat do you think?

Also, sorry that have haven't updated any of my chaptered fics recently, however I do have a week off next week so I'll use that to write some more.

....Bum Bum Buuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Oh, my. Well, at least one of his biological parents is still alive.... and he has a sister and an aunt. Not clear if he has an uncle, here.

"Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
    -- Chinese Proverb

Blog Entries
    That is so very fucked up.

I like it, write more.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

.....Damn yo-

Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is a terrifying possibility - and yet, it offers such delicious potential, just begging to be explored . . .

Curses. This, if developed, might actually divert my attention from desiring a "Bundle of Joy" chapter.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

That last snippet needs to be expanded into a stand alone fic, some time between of "now" and "right god damn now!" I cant stop thinking about the different ways Shirou being Akiha's half-brother would play out depending on whether this is pre- or post-HGW Shirou. I'm pretty sure your writing implied it was post-HGW, but I'm not sure.

Return of the King

Disclaimer: Like usual, I don't own F/SN.

Once again, she had been made King.

She had accepted the title for the second time very, very reluctantly. When the suggestion had first been uttered and then started gathering steam, it was the closest to true panic she had ever been. It had been Rin who had eventually convinced her by put the situation in to such stark terms that even in her extreme reluctance, she could not ignore.

The world lay in ruins and mankind had been decimated. At the end of the fifth Holy Grail War Gilgamesh had succeeded in his plan to unleash the darkness within the Grail upon the world and proclaimed himself its King. Billions had died in the initial disaster and who knew how many more had followed in the ensuing chaos.

She had dragged herself out of the mud and rubble and had frozen in horror at the sight that awaited her. The city of Fuyuki had been a wasteland, almost nothing had been left standing. Almost immediately she had launched into a desperate search for survivors and had found only Rin.. A more thorough search of the city had found another, a girl from Rin's school, Mitsuzuri Ayako barely clinging to life. After that they had found nothing but corpses.

She found out that night that she had somehow been granted a real body and she knew the only reason she hadn't been corrupted by the taint was because she had her sheath back. However the act of returning Avalon to her had indirectly cost Shirou his life.

The next day they had left Fuyuki, travelling without a destination in mind, searching for other survivors. As it turned out there were quite a few. However most of them were too scarred to leave the ruins of their homes and would cower as the three of them drew near. There had been two survivors of note however, a woman who only gave the name Ciel and another named Ryougi Shiki, who had joined there group.

Eventually she had felt some inexplicable feeling, pulling her towards Britain. And so they had gone, leaving Japan and crossing sea and desert, plain and Jungle.

Eventually they had arrived at the shores of her homeland to find it broken and divided. Self-styled warlords battling each other for control and soldiers in Gilgamesh's employ cutting down those who would oppose him.

She wasn't sure how it had happened but somehow her true identity had gotten out and people had immediately flocked to her banner. She thought the people believed her to be a reincarnation of the King and she supposed that was true, from a certain point of view. Then they had begun clamouring for her to re-take the throne.

She knew the legends about her, about she was supposed to return in the hour of Britain's greatest need and that was certainly what this was. But why? All records of her legends told of how Camelot was fractured, how she had lead it to ruin. Why did they want her back? Why did they treat her as a symbol of hope?

Part of her had wanted her to scream at them to stop this foolishness. That she had been a terrible King. That they should find someone else, anyone else.

Then Rin had explained it to her, there was no one else. No one with any true experience of leading a country and certainly no one capable of standing up to Gilgamesh. And that, if King Arthur were to reject them, it may very well crush what little hope these people had left. So feeling sick the whole time, she had accepted. They even gave her the title of King, even though she had made no attempt to hide her true sex this time.

Rin had promised to offer whatever help she could in her rule and that had given her a little comfort. Ayako had made the same promise and Ciel and Shiki had both stuck around, even if they had never put it into words. She supposed that meant she might have some new knights.

Still, it was strange considering how fractured and divided they had been at the end but she would have felt a great comfort in having her old knights back. Lancelot, Gawaine, Bedivere, Kay, Galahad...even Mordred.

She supposed that might be part of why she was out here now, traipsing through woodland just before the dawn, the comfort of the familiar. But she knew that if she could find him he would also be of great help to her. She just hoped they had got it right this time, this was the third location they'd identified as a possibility.

Then she entered a clearing beneath a cliff face and saw it there at the base, a cave with a large boulder covering the entrance and instinctively she knew, this was it. She marched over and stood before the sealed entrance. She attempted to push the boulder but it wouldn't budge, even when she poured her prana into the attempt.

She growled in frustration, she had not come this close to be denied! She leaned her forehead gently against the obstacle and took a couple of deep breaths in an attempt to calm herself.

“Come on old sage,” she whispered. “I could really use your help. Please?”

When no answer came she finally lost her temper, letting loose months of anger, frustration and fear. She drew Excalibur and roared:

“Open up, you old bastard!”

The boulder turned to dust before her wrath and immediately she felt a lot lighter. She re sheathed her blade with a sigh of satisfaction and stepped inside.

There was water in the cave about ankle deep but she didn't have to go far in for she saw him immediately, a figure dressed in rags sat leaning against the wall. For a moment her heart froze in her chest. Had even he bowed to the natural consequence of being trapped in a cave for hundreds of years? Had this journey been for naught? No, she could see from here he still had skin on him and it hadn't decayed, there was still the possibility...

As drew neared the figured stirred and then spoke:

“Who goes there, making such a ruckus and disturbing an old man's precious sleep?” The voice wasn't actually annoyed, in fact it even sounded a little amused.

“Merlyn...” she whispered and felt her throat beginning to close on itself and her eyes starting to sting. That same tone of voice had infuriated her on countless occasions, yet now it comforted her. It was like talking to a grandfather you hadn't seen in a while.

“Oh, Art it's you. Come and help an old man to his feet then would you?”

She didn't hesitate, she strode over to where he lay and extended her hand. When he took it she hauled him to his feet.

“So you were the one to free me?” he said. “Perhaps I haven't been in here as long as I thought.”

“You old fool,” she chuckled, “It's been centuries.”

“And you're still King?” he replied. “You don't look centuries old.”

“Of course I don't...It's good to see you again.”

“Really? That makes a change.”

Nodding to herself and taking another deep breath she took a knee before him and bowed her head.

“Merlyn, I apologise for most of what I said during our last meeting and for losing my temper with you so often.”

There was a long moment of silence and Arturia held her breath until:

“This won't do. To have the King bowing before a ragged peasant who lives in a cave?”

She rose to her feet and stared him straight in the eye. In that instant she knew that he would help her and felt a little shame over the things she had often called him, he hadn't deserved it. Well, hadn't always deserved it. Still she needed to ask to receive his answer.

“Merlyn I...I need your help.”

“Of course you do,” he replied. “And you shall have it.”

She could have hugged him but managed to restrain herself. Even with all his buffoonery, Merlyn was still the wisest advisor she'd ever had. Not to mention she had learnt a lot from him in her younger years.

“Besides, you'd all fall apart without me,” he continued.

Arturia did her best not to wince. The old mage did not know just how right he was, not yet anyway.

“Much has happened since you were sealed away,” she replied.

“I see...” he muttered, his own tone sobering at the sound of her voice. “Then I should see this new world for myself, shall we?”

“Of course,” she answered and together the two of them exited the darkness. The dawn was just beginning to break over the horizon when they got outside and Arturia was struck with a thought.

“I have someone you might want to meet, when we get back,” she said. “Another student.”

“Oh? Another King in the making?”

She snorted.

“No. A magus like you.”

“No one could ever be like me.”

“I know,” she said, a little more fondness creeping into her voice than she intended.

“So...,” Merlyn began. “Is she pretty?”

“I think she'd lock you back in your cave if you tried,” Arturia chuckled.
    Last edited by PhoenixAct; June 21st, 2012 at 01:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Why is it double posted?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

.....Damn yo-

Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Why is it double posted?
    Fixed!