Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Zalgo's Collected Drabbles Thread

Zalgo's Collected Drabbles Thread [Finished and Up-To-Date Thus Far]

When looking through some of my older Beast's Lair drabbles -- most of which I transferred to FF.net -- I realized that I should probably collect them somewhere here as well. So here you are.

I'll try to add copies of future drabbles on here whenever I can remember.

Part I [Here]

And the Weak Do What They Must
    -- A slightly more tolerable Shinji

The Luddites Were Right
    -- Zouken plays a game system with his grandchildren

Skeletons in the Closet
    -- An old suggestion for how In Flight should have proceeded

Family Time
    -- Kiritsugu and Ilya go fishing

Magical Comrade Berserker-Chan -- Rin summons Nasufied Stalin

Great Servant Largo -- Largo from Megatokyo summoned as Rider

Schadenfreude -- Teenage!Kirei, Fem!Gil, Rin

Fate: Azathoth's Masque
    -- Heaven's Feel in Lovecraft's universe

Part II

Best-Laid Plans
    -- Teenage!Kirei, Fem!Gil, Sekirei

Anti-Bono -- Kirei vs. Kiritsugu, Phoenix Wright style

A Study in Velvet -- Waver Velvet investigates a murder at the Clock Tower

Postpartum -- Genderbent Kirei

Detour From Shin Tokyo
    -- Sekirei #08 Yume bonds with Kariya Matou

Part III

So Far From The Root, So Close to Berlin -- Hellsing crossover. The German magus in Heaven's Feel #3 gets more than he bargained for.

War of the Three Shikis -- Shiki Ryougi, SHIKI Ryougi, and Shiki Tohno in Heaven's Feel.

Sour Grapes -- AU. Shinji manages to be a somewhat better brother.

The Winner, and STILL... -- The 4th War Masters summon heavyweight boxing champions. Even more unabashedly stupid than it sounds.

Part IV

Reshuffle -- Shinji as a Tohsaka adopted by the Matous, plus Rin as a Matou from the outset. [or if you prefer, Shinji in Sakura's place, Sakura in Rin's place, and Rin in Shinji's place]

Contents, Part I

And The Weak Do What They Must (this post) [Shinji acts like a little bit less of a bastard to Sakura]

Spoiler:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author Notes: A dare oneshot - to portray Shinji of all people in a sympathetic light while still keeping him in character. This is as close as I could get to making him a protagonist.

He's still pretty awful.

This snippet assumes that fanon's theory that Zouken encouraged Sakura's "relationship" with Shinji (as a way to feed her worms, thereby keeping her alive) is correct.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And The Weak Do What They Must

I could have been a great magus.

Even Rin would have admitted as much, if the stuck-up bitch had ever deigned to notice.

Two days after my father explained the family “secret”, I opened my first book about magecraft. I was young. I remember the book, too; the way its cracked leather binding felt in my shaking fingers. My eyes ambled through woodcuts of scrying-glasses, holly branches, and pentagrams inscribed in magic circles. Even then, I understood most of it.

Too bad I’d never use it.

See, I’m not a magus. It’s a joke, really; another way the universe decided to screw me. Talent for study? Check. Ancient bloodline of magi? Check.

But no fucking magic circuits.

…Which brings me to my adopted sister. My replacement.

By the time Sakura came to the Matou household, I basically knew what to expect. She would be the heir. Me? I was her “big brother”. Read: caretaker. A glorified nanny.

I didn’t think much of the girl, at first. Sakura arrived at our door in a fuzzy pink sweater and a ridiculous hair ribbon. She was small and thin. What I noticed first, though, were those wide, staring eyes.

She called me “brother” in a voice so soft that it almost seemed like a whisper. I gave what I thought was a paternal nod in return. I figured I’d salvage a little dignity out of the situation, at least, and played the big brother role to the hilt. I tried to stop my lips from curling into a snarl.

Sakura had magic circuits.

Sakura would inherit the Matou Crest worms.

Not.

Me.

The little idiot didn’t even realize that she’d been chosen as our heir. An oblivious, stupid girl had stolen my birthright, and she didn’t even know it.

I hated the parasite right up until the moment I broke in on her “training”. The stone basement was dark when it happened. At first, I only paid attention to the sting of cold on my bare feet. And then I heard a whimper. Just one. So, so soft.

I looked down the stairs. Sakura lay in the middle of a writhing mass of things. They glistened, and puckered, and made smacking sounds. The Matou worms slurped their way past each other as they did their work.

I couldn’t move. It took a while before my father’s hiss brought me back to reality.

“Get out, Shinji.”

My father’s eyes were wide. Jaw clenched. Anger or fear, I didn’t know. Both, maybe? Grandfather just smiled in silence. I trembled as those black eyes scrutinized me.

I did what I was told.

I was a bit nicer to Sakura after that, as long as she stayed out of my way. Politely distant, I guess you’d call it.

The compromise continued until the Crest worms interfered again. We were teenagers by that time. My father had died years before.

The worms fed on sexual energy. Fed on it, and demanded it. I’d noticed the changes without much interest: the sheen of sweat that Sakura woke up with, the constantly flushed cheeks, and even the glances she would occasionally throw toward boys before she looked away with shame.

Like I said, I wasn’t very interested in the whole process. It was Grandfather’s problem. Let him deal with it.

Grandfather dealt with it by making it my problem.

That’s how I found myself at the threshold of Sakura’s room, leaning against the doorway. Hands in pockets. Half-grin forced into place.

Sakura lay on her stomach on the bed. She looked up from math homework. By now, her hair had turned a purplish color from the worms’ attentions. Strands brushed against the paper. Sakura removed the pencil she’d been nibbling from her mouth. That stupid hair ribbon rested on her bedside desk.

Ever since her “training” had begun, my adopted sister had developed this weird stare. It seemed empty, somehow, and her dark violet eyes only added to the effect. Creeped me the fuck out.

But not as much as Grandfather did.

“So…” I said. “Sister. Crest worms giving you trouble?”

The blush that had become a constant feature over the past few weeks only deepened. She looked down. She didn’t answer for a long time, but finally--

“Yes.”

“See, here’s the thing,” I said. “Gramps told me to ‘deal with it.’ You know what that means?”

She froze. I swallowed and fought the urge to pull at my collar.

“Yeah, well, I prefer willing women, if you catch my drift,” I said. “So you know what? I’m going to give you a choice. You and I both know that your worms need feeding, or bad things happen. And we also know Gramps isn’t going to take no for an answer…You listening?”

“Yes.”

“Come to my room whenever it suits you. Or find some guy at your school and hypnotize him. I don’t really care. Just as long as Gramps okays it.”

No response.

“Hey! Were you even—“

“I was listening, brother.”

I pushed myself off the doorframe and turned to leave. And Sakura just kept staring at me like I was a point on the wall.

This was long before Heaven’s Feel. My face hadn’t been singed by thaumaturgical fire. I hadn’t soiled myself while running from a thousand pounds of humanoid locomotive. And for that matter, I hadn’t put a bullet into another master. Yet.

“Oh, and Sakura?”

“Yes?”

I smirked at her, and winked.

“I think you’ll appreciate my experience, if you do come around.”

It was a lie, by the way. I’d come close a few times, but I hadn’t yet put the first notch on my belt. Looking back on it now, I’m not sure what was more pathetic: that I’d said it, or that I’d concealed my blush by turning away.

Sakura didn’t come to my room that night.

Or the next.

Or the one after that.

In the end, I’m pretty sure Grandfather decided for her. At the time, I was relieved. I’d started worrying about what Grandfather would do to me if I held up the show any longer.

Sakura arrived in a silky white nightgown that only reached her knees. Her head was bowed. She laced her fingers together in front of her. This suited me just fine, since I didn’t want to meet her eyes. They probably had that dead look to them. Or pity.

We finished up quickly. It was exactly as uncomfortable as you’d expect, for both of us. I mumbled something like an apology and left my own room to allow her to clean up.

Grandfather seemed more pleased with the results of our tryst than either of us did. We were ordered to repeat the performance from time to time. And I won’t bullshit you: I started to enjoy it after a while…Which didn’t exactly make me comfortable in my own skin, but I guess it was inevitable.

It took a long time, but we even started talking afterwards. That’s how I learned that Grandfather’s tool wasn’t quite as placid as she seemed. She was smart, for one thing. More importantly, Sakura resented Grandfather – which I’d kinda expected – but she also had a bitter streak toward former sister, Rin. Not that I blame her. Not now, anyway.

At the time, though, I was still pursuing Rin (I mean, those legs…the girl was eminently beddable), and I defended Rin when Sakura mentioned her.

My “sister” didn’t open up to me for a while after that. I avoided the subject in the future. Not that I cared much.

Besides, I would come to resent Rin Tohsaka soon enough.

Weirder still was Sakura’s fixation on Shirou Emiya. Her voice became just a little faster and more energetic when she talked about him. I’d known the guy for a while: a big, red-headed kid. Nice enough, in a blockheaded sorta way. I guess I could call him a friend if I was being generous. His false modesty pissed me off, though.

Shirou was also OBLIVIOUS.

I stayed out of Sakura’s way. If she wanted to chase the moron, it’d be one more burden off my hands. Though I admit I felt a spark of satisfaction every time Shirou ignored those subtle hints that Sakura threw out, and when I saw her hands clench against her dress.

As for me, I intended to win Heaven’s Feel for the Matou family. Grandfather’s Book of the False Attendant would allow me to command our family’s Servant. I’d even acquired a rifle despite Japan’s gun laws. I’d always had excellent eyesight and steady hands – which had made archery almost effortless – and I figured I needed all the help I could get.

Time passed.

A lot of time.

And Heaven’s Feel arrived.

As it turned out, Sakura’s Servant was a little…different.

Everything had been done perfectly. The circle’s aftersparks still glowed red on the floor. Sakura was breathing heavily, supporting herself against the wall with one arm. Face sweaty. Blouse sticking to her torso. Her back was curled just a little bit from the summoning spell’s drain.

But standing. See, my sister was a hard girl to wear down. Grandfather hadn’t managed it in nearly a decade, and he was an expert.

The woman who’d appeared in Sakura’s summoning circle wore a short leather skirt, high boots, and chains. A mask covered her eyes.

We explained the situation to her.

Sakura retired early that night. My adoptive sister chose to head for my room, even though her worms must have been exhausted.

That just left me and Rider.

I sat back in a cushioned chair. As I reclined, I looked the new Servant over. She was hot. Her long legs had just the right combination of toned muscle and voluptuousness. Her breasts nearly popped out of her mini-dress. Best of all, she had this docile expression on her face. Totally neutral.

I caressed her leg.

As I said, I’ve never been one for false modesty. I’m good-looking, athletic, and can even be charming when I want to be. That isn’t just my opinion, either. Ask the girls I’ve run through like Kleenex.

So I was a little surprised when Rider recoiled. Even though her mask obstructed half her face, I could detect her disgust well enough. Like I was some piece of dirt.

“What?” I said. “Don’t tell me you’re shy when you dress like that?”

Rider’s voice hardened. It was still quiet. Understated.

“Isn’t your sister enough for you?”

“That’s business, not pleasure. And she’s not technically my sister.”

Rider didn’t reply for a while. At first, I thought she was going to stay silent.

“Tch.”

…Which was just as dismissive, in its own way. I ground my teeth. Well, I guess this would be as good a time as any. Besides, it didn’t look as if Rider was putting out.

“How much do you care about your new Master?” I said.

Pause. Rider stiffened a little.

“More than you do.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Grandfather will get rid of Sakura’s worms as soon she wins Heaven’s Feel,” I said. “Can you do it?”

Another pause.

Rider turned her head toward me, although her blindfold still obscured her eyes. I saw her eyebrows knit slightly.

“Can I…?”

“Win Heaven’s Feel,” I said. “‘Cause I’m going to be honest: I don’t have the circuits. I can maybe shoot another Master from a distance, since I don’t have much of a prana signature. Hard to detect. But that’s it.”

And yet another long pause.

“…I can win Heaven’s Feel,” she said. “For her.”

“Good enough,” I said. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to check if your Master’s worms are hungry.”
    I switched off the light.

As I placed a hand on the banister, a strange thought occurred to me: Would Sakura forget me if I failed? Like she’d forgotten Kariya?

I laughed to myself. At myself. Never mind; I supposed it was worth it anyway. We can’t always choose who we want to die for.

I thumped up the stairs. Rider stayed in the darkness.

The Luddites Were Right [Zouken plays a video game with his "grandchildren." Another dare thread. Somebody asked for Zouken playing a game system.]

Spoiler:
    The Luddites Were Right

Zouken liked to think of himself as a family man.

Well, a provider, at least. Take, for instance, the game system that he’d bestowed upon his young grandchildren. It had seemed the ideal purchase at the time. Before he’d purchased it, the children romped through the house whenever he’d left them unsupervised. (Well, as much as a resentful little boy and an emotionless shell of a girl can “romp”.) Now, they sat on the floor like good little puppets, the television’s light reflecting from their glazed eyes. That irritating, tinny music had seemed a small price to pay.

BLAM!

…Until now.

It had been an innocent mistake. Generations of grandchildren had taught Zouken that the occasional “bonding time” did wonders for loyalty. A few had made paper cranes with him. One had watched wide-eyed as Zouken whittled him a horse.

Even Kariya had smiled and clapped his hands when Zouken had helped him snap his first photograph of a flower. It had come out blurry purple mess. The little brat had insisted on shaking the camera. Indeed, Zouken wasn’t sure why he still kept the ugly thing in his room, but he never seemed to get around to removing it.

This “game” was different.

The controls had seemed simple enough. Even a walking anachronism raised before the invention of steam power could understand it. The device was a gray piece of plastic shaped into three prongs, with a knob at the center for controlling movement. A button on the underside acted as trigger.

“He’s hiding in the vents, Sakura!”

“I’m on it, big brother.”

Zouken cursed and raced down the chute. His grandchildren were watching his screen. They must have been watching his screen. No matter. The light was only a short distance away now. Five seconds…

Three…two…

PEWFWEEESH!

The vent exploded in pixilated fire and smoke. His screen went red, and then darkened. The game played that lugubrious da-duuuum! “You’re dead” music that Zouken had come to loathe.

“Yessssss!” Shinji shouted. “Nice shot, Sakura!”

As Zouken’s vision went black, the last thing he saw was Sakura’s character racing past him, hefting a rocket launcher.

They were bonding.

The little brats were bonding.

This wouldn’t go unpunished. He’d simply take the game system away from them. Yessiree. But first, he needed to win. It wouldn’t do to look like he’d taken it away in a fit of sour grapes. Even if that was probably true.

At least it wasn’t proximity mines. Or knives. Especially knives. The girl was a virtuouso with those things.

So…third floor.

Find the AK-47. Find the AK-47. Find the—

Shinji’s character strafed into view. His machine pistol trilled a seemingly endless rattle as it sprayed faaaaar too many bullets. Zouken ran.

Patatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatata—

“All yours, Sakura.”

“Thanks, big brother!”

BLAM!

A bullet hole materialized in the wall. Zouken squinted. The lighting in this place was awful; one greenish-brown blob after another. Where was she?

BLAM!

And Zouken died. Again.

The controller cracked in his hand.

“Uh, grandfather?” Shinji said. “Are you—“

Zouken lurched out of his seat and snatched his cane.

“I’m fine!” he said. “And very busy! I have no more time to spend on your silly games, and you have homework to do.”

“But—“

“NOW!”

Shinji gulped and turned off the game system. It winked to black.

The boy grabbed Sakura and made a beeline for the door. She gripped the door frame with one hand to arrest the motion. Her purple hair bobbed.

“Um, grandfather?”

“What?”

Sakura nibbled a fingernail contemplatively. Her face scrunched in concentration.

“Big brother, what was it that you’re supposed to say when you win?”

“Uh…nothing Sakura. Let’s go.”

Sakura nodded (reluctantly, it seemed), and followed her brother, leaving Zouken alone to glare at the foul contraption that had ruined his evening.

They would pay for this, somehow. He wouldn’t be obvious about it. Oh, no. Subtlety was a Zouken Matou trademark. But he’s savor their pain just the same. It wouldn’t do to allow them to bond again. He needed Sakura isolated, and for that, Shinji would have to—

Sakura popped her head in.

“Ooh, Grandfather! I remembered!”

“What?”

“P0wnd,” Sakura said solemnly.

And with that, the girl skipped back to Shinji’s room to continue their studies.

My Older Suggestion for how GB's In Flight Should Proceed [Requires some retconning out of UBW Good Ending]

Spoiler:
    Author Notes: Somebody requested level-appropriate horror for the In Flight's version of the Sekirei Plan a while ago. Here is my attempt.

(Not sure that I emulated IF!Shirou’s style very well, but here you go):

Skeletons in the Closet

I groaned inwardly when I saw Akitsu and Kazehana curled up in my bed. Both had dressed in napkin-sized strips of cloth that somehow “covered” their bodies.

Nope. Definitely not getting any rest tonight. Instead, I could look forward to hours of definitely-not-accidental grinding against my body while I tried to fall asleep for work tomorrow. LOTS of repair jobs were waiting for me, too. ..

“Matsu, can this wait?” I said. “I’m kinda tired right now.”

My Hacker’s eyes narrowed. Matsu pushed her glasses back onto the bridge of her nose. Their lenses glinted a little in Izumo’s dim evening lighting.

“Shirou,” she said. “We need to talk. Alone.”

Not ‘Shirou-tan’. No references to herself in third person. This was the Disciplinary Squad Matsu talking. Standing before me was not the childlike, pigtailed girl who giggled while I inadvertently set off her porn traps. Nope, this was Zero-Two. The woman who’d waded through blood and bodies at Kamikura. Of all the members of my flock, I trusted her competence the most.

Matsu’s serious side didn’t emerge often. But when it did…

Whatever she wanted to tell me, she apparently wanted to keep it away from everybody else until I’d heard it. I kept my voice level, and nodded upstairs.

“Sure,” I said. “Let’s talk.”

We entered Matsu’s secret room. It was small and dark, lit only by computer screens. I waited for what seemed like forever while she accessed what she needed. Computer fans hummed around us. At another time, I might have worried about being trapped alone with the lascivious hacker. Now, though, she was all business.

Matsu looked up. Text from the screen traced across her glasses.

“I think I found one of your wizards,” she said.

“Magi,” I said absently.

Matsu cleared her throat. I realized that this probably wasn’t the best time to get hung up titles.

“Two days ago, Sekirei started disappearing,” she said. “Winged and unwinged. MBI recovered three of their Ashikabis yesterday. They…were in bad shape.”

I shifted uncomfortably.

“How badly were they injured?” I said. “Maybe I could talk to Takami about getting them treatment? MBI’s pretty good with medical stuff.”

Okay, so maybe it was cheating to use my family connections with MBI. Just a little. But if people were getting hurt, then I was all for “cheating”. Especially if a magus was at the root of it—

“They weren’t ‘injured’, Shirou-sama,” Matsu said. “Not physically.”

Her keystrokes echoed through the secret room. An image appeared on the screen.

At first, it just looked like your average upscale neighborhood. Just street lamps, and apartments piled like concrete shelves. Cicadas were probably whining in the trees. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. A guy was even walking his dog.

And then, the dog went berserk. It cringed, and then ran, dragging its master with it.

Matsu’s voice rapped out quickly, like a subordinate giving a report.

“This was taken at nine-thirty in the evening,” she said. “You’re seeing a clip taken from the residence of Himura Youichi, the Ashikabi of Number 78, Nanami.”

A man emerged from the apartment building. He was old. Old, and bowed, and crooked. His black and dark green silks blended into the night around him. The costume could have come out of the eighteenth century – a traditional kimono, white socks, and sandals. For all I knew, it had come out of the eighteenth century. Or earlier. He was bald, and so wrinkled that he reminded me of a prune with the color leached out.

A Sekirei stumbled behind him, swaying as she walked. Like a sleepwalker.

For me, though, the man’s eyes stood out most. They were black, with white pupils. They stared at an imaginary point a few inches in front of him as he walked at an almost glacial pace. His cane’s tapping alternated with his footfalls.

Click—shuffle. Click—shuffle.

I knew him.

Correction: I knew it.

My fists clenched, yearning for the touch of sword hilts that hadn’t materialized. Even though I couldn’t feel it through the satellite recording, I could imagine the crawling, gnawing sensation that analyzing its internal structure would have produced. It was a walking corpse. A mass of worms given human shape, wrapped around a decaying core that had once been a human soul. I should have killed it during Heaven’s Feel. I should have. I SHOULD have.

And just like that, the Sekirei Plan got a whole new level of crazy.

“Shirou-sama?”

“That thing,” I spat, “is Zouken Matou.”

Family Time [Kiritsugu and Ilya go fishing]

Spoiler:
    Family Time

Kiritsugu glanced at the sky, where the sun had sunk an hour lower on the horizon. Sunlight flecked the lake with gold. Evening already. He sighed, and a wisp of cigarette smoke curled upward.

And there was Ilya, gripping her fishing rod like a kendo stick, her little face scrunched in concentration. Frowning – no, glaring – at the fish that darted j-u-u-u-s-t below the surface of the lake. Her eyes seemed to glow a little redder.

Trout, it seemed, were significantly harder to kill than Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi.

In Kiritsugu’s defense, using a fishing expedition for father-daughter bonding time had looked like a much better idea this morning.

Ten hours ago.

In the aftermath of Heaven’s Feel, Ilya had taken her mother’s death…badly. Kiritsugu winced as he remembered Ilya’s month of erratic eating, puffy eyes, and nights where he’d awake to the sound of his daughter screaming from a nightmare. So many nightmares.

That had been three months ago. And every night, he caught himself exhaling that the worst was long gone. Still…vigilance.

He had wondered, in that first month, about some of his own victims’ children. How many newly-single parents had watched their children cry themselves to sleep. It would have seemed abstract to a younger, more ruthless Magus Killer at the peak of his powers – the machine that had been Kiritsugu Emiya. A fitting title. Machines had no surplus parts. No life experiences to draw upon. No dead wives. Kiritsugu preferred not to think about how many other factors had escaped his neat little abacus.

But—anyway.

Ilya.

The lure bobbed. Ilya inhaled for the thousand-and-first time. Her cheeks puffed out as she grasped the reel…

Plip.

…and she sighed. The fish had darted away. Again.

In retrospect, Kiritsugu’s fishing skills had deteriorated to a rather depressing nadir after he’d switched to human prey. And he’d always been a lousy teacher.

Ilya’s fists clenched against the side of her white, frilly dress -- the one she insisted on wearing everywhere. Thankfully, it had only collected a few spots of mud this time. Kiritsugu had carried Ilya to the dock on his back.

He did that a lot lately. Especially after Ilya’s mud-fight incident with Leysritt -- of which the less said, the better.

“I—I’m doing it wrong, aren’t I?” Ilya said.

Silver scales flashed under the water. Taunting them.

“Eh?” Kiritsugu said. “Er…no, Ilya, you’re just—“

Ilya’s lip was trembling. Oh, dear.

“I am!” she said. “I’m so sorry, Daddy! I didn’t know I’d be useless at fishing! You must have been bored out of your mind watching me try to catch the stupid fish with my stupid lure, and my stupid, stupid fishing skills—“

“Want to try something…um, different?”

Ilya stopped mid-rant, arms still outstretched. Her mouth bobbed open and shut in a manner not entirely dissimilar from their elusive targets.

She replied in a tiny voice.

“I…I guess if you think I’m no good at it…”

Kiritsugu’s eyebrow twitched. His lips tightened ever so slightly around his cigarette as he considered…no. No, that was silly. Except…

…Oh, screw it.

“Um, not quite, Ilya. Maybe…maybe just change your approach a little?”

With one eye still on Ilya, Kiritsugu glanced at the water, guesstimating ballistics like mad. The fish seemed to slow down. Crawl. Stop. As if they were swimming through mud. The Magus Killer imagined nice, neat targets on each of the scaly little bastards. And what was the angle of refraction, again?

Ilya appeared to have made her decision. She nodded. Chin out. Fists clenched like a miniature boxer. It reminded him of Irisviel in the darkest days of the War.

Okay.

He could do this. Just a little coaching.

Hopefully.

“Remember what daddy showed you at the shooting range?”

Ilya’s head tilted to one side. She raised an eyebrow. That universal child-to-parent signal that even Kiritsugu – who’d been raised by a contract killer – recognized:

Pfft! Well, o-b-v-i-o-u-s-l-y, Dad.

“I remember,” Ilya said.

Okay. One hurdle dealt with.

Kiritsugu pulled out a smaller pistol. Magecraft-enhanced, so its bullets wouldn’t ricochet off the water. The Einzberns had built him all sorts of new toys after he’d won them Heaven’s Feel.

He guided Ilya’s fingers to the trigger.

“Now,” he said. “I’ll help guide you. Just breathe slowly, squeeze the trigger, and remember to lead—“

BLAM!

Kiritsugu couldn’t suppress a startled jolt.

BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM-BLAM!

Six dead fish bobbed on the surface of the water. Ilya had winged them – winged them – with pretty little headshots.

Ilya giggled. Her puffy purple hat bounced as she did a victory dance.

Kiritsugu’s cigarette slipped from his mouth, and hissed when the lake extinguished it.

“Um…”

The mad laughter cut off suddenly – jarringly – like someone had clicked the “off” switch for a CD player.

Ilya looked up at her father. In an instant, her manic grin morphed into an adorable-yet-slightly-disturbing puppy dog expression. Ilya fiddled with her fingers.

“Daddy?” Ilya said.

“...Mmh?”

“Next time, bring the dynamite.”

Magical Comrade Berserker-Chan [Rin summons a Nasufied Stalin]

Spoiler:
    Rin completed the summoning Aria. It had been perfect, like a great magus’s spell should be. Like her father’s must have been. Light blazed in her gems until each went dark in turn. The summoning circle glowed red.

And then, an explosion.

Rin coughed. When she’d finally waved the smoke away, she almost wished she hadn’t.

A girl stood in front of her. She couldn’t have been more than twelve. Superficially, her black hair and pigtails resembled her Master’s, although her face was pockmarked. To Rin, though, the differences stood out more. Especially the fake handlebar mustache, and the fact that one of her arms was longer than the other.

Rin also found the kosovorotka and giant boots (which came up to the girl’s knees) a bit unusual.

“I am Josef Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili, acting as Servant Berserker,” the girl said. “And I ask of you: Are you my master?”

“…I am so gonna die in this War.”

The girl frowned and puffed out her cheeks, her tiny hands curling into fists. The display did not instill Rin with confidence.

“And what’s your name?” the girl demanded.

Rin sighed. Well, if it had come to this, she should at least make the best of it.

“Tohsaka Rin. And yes, I am your—“

“Wait a minute.”

The girl pulled a wad of paper out of her jacket. She continued pulling for quite some time.The sheet seemed to go on forever, like some demented version of Santa’s list. Just when the mountain of paper had reached Berserker’s head (and Rin began contemplating asking her to clean it up), a blank space appeared.

Berserker wrote something in Cyrillic. It looked a little like Rin’s name, and Rin noted that the “o”s (at least, she thought they were “o”s) resembled hearts. The girl drew a line through it with a red crayon.
    Her task completed, Berserker gave Rin a sweet smile.

“There!” she said. “All done.”

Rin noted that she’d said “done” with a disturbing air of finality.

The next few days were…unpleasant. Rin soon learned that her new Servant didn’t believe in magecraft, and no amount of reasoning could convince her otherwise. Even the dream cycle was boring. Most dreams involved debates in some legislative building or other. Rin found herself waking up in the middle of the night, screaming something about dialectical materialism.

In the daytime, the Spirit stalked the halls, thumping from one room to another in her oversized boots. She waddled a bit like a bear. A teddy bear, Rin reflected. Albeit a rather creepy one.

Not to mention the smoking. The girl puffed on a pipe half the size of her head. Rin wasn’t precisely sure how she kept the monstrosity clenched between her teeth. In any event, nothing could part the two: Rin had tried everything from gentle cajoling (“You’ll ruin your lungs, sweetie”…delivered with a grim scowl) to threatening Berserker with a command seal. Nothing had worked. Berseker’s only reaction had been to write Rin’s name down and cross it off again.

When Berserker began blowing bubbles from the pipe as well, Rin began to suspect that she was trying to annoy her.
    Yet for all that, Berserker didn’t seem particularly, well, berserk. This blissful impression continued until Rin met “Mister Beria.”

It happened when Rin stumbled upon one of Berserker’s vodka parties (which seemed to resemble tea parties, save for one modification). Berserker had laid out porcelain cups. She’d used a pink table that had once hosted Rin’s own tea parties as a girl.

Berserker also appeared to have appropriated half of Rin’s stuffed animal collection. A lion plushie sat apart from the rest. A paper doily with angry red letters was pinned to its chest: “Grain Hoarder. Enemy of the People.”
    Berseker looked up. She waggled a sock puppet at Rin. It was bald, wore a rather impressive-looking uniform, and had pince-nez glasses.

“Mister Beria wants you to join us,” said Berserker.

“Uh…I’d rather not.”

Berserker’s expression darkened.

“Mister Beria told me you’d say that,” she said. “Mister Beria believes you’re a fascist counterrevolutionary. I told him that you were just a feudal holdover who might be able to sense the tide of history.”

“What?”

“You aren’t a fascist counterrevolutionary, are you?”

Rin suddenly got the impression that she would be well advised to answer “no.”

“I…don’t think so?”

“Then you’d better sit down before Mister Beria pours warfarin in your vodka,” Berserker said. “Mister Beria likes poisoning people, you see. Don’t you, Mister Beria? DON’T YOU, MISTER BERIA!? I KNOW IT WAS YOU, YOU LITTLE BASTARD!”

“Mister Beria” made thumping sounds as Berserker repeatedly slammed the puppet on the table.

Rin sat down.

Berserker dropped the sock puppet and beamed. Rin noted, however, that the smile didn’t seem to reach her eyes.

“And now, we drink!” Berserker said. “People are always more honest when they drink, don’tcha think?”

“Um…”

“Drink. Now.”

Rin drank.

And drank.

And drank.

The last thing she remembered before passing out was babbling about Shirou Emiya in fishnets.

Great Servant Largo [Largo from Megatokyo is summoned as Rider]

Spoiler:
    Great Servant Largo

A young man stood at the other end of the warehouse yard. His headband barely kept a spiky mop of red hair in line. He wore a billowing leather trenchcoat. And a cape. And a breastplate. Gilgamesh also thought he’d spotted the collar of a Hawaiian shirt underneath the coat. In this context, the boy’s monocle almost seemed an afterthought; a final footnote of weirdness for a servant whose grip on reality – even accounting for the brevity of their past encounter – had always seemed rather tenuous. And while Gilgamesh wasn’t quite sure what a “hax final boss” was supposed to be, he suspected that the label was derogatory.

But Rider was here.

Gilgamesh’s hands clenched in his golden gauntlets. Finally.

“Ah, Rider,” Gilgamesh said. “So you made it to the final three, eh? My successors must have been pathetic indeed to lose against a boy who hides in imaginary worlds. But then, one would expect decay from a world no longer under my rule.”

Rider glared. That anomalous monocle glinted. His voice boomed across the battlefield.

"Video games are a conduit for the soul!” he said. “They expand our lives! Channel our imagination! Test our skillz! Games exist as a channel for the boundless energy of people all over the world! It is a medium you are incapable of understanding! Also, Ilya offered me b33r if I beat you.”

Gilgamesh raised an eyebrow. The air shimmered behind him. A golden field appeared. Maces, swords, axes and billhooks wrought of wondrous materials poked through it like blades of grass.

“I have no need to understand the weakness that tempts you out of the real world, mongrel…though I suppose your quest for beer is more comprehensible.”

“B33r,” the young man said.

“What?”

“B33r. With two letter 3’s.”

Gilgamesh scowled.

“What?!” he said. “How does that even--How did you—“

Rider raised his hand to the heavens. Arcs of crimson lightning crackled down the length of his body. The clouds of the Fuyuki night sky rumbled, spinning in an otherworldly maelstrom of red fog. A void appeared at their center. It spread.

Ph34r with gr34t ph33r.”

Rider’s Aria plunged Gilgamesh into a sprawling cityscape of concrete and neon. The memories he’d received for Heaven’s Feel told him that this was Tokyo. But…not.

A reality marble.

An army stood in front of him. It was an eclectic lot. Worm-eaten animated corpses in red berets moaned in its front ranks. Mechanical bipeds marked with police symbols leveled automatic cannons in his direction. They gave a hydraulic whirr as they stepped forward. Gem-encrusted girls in miniskirts and pigtails flitted through the air like pixies. And at their head was Rider himself, standing on a multi-story, rotting, lizardy critter with a pink bow on its head.

Rider raised his sword.

“Mess up his systemz!”

A roar came from the assembled mob, and it surged forward. The reanimated dead squelched as they raced across the tarmac. Police sirens screamed on the automatons. Bolts of pink, heart-shaped energy streamed from the flying girls. The blasts threw up plumes of cement dust and shrapnel all around the Golden King.

Gilgamesh only smirked, and pulled out his trump card. Crisscrossing red lines glowed across the black blade of the Enuma Elish. The otherworldly Noble Phantasm thrummed with power.

It fired.

All around him, Gilgamesh watched as the most elaborate Reality Marble he’d ever seen dissolved. Pieces of the sky fell, or were rotted away. Skyscrapers sank into the ground. Chasms appeared in the streets, consuming automatons and walking dead alike. Screeches. Bleeps. Moans.

Finally, Gilgamesh stood in the warehouse lot again. Rider loomed over him. The irritating Servant stood on that dragon-looking thing’s head. Pistols brandished. Smile in place.

Rider charged. Thousands of tons of reptilian malevolence hurtled forward with the speed and force of a bullet train.

Gilgamesh snapped his fingers.

Noble Phantasm upon Noble Phantasm rained down on Rider’s mount. Axes tore gashes in its stomach. A war flail blasted off one of its vestigial arms, spraying the creature with gore. The lizard slowed. By the time it came within a hundred meters, it looked like a lizard-shaped block of Swiss cheese used as a pincushion.

It reeled. The eyes went dim. With a final roar, it shuddered and crashed to earth with a massive THUMP. The sound of its fall echoed through the lot.

Rider rolled free. He was already firing both pistols.

Gilgamesh frowned. The mongrel just couldn’t die easily, could he? Rider was elusive, too – he zigzagged and darted behind cover even as he moved forward. The Golden King kept firing as well. His Noble Phantasms laid down a firestorm. Sooner or later, one of those explosions would find its mark.

Rider, of course, had other ideas.

BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM—ting-ting-ting-ting-ting-ting!

Gilgamesh growled. He’d had to throw an armored forearm over his face to deflect Rider’s counterfire. It interfered with his aim. His Noble Phantasms went wide. Every deserted building within a thousand foot radius dissolved into ash and rubble.

Click.

Click.

Gilgamesh grinned. He uncovered his face and prepared to unleash another barra—

“Ow!”

Oh. That wasn’t…Rider must have thrown his empty pistol at Gilgamesh’s fac—

“Ooooow!”

Two
    empty pistols. Well, at least—

“AAAAGH!”

…and an aluminum baseball bat.

A trickle of blood ran down Gilgamesh’s nose. He held his hand up to it, and—

Yes.

Broken.

The Golden King shook so hard that he seemed to be vibrating. He screamed, and summoned two swords from the Gate. He didn’t care which. Really, he didn’t. One of them looked sort of cold and icy, judging from the condensed fog. The other burned white-hot. If he’d been in a better mood, he probably could have told you what they were.

“YOU! BROKE! BY! DOZE! BONGREL!”

Rider drew his own sword. It was absurdly large, even for a two-handed weapon.

“PREP4R3 FOR PANTLESS NINJ4 FURY!!!!”

Without consciously meaning to, Gilgamesh stopped moving for a split-second and furrowed his brow. A mind that should have been concentrating on Rider’s angle of attack instead noted with some confusion that Rider was, in fact, actually wearing pants. The pause was almost too long.

Almost.

Gilgamesh threw the fire sword upward. Sparks shot off in all directions, singeing his cheeks. One of them burned a thin path through Rider’s disturbingly vertical hair.

Immediately, the Golden King swiped his ice blade across Rider’s chest. He was rewarded by a hiss of pain. And blood. Lots of blood.

But then, Rider’s wrist twisted. The motion sent Gil’s sword spinning into the air. It also sent Rider’s blade deep into Gil’s body. The golden armor folded.

“AAAAGH!”

The scream was mutual. But then, Gilgamesh could think pretty well through waves of pain. Always had.

The Chains of Heaven shot through the Gate. They wrapped around Rider’s legs, sending him sprawling onto the ground. His sword clattered as it fell.

Gilgamesh half-ran, half-limped over. He kicked Rider’s sword away, and then drove his own weapon into his fallen opponent’s chest.

Rider’s shout of pain was loud and delectable. Gilgamesh drank it like wine. Such was the price of marring his perfect body. Especially his nose.

“Addy last words, bongrel?”

Rider looked up through that mop of hair. His breaths were ragged. Gilgamesh could hear the wet slur from blood in his lungs. Yet for some reason, he was still grinning.

“I was tanking for the g!rli3.”

“…What.”

And then, Gilgamesh sensed it. The surge of power to his right.

“EX-“

No. No. No.

“gg, Archer,” Rider said.

Gilgamesh wheeled so quickly that he nearly toppled over. His eyes snapped to the tiny, glittering figure in the distance.

“Sab—“

“-CALIBUR!”

Light hurtled toward him, vaporizing everything in its path. His armor melted at its caress. A wall of destruction. And it was beautiful.

With that final realization, the Golden King reentered the realm of myth.

Schadenfreude [Teenage!Kirei, Fem!Gil, and other nonsense. From Hymn's "Hail to the King" thread.]

Spoiler:
    Author Notes: Yes, a very short female Gilgamesh snippet. With a Teenage!Kirei, no less. Preceded by this prompt --

Kirei: My dear Gil...For your own virtue's sake, I'm afraid I'll have to insist that you stay away from pleasures of the flesh for the duration of the War.

...Oh dear, was I using a Command Seal?

Schadenfreude

Kirei Kotomine had seen quite a few unusual things in his seventeen years of life.

Indeed, if he’d been tempted into something as reprehensible as pride, he might even have felt a bit smug about his capacity to take things in stride. He’d helped kill vampires as an Executor, after all. He’d watched that Tohno kid kill a Servant. Somehow. He’d even survived that weird dimension-skipping incident with Zelretch. (Of which he would never speak again, although it had been fun).

Let alone his surprise when he’d found out that the King of Heroes was actually a girl.

So it was with some surprise that Kirei caught his own eyebrow rising.

Kirei wasn’t sure where Gil had acquired so much rope. Let alone the gag.

Nor had Kirei been aware that Rin even possessed such an outfit, let alone that she would wear it on her own living room floor. A floor that had apparently acquired a bear rug in his absence.

As for how Gil had persuaded Rin to agree to something like this...Kirei was at a loss. Which was no mean feat.

Gil ran a finger across Rin’s leg. The Tohsaka heiress shivered. Gil tossed her own golden hair back and grinned at Kirei.

“Mmmrphf,” said Rin.

Kirei noted with some interest that Rin’s eyes had widened into saucers when she saw him. Her face tensed into something that resembled panic. Her face blazed red. Well, at least the part that the gag wasn’t covering.

Gil simply continued stroking until Rin’s panicked squeals dissolved into something more kitten-like.

“Oh…” Gil said. “Hello, Kirei.”

“Um…”

Gil waved a hand airily. She sighed.

“I couldn’t help but notice how embarrassed Rin seems,” Gil said. “Interesting, isn’t it? Such intense feelings of shame. Poor girl must be miserable. Aren’t you, Rin?”

The teasing continued.

“Mffpff—Uuurmph! MMMPH!”

And somehow, Rin’s face managed to redden by about three shades. Somewhere between amaranth and electric crimson, Kirei thought. She was nodding furiously even as she tried (wholly unsuccessfully) to cover herself up.

“Must be quite a show for someone of your...tastes,” Gil said. “Humiliation. Guilt. Regret. All the good stuff. You sure you won’t relax your prohibition on pleasures of the flesh just a teensy…”

Gil tickled as Rin squirmed.

“…tiny…”

Rin’s eyes rolled back in their sockets.

“…bit?”

Kirei thought the offer.

He thought about it very, very seriously.

Fate: Azathoth's Masque [If Heaven's Feel had been written in the Lovecraft universe]

Spoiler:
    Fate: Azathoth's Masque

Clack.

Clack.

Clack.

On the far side of the room, Clara tapped a rook on an ivory board.

Something sat opposite her. It was a little less than five feet high, but its proportions made it look taller sitting down. The thing's build evoked an ape: it was broad-shouldered and oak-necked, and its arms shared in the general simian distortion. The left almost wrapped around the thing's lap, and the right could reach across the board without forcing its owner to get up. Every time Clara tapped the board, the thing's right hand would glide across its ghastly white face, running along a mat of curly black hair. The jewels in its eyes glinted.

"Clara," said Pth'thya-l'ya, "Stop annoying the automaton."

The tapping stopped. Clara's expression didn't change an iota.

"Surely," she said, "we didn't come here just to entertain Moxon's toy, Mother Pth'thya-l'ya?"

Pth'thya-l'ya sighed. A useless affectation retained from her surface days. Her gills fluttered, emitting soft smacking sounds. Those lidless, pupil-less eyes stared us both down. Those eyes, it was said, could glimpse the future.

"How much do you know about Game of Invocation?" she said.

The mannequin froze mid-move. Its crimson fez fell on the floor with a clop. I suppressed the flutter in my chest as best I could, and even Clara's posture subtly shifted forward.

Yes, we knew about the Game of Invocation.

The Materialization of the Herald. Azathoth's Masque. The Rite of Sacrificial Petitioners.

It was a battle royal for those tainted by blasphemous blood. Seven pairs of Masters and Servants would duel each other with armories forged in unspeakable rites. They would fight until only one pair remained…and then, bathed in the sacrificed fruit of six unholy couplings, Nyarlathotep would appear. Amid paeans of glory, he would carry the survivor's wish to the Throne of Azathoth.

Yea. Hark. Lo. Et cetera.

That was the theory. Personally, I was inclined to be a mite suspicious about anything involving the Black Pharaoh.

Moxon's automaton finally completed its move, albeit with less of a flourish than usual. Clara's hand hovered above a knight. Her expression remained blank.

"Your pardon, Mother Pth'thya-l'ya, but Fifth Bloodletting was not supposed to start for another forty years," she said. "If I recall correctly, my…arrangement with Nathaniel was predicated in part on your desire for a Marsh heir in the Game."

It was impressive, really – Clara eyes didn't move in my direction at all when she said my name. Pth'thya-l'ya's cold, white lips pursed.

"The Stars were wrong," Pth'thya-l'ya's said. "The Fifth Bloodletting has come early."

"Well, Mother Pth'thya-l'ya, if you insist on making me a widow before I marry…"

"Pardon?"

Clara shrugged. The black ringlets of her hair brushed across the lacy frills of her collar.

"It's obvious, isn't it?" she said. "The Marsh family only has two descendants at the moment. Nathaniel doesn't have enough of the Old Blood on his own, and since you have already made it quite clear that I am to be the…ahem…womb for your descendants…"

Clara set the knight down. Her hand knocked it over as she withdrew, though, and the piece rolled until it clicked against a black bishop. Clara's fist tightened against the side of her gown. It loosened just as quickly.

"Besides, Mother Pth'thya-l'ya," she continued. "My dear cousin Nathaniel specializes in this sort of—how does one say it?—troubleshooting."

She'd referred to her 'dear cousin Nathaniel' in roughly the same tone you'd mention a lamp-post, but never mind. I was accustomed to this sort of thing.

More importantly, I needed time to think.

If the Game of Invocation had started early, most of the heirs would either be too old or – like Clara and me - in their late teens.

Seven masters and seven servants. If Pth'thya-l'ya wanted me to enter the Game of Invocation, that meant six opponents. And they would be…

First, Whateley. That was obvious. As one of the founding families, the Whateleys had pretty much assured themselves a place. I knew the current scion a little, and also knew he'd be easiest to track – the Whateleys didn't pay much attention to modern technology. I had a pretty fair idea which Servant he'd choose, too.

Second, the Delapore twins. Their ancestors had also helped start the tournament. For that matter, their claim probably went back even further. The Delapores shared little else with the wizards of Dunwich, though: while the Whateleys had barely managed to shamble through the centuries thanks to degenerate cunning, the Delapores had thrived. Like wolves in a pigsty.

Third…who? Jermyn? No, not enough Old Blood left. D'Erlette? Pickman? Tillinghast? West? Carter? Blake? Waite? Munoz, even?

…Bowen. Whoever else might have entered, one of them had to be Bowen. And after Dr. Dexter's unfortunate demise, I knew exactly what Bowen's Servant would be. A second chill ran down my spine.

I asked Pth'thya-l'ya about the other three. She didn't know more than I did. Not that it mattered much – the Delapores alone would have been enough to force my hand. I tried very hard not to imagine a world where they got their wish.

Bowen, the Delapores, and Whateley, then.

"No dice," I said. "If it was just Whateley, I could probably take him myself. I'd need a Servant for the others, though, and I don't have enough Old Blood in me for that."

The slime glistened on Pth'thya-l'ya's forehead as she slowly turned toward Clara.

"Your fiancée does," she said.

It might have been my imagination, but Clara's eyes seemed to open a fraction. Indeed, her eyes had been more expressive of late – the Innsmouth lineage had already enlarged them and given her bone structure a more sunken look. As yet, the effect was still attractive. Her collar hid the rough patches on her neck where gills were forming.

She recovered quickly, in any case.

"But Mother Pth'thya-l'ya, without me—"

"Without you, the Marsh line can still survive," Pth'thya-l'ya said. "I can always come to the surface myself and try again."

The couch creaked when I leaned back and threaded my fingers together.

"She's not an assassin," I said.

"That's why you're both going," Pth'thya-l'ya said. "Nathaniel, you will handle the planning and…execution. Clara will power the Servant."

Clara nodded in what could almost have been a bow, except for the faint smirk.

"Oh?" she said. "A womb and a battery. You are indeed thoughtful, Mother Pth'thya-l'ya."

Pth'thya-l'ya returned the smirk.

"Just be sure that the second duty doesn't interfere with the first," she said.

...Our family matriarch always had such a charming way of telling us to be careful.

"And just what will I be powering?" Clara said.

Pth'thya-l'ya crooked her finger and pointed to a door. She struck a match, which cracked and fizzled, and handed Clara an oil lamp. Shadows danced through the limestone stairwell as Pth'thya-l'ya descended. We followed her. The journey took several minutes.

The vault was ancient and Romanesque, built by Anglo-Saxons long after the legions had abandoned England. Its pillars and arches bore crude tool marks, and cruder inscriptions. They named gods no Anglo-Saxon knew.

At last, we reached the base of the steps, where a jaggedly-cut stone the height of a circus dwarf awaited us. It was broad, and its swirling designs and solar symbols evoked emotions in me both reverent and disquieted. Lichens had climbed up its sides.

And in its center, a mahogany box.

"Open it," Pth'thya-l'ya said.

Clara unlatched the top. A golden something glimmered from the purple velvet interior. Clara withdrew it.

It was a tiara, tall in the front and elliptical – designed, no doubt, for Deep Ones' peculiar physiology. My initial impression had been slightly off, though; the thing wasn't gold. It was lighter and more lustrous: that unpronounceable alloy that the Deep Ones prized for their jewelry above all other metals. Tessellations scurried along the surface. Some were aquatic, others geometric in a subtly disturbing way, and still others were images of the Deep Ones themselves, a collage of fish, frog, and human.

Its surface betrayed no craftsman's marks.

Something stirred in the far side of the vault. Clara's eyes darted there at the same time mine did, but she could always see more keenly in the gloom. The tiara dropped with a clang.

A thing oozed toward the light.

Ancestral fears bubbled up. It's true that I carry the blood of the Deep Ones in my veins – on rare occasions, even proudly. But I'm also a Marsh. Every instinct screamed to run from that mass of protoplasmic tissue, slime, and temporary organs.

"Sh-shoggoth…" I whispered.

Clara's face smoothed quickly. This came as no surprise: "almost-human" covers a lot of ground, and my cousin's mortal pedigree came a distant second to my own.

…Not that this was a disadvantage. She cocked an eyebrow at me.

"My, but you're nervous, dear cousin."

I forced my hands open and let an old mantra flow through me:

Y'ha-nthlei opens for the worthy;

To be a Marsh is to walk with death

The more rational part of my mind began calculating. The shoggoth was big and scary as all get-out, but it was also unwieldy. I couldn't take it through city streets during daylight hours, and needed to tread carefully at night. Worse, it couldn't stop incorporeal Servants at all. It might take down Whateley's critter if I was lucky, but I had no idea about the Delapores.

The shoggoth bubbled; a viscous sphere of rubbery protoplasm fifteen feet across. Black, shiny liquid leaked from its pores. Vapors billowed around it. In that darkness, its tissue glowed faintly. Body parts churned to the surface of the mass, only to dissolve again. Here, a tooth. There, an eye. The latter stared at me until the blood froze in my chest.

And then, the eye turned to Clara. A mouth formed. Tremors rolled through the creature's repulsive limbs as its voice came out in a whine.

"Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"

Pth'thya-l'ya smiled.

"Why Clara," she said. "I think it likes you."

Clara said nothing.

"In any case, you two have a lot to discuss."

The family matriarch nodded to both of us, and then headed for the stairway. Fortunately, she left the lamp. Her light footfalls reverberated like a kettle drum throughout the vault. Clara ran her fingers along the tiara, pressing the pits and ridges until they indented her skin. Her hands were paler than I remembered.

I cleared my throat.

"We'll set up in the Rue d'Auseil," I said. "I'll contact Veronica about my other equipment."

"And the shoggoth?" she said.

"Let Pth'thya-l'ya figure out transportation, if she wants to win so badly."

Clara's lips tightened. I paused.

"You're…uh…sure you want to go through with this?" I said.

The steady stare I received made me want to kick myself.

The year before, Clara had indulged in a brief liaison with a human. It had been harmless fun at the time, until our respective older siblings had died and left the Marsh family without an heir. Pth'thya-l'ya had given Clara a choice: bewitch the young man into falling in love another woman, or kill him. Apparently, Clara had passed her test of loyalty with flying colors. She'd never told me which choice she'd made. I'd never asked.

…Though I had my suspicions.

Clara continued to fiddle with the tiara.

"If I live, I'll complete the mission," she said. "If I die, I expect you to command the shoggoth with my corpse."

She must have seen my frown, since her eyes narrowed.

"And you?" she said.

"I'm a Marsh," I replied.

And to be fair, Pth'thya-l'ya was family. Nutty as a fruitcake, granted, but family. The mammalian part of my heritage – the rat brain, Clara had always said with a sneer – cared about things like that. Not to mention my cousin-slash-fiancée herself. May the Great Old Ones have mercy on me.

Clara shrugged.

"In that case, we don't have anything further to say," she said. "I will familiarize myself with the shoggoth. You may do…whatever it is you do to prepare for these missions. We will speak again on the trip to the City."

I sighed and stood.

"Fair enough. G'night, Clara."

Her crown dipped with a polite-but-bored nod.

"Good night, Nathaniel."

Clara's disinterest was just as well. I did have work to do.

As soon as I reached the main floor again (and took a few deep breaths), I summoned Veronica. She was a gray-suited, mousy sort of woman who wore her brown hair in a bun and would have slit her own throat for the Family. We'd worked together before.

The Game of Invocation started in a couple days, which meant that most of the other Masters had already departed for the battleground. That, in turn, meant that I had just enough time to dig around for information on Whateley before the fighting began.

"Check with the Dunwich post office first," I said. "Whateley might've filled out a change of address form. I really doubt he'd mention much to his neighbors, but see if he's told them where he's headed. Ditto with the untainted branch of his family."

"Of course, Master."

"Um…also, see if Whateley uses any professionals," I said. "Attorney, stockbroker, real estate broker; that sort of thing. They won't want to talk. Lean on them."

"As in…?"

"Show them why dogs howl in the dark, and why cats prick up their ears after midnight," I said.

I opened a drawer and pulled out a jade amulet. An image in relief stared out from its surface. It depicted a pulpy, tentacled head attached to a scaly body at once humanlike and reptilian. Veronica reached for it. I slapped her hand away. She started.

A moment later, she seemed to remember herself. She dipped her head, and I muttered the Esoteric Order's blessing. Only then did I give her the amulet.

We both breathed a sigh of relief.

"Oh, and check the city assessor and court records," I said. "I have a pretty good idea what Whateley's Servant'll be, but I need a decent picture of his finances. See if he's sold his land, how much he got for it…and…um, right. Check the state DMV about his car, too."

A curt nod. My instructions translated into a flurry of taps and scribbles on Veronica's notepad.

…And now for my weapons.

I'm the first to admit that I've never cut an imposing figure. In those days, I hovered between five-eight and five nine, with my weight in the high 130's on a good day. Blessed swords wouldn't cut it. I needed firepower.

I asked Veronica to put in another order for my special ammunition: hollow rounds stamped with Voorish lettering. As soon as they arrived, I would fill them with Ibn Ghazi's powder myself. I doubted that they could stop a Servant (although hope springs eternal), but they'd at least served their purpose well enough against my fellow halfbreeds in the past.

The German Shepherds were another detail. Alberich and Wolfram couldn't abide Clara, so they'd have to travel separately. Fortunately, they couldn't abide most of our opponents, either. I needed a canary in the coalmine.

As you might have guessed, my lack of Old Blood was more than an incidental source of self-consciousness. It was a weakness. Unlike Clara, I couldn't perform most of the greater rites that mark a true sorcerer. Even with my diluted lineage, though, I could still wield one supernatural weapon. In the bottom drawer of my desk sat a rosewood box, and in the rosewood box rested an ivory carving. It was a youth's head, young and beautiful, crowned with a laurel wreath.

I pocketed it.

For the rest, Wormius' translation of the Necronomicon was naturally de rigueur, though I probably would've taken Dee's version in a pinch. I arranged to put Veronica in touch with my cousin Arthur, who was working on a doctorate at Miskatonic's City campus. Admittedly, he belonged to the undecayed side of the Marsh family, but I suspected that he would get a copy for me.

Besides, I'd gotten along well with him in the past. He would want to keep it that way.

That night, I dreamed of old gardens and enchanted woods. Like a child at play, I ran along the tops of bronze walls choked with vines, and trekked through valleys of gold and shadows. Deserted temples echoed with my skipping footsteps. The southern breeze whispered invitations in my ear, and I followed these summons across a sea lit by strange stars.
    Last edited by Zalgo Jenkins; March 25th, 2014 at 04:03 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Grant's Avatar
    Actually made Shinji just-over-the-border likable in that first one.

My favorite's the Lovecraft one. I think it and the first have potential. The femGil one would, but the idea of a teenage Kirei is kinda creepy. I'm far more interested in Gilgamesh tempting Rin.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Actually made Shinji just-over-the-border likable in that first one.

My favorite's the Lovecraft one. I think it and the first have potential.
    Thanks. I had the Lovecraft story all mapped out, too. Just didn't have the time for the ~60,000 words it would have taken.

The femGil one would, but the idea of a teenage Kirei is kinda creepy. I'm far more interested in Gilgamesh tempting Rin.
    I basically lifted Teenage!Kirei from Vestigial Mercies, with an alteration or two. And yes, he is kinda creepy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalgo Jenkins View Post
    Thanks. I had the Lovecraft story all mapped out, too. Just didn't have the time for the ~60,000 words it would have taken.
    Damn you and your having a life.

My favorite was the The Weak, but I oh-so-much loved your choice of Goldeneye 64 for Luddites.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalgo Jenkins View Post
    Damn you and your having a life.
    ^ WHAT HE SAID!
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

You know, with the benefit of hindsight, I could probably have squeezed Azathoth's Masque into 40,000 words.

It wouldn't have given poor Nathaniel much breathing space. Even less than Meriwether got in Postnuptial Disagreements. To put it in Nasuverse terms, he'd basically be fighting six Matou families, each with their own version of Gilles de Rais.

Then again, that would fit Lovecraft's themes of an inexorable slide into madness and misery pretty well. There's not much room for Postnuptial Disagreements-style hijinks or slice of life material in the Rite of Sacrificial Petitioners. Especially not with Clara as your partner.

Eh, someday. One thing at a time, I guess.
    Last edited by Zalgo Jenkins; June 18th, 2013 at 12:43 AM.

Do you feel like a hero yet? Soldat der Trauer's Avatar
    A world that never was, a dream that might yet be.
    GLORIOUSSSSSSSSSSSS
    Let the victor...be justice.

Metal Gear's conception of cyborgs has now convinced me that the real reason there were no more Holy Grail Wars is because Servants became obsolete in the near future, and that past humans and their superiority can just bend over and take it from modern technology.
    @Bloble: You shut the hell up, you're like in every RP on the page, you MIRACULOUSLY LUCKY whore-monger. You not getting in is like me winning the lottery in two states, obtaining a girlfriend, and not ending up nursing another migraine, simultaneously, by the end of this evening.

If you ever do professional writing you might be able to rework the Lovecraft idea into something else. Plenty of works out there have the "we're all doomed and that thing is an abomination and blah blah". Not so many can give a good "human" (for lack of a better word) perspective on it all.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I still love the Kiritsugu/Ilya snippet(although if she wants to use explosives for fish, what would she use for the big game. The first snippet The Weak Do had the usual issues with it you would have from me(making more out of Sakura's jealousy than there is, the tryst didn't actually help her with the worms since he wasn't a magus and getting energy from normal people is like refueling a Hummer with an eyedropper, and Shinji didn't know about the worms until he saw the training), other than that, it was believable, taking notice of your addendum.

The story that had Zouken "bonding" with his "grandchildren" was oddly cute, and for some reason, I thought they had been bonding through playing Dead Space in the beginning, which would be just whoa.
    The Berserker-chan one and teenage Kirei one were good crack, I kind of wonder just how much vodka Rin had consumed to think Shirou looked good in fishnets.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

Contents, Part II

The Best Laid Plans [Teenage!Kirei, Female!Gil, and Sekirei]

Spoiler:
    The Best Laid Plans [Sekirei/FSN, Teenage!Kirei, Fem!Gil]

The room was like a cross between a hotel lobby and a cathedral. Gil’s high heels clicked on the marble floor as I kept an eye out for trouble. The prana density had become almost stifling. It reminded me of the Clock Tower, or the vault of artifacts that the Burial Agency shared with Section XIII. The spaces between my fingers tingled, ready to summon Black Keys.

It had been an interesting trip. Whoever had designed the MBI building must have been an unusually murderous relation of Rube Goldberg’s. We’d walked by half-constructed pit traps, flamethrower nozzles, and boulders suspended over steel hallways.

We stopped when we reached the elevators. Gil “a-hem’d”. I dutifully clicked the “Up” button.

While we waited, Gil stared up at the bronze engraving above us. It was sixty feet high, depicting the MBI tower surmounted by a bird sigil with four teardrops and a Yin-Yang. Beams of light, raised in relief, streamed down from the sigil. The engraver had carved “M.B.I” in cursive along the bottom. He’d omitted the final period.

“Hideous,” Gil said. “It’s not even a good copy.”

“Of…?”

“Amarna,” she said.

“Er...I don’t think that’s exactly what the Japanese were aiming for—“

She snorted.

“Ho-oh?” she said. “So sure, Kirei? Well. I can’t say I’m surprised that you don’t recognize a poor attempt to emulate Art Deco, or remember that it was influenced by New Kingdom art.”

“Um…”

Gil smirked, fingering one of the oblong golden links of her necklace. After much cajoling (read: begging), I’d convinced her to wear her relatively conservative white shirt/skirt hybrid and tan tights instead of something more…inappropriate. Nevertheless, they hugged Gil’s figure enough to show off her model’s physique. And she reveled in it.

Gil gave an airy sigh. She waved her hand.

“But what would I know?” she said. “I’m just the Queen of Heroes, possessor of the greatest treasure vault in history. Hardly up to the standards of a teenager who took a couple art tours at the Vatican.”

The elevator pinged, and opened.

There was a young woman. She wore a red blouse and a long black skirt with matching stockings; the days when she’d preferred a miniskirt to keep her legs free were over. A cross hung around her neck. Crystal. She was respectable now, in a way that I still wasn’t. The Wizard Marshall’s only sane pupil. I noted with a little disappointment that she no longer wore her hair in pigtails.

Rin Tohsaka’s eyes widened when she saw us, and for the briefest of instants, I felt the edges of my mouth tugging upward as well.

“K-Kirei?!” she said. “What are you--?”

Gil coughed.

We,” said Gil, “are here to supervise MBI’s Sekirei Project for the Burial Agency.”

“O-oh…”

Rin reddened, probably remembering the months of Gil’s sexual harassment that had followed Heaven’s Feel. I took a few moments to savor it before getting down to business.

“And you’re here on behalf of the Clock Tower?” I said.

Rin smoothed her dress. Eyes narrowed again.

Three.

Two.

One.

And the blank expression was back.

Ah, Rin…Wouldn’t want to betray more humanity than necessary in front of a childhood friend, would we?

“…Yes,” Rin said. “Let’s hope we can do this smoothly, Kirei.”

“Of course.”

I stretched my arm toward the elevator, ushering the Queen of Heroes in. She glided next to Rin, smiling down at the Clock Tower's resident genius like Zouken eyeing a live bait sale. Gil licked her lips. Rin’s fingers drummed on the sides of her dress.

Far be it from me to interrupt. I feigned interest in my smartphone as best I could. Gil started tracing her finger along the inside of Rin’s elbow, which my former “teacher” did her valiant best to ignore.

Mh. Poor choice.

The elevator rose a little too quickly, like an amusement park ride. My stomach seemed to lighten and flip-flop. Pop music warbled through the sound system, interrupted every so often by a bell tone when we passed another floor.

Tic-tic-tic-ticka-tic-ticka-tic

Space.

Tic-ticka-tic-tic-tic

Tic-tic-ticka-tic--

“S-Stop that!”

“You know you’re enjoying it, Rin…”

“No I’m not—o-ohh! Mmm….”

Tic-ticka-tic- ticka-tic-tic-tic

Space.

Tic—

“What's that you're doing, Kirei?” Rin said.

She tilted her head to one side. A passable imitation of interest. What a shame that Gil already knew about Rin’s rampant Luddism.

“Trolling atheist forums,” I said. “But please, Rin. Don’t let me distract you and Gil from your…assignations.”

Rin frowned.

“'Trolling'…?”

Gil peered over my shoulder, even as her hands crept up to massage Rin’s neck. Rin managed to suppress her start. Gil tapped my smartphone’s glass. She scrolled down.

“And winning, apparently,” Gil added. “Somehow.”

Rin leaned forward and looked. Probably to escape Gil’s ministrations more than anything else. (Not that it helped.) White light reflected from her eyes as she scanned the screen. Her frown deepened.

“I’m not sure whether I should be impressed by your dedication to apologetics, or disturbed,” Rin said.

Gil jabbed a finger at the screen.

“Ha!” Gil said. “Another fish bites! Do that thing with the ontological argument again.”

“Which alt?”

“Gilgam0wn3d, obviously.”

“As Her Majesty commands.”

While I inflicted my fiftieth barely-coherent paraphrase of Anselm on the reading public, Gil continued to knead Rin’s shoulders. The latter alternated between trying to ignore the Queen of Heroes, and trying to shrug her off. Neither worked.

“Rin,” Gil said. “Rin, Rin, Rin….Still shy. I missed that.”

Rin said nothing. She stiffened when Gil’s hands crept lower. Gil leaned forward and whispered into Rin’s reddening ears.

“It’s so frustrating to live with Kirei,” Gil said. “Like one of those celibate priestesses of yours.”

“N-nuns,” Rin squeaked.

Poor girl was panting now. Dear little Rin. If only your father could see you now. I made a mental note to bring this to her attention. Later, of course. It’s so much easier to learn from mistakes after you make them.

“Pah,” Gil said. “As if I care what you people call yourselves. One of these days, I’m just going to have to throw Kirei on the couch and ravish him...if only to see the guilt in his eyes after I’ve taken what’s mine. The boy’s more uptight than you are, despite his warped--”

“D-d-don’t talk about s-such things!”

Gil breathed on Rin’s neck. Her victim swallowed heavily.

“…Ho-oh…Perhaps you’d like to join us, Rin? I may have a couple things in the Gate of Babylon to help with that…”

Rin replied with babbling and frantic hand-waving, intending either to convey “no” or to provide low-flying aircraft with emergency direction.

“Oh, look at her, Kirei. She would.”

“Kirei! Tell your S-Servant to that this c-c-conduct is indecent.”

“Better you than me, Rin.”

Gil began unknotting the bow around Rin’s neck. Goosebumps appeared where the silk slished across her skin.

Gil smiled.

“She’s been pining for us, Kirei,” she said.

“Th-that’s—“ Rin began.

Gil plucked the top buttons off Rin’s dress. Ms. Tohsaka’s breath hitched at the jolt in a very un-maguslike way.

Thwip

Thwip.

“I’ll stop if you tell me to, Rin…”

“Ahhh…um...that is—Mmmm...

Gil had completely encircled Rin’s body by now, her fingers wandering places they probably shouldn’t have been. Judging from Rin’s shivers, the Queen of Heroes’ skills had not faded since Heaven’s Feel.

“Even a tame dog sometimes bites his mistress,” she whispered. “I tolerate Kirei’s failings because it amuses me…for now. But that doesn’t mean I’ll avoid taking my pleasures elsewhere. Especially with a toy I enjoyed so much in the past…”

“Hnngrg,” said Rin.

PING!

And the elevator doors opened.

Rin Tohsaka – face flushed, hair mussed, and clothing half-peeled – froze when she realized that the Director of MBI and several strangely-dressed women were staring at her.

It took six seconds of wide-eyed indecision before she grabbed the top of her dress and closed it. Six delicious seconds of terror and humiliation. Why can’t these moments last a lifetime?

The Queen of Heroes, of course, was already at my side again. Smiling innocently.

Gil and I shared a fist-bump behind our backs.

The strangely-dressed women must have been Sekirei, judging from the prana signatures. The smallest looked in her late teens. She wore a black gi, pink fingerless gloves, and a scowl that looked uncannily similar to Cornelius Alba’s after I’d creatively rebottled his hair products. The second was swaddled from neck to toe in bandages. She had a bladed glove. The blades grated against each other like scissors when she waved at us.

And the third…

“Oh, she’s adorable, Kirei,” Gil said. “I want her.”

“And you’re referring to—“

“The one with the black uniform and katana who’s giving us a death glare.”

“…Obviously.”

Chairman Minaka hopped out of his seat, a goofy grin stamped across his face. He wore a white suit, white cape, white pants, and white gloves, like a vampire on photo-negative. His hair was gray and frizzy. It matched the rest of his ensemble pretty well.

The Chairman slammed a finger onto his desk's speakerphone. With relish. His voice almost vibrated, and he was twitching in a manner not entirely dissimilar from a hamster when you inject it with adrenaline.

“TAKAMI!” he said. “They came! They came! The wizards are here! And they’re stripping!

Rin’s face glowed red. I held out a hand and fought moderately hard to control my smirk.

“Ah…Chairman,” I said. “Pleased to meet—“

“Show me a magic trick.”

“Sorry, I don’t—“

“Please?”

I had not, until that moment, known that a fifty year old man with hair that looked like it had lost a fight with an electrical socket could do a puppy dog impression. But Minaka did. Somehow.

“Rin?” I said. “Maybe it would be best if you…um.”

“Right…” she said. “Ansuz.”

Still clutching her blouse’s collar firmly shut, Rin traced a rune in the air. The lines glowed red. A small fire ignited with a fwuff, hovered for a moment, and burned out.

Minaka clapped.

Amazing!” he said. “Sit! Please, sit!”

We did.

The Sekirei in bandages leaned against a wall, watching us while she fingered what appeared to be a dog collar on her neck. The pink-haired one stood a bit further away. She kept stealing glances at Rin and blushing, for whatever reason. Didn’t look too happy about it, either. The Chairman introduced us to both – Haihane and Benitsubasa, respectively.

Rin and I gave our own names in return.

The third’s eyes never left us. Karasuba. The Black Sekirei. Leader of the so-called Disciplinary Squad. Her gaze flicked from Gil to me, and back again. I felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickling up.

While Chairman Minaka explained his plans to do a controlled release of the Sekirei to find human mates, Karasuba’s aura intensified. Prana oozed out of her body. Black irises peered at us through very prematurely gray bangs. Rough hands toyed with the hilt of her katana. She was panting.

I reinforced myself. Rin began reaching for her own jewels.

Not.

Fast.

Enough.

Karasuba launched herself at me like a bullet train. Her sword blurred. Rin’s jewel fell in two pieces on the ground, still fizzling with unused prana. Karasuba swung again. A shining swish in the air. I materialized Black Keys to meet her blade.

The Black Keys shattered.

Chairman Minaka had barely had time to gape when I materialized a second set. Karasuba slashed at my head. I ducked. Threw a second handful of Black Keys. She batted them away so quickly that the air seemed to glow silver. I’d seen slower Servants. And she was laughing.

“Come on...Kirei Kotomine is it?” she said. “Let me draw another smile to go with that smirk of yours.”

I backpedaled. Readied another barrage. Karasuba danced after me, though, and I discovered that my footwork couldn’t keep up. She angled me toward a wall, cutting off the battlefield. I feinted. Juked—No.

My blood splattered on the carpet. A split-second of weightlessness hit me when my calf gave out. Severed.

The misstep had cost me. I felt a line of pain drawn up my leg. I avoided crying out, and summoned spare prana from the Azoth dagger. Rin's gift to me.

Speaking of Rin, she was probably what saved me. She flew at Karasuba with one of those crazy flying kicks – the same ones I’d always told her were impractical. Over the sofa, no less. She caught Karasuba off-center, but it was enough to give me breathing space.

“Oof!”

The Black Sekirei stumbled back. Rin tried to follow up…and Karasuba swatted her across the room.

I rolled away while the cool, soothing feeling of healing magic worked its way through my leg. Muscles rebuilt. Karasuba embedded her katana in the carpet a moment too late.

Not a problem, apparently. Karasuba tore her sword free from the foot-deep hole as if it had been empty air. It might – might – have slowed down a few fractions of an instant. Wood, concrete, and carpet fibers fell along either end of the blade.

I deflected it with the Azoth dagger. Karasuba’s eyes widened for a split-second while I swept the Black Keys against her undefended side—

She shoulder-checked me into the desk. The edge jammed against the small of my back before it cracked in half. I had just enough sense to kick one of the potted ferns at her, which she bisected in mid-air. The pieces flew to either side.

I threw another Black Key, and retreated to the only place available: the edge of the wall. Karasuba sucked air in through her teeth. She covered the space between us in an instant…

…and nearly tripped over herself when she stopped.

She frowned. Tugged. The crow’s feet around her eyes crinkled even more when she stayed riveted in place. Her sword-point still hovered an inch from my face. I did my best to sink back into the wall.

“What…” she said.

“Magic,” I said.

It’s times like these I’m thankful that the Black Keys can pin shadows. Karasuba’s feet dug into the ground. Still panting. Her unhealthily pale skin had taken on a faint reddish tint. She chuckled.

“Have you killed before, Kirei Kotomine?” she said.

“Now that you mention it—“

“I can tell. You have that succulent tang of death about you.”

“That’s probably just the Axe shower gel.”

Her eyes gleamed. She drew her blade back like a throwing spear -- the one thing I’d hoped wouldn’t occur to her.

Clink.

Gil’s gauntlet had closed around the blade. Her armor bathed the room in golden light. Karasuba tugged. It didn’t work.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you, mongrel.”

Karasuba snarled and redoubled her efforts. The gauntlet just clamped more tightly. Metal screeched on metal, and the blade bent outward as an almost irresistible force met an actually immovable object.

“It was amusing while it lasted, but I can’t have you seriously harming my playthings.”

A low growl started deep in Karasuba’s throat…and stopped. She blinked. Exhaled. No doubt realizing that her sword was a mess, and deciding that she’d kill us all later.

Karasuba let go of the sword. I dissolved my Black Key. Her breathing almost returned to normal, and I saw the blush beginning to fade. Slowly.

A few seconds later, Karasuba had recovered enough to smirk back at her companions. She drew her fingernail along the side of my face.

“Stay away from this one, Benitsubasa,” Karasuba said. “He’d dangle you from meat hooks and laugh about it afterward.”

Karasuba leaned closer. Whispered in my ear.

“Wouldn’t you, Kirei Kotomine?”

I felt a sickly sort of sensation. Crawling and churning. Karasuba withdrew to the only intact couch with a lazy grin.

“So…” I said. “Back to business?”

Minaka hopped over the remains of his desk and pulled up a couple chairs.

We talked for awhile about his plans. Tame stuff, really. The Sekirei would sneak around Shin Tokyo to find mates – called “Ashikabi – while Clock Tower and Burial Agency representatives would provide the necessary mindwipes for occasional mishaps. Simple. Clean. Rin would get thousands of pages of prana research at a bargain price.

Minaka even showed us pointy, diamond-shaped things from the Sekirei ship that he called “Jinki”. Their aura was…disturbing. Even Rin, jewel fetishist extraordinaire, wouldn’t probe their prana reservoirs very deeply.

“Sounds like you have this well in hand, Mr. Minaka,” I said.

“I agree,” Rin said. “I’d say six or seven Enforcers could handle it, max. And that’s…what, another four or five Burial Agents? Add in MBI’s resources – assuming the Disciplinary Squad doesn’t start randomly killing people – and we’re set. What do you think, Kirei?”

I tapped a finger on my chin. Glanced at Karasuba. Imagined her stuck as a glorified Japanese housewife. A waste. Such an incredible species, Sekirei…

“I suppose that would do it,” I said. “Still...”

“What?” said Minaka.

Rin smiled sweetly and elbowed me in the ribs. Hard.

Nothing, Chairman Minaka—“ Rin said.

“It’s just a shame that you can’t find Ashikabis worthy of it, you know?” I said. “Like a test or something.”

“Kirei?” Rin said. “Shut up.”

Minaka glanced at the speakerphone on his (splintered, ruined) desk. The red light was still blinking, which suggested that his “assistant” was listening. Takami, I think the file had said.

Not for long. I clicked it off.

“I mean, I bet you’ve got all sorts of interesting tricks up your sleeve,” I said. “Like those pit traps. And the boulder. And those little fire nozzles I saw on the way in. You’re not just going to let them go to waste, are you?”

Minaka pushed his index fingers together.

“Takami says they scare the guests,” he said quietly.

“Nonsen—Ow.“

Rin had kicked me. I rubbed my ankle.

“No,” Rin hissed. “Not this time, Kirei. You are not dragging me into another mess like that Ancestor hunt in Sotoba, or that thing with the killer notebook, or the cell phone tournament, or the futures trading reality marb –”

“So!” I said. “Mr. Minaka. I bet you’ve even built some secret passages in here.”

“...I installed a rocket escape pod in the roof.”

Marvelous.”

“Takami said it was a waste of money.”

“Pah!” I said. “Bean counters.”

“I know, right?”

I grinned, and put my arm around Minaka’s shoulder.

His glasses glinted back.

Mad Enhancement Achieved

I lead Minaka to the window, where we stared out at glittering vistas of glass and concrete. Shin Tokyo in all its glory. Everything looked so tiny from up here – like a scale model before a Godzilla film.

“It seems to me, Mr. Minaka, that you have all the ingredients of a wonderful little contest,” I said. “And it would be a crime to see your talent for mayhem squandered.”

“I’m…intrigued,” Minaka said. “But what kind of contest, exactly?”

“Well…”

A beep from one of Minaka’s game systems drew my attention. It was a two-dimensional fighting game. A woman dressed in a vaguely Chinese (and not-so-vaguely perverted) dress traded kicks with a well-endowed blonde in a red beret.

I smiled.

Rin must have followed my gaze, since she rudely snapped me from my reverie.

Kirei, not another WORD!

“…Have you considered a fighting tournament?” I said.

Silence.

Ten seconds of absolute silence.

And then, Rin watched in horror as the mad gleam of inspiration dawned in Chairman Minaka’s eyes.

Anti-Bono, Part I [Kirei vs. Kiritsugu, Phoenix Wright Style]

Spoiler:
    Anti-Bono

I opened the courtroom doors, inhaling the sweet scents of polished wood and fear.

Papers shuffled. The judge shifted in his seat, which creaked. A spectator coughed. It was that young reporter again; the one who always railed about corruption and judicial favoritism. So much moral outrage. Anguish. Poor, poor Mr. Velvet.

I straightened my cuffs, and savored the Dormeuil fabric’s texture against my fingertips. I’d chosen a dark red tie for the occasion. An apt choice for the bloodletting that would follow.

I spared a nod to the bench. Judge Archibald nodded back. His powdered wig sank a little forward as he did so. I’d never quite understood why he chose to dress like that. Extreme traditionalism, perhaps. That would certainly explain his numerous attempts to reintroduce public flogging…if only the killjoys on the Second Circuit would stop overruling him.

Never mind. Traditionalism worked rather well in this case.

I glanced at my client.

Tokiomi smiled back at me. It was a tense smile, narrow and nervous. As usual, he’d dressed like a cross between a leisure suit aficionado and a Southern planter. He wore his burgundy-colored velvet suit and a black string necktie. His goatee betrayed its fifteen minutes of daily trimming.

“Kirei,” Tokiomi said. “You’re—Oh, thank the Roo-“

“Not another word. Seriously.”

I hadn’t charged him a penny. It had been a major concession on my part. While I didn’t need the money, watching Tokiomi squirm to the soles of his miserly feet would have been delectable. But not this time. Alas. No, I had a bigger fish to fry. This case would be its own reward.

Across the aisle, Kiritsugu stared me down with those dead-looking eyes. Cold and black. I felt the slightest spark of pleasure when I saw the clammy skin, stubble, and heavy bags under Kiritsugu’s eyes. Years of defense work followed by evening pro-bono for low-income clients had taken its toll.

He patted a pale, decaying-looking man next to him on the shoulder. I knew the man well: Kariya Matou. Kiritsugu’s newest charity case – err, client. Disease had already leached the pigment from his hair.

“Good morning, Mr. Emiya,” I said.

Kiritsugu scowled.

I could even see Kiritsugu’s brood in the back row – the red-headed boy and the albino. The boy sat upright. Patient. Quiet. The girl poked him every time he looked away. But he wouldn’t take his eyes off his father. Oh, no. Mustn’t miss a second of Papa’s triumph.

Heh.

Heheheh.

Mmmh….

Judge Archibald banged his gavel, and gave another periwigged nod. He stood. We rose with him. I could taste it now – the sweet tang of approaching battle.

“Mr. Emiya?" Judge Archibald said.

Kiritsugu Emiya cleared his throat. Oh, by all means…go ahead. Dance for me, Emiya.

“Your Honor,” he said. “I have already admitted Zouken Matou’s will into evidence. The Matou Estate, including the land boundary that Mr. Tohsaka incorrectly claims passed directly to—“

Au contraire, Mr. Emiya,” I said. “Zouken purchased that land in the eighteenth century. By any reasonable definition of ‘life’, Mr. Matou has been a walking corpse for at least a hundred years. Willing the land to Kariya might raise issues under the Rule Against Perpetuities—“

“Tokiomi wouldn’t have a claim either!”

I fought down the giddy flutter in my stomach, and its corresponding urge to cackle.

“Nonsense,” I said. “Tokiomi’s family – none of whom, incidentally, are undead worm-people –“

“Your Honor,” Kiritsugu said. “I object to opposing counsel’s characterization of appendageless-Americans.”

“Overruled,” Kayneth sniffed. “In my day, we didn’t give civil liberties to those sorts of…people.”

I smiled up at the judge.

Precisely, your Honor,” I said. “Where was I?”

“Worm people.”

I drank in the sight of Kiritsugu’s tightening fists and clenched jaw. It was like sipping fine wine.

“Ah, yes,” I said. “Worm people. In any event, Tokiomi Tohsaka’s family used the disputed land for recreational purposes since the first Heaven’s Feel. As His Honor is surely aware, such continuous, open, and notorious use of the property – when combined with other factors you’ll see in my brief –“

Kiritsugu’s chair squealed as he pushed it out to stand.

“My client has been suffering from a debilitating disease!” Kiritsugu shouted. “How does the Court expect him to pay attention to running his estate when he’s in that condition? For the love of…he’s being eaten alive!

Kayneth frowned.

“Sit down, Mr. Emiya.”

Kiritsugu sat. He glared daggers across the aisle.

Kayneth turned to me with a sigh.

“Mr. Kotomine,” Kayneth said. “Your brief is noted. Unfortunately, certain other factors mentioned in Mr. Emiya’s brief – which certainly do not include the natural outcomes of Kariya Matou’s own irresponsible life choices -- have forced me to reluctantly incline toward his arguments. Very reluctantly. If you have anything else…”

Judge Archibald’s expression looked uncannily similar to Rin’s during the holiday season -- every year, hoping against hope that I hadn’t convinced Tokiomi to buy her more school notebooks for Christmas.

“I do, Your Honor,” I said.

“Go on.”

I nodded to Tokiomi. He opened his suitcase with pair of clicks, and withdrew a white glove and a piece of parchment. With the smooth poise of an actor, he strode up to Kariya Matou and presented him with the tokens.

Kiritsugu snatched the parchment. As he read it, his brows furrowed.

“Ahem…” I said. “As the Court is doubtless aware, the English common law recognized trial by combat in land disputes.”

“What?!” Kiritsugu said.

“Now, my opponent will probably try to argue that the Wager of Battle was abolished,” I said. “And it was. In Britain. But that wasn’t until Ashford v. Thornton in 1819 – long after the American colonies separated. And since the Constitution retained all rights traditionally enjoyed by British subjects…”

I let the words linger in the air. Kiritsugu’s mouth hung open. Kariya Matou’s shoulders sagged. He went into another fit of coughing up blood. Oh, how I wished it could last forever.

“…my client, Tokiomi Tohsaka, demands his Constitutional right to trial by battle,” I finished.

Judge Archibald’s eyes had widened into miniature bowling balls. He was practically drooling.

“Granted,” he said.

“That…that’s ridiculous!” Kiritsugu shouted.

“That, Mr. Emiya,” I said with a grin, “is the law.”

Anti-Bono, Part II
    [Kirei vs. Kiritsugu, Phoenix Wright Style]
    Spoiler:
    Anti-Bono (Part 2 of 2)

The appointed day had finally arrived.

Somebody had put up silk banners. The fabric fwopped gently in the breeze. Presumably, the same person was also responsible for nailing Tohsaka and Matou coats of arms to a couple of trees. Kayneth appeared to have exchanged his judicial robe and wig for something out of the Merchant of Venice.

Workmen had spent the better part of a week constructing a sixty-by-sixty wooden enclosure in the middle of the city park. Kayneth evidently had a few friends on the city council. Aside from Kayneth’s mahogany throne with eagles carved into the armrests, everybody sat on crude plywood benches.

And what a crowd it was. Irisviel Emiya practically radiated elegance in her mink coat (it was July). She’d brought the children, which struck me as moderately irresponsible parenting given that this was a duel to the death. Judge Archibald had apparently followed suit. His son sat in a chair beside him. The boy had brought a girlfriend, too – an Asian girl with pink hair. Kayneth kept shooting her dirty looks. As for the others, I noticed Waver Velvet from the Times, just out of college and already inhaling cigarette smoke like oxygen. A red-headed man with an earring watched the proceedings from the back row, a wide grin plastered across his face. Kept staring at Rin, too. Nobody was quite sure how he’d gotten in.

Kiritsugu looked across the field at me. He’d already stripped off his coat, and was going through an approximation of a warmup. In accordance with the Wager of Battle’s rules, Kiritsugu had agreed to be Kariya’s “champion”.

Tokiomi fiddled with an amethyst, flipping it through his fingers like a magician playing with a coin.

“What happens now?” Tokiomi said.

“Now?” I said. “You find a champion to fight for you.”

“Oh…that’s—wait, find a champion?”

“Yes,” I said. “Someone who can swear to the justice of your cause. According to the rules –“

“You were supposed to do that!” Tokiomi snapped.

I shrugged.

“I can’t, I’m afraid.”

“Why not?”

“The law requires each champion to swear to the justice of his cause.”

Tokiomi’s frown deepened into a scowl.

“And?” he said.

“I dislike lying.”

Tokiomi’s brow furrowed. His grip on the amethyst tightened until I suspected that it would leave a mark.

“You’re a lawyer!” he said.

“So I've been told.”

He glanced at Kiritsugu. Looked back to me. Pursed his lips. Five, four, three…

“All right!” he growled. “Fine! What do you want, Kirei?”

I’ve been told that bewildered innocence is one of my better performances.

“Me?” I said. “My dear Tokiomi, are you implying that I’m somehow extorting you?”

“Triple your normal rates,” Tokiomi said.

“Oh, but I couldn’t…”

“My stocks,” he said. “The car. A tenth of my rare jewel collection, even! Please Kirei! I’m not going to let that bastard Kariya beat me, do you understand me? Never.”

“…Let me choose your daughter’s school district.”

“W-what?”

“Let me pick Rin’s school district,” I said. “And every summer camp she’ll attend until her eighteenth birthday.”

Tokiomi's eyes narrowed. His hand hovered near his goatee. Pondering, no doubt, what the catch was.

“That’s…Okay, sure,” he said. “I don’t see why that would be a problem. You seem like a responsible sort.”

“…Along with my customary hourly rate,” I said.

“Drat.”

Another pause. Fortunately, Tokiomi’s appalling parenting skills and desire to beat the cripple won out. We clasped hands.

“Done,” Tokiomi said.

“And done,” I replied.

I put on the regulation boiled leather armor. It clomped when its pieces bumped together – not unlike the cardboard suit of armor I'd assembled as a child. Not to mention the leather shield. And greaves. And best of all, a “warhammer”. Or small sledgehammer, depending on whether you chose to ignore the Ace Hardware logo on the hilt. Emiya was equipped the same way.

Ah, Emiya.

How long had I waited for this day of reckoning?

I’d often pictured this meeting of titans in my mind’s eye. In another world, perhaps. Two warriors giving battle with arcane armories beyond human ken. A duel of blazing pistols and knives that could cut through a man’s shadow…and kill the unkillable. We would tear at each other with superhuman strength. Like beasts. Monsters. Assassins who had walked a path of murder and blood, drenched in the black mud of a terrible chalice…

Alas, we were both middle-aged lawyers.

Kiritsugu discarded his shield. He stood with his feet apart, holding his sledgehammer a bit like a tennis racquet. Judging from the woodcuts in the Young Person’s Encyclopedia of Medieval Life I’d checked out the previous day as research, this was probably poor form.

I feinted. Kiritsugu flinched back, running sideways like he was trying to intercept a tennis ball. I chased him a couple yards, until my arm started aching from swinging the sledgehammer too vigorously. I called it quits before I tripped over the shield.

Kiritsugu circled back.

He feinted. I stumbled away. Kiritsugu lurched forward to exploit the opening, but I managed to wave my sledgehammer in a way that was vaguely menacing enough to back him off. We exchanged dirty looks.

Matters continued in this vein for awhile.

The sun beat down. I could feel rivulets of sweat pouring into the leather armor. And why on earth had I chosen to wear a wool suit under this thing? Emiya was already gasping. I wasn’t doing much better. Between breaths, I thanked the powers for my weekly racquetball sessions with the younger associates.

“Oh, dear…” I wheezed. “Too many…late nights…and Ramen noodles…Emiya?”

“You don’t look…like you’ve been doing…your pushups either…Kirei,” Kiritsugu replied. “And on…that note—HAH!”

Kiritsugu half-lunged, half-tripped at me. Gravel crunched underfoot at his charge. His sledgehammer looped in an arc. I raised my shield, but the impact smashed it from my grip. My arm throbbed.

“YEAH! Splatter the bastard!” Rin shouted. “WOOOO!”

Tokiomi glared down at his daughter, who winced.

“…Um, go Kirei,” she finished lamely.

But all was not lost. Kiritsugu tripped over my foot as I tried to escape. He tumbled into a cloud of dust and tangled limbs, and I had just enough presence of mind to grab his discarded sledgehammer. I tossed it a couple feet away.

And there he was. My mortal enemy, lying in the dust. I’d never seen such a look of cold hatred in another man’s eyes. In the stands, Irisviel started hustling her children away.

Kiritsugu was breathing hard enough to cough up a lung. I tried to keep myself from swaying.

“What…are you waiting…for?” he said.

“Running…the clock,” I said. “I bill…by the hour.”

We waited there for what seemed like ages. I, savoring the moment. Kiritsugu, contemplating his death. Soon, I would have the triumph I’d always—

He grabbed my foot with a final gasp. Pulled. I hopped on one leg and tried to swing my sledgehammer. No dice. Kiritsugu stumbled forward until I fell. He dropped on top of me, hands around my neck.

“Oof!”

“Cry craven,” he said.

I considered my options. The cold fingers of death were already tightening around my throat. I checked my watch.

“You sure you can’t ask that question again in another six minutes? I keep track of billables in half-hour intervals.”

“NOW, KIREI!”

My vision swam. I felt the pressure building in my neck. My eyes seemed to bulge. Building, building…

“Fine,” I said.

“Nice try. Say it.”

I scowled.

“Craven,” I muttered.

“Louder!”

The fingers closed further. Oh, very well.

“Craven!” I said. “Happy now, Emiya?”

Kiritsugu replied by rolling off of me and collapsing onto his back.

The crowd roared. All eleven of them.

While I tried to catch my breath, Judge Archibald strode onto the field. The peacock feather in his burgher’s hat kept drooping into his face. He flicked it repeatedly, to no avail.

“In accordance with the ancient laws,” Judge Archibald intoned, “The penalty of the perjuror hangs heavy upon you, Kirei Kotomine. Never again can you act as the witness in a client’s dispute.”

The crowd was silent. Except for Rin, who cackled like a schoolgirl – a schoolgirl, I might add, who would soon be spending her middle school years at the Frances J. Welch Reformatory for Incorrigible Children.

“Eh, ABA rules prohibit me from doing that anyway,” I said. “Frankly, I was surprised you allowed me to pull this off at all.”

Judge Archibald glowered even more than usual.

Furthermore,” he said, “the Rite of the Duellum demands that you pay three pounds to the rightful tenant.”

A pall of menace descended on the field.

“So that’s…what, four dollars?” I said.

Kayneth looked down at his son, who in turn looked at the pink-haired girl. She sighed and whipped out a calculator.

Tick-tacka-tick…

“Four dollars and seventy-one cents,” she said.

“Sold,” I said.

One five dollar bill later, I picked myself up and peeled off the armor. After a few fruitless attempts to brush the dust off my suit, I looked down at Kiritsugu. The rest of the Emiyas had already gathered around their patriarch, babbling their saccharine congratulations.

“I’m appealing this,” I said.

“…What.”

“I’m appealing the decision,” I said. “Just give me a week to look through the old Eyre records, and I’ll find a couple nice, juicy precedents—“

“You’re insane, Kirei,” Kiritsugu said. “They’ll shoot it down. Give up. It’s over.”

I smiled.

“Oh, it hasn’t begun, Emiya,” I said. “I’m planning to start a wager-of-battle advocacy organization. We’ll take it all the way to the Supreme Court. They’ll have to grant cert eventually.”

“WHY?!”

“Why else?” I said. “To annoy the Justices and take up time that should be devoted to more legitimate civil liberties questions.”

I shrugged, and headed for the gate. Kiritsugu’s brood were already hopping up and down like rabbits on caffeine pills. The red-headed boy was particularly vigorous.

“DAD! THAT WAS SOOOO COOL! YOU WERE LIKE A SUPERHERO! WHEN I GROW UP, I WANNA FIGHT BAD GUYS JUST! LIKE! THAT!”

That was…

Hm.

I found myself turning around.

“Boy,” I said.

The child stopped swinging his little fists just long enough to stick out his jaw and glower at me. Irisviel tensed. Kiritsugu started to pull himself into standing position.

“You do know that superheroes operate outside the law, don’t you?” I said.

“Wh-huh?” said the boy.

“Vigilantism,” I said. “Look it up. Growth industry, that. Marvelous job prospects.”

A thoughtful look crossed the boy’s face. He turned to his sister. She, too, scrunched up her features with a pondering sort of expression. Both turned back to their father, grinning from ear to ear.

“Dad?” he said. “When we grow up, can Ilya and I be vigili—villi—whatever he said?”

If one listened closely enough, one could almost hear a faint grinding of teeth issuing from Kiritsugu Emiya, Esquire.

And that…? That almost made it a draw.

A Study in Velvet [Waver Velvet Murder Mystery, Post Fate/Zero]

Spoiler:
    Clock Tower, December 24, 1996

Scritch.

Scritch.

Scritch.

The blonde girl at my desk peered over my parchment. Her quill was still scribbling furiously, as if her left hand had a life of its own. Every so often, she sniffed and adjusted her spectacles with an inky finger. The lenses glinted.

The girl looked up. I held my breath, and…

“Tripe, Mr. Velvet,” she said. “Puerile, idiotic, unpublishable – nay, unreadable – tripe. Start over.”

…Ladies and gentlemen, for your edification: Catherine Margaret Lucretia Archibald.

Catherine was the second cousin (or something) of my deceased professor of blessed memory: Kayneth Archibald, KG, D.D., Ph.D., L.L.M. (tax), ex-Senior Euryphis Lecturer, ex-Fellow of the Royal Society, and ex-First Lord El-freaking-Melloi.

Kayneth had been…a mentor. We’ll go with that. Sure, he’d kinda torn up my dissertation and publicly humiliated me because of academic differences, ruining my chances of ever getting ahead in the Clock Tower. Fair enough. But he’d also taught me some valuable life lessons. Like survival skills. In a magical deathmatch. Wherein he’d tried to kill me.

I liked to think of my relationship with Catherine as a continuation of that tradition.

To be fair, she detested me. It had started back in Heaven’s Feel – the aforementioned magical deathmatch, where each competitor had summoned an ancient spirit to fight for them. I’d called up Alexander the Great, who’d compensated for his tendency to walk around naked by being the most incredibly awesome person ever. Kayneth had gotten an Irish hero from Finn’s cycle.

Several blood-soaked days later, I’d lost the tournament, but had managed to survive. Kayneth had just lost.

Unfortunately, that had left a little gap in the Archibald line. One that they were only too eager to fill with my newly-marriageable self, thanks to my surviving Heaven’s Feel.

After I’d politely explained that sealing a marriage pact with a geis death curse signed in my choice of bodily fluids had not appealed to me, they’d offered a compromise: Catherine would act as my “mentor”, while scoping me out as Kayneth’s possible successor. Should the Archibalds find themselves dissatisfied with their choice, they were free to return their Waver Velvet within 90 days for a full refund.

I was beginning to wonder whether they’d take Catherine back if I just agreed to their deal. Which was probably what the bastards had planned all along.

“Um…Catherine—"

And of course, the Umpteenth-Generation Magi Brigade chose that moment to burst into drunken song down the hall. Chemical accompaniment was provided courtesy of three winecasks, a puncheon of aqua vitae, and whatever harder stuff they’d been able to steal from the alchemy labs.

I heard a wineglass crash. The sound briefly interrupted a charming rendition of I was born to die in a tavern, sung offkey.

Yeah. That’d be Bartley.

See, Bartley was one of your true-blue magi. The kind who still called white bread “manchet”, and could trace his inbred rosebush of a family tree for longer than you could keep awake. Half the guys on my floor had “taken his cloth” – in this case, a bit of gold filigree sewn in their right cuffs. Think of it like that “gang” you and your friends invented as kids. Only dumber.

Well, at least Bartley wasn’t my roommate. That honor went to poor Edmund Stanton, who either had the patience of a saint or the boot-licking skills of a political genius. Nervous-looking little guy. Green eyes. Always seemed to be wincing. Edmund had put up with everything from Bartley’s paranoia about people “stealing” his stuff, to Bartley’s not-very-secret affair with Ralston Connor’s fiancée (Irene, if you're wondering), to Bartley’s general Bartley-ness.

At least Ed wouldn’t have to deal with Bartley’s latest party. Edmund was spending his nights at the library recently – ever since he’d walked in on Bartley and Irene Soon-To-Be-Connor in his dorm. Or maybe he just liked really old manuscripts.

I heard Irene’s whinnying laugh. Followed by:

“C’mere, Bartley…”

Succeeded in its turn by:

“KISS HER! KISS HER! KISS HER! KISS—YEAAAAAH!!!!!”

You really had to wonder whether Ralston Connor was paying much attention to his fiancée’s social circle these days. He was out late again. Working on some kind of alchemical / spiritual invocation hybrid project.

“Say, Catherine?” I said.

“What?”

“You know all those incredibly noisy guys down the hall—“

“You wrote most of this drivel in the library. Enough with your excuses.”

“I was thinking more along the lines of you going over and asking them to shut up. Y’know, since they’re more your type of people.”

“Are you implying that I’m also a drunken idiot, Mr. Velvet? One who will undoubtedly get killed by her own experiments at some point in the not-too-distant future?”

“I just meant that you’re more…um, magus-ey than I am. So they might listen to you—“

“Say ‘magus-ey’ again, and I’ll brain you with a paperweight.”

A door slammed in the hallway.

I heard paper rustling, a scuffle, and something that sounded suspiciously like “hit him again, Bartley!”

“…Excuse me,” I said.

I peered out.

You know those times when something you thought was an issue turns out to be completely innocent? Yeah, no.

Benjamin VanCreveld was on his knees, fussing with a giant stack of parchment that had been scattered across the floor. I glanced at a couple of the visible papers. Plautus, Aristotelian humors theory, cosmography, alchemy…

“Say, Bartley,” Irene Soon-To-Be-Connor said. “That smell. You recognize it? Like a decaying goat or something…”

Bartley smiled that perfectly-crowned smile of his.

“I believe, Irene dear, that it’s a bejaunus.”

Bartley muttered something, and a mask of ice formed in front of Benjamin VanCreveld’s face. The mask grew an ox’s horns, an owl’s beak, and teeth.

“So it is,” said Irene. “Shall I speak to it?”

Bartley shrugged.

“Might as well try.”

Irene grinned, and then screamed at Benjamin to get on his feet in front of his social betters.

The kid’s face was bright red. One of Bartley’s goons was dragging a still-inky page along the floor with a boot, munching a honey-cake as he did so. Benjamin chased after it. The goon pushed it further away. When Benjamin tried to lunge for it, he got a quick kick for his troubles – and slammed headfirst into the oak-paneled wall.

“Poor bejaunus,” Irene said. “All ready to stand up a moment ago, and now it’s on its knees again. Like an old lady. Weak legs, I guess.”

And I could guess exactly how the kid felt, too. I’d had to hand-copy manuscripts for richer students during my younger Clock Tower days. I’d also dealt with my fair share of hazing from older guys. Well, before the whole “won the murder sweepstakes” thing.

“Oi,” I said.

I muttered by own aria. Bartley’s conjured “mask” melted and splashed on the floor.

“What do you want, Velvet?”

Bartley’s glower would have been a wee bit more intimidating if he hadn’t been swaying from alcohol. That, and he saw Catherine behind me.

I ignored him, and helped Benjamin pick up his stuff. The kid glared at Bartley. Just for a second or two, but it was enough to catch Irene’s attention. He’d probably regret it later. I hustled him away as soon as I could. Bartley & Co. glared for a while, but didn’t do much else.

Benjamin toddled off like the good little first-year student that he was. Catherine grabbed me by the ear and dragged me back to my room.

With the excitement over, Bartley and his friends stumbled back into their room to do…well, whatever they were doing. Shouting and cheering lasted until about midnight. The next half hour was taken up with yodeling. (Yes.) One by one, the partygoers staggered out the door, until I overheard Bartley saying his sloppy goodbyes to Irene in the hall around 2:00 A.M.

And Catherine was still editing.

I must’ve drifted off around the time Irene left.

The next thing I remember was that fuzzy, chilled feeling you get when you wake up too early.

Somebody was shaking my shoulder. Hard.

“Mrprhphgrk?” I asked.

“It’s Bartley,” someone said.

I blinked. The blur sharpened enough to see my digital clock’s “3:47 AM” in red letters.

“What about Bartley?” I mumbled.

“He’s dead.”

That
    jolted me awake. I shot out of the chair, and realized that my door was open.

Catherine was standing at the threshold, speaking to a small crowd of people. Her blue silk dress was just the slightest bit rumpled. One hair-bun was askew. Judging by the red indentation on her cheek, she’d been sleeping at her desk.

“Where is he?” I said.

Catherine inclined her head toward Bartley’s room. I took a deep breath and stepped inside. I’d seen death enough in Fuyuki and Alexander’s dream cycle.

Bartley was sprawled across his desk. His eyes bulged as if they wanted to leap out of their sockets, and his face was ashen. Bluish, almost. Bartley’s hands were frozen in the act of clawing at his chest, as if he’d been possessed by something that disagreed with him.

Yup. Dead. Very, very dead.

Relics of Bartley’s Clock Tower politicking were still scattered around him. Fine wines from the Allardyce family. Rare books. Several jars of the fancy marmalade that magi loved giving each other for some reason or other – each tagged with a label in Bartley’s curlicued longhand. Talbot. MacNair. Ua-Niall. The guy even had a bag of gingerbread pretzels.

I took a second look at rare books. Most were textbooks. One wasn’t.

I peeled back its pages with a pencil. The book was vellum, with a red leather cover that had recently been rebound. It was also unreadable. The “letters” – or glyphs, or whatever they were – seemed a little like cuneiform. Lots of stalks and lines. It looked as if somebody had dropped a bunch of sticks on the ground, and then copied the result down in miniature.

The illustrations, though…

They’re hard to describe, since they seemed to shift when you stared at them too long. You know how clouds morph? Like that, only with Renaissance woodcuts. I saw winged men, organs I couldn’t identify, demons with clockwork contraptions growing out of their stomachs, carnivorous flowers, and lots of carefully drawn lines that obviously depicted something, but I couldn’t figure out what.

I’m sure there was more. I just can’t remember it all.

“Huh…”

The others filed in. Catherine was considerate enough to stop them from trampling everything, thanks to throwing her death glare around. Benjamin’s eyes widened into pale blue bowling balls when he saw the body. Irene screamed. I didn’t cover my ears in time to avoid the seeds of a later migraine.

Albert Penbroke’s contribution was a little more helpful.

“No! Not the Argenlek Manuscript!”

I dropped the pencil and backed as far away from the book as I could. While I’d never heard of the Argenlek Manuscript before, even I was bright enough to know that manuscripts with names are usually bad news. Especially when preceded by “No, not the…!”, “AAAAH!”, “Fly, you fools!”, or their functional equivalents.

“I’ll bite,” I said. “What’s the Argenlek Manusc—“

I stopped when I saw Catherine’s disapproving look. Apparently, at least one person in the room thought that I should have known about the book in question. She pushed her glasses up along her nose and sniffed.

Harbin James Argenlek’s so-called manuscript,” she said, “was an incunabulum – note that the glyphs are printed – possibly created before 1522. It allegedly contains formulae for either the first or fourth magic.”

“Allegedly?”

She shrugged.

“Nobody has been able to translate it,” she said. “Prevailing opinion says that it’s a hoax, except –“

“—for the curse,” said Ralston Connor.

Seven heads turned to see Irene’s lukewarm fiancée leaning on the doorframe.

He was smirking, which was unusual for Ralston. The guy usually looked as if a rat had died up his nose. Cloth-of-gold threads woven into his robe glimmered in the lamplight.

…So, a cursed book. And I’d touched it.

Nice.

Ralston strutted toward the body with his hands behind his back.

We must have made a good audience, too, since Ralston gave us the CliffNotes version of five centuries of mysterious deaths with surprising enthusiasm.

No – relish.

According to Ralston, the book had first surfaced in Bohemia in the late sixteenth century. It was probably older than that. Just how much older, nobody knew. The shifting words on some of the illustrations seemed like Latinate Italian (if you squinted just right), and the style of perspective drawing also suggested Italian Renaissance.

The woodcuts looked like dreamscapes executed in black and white. Dragons. Obese nymphs in Roman stolas. Sphyxes. Flower vines that twisted around each other like Celtic knotwork. Not to mention the disembodied arms, swords, skulls, trees with faces, sheaves of wheat, and snake-women holding what looked like thick wheels.

Some said Dee had brought the manuscript to the Continent from his library. Others insisted that De Tepenec had purchased the thing further east. Still others blamed Paracelsus a generation or two earlier.

However it had gotten there, though, Rudolf II had bought the manuscript for his wunderkammer like the rest of his alchemical weirdness.

A fortnight later, seven courtiers had been found stabbed to death in a locked room. Headless children were born in Prague. One of them danced a jig before dropping dead. Rudolf complained that an old woman with four feet was skittering along his ceiling, covered in blood.

And then, decades of silence. Most theories had it that the Burial Agency had confiscated the thing after covering everything up, since a high-ranking member – one Athanasius Kircher – had listed it in his library when he'd died in 1680. More silence had followed.

…Until the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn had been unlucky enough to unearth it in 1897. First generation magi. Jonathan Barnslow Temple had never explained where he’d found the thing. Not that he’d been given much of a chance. They’d found his charred body in a river. Judging from the remains of his bathing trunks, he’d been swimming when…well, whatever it was had happened.

Fortunately for the rest of the membership, even Mathers hadn’t been stupid enough to keep it.

He’d contacted his superior at the Mages’ Association: a moderately important magus named Harbin James Argenlek. The Argenleks had managed to contain the curse, and had held onto the manuscript for over a century. Until somebody had placed an order a few months back.

…which brought us up to Bartley.

I blinked.

“So that’s what you want to tell Lady Barthomeloi when she finds this mess in the morning?” I said. “That a manuscript did it?”

“Cursed manuscript,” said Benjamin.

“Cursed incunabulum,” said Catherine.

Edmund Stanton chose that moment to open the hall doors. He looked kinda bleary-eyed, as you’d expect at four in the morning. He nearly tripped over a spilled glass of spiced wine.

“Hi, everyone,” Edmund said. “Just got back from the library. Why’s everyone standing around the – ooookay, never mind.”

He just stared at his dead roommate for a while.

“Catherine?” I said.

“Yes?”

“Could you do us all a favor and examine the body before we get any more traffic?” I said.

She nodded, and walked over to the desk. Warily, though.

“Why does she get to examine the body?” Irene said.

“Because Catherine’s the best magus we have, spiritual invocation or otherwise. That, and I’m pretty sure she didn’t do it,” I said.

“Well,” Catherine said, “I appreciate the vote of confiden—“

Pretty sure she didn’t do it.”

“…Sit on it, Mr. Velvet.”

While she worked, I took a couple moments to inspect the rest of the room. It was cleaner than I would have expected – not just because Bartley came from a labor-averse culture that still employed “gentleman ushers” to help them at dinner, but also because he’d always seemed like the sort of person who’d be a slob.

Nope. The guy was freakishly neat. Every piece on his chessboard was exactly centered on its square. Every book had Bartley's signature written in precise, looping script in the top-left-inside-cover: “C.D.G. Bartley. Thieves Will Be Punished.” He’d laid out his holland sheets, coverlet, woolen blankets, and pillows with almost military exactitude. The velvet curtains didn’t have dust. At all. He must have either magecrafted it out of existence, or been a genius with a lint roller. Bartley must have even folded what looked like Edmund’s spare parchments before tossing them into the wastebin, judging from the jagged handwriting.

I rifled through three person-sized chests, but couldn’t find anything except clothes and more books. The ink-pot must have fallen when Bartley had died. It lay under the desk, oozing its contents onto the Turkish rug. His coffers had a few ominous-looking gold thingamabobs that I didn’t want to inspect further without an all-clear verdict from Catherine.

Speaking of…

“Catherine? Any thoughts on whether the book did Bartley in?”

Catherine looked up from the body. Her face relaxed slightly as the eyebrows unknitted.

“Possible,” she said. “Bartley’s soul was torn apart. Eviscerated. The sort of damage you’d see from failed high-level spiritual invocation – like summoning a spirit incorrectly, or getting your soul attacked by a wraith, or breaking a geis. You’d need something more elaborate than a wasting curse. And that incunabulum is loaded with centuries’ worth of curses. It’s impossible to pick each one out.”

“So…” I said. “Raise your hand if you’re good at spiritual invocation.”

What do you know? Edmund, Ralston, and Irene. Incidentally, Benjamin’s father was the number three guy in the Spiritual Invocation Division. So much for that.

“Right,” I said. “Let’s try this from another angle. Assuming that the book killed Bartley with some super-death-curse-on-steroids, who brought it here?”

“Bartley did,” said Edmund.

Several “huh’s?” followed. Edmund scratched the back of his head, and shrugged.

“He wanted to translate the thing,” he said.

“Bartley,” I said. “Bartley wanted to translate something. You’re sure we’re talking about the same guy?”

Edmund rolled his eyes.

“Oh, sorry Waver,” he said. “I forgot we’re not all geniuses who write subversive, poorly thought-out papers about first-generation magi pulling off crazy stuff without circuits.”

“Oi,” I said. “If Lord El-Melloi hadn’t torn it up –“

“Because it was crap,” Catherine added.

“—it would have been a milestone in the study of magecraft inheritance. And thanks for the support, Catherine.”

“Don’t mention it.”

“Which brings me back to Edmund,” I said.

“How on Earth does that segue back to Edmund?”

“…Ed, you just said that Bartley bought the book. How do you know?” I said.

“He sent me to pick it up for him whenever I could get around to it,” Edmund said. “Warned me it was coming about a week ago. That rare book shop in the Clock Tower’s basement. Remember?”

I massaged the bridge of my nose.

“So your roommate mysteriously keels over with a cursed book in his room, and you’re saying that you delivered it?” I said.

“Hey, just a minute--!”

“No…wait,” Irene said slowly. “He—he did ask for it. Bartley wanted to be the first man to translate it. I told him he wasn’t much of a scholar, but…”

“Bartley,” we all intoned.

“…Right.”

“What about Benjamin?” somebody else said. “I dunno how he did it, but the guy’s got the invocation pedigree and a grudge.”

We all turned to the kid in question, who looked like he was seriously considering tunneling under the floor.

“Well?” I said.

“Um…I didn’t do it?” he said.

While we all considered this point, Ralston raised another.

“There’s a mark on Bartley’s arm,” he said. “Here – look.”

He was right. It was small, but I saw a red puncture mark on his right arm. I tried to suppress a sigh, and turned to Catherine again.

“Okay, are there any poison-deliverable spiritual invocation curses?” I said.

“Don’t you ever study?” Catherine said.

“Frequently. So that’s a…?”

“Yes,” she said.

“Great.”

Irene was raising her hand. A blush colored her face, and she was knocking her ankles together.

“That’s…um…that’s been there,” she said. “For at least a couple days.”

“How do you know?” Edmund said.

We all stared. Even Ralston rolled his eyes. Irene turned a brighter shade of red, if that was even possible.

“Seriously, Ed?” I said. “No wonder you lost your bid for research funding with Lady Barthemeloi.”

“Oh, ha-ha,” said Edmund.

“Speaking of the elephant in the room…” Catherine said.

Irene paled. She wheeled on Ralston, who was still wearing that smug grin.

“Problem, Irene?” he said.

You,” she said. “You killed Bartley.”

“Nice try, dear, but no,” Ralston said. “Although the bastard had it coming. I’m curious, though – now that it’s out in the open that you’ve been publicly humiliating our respective families by coupling with that brainless sack of—“

“Don’t you dare.”

Irene’s hands had balled into fists. Ralston’s smirk only widened.

“Oh, dear,” he said. “Strike a nerve, did I? So it turns out that my strumpet of a fiancee has feelings for her Lothario after all. Wouldn’t have guessed it from that frigid act you try with me.”

Nobody else spoke. They all wore queasy little smiles. Edmund was biting his lips. Sympathetic class embarrassment. It wasn’t like Clock Tower students to air their dirty laundry -- if there was one thing they usually learned from their parents, it was to keep their affairs quiet. And use birth control, natch. But I guess murder tends to dump this kind of stuff into the open.

Personally, I was just wondering why magi still used words like “strumpet” and “Lothario”.

Irene laughed. It was high-pitched and more off-key than usual. Seemed sober enough, though.

“That’s what you think?” she spat. “You’re more pathetic than I thought. Honestly, Ralston. The idea that I’d be pining away for my dead lover like Helen of Troy or something.”

Catherine frowned.

“Actually,” she said, “Helen seemed pretty level-headed about the whole thing, considering—“

“Bartley meant almost nothing to me,” Irene said. “He just happened to mean the tiniest sliver more than you.”

Ralston’s smile tightened into a thinner line. His voice dropped.

“You just have no sense of decorum, do you, Irene?” he said. “You only had to be a proper wife while our parents arranged everything, but no—“

“Oh, dear,” she said. “Sorry about that, Ralston, but I just don’t fancy being married to a pudgy boy who spends more time slavering over old manuscripts than women. I’ve seen the way you rub your hands all over your rare book collection. And those cadavers you keep for experiments. Eugh! It’s disgusting. At least Bartley was attracted to living, human females.”

If Irene had been blushing before, Ralston’s face was blood red. He recovered more quickly than I expected, though.

“Oh, Bartley was attracted to lots of 'human females',” Ralston said.

He’d caught Irene pre-rant. Her mouth hung open for a second.

“Wh-what?”

“You didn’t think you were the only one, did you?” Ralston said. “Bartley had others. Better ones. Mayhew heard him bragging about it over dinner—“

“He did not!”

Ralston’s smirk had returned, with a vengeance. I just kinda sat back, wondering if I should be taking notes.

“I’ll bet you knew about them, too,” Ralston said. “Funny how you’re quick to accuse me of the jealous husband act when Bartley was cheating on you with half the Clock Towe—“

Irene slapped him. Ralston actually hissed in pain, nursing his cheek.

“Don’t you dare try to pin this on me!” Irene shrieked. “Who knows more about rare manuscripts than any five people in this room? Huh? I know about you and Wilfrid Argenlek, with your little bibliomaniac meetings in the winecellars.”

“Bibliophile. Bibliomania is a disease—“

“I know what I said. Maybe Wilfrid let something slip? Or did you get him to con Bartley into buying that manuscript somehow--"

"Incunabulum," said Catherine.

"--since it would be just like you to let somebody else do your dirty work with curses while you sat back like a sneak-thief," Irene continued. "Oh, I can just picture it! Laughing about how you’d kill some illiterate cretin off with a book. Ha-ha.”

“You know, when you put it like that, it is somewhat funny…” Ralston said.

She slapped him again.

“Give me one reason why we shouldn’t take you off to Lady Barthomeloi right now,” she said.

Ralston’s cheek had already been sporting the beginnings of a nice bruise. Irene’s second slap had caught Ralston trying to duck, and had landed on his meticulously combed, receding hairline. He rubbed that, too.

“Any other bibliophiles, -maniacs, or grimoire enthusiasts here?” I said, glancing at Catherine.

Catherine rolled her eyes.

“What do you want to know?” she said.

“Isn’t there any kind of security when important families trade books?” I said. “I mean, if these things can kill you—“

“Correct,” Catherine said. “They would have set up containment rings before the purchase. The seller creates a new one each time the book is transferred, keyed to the buyer’s blood. It shuts down most accumulated curses. Something like the Argenlek Manuscript could have centuries of them, depending on its missing provenance. Still a risk, though.”

“Could Wilfrid have sneaked another curse in?”

“Possible. Then again, the Argenleks trade on their reputation as rare book dealers. Customer deaths would destroy their reputation, and…huh…”

“What?”

Wilfrid probably couldn’t have done it.”

“Why not?”

“The household head handles those matters. The book would have been heavily sealed. Wilfrid’s still a student at the Clock Tower, and he’s not even important by that family’s standards. He never would have received access.”

Ralston Connor was still glaring up at his fiancée.

“Clever how she pushed suspicion away from herself, isn’t it?” he said. “She’s been in Bartley’s room every night for weeks. Who knows what she could have hidden in it?”

“We did check,” Catherine said.

“Not very thoroughly,” Ralston said.

That was true enough, so Catherine didn’t reply. Ralston turned on Irene again.

“Wait until Lady Barthomeloi gets here,” he said. “Her enforcers’ll find what you’ve hidden. You know, Irene…it’ll almost be worth the shame to our families when I watch you squirm in front of a full inquisitorial hearing—“

“I didn’t hide anything,” Irene said. “I know it’s hard to believe, but we were pretty busy during those visits.”

I could almost hear Ralston Connor’s teeth grinding. He was game, though.

“Really? I suppose it’s just totally irrelevant that you’re a spiritual invocation expert,” he said. “Which, come to think of it, is the only reason my family agreed to let you ooze your way into our bloodline in the first place. I wonder what you summoned to kill Bartley. Maybe you slipped one of those wraith-infused coins into his trinket box.”

“Maybe I’ll slip one into yours,” Irene said sweetly. “Can’t pollute a bloodline that’s already died out.”

“Or…I wonder,” Ralston said. “From what I hear about your – how does one put it? – exercise, should I conclude that you killed him with tantric magic?”

“Too much prep time,” she said. “It takes a special occasion to set that sort of thing up. Like a wedding night, for instance.”

“That threat cuts both ways, dear.”

“You couldn’t even pull off non-magical sex, sweetkin.”

They traded a few more rage-filled glances. Unfortunately, they also stopped talking.

Well, the information bonanza seemed to have dried up. Both were still breathing heavily – thrill of battle, I guess – but as time passed, Irene and Ralston seemed to notice the crowd of goggling onlookers. And avoided eye contact from that point forward.

“Somebody should get Lady Barthomeloi,” said Benjamin.

“Wait,” Catherine said.

She turned to me.

“Well, Waver?” she said. “You’ve kept us up trying to solve this thing. If this has been a waste of time, then I’m going to be very irritated.”

Catherine stood with her arms crossed over her chest, tapping her foot. The blue dress billowed in suitably dramatic fashion from a stray breeze. The window was open a crack.

“Now this,” I said, “is a two-pipe problem.”

“You don’t smoke,” Catherine said.

“I’m considering taking it up.”

One by one, I considered the facts.

The book, with its creepy translation. Irene’s nightly liaisons. The layers of curses attached to the vellum. People who’d had a motive to off Bartley (everyone). Methods of—

Oh.

Oooooooh.

“Okay,” I said. “I think I know who did it. Somebody hand me the Argenlek Manuscript.”

“But the curse—“

I waggled my hand in a “gimme” motion until Benjamin nudged it a couple inches toward me with a pencil. With a little bit of effort, avoided rolling my eyes. Picked it up. Grabbed the vellum cover.

And then, I tore the cover off.

It revealed worm-eaten parchment, covering woodblocks, with rips and gouges from generations of accumulated abuse.

It also revealed an inscription in a sharp, scrawling hand.

I, undersigned, do avow and affirm that I shall unravel the Argenlek Manuscript’s secrets within two days, at the peril of my soul.

The ink was fresh. Tiny bits of it still stuck to the cover I’d removed.

Irene gasped.

“What on earth--?” Catherine said.

“Congrats, Edmund,” I said. “You almost pulled it off.”

Edmund jerked away, eyes wide. More gasps all around.

“That’s—That’s ridiculous! Why would I—“

“Patronage,” I said. “Technically, denied patronage. You tried to get research funding recently. Every Clock Tower researcher’s dream. You’d expected Bartley’s family’s support after years of kissing up to him.”

Edmund’s eyes roved to each of the room’s occupants in turn. Pleading, almost.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Velvet.”

I dropped the book with a thud. Everyone flinched.

“I think you do,” I said. “Bartley had connections. We all knew it. That’s why you spent so long cozying up to the guy. Nobody else would have tolerated half the crap you did. And at the end of it…no support at all.”

“I—Not that I’m admitting anything, but we all did that—“

“Yeah, that’s true,” I said. “But most of us didn’t have access to the Argenlek Manuscript, did we? Not too many of us even knew about the book.”

“It was cursed before Bartley got it!” he said. “You can’t pin that on me! Everybody knows that the Argenlek Manuscript’s been killing people forever.”

“Yeah, the book was cursed,” I said. “Obviously. But most of those curses probably weren’t targeting Bartley, and according to Ralston’s account, most of them only killed non-magi or amateurs. Right, Ralston?”

He nodded.

“Correct.”

“All those curses’ auras covered up the only curse that did matter,” I said. “The inscription.”

Edmund raised an eyebrow.

What ‘inscription’?” he said. “It’s just a silly, wishful promise to translate--”

“It’s a geis contract,” I said.

Several students’ hands brushed absentmindedly near their hearts – a empathic reaction. Irene moaned. Geis contracts are an incredibly painful way to die. Imagine giving birth through your chest.

“Somebody rebound the manuscript,” I said. “New leather. So I asked myself: who would have had access?”

“Irene did!” Edmund said. "And why should the binding matter?"

I nodded.

“True,” I said. “But Bartley would have noticed if a new cover had appeared on his book. Besides, Irene didn’t have much of a time window between her nightly gymnastics with Bartley and—“

“Hey!” said Irene.

Catherine glared right back at Irene.

“You kept us awake for the last couple weeks until three in the morning,” Catherine said. “If the shoe fits…”

“…Right,” I said. “Anyway, you had much better access to the book, since you picked it up for Bartley. You planned to modify it before Bartley ever saw it. He never noticed that the cover was a little new, because, well…yeah.”

Catherine’s own eyes widened a fraction. Her head snapped from me to the desk.

“The needle mark!” she said. “Edmund needed Bartley’s blood for the ink. He must have knocked him out somehow – or kept Bartley asleep while he drew it – and then put some in the inkpot before picking up the manuscript.”

“Or just waited until Bartley was smashed from his nightly dose of partying before drawing it,” I said.

“Or that,” Catherine said.

…But Edmund had cocked his head to the side, smiling at me.

“As expected, Velvet,” he said. “You missed one teensy detail. Figures, since you suck at spiritual invocation.”

“Did I?”

He pointed at the signature.

“That’s Bartley’s handwriting,” he said. “Not mine. Forget all the other bullshit – Bartley would have needed to sign the thing himself. Great job, Velvet. You’ve just proved suicide.”

Those eyes were glittering. Triumphant. For some reason, I caught myself suppressing a shudder.

“…Not quite,” I said. “Bartley signs all of his books, since he’s apparently really paranoid about somebody stealing them. I first noticed when I came in. But you must have known for a while, being his roommate and all.”

“That’s not—“

“All you had to do was write your little geis pledge, hide it under a new cover, and wait for Bartley to sign his own death warrant,” I said. “And the geis pledge isn’t Bartley’s handwriting, Ed. Too jagged. Kinda like yours. Not a smooth, looping curve--”

FWOOSH!

No warning whatsoever.

The room blazed white-hot. A wave of heat washed toward me. Stifling. Edmund had made his move -- a thousand degrees of unpleasantness rocketing toward my face.

SSSSHHHSSH!

And something stopped it. Something frozen. Concentric walls of ice. And at their center, Catherine stood with a look of murder in her cold, blue eyes.

In a flash of irrelevant inspiration, it occurred to me that Edmund must have been chanting a ten-count aria under his breath.

The fire battered against Catherine’s ice wall. Each time, steam hissed.

Edmund was sweating. Gasping. Fire lashed the ice once more.

Catherine barely flinched. Her face remained a mask as she fingered the topaz choker around her neck. With each assault, the fire weakened. Sputtered.

Faded.

By the time Catherine knocked Edmund out of his wheezing, exhausted misery with a reinforced fist, it was almost a formality.

I just lay there awhile on my back, choking on soot and nursing the world's worst sunburn.

Lady Barthomeloi’s enforcers arrived eventually.

Catherine’s testimony did most of the work, thanks to that obsession with status that magi had. A couple lower-ranked enforcers listened to my evidence all the same, for politeness’s sake.

It was seven o’clock before they all left. I tried to blink the blur out of my eyes. The blur didn’t cooperate. Everyone else looked pretty squirrely as well.

“Welp,” I said, “I’ve got a splitting headache, and I’m going to bed. If you guys plan on murdering anybody else before noon, do it without me.”

I turned. Paused. Wheeled back around.

“Also…Ralston? Irene?”

Ralston froze – probably wondering if I’d figured out some other creepy thing he’d been up to recently. Irene just stuck out her chin and gave a queenly, “What?”

“The marriage thing? Skip it.”

Ralston snorted. Irene’s eyes just narrowed.

“As if you’d know anything about marriages between ancient lines of—“

“Not. Worth. It,” I said. “I was at Heaven’s Feel, remember? Ninety percent of the misery in that crapshow came from…well, maybe half. A good, solid third of the misery in that crapshow came from stuff like this.”

They didn’t even respond. Just stood there glaring at me.

“Or not,” I said. “Hey, your funeral. Just don’t blame me when she leaves you for a heroic spirit, and you strangle her to death in a church with bugs crawling all over you.”

“...Huh?” said Ralston.

“Never mind. Makes more sense in context.”

I staggered back to my room. A chorus of “g’nights” followed, until I shut the door. And flopped.

Sweet, wonderful bed.

Downy.

Soft.

So very soffffft--

“Waver?”

Trying to restrain the urge to grumble, I looked up from the pillow I’d squashed against my face.

“Mhmph?”

“You know, I haven’t seen you like this before,” Catherine said.

“Like what?” I said.

Catherine shrugged, and then sank into a chair. All pretense of rigidity evaporated.

“…Happy, I suppose,” she said. “Well, aside from the part where you nearly got murdered. You haven’t really smiled since you came back from Heaven’s Feel.”

“Since I lost Alex,” I said.

Her nucleus of a smile evaporated.

Stole Alexander the Great from Uncle Kayneth, more like it,” she said.

“It was worth it,” I said. “A thousand times over.”

And it had been, too. If another Heaven’s Feel had started the next day, I would have been on an overnight plane to Fuyuki, Megas Alexandros’s mantle in hand. Never mind the deaths. Never mind that Alex wouldn’t recognize me. I’d walked in Bucephalus’s hoofprints across the sands of Parthia, and seen Alexander urging his men forward, caked in dust until his red hair looked brown. I’d watched him staring into the distance. Seen him in search of the Ocean at the World’s End.

Nothing else would have mattered.

Catherine started to say something, but let her mouth close instead. She shrugged.

“I’ll let it go in honor of the holiday season,” she said.

“What do you mean holiday—oh,” I said. “Huh. Almost forgot it was Christmas Eve.”

Catherine stared out the window. Snowflakes swirled against the windowpanes, melting into glassy nodules when they touched her reflection. She smiled.

“Any hints about what you’re getting me?” she said.

I raised an eyebrow. It seemed unlikely that she’d found out about the coal yet, but one could never be sure.

“What makes you think I got you something?”

Catherine’s arms crossed behind her back. She swayed, first to her tip-toes, and then to her heels.

“It would only be fair,” she said. “Since I’ve already picked out your gift.”

“That’s…um, uncharacteristically generous, actually—“

“It’s a rare book.”

Postpartum [If Kirei had been female...]

Spoiler:

Postpartum [Kirei genderswapped]

I see your father when I look at you, Caren. You have the same eyes – large and golden, like a kitten’s.

He was a good man, your father. Pious. Meek. And very much in love with me. He had this little gesture where he twined his fingers around the cross on his neck just so, and smiled up at me. Vaguely apologetic. I want help you, Miss Kotomine. To fill that emptiness in your heart. Your father was always so dramatic.

And I’d married him, because I’d believed it as much as he had.

The child was supposed to do it, if all else failed. You were my ticket to salvation. Something that I could adore with that perfect, perfect love that mothers are supposed to feel. To show off to Risei, your grandfather. Your father said as much on his deathbed. Clasped my hand and assured me that it would be different from now on. I looked into those amber eyes until they went dim, and felt…nothing.

No.

I’ve lied to you just now. Please believe me when I say that it was accidental. You know my distaste for lying.

I felt regret that I hadn’t throttled him. That I could never see those amber eyes widen as I drove the Black Keys into his throat, or hear him choke on his own punctured lungs. He was gone. Your father was gone. I felt nauseous. I wanted nothing more than to retch until the bile came out red. Morning sickness, perhaps.

Most of all, I felt fear. He was a good man, your father. But he was rarely right.

I saw your father’s eyes again seven months later, when I held you in the delivery room. The same eyes. They were as I’ve already described them – large and golden, like a kitten’s.

How the delivery room attendants cooed over you. Smiled. Congratulated me. I was a mother now. Huh.

But I saw something in you then that I’d never seen in your father. You shivered, Caren, in that unfamiliar cold. So, so vulnerable. So far beyond your father’s practiced humility. Crying. Clutching at me. So eager to be loved.

Intimate. Everything suddenly made sense when I looked down at you. And what a revelation it was. A severed part of me, crying out for comfort. I soon figured out how to hold you just awkwardly enough to make you cry more loudly.

Your father’s parishioners made a fuss, of course – mixed blessings and condolences for the deacon’s widow and her beautiful new daughter. And you were so very beautiful, Caren. You still are. Always. Even with that mask you wear now at every disappointment, every slight, every sliver of love that I deny you, I can still taste the pain underneath. My little girl.

That night, I slept more peacefully than I’d slept in years. Your father’s parishioners had given you so much. Formula milk. Toys. Clothes. A crib. So considerate.

But it was the baby monitor that I treasured the most. I heard you bawling in that empty room on the second floor. It surprised me – not the sound, but the effect it had on me. A twinge somewhere. They say there’s nothing like hearing it from your own child. Savoring it.

But you don’t cry anymore, do you, Caren? Too grown-up these days, I suppose, to fill your mother’s emptiness. To sing me to sleep with that loud, sharp lullaby.

We should stay in closer touch, you and I.

Detour From Shin Tokyo [Sekirei #08, Yume, encounters Kariya Matou]

Spoiler:
    Detour From Shin-Tokyo [Kariya encounters Sekirei #08, Yume]

Kariya Matou’s eyebrow twitched. This was admittedly due to nerve damage, but Kariya thought it suited the situation well enough that he didn’t complain.

A “woman” in a black cloak, miniskirt, and bob cut had just kissed him. Not just a little peck, either. No, we’re talking full esophageal excavation. And then, she’d proceeded to grow wings of light from her back.

The female kept staring up at him, wide eyed and grinning. Her hands were clasped in front of her. Like a lobotomized Moonie with an ahoge.

“So you’re…”

“A Sekirei,” she said. “Number Zero-Eight, Yume. The Sekirei of Fate.”

It was the third time she’d repeated herself. Kariya thought he heard an air of patient indulgence in her voice, like a teacher with a slow student.

“And you're saying that the kiss was a mating ritual.”

The ahoge bobbed enthusiastically. More grinning.

“Yep!”

“That’s, um--”

Forever, and ever, and ever, and ever, and ever. and ever…

Kariya held up a hand. Worms wriggled under the skin. Squirmed. He felt them tightening around his internal organs.

“Yeah, yeah,” he said. “Look. Aside from the fact that I’m in a magical tournament here—“

Yume clapped her fingerless gloves together. The sound echoed down the dank alley. Kariya noted that her smile had turned slightly predatory.

“Oh, my! That sounds fascinating, Mr. Matou! Who are we fighting?”

“We’re not fighting – Ugh,” Kariya said. “Look. You seem like a nice enough…whatever you are. Bonkers, but nice. In case you haven’t noticed, I’m infested by mystical death worms, so I’m not exactly ‘mate’ material right now. Know what I mean?”

“I unconditionally support all of my Ashikabi’s hobbies, no matter how strange.”

“That’s not exactly what I meant--”

“As for me, I’m a sucker for long walks on the beach, unrequited love, and sacrificing my life for children when they’re in danger.”

“Um…” Kariya said.

Yume looked up at Kariya with glistening eyes, pushing her fingers together.

“Can we…maybe…um, d-do one those things s-sometime, Ashikabi-sama?” Yume said.

Kariya’s eyebrow twitched again. For the first time in decades, Kariya wondered whether maybe – just maybe – the universe had decided to throw him a bone.

Still…

“Uh, Yume?”

She stiffened, as if he’d called her to attention.

“Yes, Ashikabi-sama!”

Kariya scratched the back of his head. Or at least, he moved his hand to the proper spot and waited for spasms to do the work.

“This isn’t exactly a game, Yume,” he said. “It’s nice that you want to help me and all. Really. But this stuff's actually pretty dangerous, and—“

“I can level buildings with energy blasts from my hands.”

A few seconds of silence followed.

“…and welcome to Heaven’s Feel,” Kariya finished.
    Last edited by Zalgo Jenkins; June 25th, 2013 at 02:22 PM.

God have mercy on my rolls... Servant Shiki's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Noir
    I loved The Best Laid Plans, I would have loved to see more of it.
    Lancer x Archer OTP
    Spoiler:

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Servant Shiki View Post
    I loved Gil molesting Rin, I would have loved to see more of it.
    Very fixed.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Gil and Rin OTP....

Also Kirei and Minaka.... Yes!

I also have a crappy fanfiction.net profile. Oh, the shame of it all.

"Magic Girls, no matter how frilly their dresses, high their screams, or incompetent their sidekicks, will be treated as the credible and dire threats they are, and I will direct as many, if not more resources to their destruction as I would for a more classical Hero."
    - Evil Empress Guide # 52

Quote Originally Posted by biigoh View Post
    Also Kirei and Minaka.... Yes!
    Hm...

Minaka uses his wealth, influence, and connections to become the seventh master in Fate/Zero. He summons Counter Guardian Kirei.

Madness ensues.

Best-Laid Plans was hilarious. But wouldn't Zouken hate a live bait sale? I mean, he is live bait.
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Best-Laid Plans was hilarious. But wouldn't Zouken hate a live bait sale? I mean, he is live bait.
    It's not often you find new friends and food in the same place.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Well I guess not even Zalgo can pull off the miracle of writing a Gilko I don't absolutely hate.
    Moving on. Minaka and Kirei were hilarious. That "Mad Enhancement" line tickled me.

Also: Girl Kirei. It creeps me out. Also makes me wanna call child services. I feel bad for Caren.
    Last edited by Kyte; June 24th, 2013 at 04:30 PM.

Do you feel like a hero yet? Soldat der Trauer's Avatar
    A world that never was, a dream that might yet be.
    I'll admit, Postpartum's perspective was not at all what I expected for a genderswapped Kirei. Kinda the opposite in fact. (No nun x ill guy, boo ;__

But that did nothing to subtract from the entertainment factor. Very twisted.
    Let the victor...be justice.

Metal Gear's conception of cyborgs has now convinced me that the real reason there were no more Holy Grail Wars is because Servants became obsolete in the near future, and that past humans and their superiority can just bend over and take it from modern technology.
    @Bloble: You shut the hell up, you're like in every RP on the page, you MIRACULOUSLY LUCKY whore-monger. You not getting in is like me winning the lottery in two states, obtaining a girlfriend, and not ending up nursing another migraine, simultaneously, by the end of this evening.