Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitness Thread

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    No, I definitely understand that. It's why I can never do cardio by jogging. If I'm not actually doing something it's just too much for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nununu View Post
    Is it weird that I find boredom the more draining part of the workout? Sure, it's no problem with the ones where you keep count, but cardio.
    This

So much this. The only way I can do cardio for hours is by forcing myself. Lately I've switched to running for ~five to ten minutes whenever I can, just so I can justify to myself that I'm working harder so I can shorten the headache I get from long periods of jogging.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, long periods of jogging like that is actually really bad for your knees. If you want to do long cardio swimming is really the route you want to go. It's a full body workout but you never put that much pressure on your joints like you will with running.

Blog Entries
    Haha, physical Education teachers over here don't care.

>Every male citizen is being prepared for compulsory military service
    >in military service you have to jog for long periods of time
    >therefore you must get used to it

Also if you ever suggested possible long term joint injury as a reason not to do long hours of cardio to teachers/people in charge/peers you'd get laughed away. Practically nobody knows or gives a fuck about joint health around here.
    Last edited by Apple; May 11th, 2012 at 03:03 AM.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    While that may be true, Servicemen especially have notoriously fucked up joints. You're not supposed to carry that much on your back for that long while running. That's just not how it works.

Blog Entries
    You have no idea. The number of people I've seen go into National Service and come out with long term spine/joint injuries is staggering, considering these are supposed to be the same people who are going to be defending the country.

Which leads me to wonder why the hell nobody does anything about it... and then I realize it's probably mass ignorance and stubbornness.
    Last edited by Apple; May 11th, 2012 at 03:11 AM.

If I'm With You, Surely Paradise Exists! Froggie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    What

How fast do you jog bro, I go on the treadmill and rack up 100 calories lost in around 10-12 minutes without even hitting 2.4 km. Either the counter on the machine I use is broken or something else is dreadfully wrong somewhere lolololol.
    I dunno? I just get on the thingamajig and go at it until whatever I'm watching is over. For example, this morning it came out to: Time=24:12, Dist=6.72 and Cal=100.8

If it's right or not, I wouldn't know. I just read what the little screen says

Anyhow, since there haven't been any shouts of horror from what I listed, I assume it means I'm not gonna seriously harm or kill myself, so I'll stick to it.

Can anybody recommend any good alternatives for a Lateral Raise? I can't really do them with the 20lb dumbbells I have lying around so I'm thinking of trying out something different instead of getting lighter dumbbells >,>

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    The raise is really good for developing your shoulders/neck, but yeah, 20 lbs is a bit much for when you're just starting. Something you might want to start with are shrugs with those 20 lbers. Shrugs are much easier but don't have as much of an impact. However it's a great place to start building both your shoulders and your neck.

Blog Entries
    Ok, grease the groove seems to have worked done something. Currently have triceps DOMS, no idea if I should continue or stop for a temporary break today.
    Last edited by Apple; May 12th, 2012 at 03:50 AM.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Worst part about ending with a bridge is that all your muscles are already worn out, so it's hard to do it for long.

Blog Entries
    Ending with a bridge? Whassat?

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    I swear, that looks dangerous. Like, you'd break your neck if you weren't paying attention level of dangerous.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    I actually had a scare with it on my birthday. I was trying to "upgrade to the next level" so to speak and, while my nose was to the mat, lifted my arms up and crossed them over my chest. Well, my neck slipped while I did it. Surprisingly, there was no pain. It really is good for your neck and so long as you do it right will do nothing but help your neck, back, legs, and core.

Blog Entries
    Think I did something wrong with the Decline Bench Press today.

Right arm hurts. Ow.

Maybe it's time to give Pushups another whirl... Or maybe I should hold off on those 30lb dumbbells and downgrade to the 20lb ones for a while >,>

Anyhow, the Shrugs were a good suggestion. Definitely easier than a Lat Raise.

I guess it's time I figure out a more structured work out rather than "throw everything I can think of into an hour every morning"...

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Structure is a very good thing. If you're in pain, give yourself a day or two of rest. Even though working out every day is generally a good idea, if you don't give your body time to really recover all you'll do is hurt yourself. Anyway, if you need help putting together a plan let me know and I'll be happy to help. I've gone through a bunch of different ones so I know the basics of what makes a plan good.

Blog Entries
    I realized I never posted my ultimate fitness goal, so here you go:

Dat serratus, so manly!

Blog Entries
    My goal was given to me by Velspar

"Froggie, you should work out until you can bench press Fishie."

I think that sounds like a worthwhile goal.

Also, I'll take you up on that offer, Kenta.

Blog Entries
    Fun piece of info: I just found out that at my current height/weight ratio (167 cm, 65 kg) I'm actually borderline overweight by BMI (Asian standards).

Need to lose approx 1.2 kilos to get back in the green. Teach me to lose the kilos, people. (looking at you, KENTA, you fitness expert you)
    Last edited by Apple; May 17th, 2012 at 09:17 AM.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    You wanna lose weight? Change your diet first off. That's honestly the most important part. After that try HIIT. HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training. It's an absolute fat blaster and a hell of a workout. Here's a sample of how to do it using a normal 10 minute jog.

0:00 - 1:00 Light jog/Brisk Walk
    1:00 - 2:00 Sprint as fast as you possibly can
    2:00 - 3:00 Light jog/Brisk Walk

Stay with that pattern until your time is up. You could also do it in 30 second intervals, 2 minute intervals, whatever. The main thing is that you're walking as much as you're sprinting. It's an absolute monster of a cardio workout, but it'll get the job done. That being said, BMI is absolutely stupid. BMI says I am normal weight, but at 6'1 145 pounds I am severely underweight, and my body fat % is dangerously low(somewhere around 4/5%). So yeah, don't trust BMI.
    Last edited by KENTA; May 17th, 2012 at 09:24 AM.