Page 1 of 33 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitness Thread

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries

Fitness Thread

Pretty simple thread for those BLers who work out. Talk about your routine, your diet, your reason for getting into better shape, trade stories and tips, that sort of thing.

I just got done with my daily workout. It's the Matt Furey workout with a little added in. You do as many hindu squats as you can as fast as you can for as long as you can, then you do the same thing with Hindu Pushups(worst part of the workout) then you do the same thing with the Wrestlers Bridge. I added in a plank for as long as you can between the pushups and the bridge. Gives your legs a little more time to cool off from the squats and really hits your core hard. It's a tough one, but damn does it feel satisfying. Also works quite well.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Used to do Starting Strength.

Easy stuff. Very fun. Lots of progress with the lifted weights. Almost no visible progress.

As for the diet I just went with the usual bulking advice of "eat as much as you can all day erryday", and one shake in the mornings and one post-training.
    I'd guess my main problem keeping me from really bulking up was my vegeterian diet, you really have to take care to get your fill of proteins and calories per day.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    I'm doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 right now, and I'll probably keep it up until at least the end of the year. I like it because it's simple, and my school gym is the sort of run down hole in the wall where simple is really your only option. The hardest part is getting proper nutrition, though. I was doing fine in America, but food in Japan is more expensive, comes in smaller portions, and has the added difficulty of me not really knowing what anything is.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I'm doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 right now, and I'll probably keep it up until at least the end of the year. I like it because it's simple, and my school gym is the sort of run down hole in the wall where simple is really your only option. The hardest part is getting proper nutrition, though. I was doing fine in America, but food in Japan is more expensive, comes in smaller portions, and has the added difficulty of me not really knowing what anything is.
    I wasn't a fan of 5/3/1 because my starting strength is so low that my max always seems wrong. That and I could never do a proper squat with weight on. It just hurt way too much. My form wasn't that bad for a beginner, but it just really hurt to go down far enough. As for eating in Japan, once you figure out what everything is you should actually be OK. The food over there is pretty nutritious and really good for bulking up if that's your goal.

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Used to do Starting Strength.

Easy stuff. Very fun. Lots of progress with the lifted weights. Almost no visible progress.

As for the diet I just went with the usual bulking advice of "eat as much as you can all day erryday", and one shake in the mornings and one post-training.
    I'd guess my main problem keeping me from really bulking up was my vegeterian diet, you really have to take care to get your fill of proteins and calories per day.
    Yeah, with a Vegetarian diet you really have to down those nasty ass protein shakes.

Blog Entries
    Oh, I quite liked the taste, problem is that they are not really healthy and I had light acne that only got worse with those, lol.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    You actually liked drinking protein shakes? Wow.....teach me your ways master.

Blog Entries
    Buy non-shitty ones? I can't recommend you the ones I drunk since those are the house brand of a German fitness shop.

Blog Entries
    hes not drinking disgusting slop/hes drinking the overly sugary flavored ones?

EDIT
    beat me to it mehn =3=

also

uggghhhh
    this thread
    reminds me i get to start back up on my routine again =_=
    yay =_=

IBooBies

Quote Originally Posted by Techlology View Post
    Well, my dick just went Beast Mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    Evangelion 3.33, Your Boner Can (Not) Rise

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    I've tried a bunch of different ones, and the Whey protein ones I just can't drink at all. I did find one that I actively enjoyed consuming, but that was Caseine based. Much slower activating, not quite as good results.

Micellar Cream for those wondering. Mix it with a little milk, put it in the fridge for an hour, and you've got a really good pudding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KENTA View Post
    I wasn't a fan of 5/3/1 because my starting strength is so low that my max always seems wrong. That and I could never do a proper squat with weight on. It just hurt way too much. My form wasn't that bad for a beginner, but it just really hurt to go down far enough. As for eating in Japan, once you figure out what everything is you should actually be OK. The food over there is pretty nutritious and really good for bulking up if that's your goal.
    Haha, well, my strength is exactly stunning either, and my maxes are pathetic. But they're accurate, at least, which means that all the weights feel right and I'm seeing pretty steady progression, so I'm happy with it. The last month of spending entire days holed up in my room and pulling way too many all-nighters trying to juggle courseloads from two schools probably wasn't doing my diet/recovery any favors, either, but thank god that's over now.

Quote Originally Posted by KENTA View Post
    You actually liked drinking protein shakes? Wow.....teach me your ways master.
    I actually like the taste of ON's double chocolate whey if it's in milk, and it's even palatable in water. But I might be a bit "off" there since I've gone through an entire case of obviously rancid pre-made myoplex shakes before and didn't really mind it, lol.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    I think a big part of the reason I can't drink protein shakes is because I don't like chocolate, and pretty much every company strives to make their stuff taste like chocolate.

Blog Entries
    Hahahaha, yeah, that could definitely be a problem. Since whey is basically divided into two flavors: "chocolate" and "vile, chemical shit".

Well, I'm lying since I like a lot of them. But chocolate seems to have the most staying power for whatever reason, all the other flavors I get tired of half a month in.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    I've actually discovered that Syntrax, the guys who make the caseine blend I like so much, make a couple different Whey blends that might not actually taste like that. If I had the money I'd toss down on it.

If I'm With You, Surely Paradise Exists! Froggie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh, neat. I'm not much of an expert on this subject, so maybe I can get some tips I'll make a post detailing what I do when I get back home from work. Not enough time to really sit down and think that through right now.

Motivation though, that's easy.

For the past 8 years or so I've managed to stay at 120lbs without any real effort. However, between last year and this year, I noticed my weight was going up slightly. February I weighed in at 125lb.

I thought to myself: "Well, if I'm going to get heavier, it might as well be from getting healthier." So I started doing cardio and messing around with the old dumbbells we had lying around.

I'm at 130lbs now, but actually looking much slimmer than before. Feels nice.

If I'm With You, Surely Paradise Exists! Froggie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Okay, I do a bit of work out every day in the mornings and at night, though lately I've been so exhausted form work that I tend to skip out on the nightly one most days and head to bed instead.

I start off each session with some time on the elliptical trainer, usually while watching an episode of some anime or another. This is usually 22 to 24minutes or so of cardio as well as somewhere between 6 to 8 km distance and 90 to 100 calories burned.

Normally, I'd follow this with as many Push-ups as I could, but lately I've been feeling lazy and skip those. That would usually come out to somewhere between 20 and 30 pushups.

Usually I'll follow up with 4x10 Shoulder Presses. Sometimes I'll do these sitting, other times I'll do them standing. Don't really know if there's any difference.

Next is 4x10 Decline Bench Presses.

At this point I usually do whatever. Normally I do one of 4x10 Wrist Curls, 4x10 Curls, or 4x10 Rear Delt Rows.

By now I'm pretty tired so I'll start to wrap things up with a few Squats (2x10 or 3x10) or sometimes Standing Calf Raise, again 2x10 or 3x10 depending on how tired I am.

I finish up with Incline Sit Ups. I usually try to go up to 100, but I normally stop at 75 cause I'm too wasted at that point >,>

And that's my routine every morning and every night. Well, mostly mornings as of late. As I've said, I've been too tired to do it at night as of late.

Most of these are done with 25lb or 20lb dumbbells, though I think I'll be moving up to 30lbs as soon as I have some spare cash lying around...

Blog Entries
    Cool, a fitness thread. Guess I could get a post going.

Around Thanksgiving of 2010 I weighed myself on a whim, realizing I weighed 250lbs (113kg) I decided to stop being fat. I started with the most torturous diet I could conceive so that I would gain some mental fortitude, I ate literally nothing but peanuts and cheese for about a month, and drank nothing but water. It helped that at the time my family's financial situation wasn't so great, so my mom was like "oh, you mean you don't want me to buy all sorts of expensive foods and drinks for you? Okay!". After a month I lost close to 15lbs, but tiring of that rather pathetic and unfulfilling diet I switched to something more normal. I pretty much cut all fried foods (this is torture), ate no fast food (this felt like heaven), and switched to eating mostly fish, chicken, and steak, as well as regular vegetables and lots and lots of chili peppers.

Then in the middle of December, when the power went out for some reason I can't remember at around 3am, I decided "eh, not tired enough to sleep, too bored to just sit here" and went out and jogged. I ended up going two miles total, and was utterly exhausted because of how out of shape I was. But I did get a runner's high, my first one in years, so after that I took up jogging every other night between 1 and 4am.

I pretty much stuck to that diet and that exercise, and about two weeks ago I weighed in at 197lbs (90kg) when I went to the clinic, and at 6'5" (198cm) tall I don't look too bad. I used to do pushups on and off when I played WoW (a set amount after every single boss attempt, be it a successful kill or a wipe, IIRC it was like 15? I had some others in my guild who did it with me, lol), and just recently I've begun doing pullups. I did seven my first night, and that made my arms feel like they were dead, but I can feel slight improvement. My arms hurt less from doing the pullups, and I can do a few more before I have to take a second to recuperate.

I'm mostly working on tightening up loose skin now, but I'm sure even if I did nothing for a few years it would eventually tighten up on its own. Though I do still have some fat around my thighs and my stomach area. Anyone have any suggestions for how to shave that off?
    Last edited by Spinach; May 10th, 2012 at 07:55 PM.

NZXT
    30 push-ups, sit-ups and squats a day.
    Considering getting a set of weights. I'm too self conscious to jog.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Though I do still have some fat around my thighs and my stomach area. Anyone have any suggestions for how to shave that off?
    Can't spot-reduce. Only way to lose fat is to lose fat everywhere, and hope that your body's preferences in fat storage locations doesn't make you look too ridiculous in the meantime.
    Last edited by Mcjon01; May 11th, 2012 at 01:26 AM.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Mcjon's got the right idea. You just need to keep working on reducing fat and hope it goes well. In the meantime, make sure you're working out your entire body. Running is really good, as are the pullups/pushups, but you're neglecting your core. Try doing planks(much more effective, in my experience, than situps) The important thing right now is just to keep at it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziodyne View Post
    I start off each session with some time on the elliptical trainer, usually while watching an episode of some anime or another. This is usually 22 to 24minutes or so of cardio as well as somewhere between 6 to 8 km distance and 90 to 100 calories burned.
    What

How fast do you jog bro, I go on the treadmill and rack up 100 calories lost in around 10-12 minutes without even hitting 2.4 km. Either the counter on the machine I use is broken or something else is dreadfully wrong somewhere lolololol.

Anyone know how to increase total number of pullups? I can do 11 at a go if I push, but fuck it I've been stuck at that number for months.

@spinach If you wanna lose weight you gotta do cardio. Lots of it. And by lots I mean run and push until you can't push any more, then push some more, and repeat that cycle about 62 times (estimate). Or control your diet, like Scooby says, but then I can't actually vouch for its efficacy.
    Last edited by Apple; May 11th, 2012 at 02:10 AM.