Thread: Kamen Rider BusterMod's Quest to Ride

Blog Entries

Kamen Rider BusterMod's Quest to Ride

Maybe not a Doujin project per say, but this is something I'm working on.

My motorcycle was stolen last year. It was a beat up old Katana I had gotten from my friend for cheap. Despite the way it looked and how inexpensive it was, it ran like a dream and was ridiculously fast. Losing it was hard, and it instilled in me the desire to get another motorcycle and reclaim that awesome feeling of riding.

Around September of last year, I enough money saved up that I could start to look around for some fixer-uppers. On Craig's List I found a 78 Yamaha XS750 Special. These bikes, known as 'Triples' due to their three cylinder design, were unique at the time and have a strong cult following online. The kid selling it needed money fast, so I picked it up for $400.

Riding season was winding down around that time as the temperature was steadily dropping and the bike needed some work. It was slowly leaking gas from somewhere and there was somehow gas in the oil as well. We don't have a garage here, so I had to pull it onto our walkway and cover it up for the winter.

Fast forward to now. The temperature's being more cooperative and there's been some really nice days. A friend of mine came over and we've started to work on the bike to get 'er going.

Fuel tank and Carburetors were taken off first. Generally, no matter what the carbs always have to be checked on an old bike like this. If they're clogged or there's any residue built up in them, they can really hurt the performance of the engine.

Here's the carbs with the intakes taken off. Amazingly enough when we opened them up, they were clean as a whistle. Shooting carb cleaner through the jets revealed they didn't have a bit of buildup in them and worked remarkably well. That's a stroke of luck as it's a lot of work to tear them down and rebuild them.

A bit of a closeup of the engine showing where the carbs attach. It's difficult to see in the picture, but almost all the tubing and wiring seems pretty new. It definitely looks like someone was working on this before we got to it.

With the carbs in near perfect condition, we ruled them out to be the cause of the fuel leak. The next suspect was where we found it, in one of the petcocks.

This has us a bit stuck, and we'll have to do more research on it. Taking it apart, it looked completely fine. However, it both leaks from the screw hole where it connects to the tank and also allows gas down the vacuum nozzle on every setting when it is only supposed to do this on PRI(me).

That, however, solves the mystery of why there was gas in the oil/crankcase. With it constantly allowing fuel down that vacuum tube, it would overflow and leak down into the crankcase, getting to the oil.

Anyway, that's where we are now. All in all, a lot of great discoveries. The engine itself turns over without any problems, so getting this leak fixed will have the only major problem taken care of. It shouldn't be too long, now. I'll keep the thread updated when we work on 'er again~

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    In that case, I wish you happy riding, Roadbuster.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Uguu, this reminds me to get off my ass and start testing on those motorcycle licenses.

I've always wanted to ride a Borough Superior around, lol

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    U-Ugh....machines.....I do not get along with them. Anyway, good luck Bustermod, I will silently cheer you on, as that's all I can do.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the support guys. Lol, and Jase, if you have the almost 500Gs it takes to buy one of those, then you can probably just afford to drive it no matter if you have the license or not.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I thought the carburetor was a model train until I read the text.

/pointless

Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster View Post
    Thanks for the support guys. Lol, and Jase, if you have the almost 500Gs it takes to buy one of those, then you can probably just afford to drive it no matter if you have the license or not.
    ;-;

I forgot to specify that it's a dream, rather than a want.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    I thought the carburetor was a model train until I read the text.

/pointless
    DAMMIT KOTO!

夜属 Nightkin
    Good luck to you sir, he who has the patience to get a motorbike working and the lack-thereof-fear to try using it!

*Reads what Koto wrote*

*Looks back at the picture* Oh yeah, it DOES look like a model train!
    My contributions to the fanfiction melting pot:
    (not so) Shallow Shirou
    Shattered Heaven
    Shatteraxia - currently up to Part 18

The perils of being distracted by your coworker at the critical moment

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, it kinda does.

I have to admit, I think bikes are cool to look at, but since I never learned to ride one without training wheels (bloody balance issues), getting me on one of those is a waste of time. Pity.

Anyways, I hope you can fix it up the way you'd like and enjoy it as you want to.

I was hoping to see you either modding the bike to make it look like one of the Riders, or to be riding it with a Kamen Rider suit. I was slightly disappointed but good luck!

(This means that when you start riding it you should be doing one of these things)

Everything is Nobu's fault. King Rorthur's Avatar
    Looking good, Mr. Busterman.

I am the herp of my derp. Hurr is my body and durr is my blood. I have created over a thousand derps unknown to durps nor known to hurps
    have withstood durrs to create many derps yet, those hurrs will never herp anything so, as I pray, Unlimited Derp Works
    ~
    Because somehow Kiritsugu managed to make GARcher look like a pussy.