Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Anime 2024: Has it really be 4 years since the 'Rona?

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Winter Anime 2024: Has it really be 4 years since the 'Rona?

Well there's little more than a week and a half until the new season starts and no thread yet so:

Winter!

Not a lot of stuff looking particularly interesting this season, aside from sequels and carry overs.

Dungeon Meshi looks fun
    I'm excited for Sengoku Youko since it's one of the few Mizukami manga I haven't read. It's also White Fox so the chances that it's just a slide show is refreshingly low.
    Maybe the new Bones show about lesbian Bladerunners.

We're getting more Mashle, Blue Exocist, High Card, Urusei Yatsura, Fire Hunter (I can't belive this got a second season), Frieren, Shangra-la Frontier, Undead Unluck, Apothecary Diaries and Great Pretender.

The real reason I'm making the thread this time is that I found this show with the least appealing description I've ever seen and wanted to ask about it:
    Sokushi Cheat ga Saikyou Sugite, Isekai no Yatsura ga Marude Aite ni Naranai n desu ga.

Awaking to absolute chaos and carnage while on a school trip, Yogiri Takatou discovers that everyone in his class has been transported to another world! He had somehow managed to sleep through the entire ordeal himself, missing out on the Gift — powers bestowed upon the others by a mysterious Sage who appeared to transport them. Even worse, he and another classmate were ruthlessly abandoned by their friends, left as bait to distract a nearby dragon. Although not terribly bothered by the thought of dying, he reluctantly decides to protect his lone companion. After all, a lowly Level 1000 monster doesn't stand a chance against his secret power to invoke Instant Death with a single thought! If he can stay awake long enough to bother using it, that is...

Is this real? It seems like the most cracked isekai that could ever be, so how is it possible to be played straight? Is it a horror show where the mc has to avoid using hs power for fear of friendly fire?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    It's apparently comedy, but mostly it's just boring.

Watchlist:
    - Classroom of the Elite
    - Mato Seihei
    - Tomozaki
    - Wrong Way to Heal
    - Shangri-La Frontier
    Maybe:
    -Ishura

Light season; guess I'll play more games.
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; December 21st, 2023 at 10:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Watch:
    Blue Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati Saga
    Oh, I'm so excited for this, so so so excited for this.
    Metallic Rouge

Yeah, it's a short list, but I have plenty to watch, so it's fine.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Looking Up To Magical Girls
    Undead Unluck

Great Pretender Razbliuto

Huh, not much I'm interested in this season, and one's a continued.
    Last edited by RoydGolden; December 21st, 2023 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Added OVA

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Shaman King Flowers
    Sengoku Youko

Pessimistic expectations on both
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    Some pantheons are depicted as Tamamo, while others are only potentially Tamamo.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    ABSOLUTELYS:
    Dungeon Meshi
    Bokuyaba
    A sign of affection (rare extremely high quality shoujo adaptation, even if the rival character is a waste of page count and the fluff gets too teeth rotting for me after a point?
    Saijaku Tamer wa Gomi Hiroi no Tabi wo Hajimemashita (it's pointless as an isekai but I like it's more chill cute vibes)
    Sengoku youko

MAYBES
    The witch and the beast ( I liked the manga but the anime art just looks aggressively mediocre)
    Metallic rouge (after GWitch I've had my fill of anime originals, I'll wait for this to finish and if it seems competent I'll give it another chance)
    Ishura

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Shaman King Flowers
    Sengoku Youko

Pessimistic expectations on both
    I think Sengoku youko will probably at least be even. Not particularly high production but honestly at least it looks like the animators wanted to work on it

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Isekai Mofumofu
    MahoAko
    Dungeon Meshi
    Mato Seihei no Slave
    Sokushi Cheat Saikyou Sugite
    Sasaki to Pi-chan
    Chiyu Mahou
    Pon no Michi
    Kekkon Yubiwa
    Mashle
    Solo Leveling
    Saikyou Tank
    Shin no Nakama S2
    Loop 7
    Nozomanu Fushi
    High Card S2
    TsukiMichi S2
    Hime-Sama, "Goumon"
    Synduality Noir part 2
    Oroka Tenshi
    LV 99 Villainess
    Sengoku Youko
    Metallic Rouge
    Gekkan Mousou
    Bang Bravern
    Majo Yajuu
    Saijaku Tamer
    Bucchigiri
    Ishura

Shorts

Meitou "Isekai no Yu"

Continues
    Hirogaru Sky finale
    Sousou no Frieren
    Apothecary Diaries
    Shangri-La Frontier
    Megumi Daigo
    Ragna Crimson

Movies (whenever BDs are out)
    Bloody Escape
    Madoka Walpurgis Kaiten

OVA/ONA/Special
    Eiyuu Kyoushitsu
    Great Pretender razbliuto
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    As Rafflesiac said, Instant Death is a pure comedy. It started out OK, but ran out of jokes and is instead throwing more and more 'quirky' characters in to the mix to compensate. I'll try the anime, but probably won't watch more than an episode here and there.

Frieren, SLF, and Apothecary continuing is actually more exciting than any of the new stuff, of which there's a lot I've read. Sengoku Youko might be good, but it's going to face a lot of issues in an anime adaption - not the least of which is that it really needs the entire thing to get a payoff. I read that it's already scheduled for three seasons, which is good, but that's a long time to wait and it would not surprise me if it gets cancelled before then.

Modern anime don't get cancelled. When's the last time that happened? You gotta pay the studio, tv stations and others. Once a decision is made to go 3 cours, they pay for 3 cours and can't get the money back if cancelled. I guess there was Stars Align, but that was still during production before how many episodes got confirmed. If they're saying 3 cours, it's 3 cours
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Last one I remember is that magical girl show from the lockdown Marchen Madness or something? Wasn't there a weeb Kingdom Hearts around that time too that got nuked because their parodies were a little too on-the-nose?

Marchen ended up airing the final episodes after delay
    Pastel Memories suffered from an Osomatsu-kun where episode 1 was too on the nose and after airing on TV didn't get to discs and got taken down, but still aired to the end
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Has it really be 4 years since the 'Rona?
    Just popping in to say it's actually been five years (hence the 19 in Covid-19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Just popping in to say it's actually been five years (hence the 19 in Covid-19)
    November 2019 was only 4 years ago though.

Blog Entries
    Watching dunmeshi for a friend, checking out level 99, loop 7, and 30-sai for me. I'm in love with the villainess gave me the femc isekai and/or time loop bug.

Speaking of loop 7, I saw this today - it doesn't seem connected? Which is amazing that you can just do that, lol.
    IYKYK

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    Marchen ended up airing the final episodes after delay
    Huh. Didn't know that. I just remember that it stopped at 10 of 12.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GDB View Post
    November 2019 was only 4 years ago though.
    Yes it is. I shall leave my embarrassing statement for all to see as a warning against hubris.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Well, they've started.
    And I'll admit, I'm always down for trying out a new magic girl show, and enjoy the ones that have new or interesting twists. But Mahou Shoujo ni Akogarete - what the hell? WTF was that? And when does the next episode air? For something that was little more than a direct perversion of the usual tropes, it managed to make the first episode amusing. If it can keep it up, it'll be one of the better variants on the genre to come out in the past decade or two.

SOLO LEVELINNNNNNNNG
    I hope the adaptation is good. Story is nothing crazy but it was pretty fun anyways.

Other than that I'll be checking out for sure;
    Dungeon Meshi
    COTE s3
    .... this list looks kinda underwhelming, I'll probably check some other stuff too.

Any recommendations? Can be sequels too, I don't mind catching up on a season or two.
    Last edited by kirien; January 7th, 2024 at 09:16 AM.
    Rin ballin battin

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    For something as popular as Solo Leveling is, they really did nothing to engage me in the first episode.

Silent Affection is pretty good. All the men seem a bit too round in the face, but that's probably bias from all the CLAMP I've seen. EDIT: OH YUKI! THATS WHY SHE KEEPS TALKING ABOUT SNOW.

Weakest Tamer: Is the main character's given name really FeMC? I get that she's negelegted by everyone but come on.

I think Alan Wake 2 has ruined my ability to take 90% of fantasy shows seriously anymore. Every time they start talking about the Hero of Light, I start singing Herald of Darkness under my breath. I don't know how long I'll keep up with Wedding Rings, but that cat girl in the ED is making me stick around for a little bit at least.

I'm kind of tempted to watch Way of Pon just so I can figure out how Mahjong is scored for when I play Yakuza games. And learn the numbers on those tiles with kanji.

Bravern was strange and took a while to get going, but I think I'm behind a super robot show starring a tired 30 yr old who has no idea wtf is happening.

Witch and the Beast felt like it was aiming to be a super edgy show like Kingdom of Ruin, but it was actually far more restrained. It kind of had that old Hellsing feel to it.

Dr. Elise is the most unique villainess anime I've seen. Also, Pallas is a great name for an owl.

Metalic Rouge: Is that just Vash the Stampede?! I'm getting big Carole and Tuesday vibes, is it the same art team? Hmm...MAL says director is the only crossover. This OST is killer though.

Instant Death is bad, but I can't say I hate it either. I'm disappointed that the other powerless ones died at the start. I'd be way more interested in figuring out what power they had that superseded gameification.

Wow there was way more decent stuff in this chunk than I expected. So much for a light season.

About Solo Leveling: Keep in mind that a popular opinion I've seen is that the most engaging thing for people is the art and the cool factor in fight scenes with character and plot being weak aspects. Lots of people were saying the anime staff needed to deliver cool animation or the whole thing would lose a lot of appeal. So, yeah SL doesn't seem like it got it's popularity for having a super engaging story or characters. Seems more like a korean Kimetsu no Yaiba where cool fights gave it a lot of popularity even when the story and cast are very basic
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler: