Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together PSP

Blog Entries
    But I LIKE grinding levels all over again! And I like the old difficulty!

*pouts*

Eh, I'll mostly stick to my older games, I guess. Then again, my favorite games are stuff along the lines of Etrian Odyssey. Now those are some serious fun.

'Old Man' rant/

Back in my day, if we wanted to see all 3/6/however many paths a game had, we played it 3/6/however many times through! None of those fancy time-traveling shenanigans, no sirree! We beat it once for each path we wanted to see, and we liked it! And it gave us a sense of accomplishment to do it like that.

Damn kids and their newfangled games...

/end 'Old Man' rant
    Last edited by Marth; March 21st, 2011 at 11:11 PM.

It is your loss, if you don't experience the TO:Remake yourself. I don't think game creators magically lose their ability to make good games, especially for a designer of Matsuno's calibur. However, they might not be "ON" to the trends of the world at large IMO, the market at large is turning against the JRPG, people don't have the same tastes no more.

Etrian has often be called a throwback to the Roguelikes, but it is more accurately a incarnation old MS-DOS Dungeon Crawl games. IMO roguelikes it never really died in Japan...just sorta evolved with the Chocobo Dungeon games and the Shiren seires. As for Dungeon Crawls, there has always been Wizardry...but it haven't got new games until Etrian sorta revived the genre . SMT:SJ is technically a dungeon crawl as well.
    Last edited by Rainrir; March 21st, 2011 at 11:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    I loved the hell out of the EO series. Me and a pair of friends are doing a Let's Play of it over on TFF, actually. Though due to one of our LPers hectic schedule, it's not gone far yet. >_>
    To be fair, I liked the remake of Final Fantasy Tactics. Though one of the new classes was a pain in the ass to get.

You talk like you don't have to beat each path when you time travel back to attempt it again. You do. You have to beat every battle in Chaos, Law or Neutral if you choose to explore a path your HAVEN'T previously. The enemies start to scale (post unlocking W.O.R.L.D) and their equipment scales as well (to a point), it is entirely posisible to end up in a situation where the enemy massively outgears you (and you don't have the gear to compete) unless you pay attention to the crafting system.

Because enemies scale, it is functionally the same with or without grinding. As your relatively power level vis-a-vis the enemy stays the same, until you get all the broken equipment anyway.
    Last edited by Rainrir; March 21st, 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Admit it, at least 90% of the people complaining about CHARIOT would save as often as possible and restart if something didn't go as planned. CHARIOT is just less annoying way of saving as much as possible.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    I played Ogre Battle 64. Not a tactics game, though.

Get this, or no get?

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    GET IT!

Also, make sure you play March of the Black Queen(the SNES Ogre Battle)

EDIT: THEN SEE IF YOU CAN GET ATLUS OR SOMEONE TO FUCKING MAKE A NEW ONE!!!

Blog Entries
    I remember playing that one. Twas great fun. Moreso when I made off with the maiden. ^_^

What maiden are you talking about? You don't really make off with any maiden in MotBQ. Anyway playing March of the Black Queen wil make you more attached to characters like Lanselot, Deneb, Warren and Canopus. It will also explain the nature of the final dungeon better. It is not a requirement though. Playing Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis also make a certain character more understandable.

Altus doesn't own the rights to any of the OB game unfortunately. any new Ogre game must be made through SquareEnix. Both TO and OB rights belong to SE when Quest ( Matsuno's original company and the company that started the Ogre Saga) was aqquired by SE.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Dammit.....SE you guys had better make more.....

Well, given how many people decided not to buy the game because 'all these new names suck, and so do the new features!' ...

Probably not as likely as you'd hope.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Did people really do that, or are they just saying it because they suck?

Honestly, I'm probably exaggerating the importance of overseas sales being to the creation of another sequel or prequel to the series, but yes, some people didn't buy it just because of the names.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Well, they suck. And I hate them.

I just want the damn series to continue, is that so bad? At least let me watch Lodis finally crumble.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    That's right - Atlus has published past games in the series, but since the latest entry was developed and published by Squeenix, I doubt we will be seeing it in the office in the forseeable future.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainrir View Post
    What maiden are you talking about? You don't really make off with any maiden in MotBQ. Anyway playing March of the Black Queen wil make you more attached to characters like Lanselot, Deneb, Warren and Canopus. It will also explain the nature of the final dungeon better. It is not a requirement though. Playing Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis also make a certain character more understandable.

Altus doesn't own the rights to any of the OB game unfortunately. any new Ogre game must be made through SquareEnix. Both TO and OB rights belong to SE when Quest ( Matsuno's original company and the company that started the Ogre Saga) was aqquired by SE.
    Eh, I should have been more clear I suppose. I was making a joke about marriage and the tradition of the groom carrying the bride across the threshold of their house the day of their marriage. Which in turn was a reference to brides being stolen away in the olden days. Sorry bout' that. >_<
    It was a rather pleasant surprise the first time I got it. Tis the 'Heirophant' ending, by the way.
    http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/snes/c/obheiro.htm

Rauny... :3
    Last edited by Marth; March 23rd, 2011 at 12:59 AM.

Rainrir's bumptastic posts for Class building and evalution.Part 1

Warriors

The original starting grunt in the original, people used to try and get out of this class as soon as possible...unless they want to level up for MOAR HP. Nowadays, the Warrior is actually a VIABLE ENDGAME choice and one of the stronger physical attackers in the game. What makes them good? Well, they can use almost any weapon worth your time in this game (with the glaring exception of spears). Their new skills make them excellent damage dealers from the start to the finish. Their problem is their weakish MND and RES stats, which make them rather vulnerable to magic, they also are not that physically durable for a melee class. The lack of defensive skills, combined with their weakish magic defense stats and average melee defense, mean that their only defense is their high-ish HP.

TLR Evaulation

+150 for smashing things with heavy weapons and knocking people off ledges
    -50 for magic vulnerability
    -10 for squishness in melee

-100 for corny helmet and "gown armor" the male warrior spirite wears.
    -100 for how boring they are outside smashing things.
    -5 Knocking things into pits give you no treasure or tarot reward...LAME-O

Stats spread

STR: 126
    VIT: 118
    DEX: 118
    AGI: 119
    INT: 117
    MND: 119
    RES: 114
    ATK/DEF Mod: 4/2

The lowish Defensive mod will be a major problem when he is attacked. The warrior actually has high MND for a melee class, the problem is that every magical class who spams status effect have better MND than all of the melee classes. The Warrior's high attack makes it dangerous for the rest of the party when he is targeted by things like Charm. He can actually be killed if he gets a status effect at a bad time, and enemies focus their fire on him. Good STR and ATK Mod means he will do good damage with heavy weapons, but their lowish DEX hinders their ability to use light and ranged weapons properly

Recommended Weapons

Two handed anything
    - Hammers. Swords or Axes. These are the best RT/Output ratio weapons for warriors. Their high STR allows them to do maximum damage with these weapons. Grind up the weapon skills to ensure you have a decent chance of hitting the target (two handers have bad accuracy at the start).

Whips
    - This has an attack range of 2. This is some kind of ghetto spear that can reach two panels but cannot hit two targets at once. This weapon is good in the sense that it gives the warrior extra reach and safety from counterattacks. It is also allows easier positioning of your Warrior to knock people into bottomless pits and down cliffs with Mighty Impact. It also allows you to push the annoying enemy Knight back without actually entering the Rampant Aura area. As a added bonus, the Whip Deathblows are all pretty good.

One-handed something with One-handed crossbow/bows
    -Your ranged attack wouldn't be very effective, but this is effective for certain kinds of Double Impact munchkining. The ranged attack's purpose is to give you very fast boost (when you shoot someone) in initial TP to do Double Impact non-stop.

Don't ever equip

Ranged Weapons
    - None of your skills work with ranged attacks. If you really want to shoot something, get an archer, fusilier or/and vultan instead instead. You cannot even use an item sling!

1-handed anything + shield
    - What kind of pussy warrior hides behind a shield. If you want to hide behind a shield, play a KNIGHT instead.

Daggers
    - Warriors are supposed to smash things with big ass weapons, not poke people with little bits of iron! As another Warrior once said "YOU MUSTN'T BE AFRAID TO DREAM A LITTLE BIGGER, DARLING.” before showing that size matters. In any case, the real reason is that the Warriors have sub-optimal DEX scores and far superior STR scores, which weakenes the attack power of Daggers in their hands. Additionally, daggers work better when dual wielded, or used by Rogues...

Skills

Mighty Impact
    - This is the workhorse damage boosting skill in the game for the Warrior. This ensures your next attack hits 100% of the time, always knockbacks and always critical. This skill increases your damage output significantly when you don't have enough TP for deathblows and generally can generate enough TP back to use Mighty Impact again. This skill is also great for ensuring that your attack will always be bowling people into bottomless pits later into the game. This ability has a hidden property that seems to always inflict with 100% (unless target is immune) whatever debuffing/status skill that as a chance to activate as part of the weapon's attack effect.

Vigorous Assault
    - This skill would be awesome in another game. 100% hit guranteed hit chance from the front for everyone in the melee line? Sounds awesome on paper. The problem with this skill is that hit rates become very good towards the middle of the game...unless you are fighting the high evade classes..who will die to a Mighty Impact attack from one Warrior (and don't require a gang beating). If this game had 50% hit rates in endgame for frontal melee fights, this skill would have been awesome. Too bad, maybe it will be better for the next Ogre game.

Double Impact
    - AWWWW YEAAAAHHHH. This skill is pretty awesome. This allows the next attack of the Warrior to hit twice. Instead of pounding your big, throbbing hammer into that hot Valkyrie once, you pound it into her twice! Then she explodes. This basically doubles the Warrior's damage output, has a low RT penalty compared to the OTHER method to hit twice in this game...and requires less TP compared to the OTHER OETHER method to hit twice in this game. This skill is awesome, and make the Warrior viable in endgame. Moreso than Mighty Impact, you recoop the TP used (and then some) when you use this skill. This means the skill becomes essentially free once you get the initial 50 TP to power it.

Warior Builds

Frankly, there is not many skill builds for the Warrior. The Warrior is extremely one-dimensional, which is partially the reason why some think they are boring. Slap on the corresponding weapon skill, weapon elemental skill and all the melee enhancement skills, the Warrior will be unsable. The Warrior is one of the few melee classes than can use COUNTER IV, which allows them to hit rather hard if they are attacked later on. This is just increases the output of the warrior even more and generates more TP for himself, just make sure he gets to the frontlines! Help him achieve that with Move Plus. Additionally, the Warrior's survivability can be massively increased by giving him Field Alchemy. However, note that you cannot use Item Slings, so all item-use will probably be to himself only.

Ultimately, you will to pair him with someone who can remove status effects from him, as those are the things that will screw up your Warrior more often or not. Someone with a lobber, or a Cleric, or a White Knight will make an excellent team with the Warrior.
    Last edited by Rainrir; March 23rd, 2011 at 01:18 PM.

JP Friend Code
    I am ashamed of myself.
    Spoiler:
    There's a sister obsessed with her brother, and I didn't realized they weren't blood related? What I've been playing VNs the last few years for?
    Fate/Grand Order Friend code: 941022491/マヅィリアン

Some manga raws
    Mediafire folder

Blog Entries
    ^ Hand over your VN Gamer Card, sir. Your license has been revoked.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marth View Post
    If the remake hadn't butchered the damn names, I might like it a bit more.
    I played around with the remake for a bit and all of the names were exactly the same.

But then, I don't think I've ever put an English-language game in my PSP, so I'm being intentionally obtuse right now.