Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together PSP

Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together PSP

I don't think I saw anyone here or in the channel that actually played this gem. I will make this topic to entertain myself and leave notes for my hypothetical future website. What does everyone actually think of the game, did anyone actually play the game? does anyone actually care? -_-

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Bleh, now that you've reminded me, I got to go pick it up... Curses, all these games are sucking up my time and money D:<
    What is man? A miserable little pile of secrets. But enough talk... Have at you!

JP Friend Code
    Just got a PSP a few days ago and started playing this (along with Fate/EXTRA and F/UC).
    Just started the 2nd chapter (being the Butcher of Golyat, yay me).
    And how I love the winged archer.
    Fate/Grand Order Friend code: 941022491/マヅィリアン

Some manga raws
    Mediafire folder

Does this have my namesake in it? If it does, I feel somewhat compelled to play it. (I've only played March of the Black Queen and Person of Lordly Calibur)

Yeah, I bought this a week or two ago. I haven't been playing it very intensely though. Still only about 6-7 battles away from the end.

It really is a good remake though, despite all the bitching from various people. The WORLD system makes going back and doing all the routes and choices you skipped over so much easier, and the number of stuff added to the game is pretty extensive. Ravness makes buying the game worthwhile~

Does this have my namesake in it? If it does, I feel somewhat compelled to play it. (I've only played March of the Black Queen and Person of Lordly Calibur)
    No, it has a number of characters from the previous games, but not Saradin.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, Saradin is in Zenobia getting ready for the events of PoLC to take place. I'm still not quite sure what happened to the banished Zenobians(like Canopus) and I really want to. Too bad I'm stuck in Chapter 3(getting close to 4 I think) and can't beat this damn battle.

Blog Entries
    Bah, damn PSP version. I prefer the SNES version with the translation that Gideon Zhi did.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    ...What about the PSX version? And I thought the SNES version never actually got a full translation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KENTA View Post
    ...What about the PSX version? And I thought the SNES version never actually got a full translation.
    Ya, Gideon Zhi finished the translation awhile ago.

Linkage

Translation issues is pretty darn minor a thing to judge a remake. Never get why people QQ about the translation, other than hype backlash. Alexander O.Smith did an awesome job in Vagrant Story and FF12, and he did a good job here. Plus, it is not Zhi do a major rewrite....he merely edited the Altus script (which isn't horrible but...) by his own admission. Saying you like Zhi's script is essentially saying you liked Altus original translation for the PS1 version....which is a valid position to take, but personally, the Altus translation lacks polish in my eyes.

The remake had a far better tactical system compared to the original, the addition of the action skills system, the skill system and the space controlling mechanics all made the game more tactical. More than a few classes can be played in a different way from each other now. Additionally, it no longer has the broken "naked ninja/dragoon/terror knight wearing orbs" problem. Or the existance of MANY* useless classes AND useless races...whose existance is just to allow you to level your stats in a certain way (While the new one has power level differences between the classes, every single class is usable *to the endgame* in the remake.). The graphics are somewhat remastered and the plot of most characters expanded.

Blog Entries
    If the remake hadn't butchered the damn names, I might like it a bit more.

They retranslated the names. "Butcher" is too harsh an accusation. In the end, your complaints don't move very far beyond the "they changed it now it sucks" mindset. Altus USA translated the game a certain way, SE is also entitled to translate it their own way. Matsuno did give the nod for the various localization changes, so I don't see what is to complain about it.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Oh shit! Tactics Ogre?! Gotta go play that.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

I gotten ask, since I've seen numerous people bitching about the names.

Is there ACTUALLY any connection to their namesakes? Like Alocer the hell duke? Because from what I've seen of the Tactics Ogre character, she has absolutely no connection to that mythical figure whatsoever, not in personality or background. If all the others are the same, the references honestly seem pretty damn weak for all the complaints being thrown about on them.

As far as I know, Matsuno threw in the names because they sound cool. Not because there is any real significance to it. There is no real consistency in the naming of the characters, so no case can be made for the names to mean anything other than just being names.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Only thing that annoys me is Xenobia. Z MOTHERFUCKERS, USE IT!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainrir View Post
    They retranslated the names. "Butcher" is too harsh an accusation. In the end, your complaints don't move very far beyond the "they changed it now it sucks" mindset. Altus USA translated the game a certain way, SE is also entitled to translate it their own way. Matsuno did give the nod for the various localization changes, so I don't see what is to complain about it.
    And if my preference is the older names, that's my choice. Not so much 'They changed it so it's bad', moreso 'They changed it, so I'll stick with what I like'.

Re-posted semi-rant from user GenocideHeart over on the TFF forums:

Yeah, if you overlook Square's usual 'let's change ALL the names to BE DIFFERENT, because obviously ours are better!!!".

I fail to see how making Denim Czech (Pavel is a common Czech last name), changing ONE letter in his name, making Aloser's name unpronounceable (Arycelle?) and generally changing shit just because they can and want to be different, makes it 'as good' as you remember it. It's an inferior remake, like more or less all the remakes Square made lately.

(also, I love how the Squaretards at GameFAQs tried to claim that Aloser's original name was Arycelle. However you look at it, her name in katakana is romanized 'A-LO-CE-RU', so Arycelle is just plain WRONG. The two translations that feature her use either Aloser or the more literal Alocer (and for the record, Alocer has meaning - it's the name of one of the 72 Demon lords of the Goetia. Like Forcas, Orias and Andoras, in fact - it's a theme naming that the old TO game had, and Square, in its anxiety to show it has a bigger penis than Atlus, let it go completely over its head).
    And a note about various names in the game:

Also, I ranted about it somewhere else, but Square completely fucked up with the names' theme. A lot of characters were named after Goetia demons, something they'd have noticed if they hadn't been in such a hurry to OMG BE DIFFERENT, so when they changed them all, the theme naming (which started back in Ogre Battle, mind you) was murdered.
    A rant it may be, but the man has some good points. I suppose I just prefer my older versions.

I answered to the thread when he posted on Gamefaqs. Personally, I feel that GenocideHeart (and Kouli) have grown grumpy with age (I interacted with them for sometime, I guess you can say I am an oldfag at gamefaqs). The significance of the demon naming theme is already disproven in thnat discussion there. He literally had no point other than "THE ARS GOETIA DEMON NAMES ARRR IMPORTANT TO THE PLOT"...which is completely rubbish a point.

A-RO-CE-RU =/= Aloser because "ser" would be "SAA" in Katakana. Perhaps Alocer (which still have a problem with the "SAA" sound) would work, but Arcyelle (Ar-ce-lle) is arguably close to it. The real issue is if you actually think the "RO" sound is important in her name or just there to denote the "Ar" sound. Not to mention Denam is spelt "Denam" in all the promotional material in Japan (including the strategy guide and site material). Don't see his point then (haven't gotten the Japanese startegy guide) and don't see his point now.

There is nothing wrong with liking the old trsnaltion. However, there really is not need to call the new one "BAD or "Horrible" because of minute details that isn't even important to the overall plot. It is like arguing blue cheese tastes bad because it looks blue.
    Last edited by Rainrir; March 21st, 2011 at 10:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Eh, I don't think the new remake is horrible because of the changes, I just dislike it. Does it mean I won't play it? Heck no. But it does detract from my enjoyment of the game. And as for the time traveling bit? Ugh...

I'm used to playing stuff like Fire Emblem 4, where if an ally dies, that's it, they're gone. Other than a VERY rare single-use item, you cannot otherwise bring allies back.

...I guess that means I'm a grumpy old man. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Marth View Post
    Eh, I don't think the new remake is horrible because of the changes, I just dislike it. Does it mean I won't play it? Heck no. But it does detract from my enjoyment of the game. And as for the time traveling bit? Ugh...

I'm used to playing stuff like Fire Emblem 4, where if an ally dies, that's it, they're gone. Other than a VERY rare single-use item, you cannot otherwise bring allies back.

...I guess that means I'm a grumpy old man. =(
    W.O.R.L.D is something that allows you to see all the subtitle differences when you use different characters for different battles (because there is much much more dialogue now between characters and bosses). This is significant because not all characters who have dialogue with a stage boss are that obvious (Canopus-Zapan, Canopus-Ravness are examples). It also allows you to explore all 3 paths without grinding levels all over again.

As for the "post game time travel" bit (which is a little bit of a spoiler), it is arguably non canon and just easter eggs for the fans (who wanted a playable Hamilton and Warren since....since forever).

The game in general is balanaced around getting the no-CHARIOT, no-Incap titles for the "vets". The lack of penalty for deaths (other than titles) is to encourage new players not to be scared off by the series "old" difficulty.