Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clash of Protagonists (FSN/Crossover)

Blog Entries

Clash of Protagonists (FSN/Crossover)

Part One:

Shepard had been sceptical about this from the start. She'd rather expected that 'the power to stop the Reapers' would be fulfilled via some kind of mass-accelerator cannon finally capable of destroying the Machine Gods with impunity. Perhaps some way to reverse indoctrination, letting the galaxy put up a proper fight, world-to-world. Nowhere had her contract specified time travel. (And smartarses pointing out that she performed time travel on a regular basis via the medium of an FTL starship could please walk directly out one of said starship's airlocks). Apparently she'd been summoned back to Earth in the early 21st Century to fight for the Holy Grail. Just slightly unbelievable.

Actually, that all did qualify as 'slightly' unbelievable compared to what she'd seen over the last hour or so, since she'd been summoned. The 'Servants' involved in the 'Holy Grail War' had been quite able to sense the absurd amounts of prana radiating off each other and, as everyone chose a target and closed in, a gigantic battle royale had developed. A park, close to the city's centre, had ended up being their paths' convergence point. Shepard had flicked on her tactical cloak just before she approached. With that, her prana presence was severed from the outside world. Just because all the other Servants seemed happy to stand out like beacons didn't mean Shepard felt the need to. Always better to gauge your opponents' abilities than to reveal yours.

The first casualty had been a man clothed in little more than rags, a belt of bone, and an incredible amount of scar tissue. Shepard would have been very surprised if she'd looked any worse whilst Cerberus was putting her back together. A strangely-garbed man – a monk? - had reacted with the speed of a swallow and shot the Servant twice between the eyes. Good marksmanship – Shepard approved, even if she was sceptical of his odd laser-pistols. Shepard did not approve of the scarred man's head healing from its wound, or of the fact that he had got back up with a small smile. Bitter, weary and amused, all at once, it made Shepard wonder how many times he'd done such a thing already. (Cerberus, she was sure, would have hated the man for doing something, which they'd achieved only after the investment of two years and billions of credits, with such ease. Or maybe they'd have loved him – as their latest experimental subject).

His erstwhile attacker had been only slightly less shocked, but had apparently decided to go all out. Through her rifle's scope, she could see dark veins creeping over his face, his eyes yellowing and his skin greying. He stretched out his hand and seemed to call on some sort of biotics (couldn't be, though – no blue glow, no subtle, tell-tale shift in the local gravity). The scarred man was lifted into the air. His limbs stretched, cracked, broke. His back bent, before a sudden snap sounded through the park, and the man folded in two. Shepard blinked and winced a little inside. She'd not often seen Wrex achieve that level of brutality. Even Jack hadn't felt the need, save on Perugia.

Still, it didn't keep the seemingly undying man – man? Humans could not do this sort of thing – down. More cracks sounded as bones shifted back into place, until the immortal was standing again. Just in time to get hit by the robed man's next attack, one that grated on Shepard's … mind? No, something deeper than that, even if she couldn't put a name to it.

“Servant Saber's Noble Phantasm: Death Field ・A Wound In Life Itself!”

The dark-robed man intoned those words, and a crackling, purple stream of light reached out from him. She noticed the immortal actually wincing when it touched him, and the smile drop off his face.

“Enough. This is unacceptable.” His voice sounded just as rough as his skin, and it creaked like an old iron gate. But his next words were filled with power, too much to dismiss. “Missile of Patience ・ Accumulated Wisdom of Uncounted Lives.”

Then it was Saber's turn to be worried – some sudden flash of intuition, Shepard thought, warning him that his victory was much farther away than he'd believed. His guns dropped from his hands, and somehow floated into the holsters at his side, just as a metal tube jumped from his belt to his palm. It would have been an impressive display of biotic manipulation, if Shepard weren't quite sure that no biotic could make her hair stand on end as his strange lightning attack had done earlier. A hiss, and the tube ignited, sprouting a crimson-red blade. A laser sword. Of course, why not? He was trying to kill someone who was apparently immortal, so why shouldn't he casually defy physics?

The blade was brought up just in time, as a torrent of energy poured out of the ballista that had somehow materialised by the immortal's side. Another mad impossibility – but no time to think about that. Dozens, hundreds, thousands of blue-glowing bolts leapt forward at Saber. He deflected perhaps the first thirty, once again demonstrating absurd speed and reflexes that Shepard couldn't have matched, even after all of Mordin and Cerberus' surgery. Even more seemed just to fizzle out as they reached him, cancelled by the magic resistance granted to Servant Saber. But that defence too could be overwhelmed. Finally, one bolt burst through, causing him to flinch, to shudder in pain. With his guard down, there was no chance: the strikes hammered into him over and over, causing that same spastic pain reflex. Not only that, but they seemed to burn everywhere they touched, turning his exposed skin red and black. As the storm of energy tailed off, Saber was left lying on the ground, groaning. The other Servant – Caster, no doubt about that – stepped forward, presumably ready for the finishing blow.

“Tch. Bit sad to see another of us lot with so little strength. Spirit-eater what can't stop a first-bloody-circle spell? C'mon, man!”

Ah, the (overly-sarcastic) next arrival. Shepard hadn't been concentrating on the prana signatures – which could have been a costly mistake – but it seemed the rest were catching up. Four Servants in the park, all told, and two more closing in quickly. ETA ... about a minute, she guessed. One giant cluster coming right up, and whatever force had kept the town's occupants asleep surely wouldn't hold up to all the Servants having it out at once.

The owner of the scornful voice – actually rather like Zaeed's, now Shepard thought about it – stepped forward out of the shadows. He was tall and brawny, with a huge scythe in his hands and a mocking smile on his face.

“Saber's down, so why don't you face me instead, Caster? See 'ow yer power faces up to Berserker!”

Rather sane for a Berserker, Shepard thought, though she supposed that challenging Caster head-on after what they'd both just seen probably counted as a form of madness. Caster, however, took his opponent seriously, instantly raising his hands and chanting out a spell (Shepard was already getting far too used to that kind of insanity at this stage). Roaring fire leapt out to attack the grinning man, but he moved out of the way with casual speed.

“C'mon, matey, step it up a bit! I'm not like this little prick,” he said, pointing at Saber as he lay on the ground of the park, “I 'ave actually fought a mage before.”

“Fuck … you,” gasped out Saber. “I will … consume you. I will … take your life … and I make it mine. This void ate planets …. threatened a galaxy. Death Field!”

Now the stream of light was thicker, reaching out and surrounding Berserker entirely with its purple haze. Unlike even the apparently immortal Caster, though, he seemed absolutely unconcerned. The reason soon became clear to Shepard, as Saber curled up where he was and screamed, his attack winking out in an instant.

“Told you, didn't I? Knew what you were, I felt it. Not so far off, us two. Empty spaces, hungerin' for life to fill us, for anything to keep from turnin' on ourselves. But you put emptiness in emptiness, and yer not gonna get anythin' but more emptiness.”

Shepard wasn't sure she'd understood half of that, but it apparently made sense to Saber, given his groaned curse.

“Ah, shut it, you shite. You could eat planets and whatever-bloody-else, but I ate soddin' gods, once upon a time. Lost as soon as you tried it, you prat. Let us get on with the proper work, yeah?” Having said his piece, Berserker pulled back his black scythe and swung it, decapitating the helpless Saber without apparent effort. The container dissolved, and the sparks drifted away, a tiny, transient memorial for the first casualty of this Holy Grail War.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Okay this seems pretty cool. I recognise the spirit eater, the nameless one and shepard but I'm not sure who saber was. Star wars maybe? Any how I'm quite interested to find out who all the others are. Though I admit I'm really rooting for O'l Nameless this time, but only if he's the true end god version of himself.

Blog Entries
    Excellent. Jedi Jesus, not a good idea to go for eating someone exactly like you, now was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

The Spirit Eater from Mask of the Betrayer? Huh. Neat. Bit of a cluttered mess for my tastes though. Couldn't tell who was being referred in the sequences.
    Last edited by Courier; June 2nd, 2012 at 11:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Akary View Post
    Okay this seems pretty cool. I recognise the spirit eater, the nameless one and shepard but I'm not sure who saber was. Star wars maybe? Any how I'm quite interested to find out who all the others are.
    Yeah, you've got the identities right. This developed over in Crossover Ideas with a little suggestion from Leo, back in February. I said I'd do a version of his "let's chuck a load of CRPG Portagonists into a Grail War" where it just turned into a gigantic battle royale. Did a bit then, but today I sat down and plotted it out entirely, whilst writing up about half of it.

How the idea developed in that thread - spoilers for all Servant identities!

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    MegaCRPG protag crossover because lolGrail, feat. Bioware, Obsidian, Bethesda.

Saber: The Jedi Exile, KOTOR 2 (Get out Revan)
    Lancer: Protag, Jade Empire (lol Li Shuwen, I'm just making stuff up here)
    Archer: The Warden, Dragon Age (For lack of a better spot)
    Rider: CMDR Shepard, Mass Effect
    Berserker: Protagonist, Mast of the Betrayer.
    Caster: Dovahkiin, Skyrim
    Assassin: The Nameless One, Planescape Torment
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Honestly, though, can you imagine the sheer chaos of a war between all of these lot, even below full power? The Warden moves in 'Arrow Time' and can snipe the wings off a butterfly, whilst firing hundreds of arrows a minute (a number of them exploding); the Exile and the spirit-eater are leaching people's souls; the Nameless One is bombing the battlefield with meteorite strikes (alternatively, summoning the Celestial Hosts/dropping people into Hell/high-level Missile of Patience); Shepard fires off the Cain; the Spirit Monk tanks it, undamaged, by going Red Minister. Glorious, truly glorious.
    ...this is way more awesome than I was even thinking of.
    Mmmm ...

... OK, yeah, it'll be good for me.

I shall write Leo's crossover (though the Skyrim PC's going to get replaced because I know nothing about him/her; you are welcome to guess the replacement). Just as a one-shot, with the hypothetical gigantic battle-royale.
    !

I am honored! You do the battle royale, I do the traditional drawn-out Grail War!

Though I admit I'm really rooting for O'l Nameless this time, but only if he's the true end god version of himself.
    As to the Nameless One ... he's not quite what you're thinking of. The Grail couldn't bring up him from his time as a semi-divine being, since it was beyond its capabilities - in terms of the records that the Grail can access and use, he approximates the Nameless One just before the final encounter. You should also keep in mind that this is the Prime, not the Planes, so belief is much less powerful.

Will he eventually win? My mouth is sealed

Excellent. Jedi Jesus, not a good idea to go for eating someone exactly like you, now was it?
    If he'd been paying some more attention to what the spirit-eater had been saying, he'd have noticed that he was about to do what Nihlus did to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    Bit of a cluttered mess for my tastes though. Couldn't tell who was being referred in the sequences.
    Any particular points where it's noticeable? I need to make sure I can avoid that for part two. Part three has ... culled the herd, but part two is a gigantic cluster, and I want to do my best to get the differentiation down correctly.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Err... Objectively, Nameless One should roflstomp pretty much anyone, outside maybe Spirit Eater (who he would still stomp). Especially if this Nameless One from after the game, but sans mortality. C'mon! That man was the greatest mage, warrior or thief to ever live (counting his accumulated feats).

Oh, and if nothing else, Imprisonment. Or Word of Power. Or "Meteor Swarm". Or "Celestial host". Or "Rune of Torment". What magic resistance? No saving throws!

Yeah, I can't see how anything could meaningfully stand up to fully powered (and empowered by his uncounted legends!) Nameless One. Who freaking destroyed the omniverse (his crime, if I remember correctly, doomed the planes to slow and agonizing and unavoidable death).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yog View Post
    Oh, and if nothing else, Imprisonment. Or Word of Power. Or "Meteor Swarm". Or "Celestial host". Or "Rune of Torment". What magic resistance? No saving throws!
    Imprisonment is Will Negates, Meteor Swarm is only like 40d6, Celestial Host IIRC just throws out weaksauce, and Torment is actually a problem but the rest are kinda meh (can you tell I play 3.5)
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Imprisonment is Will Negates, Meteor Swarm is only like 40d6, Celestial Host IIRC just throws out weaksauce, and Torment is actually a problem but the rest are kinda meh (can you tell I play 3.5)
    TNO is 2e (as is the Spirit-Eater, for reasons of consistency and me actually having a decent understanding of the rules). Thus, Imprisonment is no save, but has Range: Touch and requires knowledge of a subject's name and background (also seems to be subject to MR). In other words, that's not happening. As for the other spells ... you'll see, but we are working off a limited number of spells/day still.

Anyway, don't rule out the rest of the Servants yet! There're plenty of things I can pull out and, as Nasu's fond of noting, affinity advantages apply as much as straight-up power. Besides, even an immortal TNO still has weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
    I assume the story begins in medias res, and that we will see what the viewpoints of the Masters and Servants a day ago, at least? Because I'm confused.
    I could do something like that, but I'm not planning on it. Plot is basically 'Seven hax Servants show up at roughly the same time, everyone's putting out enough prana to sense each other across the city, they come together and fight (Fuyuki gradually being destroyed as we work our way up the scale of abilities ).
    Last edited by Seika; June 2nd, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Still, Rune of Torment

RUNE OF TORMENT Range: 0 Duration: Instant Speed: 9 Area of Effect: 50 ft. x 50 ft. area Saving Throw: None Pain, Agony, Suffering, Torment. When the Rune is invoked, even the earth shall resonate its anguish. Torment of the mind. Torment of the body. Torment of the soul. All will be made clear when the Circle is drawn. After the Ultimate Circle is inscribed on the ground, and the Rune explodes, all creatures in the 50 ft. x 50 ft. area that are hostile take 30 - 100 hit points of damage. There is no Saving Throw.
    If we go by fluff, and not game mechanics, this is absolutely terrifying. Than, there is "Power word: Kill", which basically instakills any master (I don't think any master has more than 120 hitpoints normally).

Oh, and Nameless One is "one of the last true great sorcerers" according to Ignus. And that is in a multiversal setting of Planescape.

In Nasuverse he has at least Third (true resurrection and related feats), Second (planeshifting of various kinds), Fifth or related (Timestop!) and other shenanigans. I really can't think of anything that can stop him in any meaningful way.

And yes, I know, that I'm wanking, but I'm really not - you have to consider what Nameless One is.

EDIT:

TNO is 2e (as is the Spirit-Eater, for reasons of consistency and me actually having a decent understanding of the rules). Thus, Imprisonment is no save, but has Range: Touch and requires knowledge of a subject's name and background (also seems to be subject to MR). In other words, that's not happening. As the other spells ... you'll see.
    So, due to Grail providing information, he only needs to see a Noble Phantasm to identify the enemy Servant and then get into melee with him/her/it?
    Last edited by Yog; June 2nd, 2012 at 11:51 AM.

The problem area, imo, happens just after the Missile of Patience.

Additionally, in agreement with the above comment, you have to realize another thing: Despite essentially be a new person each time he 'dies' and reincarnates, the Nameless One has existed in some for or another in a span that is measure by thousands of years. And potentially the Fortress would count as a mutually bad to all Reality Marble.

And god for-fucking-bid The Practical Incarnation gets involved. AT ALL. EVER.
    Last edited by Courier; June 2nd, 2012 at 11:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    In Nasuverse he has at least Third (true resurrection and related feats), Second (planeshifting of various kinds), Fifth or related (Timestop!) and other shenanigans. I really can't think of anything that can stop him in any meaningful way.
    The Spirit Eater ate something like a third of the FR pantheon.

Fake edit: did you look at the spoilers?

Blog Entries
    If we go by fluff, and not game mechanics, this is absolutely terrifying. Than, there is "Power word: Kill", which basically instakills any master (I don't think any master has more than 120 hitpoints normally).
    The Masters are not dumb and are staying the hell away from this. In fact, each and every one of them began leaving Fuyuki as soon as all the Servants had been summoned, sensing what a gigantic hellstorm it was going to turn out to be with these monstrous Servants. This is strictly for the CRPG protagonists to go through.

Even allowing that he can remember all these from his past lives, this is still the Nameless One from the game. He's lucky to have been summoned with the spells prepared from when he went to the final battle, never mind anything else. Vancian casting, remember? Anyway, his spell selection is limited to that which he would have had in the game - anything without a scroll doesn't turn up.

So, due to Grail providing information, he only needs to see a Noble Phantasm to identify the enemy Servant and then get into melee with him/her/it?
    And hit them. Minor thing, there, against end-game CRPG protagonists. Besides, Rune of Torment (and Imprisonment) have a casting time of 9, aka 'I'm going to stand still for ages, so please hit me to instantly destroy the ninety minutes of preparation I put into this spell'.

For the purposes of this 'fic, the Grail may draw from the entire multiverse which Akasha encompasses, but it provides only information relevant for its own universe up to the current date. They're not going to be able to identify each other. (This does not prevent them from making reasonable conclusions and using those for their advantage, as the Spirit-Eater did).
    Last edited by Seika; June 2nd, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Fake edit: did you look at the spoilers?
    Now I did. It doesn't change the fact that
    Spoiler:
    Nameless One can change classes almost at will
    And if he is
    Spoiler:
    from just before the final encounter
    , that means that he
    Spoiler:
    knows his own name, has knowledge of his Good, Paranoid and Practical incarnations and OMG!WTF!powerful

Also, if spoilers are true and he is
    Spoiler:
    an assassin, it is even worse - because presense concealment plus meteor drop as an AoE spell to take out masters. Or Power Word: Kill

But yes, I'll stop wanking now.

I guess
    Spoiler:
    Dovahkin could stand up to him with mortality inducing shout and if he went full-on acasual with non-linear time. But unless Shepard's ride is the Citadel with Crucible attached (space magic included) that she can drop on Earth, there isn't much anyone else can do.

EDIT:

For the purposes of this 'fic, the Grail may draw from the entire multiverse which Akasha encompasses, but it provides only information relevant for its own universe up to the current date. They're not going to be able to identify each other. (This does not prevent them from making reasonable conclusions and using those for their advantage, as the Spirit-Eater did).
    Spirit Eater should flat-out know the legend of Nameless One. There are mentions of him in Neverwinter nights 2.

EDIT2:

Also, didn't think about such a limitation on spells. Point made.
    Last edited by Yog; June 2nd, 2012 at 12:19 PM.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't Black Barrel or something with a similar property technically do well against The Nameless One?
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Wouldn't Black Barrel or something with a similar property technically do well against The Nameless One?
    Nameless One is not immortal through any normal or magical effect. He is immortal because his mortality is away. He still has it, thus it cannot be imposed on him, but they are separated.

Each time Nameless One dies, someone, somewhere in the Planescape multiverse, dies for him. Those who died for him, rise as shadows in the Fortress.

There are very few things that can kill him. Lady of Pain is capable. A Golem that is in the process of the "weapon that will kill the Planes" can produce such a weapon.

Also, technically, Nameless One doesn't regenerate. He dies, leaves a body behind, than spawns nearby. This is not game mechanics - this is important for plot.

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Concepts vs. concepts go go go

So, for ultimate trolling, first feed TNO something that will give him a non-normal lifespan (Gil should have one, and Medea can sort of make one) and then Harpe or BB him or something. It really depends on how Nasuverse and Planescape souls would clash; in fact, just by being summoned into the Grail War, TNO's existence is probably more "grounded" than in the Torment story.

And Zelretch would have tons of fun trolling. :P
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Lady of Pain is capable. A Golem that is in the process of the "weapon that will kill the Planes" can produce such a weapon.
    A full connection to the Elemental Plane of Fire; an Executioner's Axe wielded by someone who is without a shred of doubt in Justice. Willingly giving yourself over to the Throne of the Silent King. Petrification will get you a Game Over because you simply can't do anything, even if you're alive.

Also, technically, Nameless One doesn't regenerate. He dies, leaves a body behind, than spawns nearby. This is not game mechanics - this is important for plot.
    Eh? What about the times you kill yourself and get back up?
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Ahahahahahahaha! Hymn of Ragnarok's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I could do something like that, but I'm not planning on it. Plot is basically 'Seven hax Servants show up at roughly the same time, everyone's putting out enough prana to sense each other across the city, they come together and fight (Fuyuki gradually being destroyed as we work our way up the scale of abilities ).
    *walks over to Seika, and gives her a BIG BIG BIG hug*

It's....it's so beautiful.

I don't even know most of these people, but the sheer scale of power involved, with everyone using and exploiting their abilities to their maximum potential in a full out battle royale? Straight up combat and asskicking all the way?

It is absolutely ​glorious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    I refuse to believe that any eroge scene with Taiga would not make allusions to her Christmas Cake status, and this being Nasu, include references to making a cake. Stirring the batter, whisking the eggs, swirl the mixture around....
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam

IS THIS REVENGE, HYMN? REVENGE FOR ALL THE ABUSE I PUT YOU THROUGH?
    That's all, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy, Vlad_the_II (3 times), Radiantbeam (5 times), YeOfLittleFaith, Ars Poetica, The Curious Fan, Raven2785, zhead
    Damn you Hymn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach, KAIZA (2 times), Old_Iron, YeOfLittleFaith (2 times), Trevelyan, ianmuff, ZidanReign, Sage of Eyes, legoguydude, KooriRenchuu, Break, Keyne
    Bless you Hymn.

Eh? What about the times you kill yourself and get back up?
    Didn't remember that. It is inconsistent than. You have to die in your tomb (where the diary on the walls is) in order to respawn at the entrance and get out. You can find a hand of a previous incarnation, which means that you left a body behind.

So.. Maybe it depends on how you want it to go? I.e. you can (and this is a default option) respawn into new body (with previous one either staying or disappearing), or you can come back to live in this one. Something like this.