Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.2 Upgrade Complete.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Well, yes, which is why I'm not sure about "machine-enforced systems" in general.
    It's that way or the highway. Manual is not an option.

That's not always true, though, particularly if you're posting large amounts of material (e.g. fic chapters). I don't think it's reasonable to just expect everyone to wait 10 minutes in all circumstances.
    No, because in 95% of the circumstances they shouldn't be waiting 10min to double post. The 5% remaining can do so if they need to.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    It's that way or the highway. Manual is not an option.
    Well, it seemed to be working just fine before....

No, because in 95% of the circumstances they shouldn't be waiting 10min to double post. The 5% remaining can do so if they need to.
    Ah, yes, the usual "inconvinience everyone else because of a few idiots" approach.

And, it's really not that simple if, for example, you're posting a bunch of fic chapters. I suspect it won't affect DP, though, because he can probably just bypass it if he gets irritated by it....

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Well, it seemed to be working just fine before....
    Which is to say it wasn't. There's a reason why I was happy it happened.

Ah, yes, the usual "inconvinience everyone else because of a few idiots" approach.
    Kind of the opposite: Inconvenience the few that need to doublepost while the rest can just the merge happen. It's better for most.

And, it's really not that simple if, for example, you're posting a bunch of fic chapters. I suspect it won't affect DP, though, because he can probably just bypass it if he gets irritated by it....
    Who posts multiple chapters in a row, anyways?

You seem to be opposing on principle with little-to-no valid arguments for said opposition. Given that, I suppose there's no point in further argument. I'm out.
    Last edited by Kyte; June 10th, 2012 at 04:34 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Which is to say it wasn't. There's a reason why I was happy it happened.
    I don't recall seeing that much double-posting, and the mods can always deal with it if it's persistant.

Kind of the opposite: Inconvenience the few that need to doublepost while the rest can just let their posts get merged automatically.
    What happens if the combined post is too long, though?

That is a serious potential problem, although it is admittedly less of one given the post length limits on the forum.

Who posts multiple chapters in a row, anyways?
    I've seen it before.

Blog Entries
    I didn't even know there was a post length limit tbh.
    <Spinach> Yes Verg
    <Spinach> I need this
    <Spinach> Yessss

<Satehi> don't do it malgos
    <Satehi> don't
    <Satehi> yamete

<@RacingeR> Laputa would only fit if it was Kratos

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Also, what would happen if the combined posts were too long to fit into a single post (which would be the one occasion I could see good reason for double-posting in short order, although it's hard to see why that would be the case in the forum)?
    Presumably it's able to force-merge them anyway, though admittedly, I don't know.

Also, does the new post get the timestamp of the first one, or the second one? Because sometimes a post edit will get missed due to everyone having already read the post, and if it's important enough then that might be why the person double-posted.
    Timestamps are updated to the second post (or consecutive) posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    I honestly dislike the "My Activity" addition...is there some way to change the settings to only allow friends to see it or something?
    The "What's New?" changing the way it did also bugs me...
    Profile Privacy settings in your user settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    On the same vein as mike, will merged doubleposts still bump the thread/show there's new content? Particularly for RPs when announcements are made.
    Pretty sure it will, since it is updating the timestamp.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    Presumably it's able to force-merge them anyway, though admittedly, I don't know.
    Hmm, that probably should be tested, before someone gets hit by it....

Does it apply to all posts (including in blogs), or only to forum posts?

Timestamps are updated to the second post (or consecutive) posts.
    Ah, OK.

So, it basically allows you to bump via double-posting, without producing multiple posts.

That is actually quite useful, particularly since it will automatically take into account whether another post was made....

Blog Entries
    The RSS feed icons are a bit illegible with the white on orange look, imo at least.

Blog Entries
    Hmm, that probably should be tested, before someone gets hit by it....

Does it apply to all posts (including in blogs), or only to forum posts?
    I don't know. Blogs are technically a separate module from the forum, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by NuitTombee View Post
    The RSS feed icons are a bit illegible with the white on orange look, imo at least.
    Got a better one? I could easily replace the image no problem.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Old Quote Crap!

99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    Wait, RSS feed icon? Where?

Blog Entries
    Right in front of your face.

Old Quote Crap!

Blog Entries
    What size limit?

Edit: Also, this might be helpful. http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/free-rs...ultimate-list/
    Last edited by NuitTombee; June 10th, 2012 at 05:12 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't know. Blogs are technically a separate module from the forum, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't apply.
    Well, IIRC the limit on blogs is lower, so the issue of hitting the post length limit when the posts are combined could plausibly hit people there (although I guess we've already managed to bump the limit up somewhat with our last argument...).

You really should test it, because if it truncates the post it would be really annoying, given how much effort goes into writing a post that long.

Blog Entries
    Well, IIRC the limit on blogs is lower, so the issue of hitting the post length limit when the posts are combined could plausibly hit people there (although I guess we've already managed to bump the limit up somewhat with our last argument...).

You really should test it, because if it truncates the post it would be really annoying, given how much effort goes into writing a post that long.
    I doubt it'd truncate it. It'd probably just do the old system like it did before - "Your post was too long. Say it in less characters, you dumbass."

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I doubt it'd truncate it. It'd probably just do the old system like it did before - "Your post was too long - say it in less characters, you dumbass."
    The difference is that, before, you could just get around that by double-posting. Now you can't, which is bad. It's no problem for you, because you just increase the limit, but I can't do that, so I end up not being able to express my opinion properly.

Blog Entries
    The difference is that, before, you could just get around that by double-posting. Now you can't, which is bad. It's no problem for you, because you just increase the limit, but I can't do that, so I end up not being able to express my opinion properly.
    Again, I'm pretty sure that in that case it would override the limit and merge the two posts after-the-fact.

But you should really still try to say it in as few words as possible. Backing up the post table is one of the longest things in our backup system (nearly a minute and a half is spent on this alone when most other tables are literally done in hundredths of a second) because of the fact I've allowed such gratuitous post limits.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Again, I'm pretty sure that in that case it would override the limit and merge the two posts after-the-fact.
    Well, that's what I'd hope, but if it's not, then it'd be a real pain in some circumstances.

But you should really still try to say it in as few words as possible. Backing up the post table is one of the longest things in our backup system (nearly a minute and a half is spent on this alone when most other tables are literally done in hundredths of a second) because of the fact I've allowed such gratuitous post limits.
    Well, you weren't exactly any better.

And, sorry, but I simply can't do that, even more so when a) I'm angry and b) the "fewer words" would consist of things like "asshole", which would get me banned. It's much easier to avoid being verbose when you're not going to get in trouble for expressing your true opinion....

Blog Entries
    Well, you weren't exactly any better.
    Part of this was quoting your posts in kind, though.

And, sorry, but I simply can't do that, even more so when a) I'm angry and b) the "fewer words" would consist of things like "asshole", which would get me banned. It's much easier to avoid being verbose when you're not going to get in trouble for expressing your true opinion....
    Then do try to learn how to do it. Getting across what you want in fewer words is superior communication, after all. The guy who can argue what he wants in 100 words versus the guy who needs a thousand could theoretically argue ten times quicker.

As for the swearing? That's totally your self control (or lack of it, as the case may be if you wind up doing it). It tends to make you lose arguments, too, since you then look childish.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Part of this was quoting your posts in kind, though.
    Do quotes count? I thought they didn't....

Then do try to learn how to do it. Getting across what you want in fewer words is superior communication, after all. The guy who can argue what he wants in 100 words versus the guy who needs a thousand could theoretically argue ten times quicker.
    I'm very poor at it, though.

As for the swearing? That's totally your self control (or lack of it, as the case may be if you wind up doing it). It tends to make you lose arguments, too, since you then look childish.
    Not really, it's just easier to be concise when I don't have to pussyfoot around what I really want to say.

JP Friend Code
    073,368,820/Kyte
    US Friend Code
    ded
    Blog Entries
    How did this devolve into DP vs Mike again? Jeez, is every change a personal attack against you, Mike?

And seriously, I can't find the goddamn RSS icon.