Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [FSN/Tsukihime AU] Solstice Reverse

Is it possible to reason with monsters?

RIN
    // December 5th, 2007

Solstice Reverse: A meteorological anomaly that manifested at random intervals in the region around Misaki, Japan, wherein unexplained atmospheric distortions resulted in temperatures upwards of thirty-six degrees Celsius at the height of winter. The strange phenomenon was in fact a byproduct of a periodic increase in the spiritual proximity of the Moon, focused to the city by the presence of the White Princess of the True Ancestors, who slumbered deep within the earth below.

In 1871, the Princess had become the final vessel of the entity known as Type-Moon -- an extraterrestrial intelligence that served as the primary agent to the mandates of the counter force of Luna.

The occurrence of the Solstice Reverse enabled the undertaking of a procedure to extract from the mind of Type-Moon the knowledge of one's desire -- a recurring ritual called the "Phantasmal Summer," wherein, granted lower-order access of the Moon's memories, participants could summon forth figures of legendary stature as proxies in a tournament to the death; a "War."

It was not by the now-lost 3rd Magic that these Heroic Spirits were materialized. Rather, their forms were comprised of etherlite weaves, fabricated via a technique supplied by the House Eltnam.

The nature of the Servants' manifestation prevented them from expressing more than a small fraction of the strength they held in life, but as their every action was now realized through alchemical modulation, their Masters could impose a limited number of absolute overrides upon their autonomy -- "Command Seals," which upon expenditure forced a Servant to comply perfectly with the intent of a verbalized command. Since the 3rd War, this feature had been a staple of the system.

//

Or at least, this was true as far as Tohsaka Rin could determine from the records kept by her family.

The House Tohsaka was one of the three sponsors of the War, and thus maintained highly detailed records of relevant occurrences. Of the first two Phantasmal Summers, however, archived information was irregularly scant -- possibly censored for reasons unknown to Rin.

She sighed and closed thick, leatherbound tome before her, wiping the sweat from her forehead with the back of her hand. Placing the book back into the shelf, she glared at the presently defunct air conditioner behind her father's old maplewood desk.

In the three days since she had arrived, the machine had randomly stopped functioning more than four times, and she hadn't been able to get consistently cold air out of it despite hours of messing with the controls. Airing out the room hadn't helped much with the muggy heat, and she was somewhat fearful that the humidity outdoors would fill the rare manuscripts in the study with splotches of mildew.

"Bastard priest should be back from Italy in a few days," she muttered, thinking aloud as she closed the windows. "I'll get him to install a new one when he arrives. Should be ready in time for the War."

Exiting, Rin reengaged the study's defenses as she locked the door; a glowing formalcraft flashed briefly across the wooden surface at the door's center. It was doubtful that an infiltrator would be to bypass the layered bounded field at the limits of the property, but Misaki was theoretically enemy territory, and it couldn't hurt to be cautious.

The city of Misaki was built upon a spiritual territory traditionally beyond the jurisdiction of the Magecraft Association. Since the sixteen hundreds, it had been under the administration of the House Tohno, a clan of demon hunters. Being highly capable in their chosen trade, the Tohno were quick to terminate any unauthorized supernatural activity within their domain. Needless to say, they had been entangled in the history of the Phantasmal Summers since the beginning.

Of what information Rin could gather regarding the 1st War, one clear fact emerged: It was nothing that could be described as a competition or tournament.

Seven Servants had been summoned, but rather than being set against one another as was later customary, they were imposed with the singular purpose of eliminating one man -- Tohno Shiki, the 7th Generation Head of the House Tohno.

It was an execution all but in name -- a death-trap designed on the certainty that no living human of the modern era could ever hope to defeat a Heroic Spirit in direct confrontation. The outcome, however, proved otherwise.

By means unrecorded (or removed from the archives?), the Tohno patriarch had effortlessly massacred the Servants, emerging from the encounter utterly unscathed. To Tohsaka Rin, who had spent ten years familiarizing herself with the theoretical capabilities of Servants, such an act was nothing short of monstrous -- not because it was necessarily evil, but because she couldn't comprehend how such an unreasonable victory could've come to pass in the first place.

Perhaps the mistake had been in presuming Tohno to be human? Several of the documents in the archive had mentioned rumors that the family had interbred with the fiendish-kind sometime in the Edo period. If this were true, was the massacre an exercise of literally inhuman power?

'Human or not, Father was somehow on friendly enough terms with the man to make deals with him,' she thought, pausing in the hallway before the bedroom she'd shared with her sister as a child. 'If I survive the War, I'll have to look into whether or not I can overturn that arrangement of theirs.'

//

The Tohno clan was not a lineage of magi.

Unlike the House Tohsaka, they had no real interest in reaching the Swirl of the Root. The sole purpose of their participation in the Phantasmal Summer was to permanently end its recurrence, and if not for fear of reprisal from the Magecraft Association, they might have long ago dismantled the Grand Ritual that arbitrated the tournament's automatic features.

To preempt any hostilities in the event of their success, they had negotiated a binding contract with Atlas and the Clock Tower: Should the House Tohno manage to bring about a cessation of the Solstice Reverse in the course of a War, the Association would act in perpetuity to prevent its members from seeking retribution. In exchange, the House Tohno would unconditionally permit the use of Misaki as the stage of the War.

However, after attaining another overwhelming victory in the 2nd War, Tohno Shiki and his clan had ceased to seriously participate. In the two subsequent Wars, he'd pursued his goals through progressively weaker proxies. Of the nature of the knowledge he'd managed to extract from Moon Cell, nobody knew a thing.

'If he's so strong, why doesn't he just steamroll the competition every War?' wondered Rin, staring out at the city skyline from a window seat on the overground rail. 'It can't be because he's gotten weaker in his old age, can it?'

It was a thought arrived at largely in jest; Rin was disinclined to place much stock in it. Tohno had been alive for roughly a century and a half, and appeared no older than fifty. Based on the observations of her familiars, his physical conditioning still far exceeded that of trained athletes.

Still, it was probable a fall-off in combat capability that placed him below the strength of the average Heroic Spirit wouldn't be detectable to an amateur such as herself. Such a circumstance could've very well prevented him from participating in the War per his original modus operandi.

'It isn't a very satisfying answer, though,' she thought, hugging her overnight bag to her abdomen. 'It feels more like ...'

"He became disillusioned with the War itself?"

//

As Rin neared her destination, thoughts of the War were driven from her mind by the biting cold of the air.

Kugamine University Hospital was a large medical facility in the suburbs, situated at the border of the domain of Misaki. As such, during the Solstice Reverse, the local temperatures tended to vary drastically based on fluctuations in the mana flow beneath the earth. Donning the coat and scarf she'd packed in her overnight bag, Rin stepped out on to soggy layer of snow that covered the pavement.

The four minute walk from the station was uneventful and unpleasantly icy; by the time she passed into the welcoming warmth of the hospital's central heating, she was berating herself for not thinking to bring along a longer skirt.

A senior member of the nursing staff greeted her when she arrived in the long term care ward.

"Good to see you again, Miss Tohsaka," said the plump woman, smiling.

Nodding politely, Rin said, "You too, Nurse Tanaka."

"Father Kotomine isn't with you this time?"

"He's overseas visiting his daughter right now. You'll probably have a chance to see him in the next few weeks, though."

Nurse Tanaka seemed slightly crestfallen at her response, but pushed onwards out of curiosity.

"He has a daughter?"

"From before he took his vows," clarified Rin. "I believe she's a few years older than me."

The nurse 'hmmed,' and smiled a bit dreamily as she pulled out the guest sign-in clipboard for Rin. Tanaka was a nice, helpful woman, but to Rin her obsession with the bastard priest was a bit disturbing. Anyone who found Kotomine Kirei attractive obviously didn't know him well enough.

When her business at the nurse's station was done and over with, Rin picked up her overnight bag and walked the final distance to the end of the hall -- the part of the journey that always seemed the longest. She didn't immediately enter when she reached the door. Instead, pressing her foreteeth against her lower lip, she knocked.

"Come in," said a woman's voice from within.

Exhaling, Rin pushed open the door and entered. The gaunt, green-haired woman seated on the bed slowly turned her eyes from the flurry of snow beyond the window and looked at Rin. It was a dreadfully vacant gaze -- a dreadfully vacant smile.

"Oh!" exclaimed the woman cheerfully. "Hello, Sakura."

Rin forced herself to smile.

"Hello, Mother."
    Last edited by fallacies; July 1st, 2012 at 05:51 AM.

I see Aoi subscribes to the Kyoko Soryu school of child upbringing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm assuming Aoi subscribes to the "I'm horribly brain-damaged and can't even remember who my kids are" school of child upbringing....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    I'm assuming Aoi subscribes to the "I'm horribly brain-damaged and can't even remember who my kids are" school of child upbringing....
    That's what I said.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No, she can remember her kids. She just can't recognize the real ones and identify them with the ones in her memories. Not correctly.

Ergo, Kyoko.

Quote Originally Posted by lethum View Post
    No, she can remember her kids. She just can't recognize the real ones and identify them with the ones in her memories. Not correctly.

Ergo, Kyoko.
    At least she doesn't have a doll she calls "Rin".

I think.

I hope.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lethum View Post

Ergo, Kyoko.
    Yeah, I don't know who that is, so....

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    At least she doesn't have a doll she calls "Rin".

I think.

I hope.
    Nah. But she has a kendo champion turned English teacher that she calls Rin-chan.

- - - Updated - - -

Kyoko Zeppelin Sohryu, mother of Asuka Langley Sohryu. Select any of those two names, right click and pick "Search '<name>' in Google". The wiki should be informative enough if you want to know more.

Ever tried using Google?

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    Good, I'm glad that some action got balanced in with all the words. Kept it from feeling like it dragged too much.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    So many questions all of a sudden...

Why the huge gap in between the Wars? And how did Shiki manage to insert himself into the Meiji Era?

Also, I see the Tohsaka have seemed to switch to witchcraft for some reason.

There is only one conclusion here. Fallacy, you tease. =P

Blog Entries
    Delicious.
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Hmm...interesting.

Aoi...well...strangulation mama~
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

Only a human can slay a monster.

BIRD OF HERMES
    // December 6th, 2007

The flock of white pigeons in the parking lot were irregularly agitated. With beady golden eyes, they watched as the proud, sullen, twin-tailed girl left the lot, trodding tiredly upright toward the rail station in the warm morning sun. When she well out of sight, they took to the air -- almost as one.

There was the sound of wings.

Where the birds had gathered, there now stood a man -- an elderly Caucasian gentleman, dressed in a cream-white bespoke suit of elegant make. Across the back of the hand in which he gripped his silver-knobbed cane, there was a tattoo-like insignia -- a blood-red cross with a single wing on its right. To the left, there was a blurry smear that might've once been a coherent shape.

"It doesn't seem as if the current Tohsaka heir is very attentive," he said, staring in the direction the girl had vanished in through black, round-framed shades. "As her senior in the ways of thaumaturgy, it would only be proper of me to provide her an education in her failings, no? What say you, Lancer?"

There wasn't any reply, but the old man chuckled heartily, as if in response to a particularly humorous joke. Turning, he proceeded to the hospital entrance with a wide, friendly grin, walking past a puddle left by the melted snow.

In the water, he made no reflection.

//

The nurse named Tanaka wouldn't remember it, but when the foreign gentleman lowered his shades, she was instantly captivated by the uniqueness of his golden irises. Metallic in color, they were reflective enough that they might have been glowing -- like the eyes of a feline in the dark.

"Good day, Miss," he said, making eye contact. "I would be most appreciative if you could direct me to the room of Tohsaka Aoi."

"Why, of course, sir," she replied. "Her room number is six-fifty-one -- the door to the right at the end of the hallway. I'll need you to sign in before I let you go on ahead, though."

The gentleman smiled.

"You have my gratitude, my good woman," he said, "but I'm sure that won't be necessary. Just who is it that you've been talking with these past minutes, by the way? I don't see anyone here aside from yourself."

Tanaka blinked, finding herself suddenly alone at the nurse's station. Standing up from her seat, she leaned out over the counter and scanned the all-too-empty corridor. It was odd; she was certain she had been speaking to a guest -- but for the life of her, their features escaped her memory.

Had she nodded off at some point?

//

"It's much as I expected," said the man, tenderly stroking the face of the sleeping woman. "Relatively high-quality circuits, but little to no formal training in magecraft." Giving a kind, grandfatherly smile as he eyed her bosom, he continued, "Tohsaka Tokiomi was a lucky man indeed."

Near the entrance of the hospital room, dark threads faded into existence, weaving into the form of a tall, pale-haired man, clad in black. Glaring at the well-dressed man with icy heat, his crimson irises promised retribution.

"There are rules of engagement," said the newcomer, dangerously. "Basic decencies that one affords his opponents in the field of battle. You would do well to observe this."

"So says the famed Lord Impaler." Calmly, the elderly man traced the curvature of the woman's breast with a cleanly manicured finger. "Accounting for the tactics you've traditionally employed against your enemies, I do find it amusing that you would so patiently advise me in the ethics of war -- but, really, you do me a disservice in your interpretation of my intent. This woman has been a casualty before the War was ever initiated."

"She is alive."

"A lifetime consigned to persistent delirium is no life at all, Lancer," said the gentleman, taking a more serious tone as he met the younger man's gaze. "The trauma she suffered in the previous iteration of the War inflicted her with a death of the mind. It pains me to see a beautiful woman in such a state."

"You seek to render a kindness to the enemy, then?" asked Lancer, creasing his brow.

The older man chuckled, cupping the woman's chin with his hand.

"Nothing so whimsical, I'm afraid," he replied. "More pragmatically, Tohsaka Aoi is a prime asset to my ambitions. It would be foolish of me to let her go to waste."

Wordlessly, Lancer clenched his jaw. Command Seals or not, he thought, Trhvmn Ortenrosse could not be permitted to live.

//

LANCER // Vlad III of Wallachia (1431-????)
    master: Trhvmn Ortenrosse
    alignment: lawful neutral (chaotic evil)

strength: C (B)
    endurance: C (A+)
    agility: B (A)
    mana: A (E)
    luck: D

The lord impaler of the Principality of Wallachia. Out of devotion and duty to his nation, he purged all who would threaten its sovereignty. However, his extreme mannerisms lent easily to the impression of a sociopath who had deviated from the mores of society; and it was for his utter ruthlessness in warfare that he came to be remembered.

On the day that Death came for him, there was no corpse to be found ...

skills

Demonic Defender of the State, Rank B (A): Capacity of the Servant to mark a region as his personal dominion by securing the surrounding leylines prior to an engagement, permitting reinforcement of his combat capabilities and self-restoration when fighting in defense. Kazıklı Bei is a Noble Phantasm that may be deployed only within the marked domain. Demonic Defender is an ability similar to the Caster class skill Territory Creation.

Battle Continuation, Rank A: Capacity to pursue combat even in the condition of potentially debilitating injury; capacity to disengage while injured and successfully escape to friendly territory for purposes of restoration. Used in conjunction with Demonic Defender of the State.

Protection of the Faith, Rank B (A+++): A probability-based protection derived of religious faith, which asserts itself as a distortion of reality -- founded in a sense of the absoluteness of one's flesh and soul. However, a high rank in this skill is often accompanied by distortion of the personality. Though the skill classifies as a sort of divine protection, it is not in fact provided by a bond with a higher power.

Riding, Rank E: Common vehicles and animal mounts may be handled with above-average proficiency.

noble phantasms

Kazıklı Bei // The Lord of Execution - Rank C (A), Anti-Army
    A noble phantasm deployable only within the Servant's marked domain. Within a range of 1 kilometer, a maximum of 20 thousand pikes can gradually manifest over time, bursting from the ground to impale opponents. Manifested pikes remain as a physical barrier that eliminates free ground, and evasion thus becomes less likely with passage of time. The sight of the pikes impose a curse-like psychological effect, destabilizing an opponent's mental condition with oppressive anxiety or fear.

The Dragon // Aggregate of War - Rank B, Support
    1-time use support type Noble Phantasm. In the condition that the Servant's desire to live exceeds a certain threshold upon fatal injury, death may be 'refused.' Thereafter, the Servant permanently assumes the aspect of a Dead Apostle, obtaining the vampiric Curse of Restoration, the Mystic Eyes of Enchantment, and certain other abilities and weaknesses. However, the Servant's capacity to receive prana from his Master significantly decreases.

(Note that following activation of the above Noble Phantasm, the Servant effectively becomes a collective of the wraiths -- an aggregate of the deaths he has inflicted. In this state, his capabilities are similar to that of Nero Chaos.)
    Last edited by fallacies; June 27th, 2012 at 03:20 AM.

Quick Character Reference, Snippet #1-#4

Three Families
    Tohsaka
    Tohno
    Eltnam

House Tohsaka, Primary Heirs
    1st: Nagato - founder
    3rd: Eiji ( -1935) - Head of House Tohsaka during 1st & 2nd Phantasmal Summers
    5th: Tokiomi( -1997)
    6th: Rin (1990- )

Current Members of the House Tohsaka
    Rin
    Aoi - Rin's mother

House Tohno, Primary Heirs
    5th: Makihisa ( -1867)
    6th: Akiha (1850-1882)
    7th: Shiki - (1849- )

Current Members of the House Tohno
    Shiki - 7th Generation Head of House
    Sakura - adopted from House Tohsaka
    Shinji
    Byakuya - Shinji's father

Church
    Kotomine Kirei - mediator of the 5th Phantasmal Summer. Rin's legal guardian.
    Caren Ortensia - Kirei's daughter. A nun.

Vampires

Brunestud of the Crimson Moon - Type:Moon, enforcer to the will of Luna. The dormant remains of his (her?) mind are a near-perfect record of human existence, collectively known as the Moon Cell -- the core of the ritual of the Phantasmal Summer.

Arcueid Brunestud - White Princess of the True Ancestors. After an incident involving the now-eradicated House Einzbern in 1871, she became host of the Crimson Moon, and was subsequently sealed beneath the city of Misaki. The phenomenon of the Solstice Reverse manifested as a result.

Trhvmn Ortenrosse - 17th Dead Apostle Ancestor; the Lord of the White Wing. Leader of the conservative faction of the Dead Apostles; opposed by Altrouge Brunestud, the leader of the progressive faction. Ortenrosse is a participant of the 5th Phantasmal Summer.

Known Masters & Servants

Tohno Sakura // Assassin - Li Shuwen (1864–1934)
    Trhvmn Ortenrosse // Lancer - Vlad III of Wallachia (1431- )

Others
    Tanaka Natsue - Senior nurse at long-term care ward in Kugamine University Hospital. Age 43, single.
    Zakariya Eltnam Merovech - Master of Saber in the 1st War.
    Last edited by fallacies; June 26th, 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Ah, good timing on the family listing. And Aoi is going to be playing the role of a vampire's wife in tonight's production of Dracula.
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    *squints* Sakura and Shinji adopted by the Tohnos? Would there be a explanation for this later on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Elf, dealing fanfic crack for Beast Lair since 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    Elf: Crack Dealer. Story at eleven.
    'Fae is Foul' - My SAO/ZnT Crossover fanfic (SB Thread) (FFN Link)

But why did he become so strong?

KALEIDOSCOPE'S END
    // 1871

It was not blindness that awaited him when she'd torn his eyes from their sockets. As if to represent the world in the character of ukiyo-e, the outlines of objects remained within the pitch dark, shaded with fine, ever-changing cracks. Their color was as the afterglow of an extinguished flame, etched behind closed eyelids.

Ignoring the pain and the blood-tears that streaked his face, he made to cut at the woman's throat -- quickly enough that a Dead Apostle would've been hard-put to evade. The edge of the blade moved through empty air.

"Interesting," said the woman, now crouched halfway across the ritual circle with her legs spread in a lewd position, unmindful of her nakedness. "I had assumed that like the Rainbow Eyes of my original vessel, your ability operated merely by the odic pathways of the oculi -- but it seems to be more deeply rooted."

Of the things within the cavern -- the stalactites overhead; the circle of symbols that covered the flat, carved surface of the ground; the dismembered corpses of the foreigners -- the outline of the woman's form alone contained not a single crack. If they existed, Shiki couldn't perceive them; they were beyond his understanding. If he hadn't any prior knowledge, this would've been evidence enough that the entity now inhabiting the body was not Arcueid. The flaws that had existed within her had been corrected.

"Leave her," he said evenly.

The woman laughed.

"You really don't understand, do you, boy?" she said in a sultry, teasing tone. "You believe that I'm merely possessing your dear little Arcueid like some lowly wraith, but that isn't the case at all. She was always my creature -- a terminal of mine, crafted in the image of my flesh. You can no more remove me from her than you can sever yourself from Alaya."

In a step, Shiki crossed the distance, thrusting his knife at her. Rather than dodging again, however, she parried the strike with a clawed hand; and with her other arm, directed a whirlwind of energy at him. Forced to drop the offensive, Shiki attempted hastily to sidestep the attack -- but felt its pressure crack several of his ribs.

"I can damn well try," he said through grit teeth, clutching his chest. "You've never been able take control of her until now."

"For that, you have these silly Einzberns to thank," said the woman, gesturing at the corpses deposited about the boundaries of the ritual circle. "They managed to significantly increase Arcueid's synchronicity with my existence, thinking to boost the potency of her Marble Phantasm to the level where they might artificially incarnate long-deceased humans. Fortunately for me, the process is quite irreversible."

She padded closer to Shiki, touching his chin with a sharp fingernail.

"But don't worry." The woman's expression suddenly lost its predatory tinge, and she smiled at him more innocently. In a lighter, more girlish voice, she said, "I haven't forgotten the times we spent together just because I'm now one with the Crimson Moon, Shiki. Give yourself to me, and I'll always be at your side."

"I don't think so," said a male voice.

A beam of kaleidoscopic light -- multicolored even to Shiki's vision -- blasted from the far end of the chamber. The woman was unscathed, however, having moved out of the way just in time.

"Zelretch," she said, unamused. "It seems that setting the taint of my blood against you wasn't enough."

The source of the beam -- a club-like sword that looked to be carved from a single jewel -- was held in the unsteady hand of an ancient man, covered in wounds. Breathing hard, he glared at the woman.

"Two can play at that," he said.

With more force than Shiki thought he could muster, Zelretch gripped the jeweled sword before him -- and the lines within it multiplied rapidly. Ten-fold; hundred-fold; thousand-fold -- and then, right as the mineral began to shatter, none at all.

Polished marble flooring raced outwards from beneath the old man's feet, replacing the carved granite ground of the cavern; and overhead, elegant arches extended upwards, forming a ceiling. Shiki recognized this place: It was --

"The Millenium Castle!?" exclaimed the woman, attempting to dodge the chains that were now continuously manifesting about her. "But I can't sense my essence within it ..."

With each step, however, her movement slowed -- as if the environment itself were sapping her strength. Inevitably, the chains encircled her, suspending her in the air as she struggled with futility.

"How are you doing this, Magus!?" she shouted, enraged. "You are no Brunestud! You are no terminal of mine!"

Fallen to one knee amidst the shards of his shattered sword, the old man began to laugh.

"I have turned what is yours against you," he said. "Or rather, I am sealing you by the will of Arcueid herself. Ten thousand are the worlds represented in this space -- realities in which Arcueid Brunestud emulated your Reality Marble to the purpose of preventing herself from becoming a monster. This castle is a crystallization of her self-restraint."

"I ... I shall ..." The woman grunted, as if suffering to fight overwhelming fatigue.

"You made a mistake in investing yourself so completely within Arcueid's flesh, Crimson Moon," said Zelretch. "Now sleep. Sleep until the world goes insane ..."

//

Where the whiteness had spread about the old man's flesh, his body had begun to crumble to ashes. Already, half of his torso was no longer intact.

"It seems ... that this node is ... about to expire," he said softly, with some difficulty. "I'll most likely be locked from this reality ... for some years to come ... Do you understand what I said?"

Wordlessly, Shiki nodded.

"I ... apologize. It should've been ... my burden to bear," said Zelretch. The last words were barely a whisper, no longer supported by breath from the lungs:

It wasn't your fault.

The ashen white spread to the face, and the ancient man's jaw went slack before crumbling to powder along with the rest of his skull. Soon, there was nothing left besides dust and the torn rags of the man's clothing.

"No, old man," said Shiki, emotionlessly. "You're wrong about that. It was entirely my fault."

He walked up the stairs to throne where Arcueid's body was bound.

"This happened because I wasn't strong enough."
    Last edited by fallacies; June 29th, 2012 at 01:39 AM.

Good to see the Einzbern keep up the fine tradition of screwing things up.
    Spoiler:

デューイ Free-spirited evil bounty hunter dewawer's Avatar
    You're strong, Shiki?